Is Androcell worth the money?

Shaft

I'm pretty much with visine on this one. I'll add that I think the really interesting and original music to my ears is the stuff that happens between genres, not in the center of them. I honestly can't stand when an artist emulates another, although I do admit it's very hard to avoid being inspired by, or having one's ideas derive from, one's favorite artists.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree. Originality is very much possible regardless of the genre one's work is released in. Hux Flux "Cryptic Crynch" was very original for it's time of release and never became a "genre" on it's own. People still call it Psytrance.

very original? dunno, it has those sublimely original 4x4 beats, juicy bassy basslines, hi-hats, snares, flanger sound-fx and the leads are mostly FM-synths. was it original to rely on an fm-synth for the majority of the album in the year 1999? debatable. he's certainly not the first to explore those (va - dementertainment (1998) springs to mind, for examle).

still i agree though, that as an album, "cryptic crunch" was highly original. production-wise it's about as original as either shpongle or androcell. whether or not it became a "genre" on it's own is debatable aswell, generic "dark psy" sounds heavily influenced by this album to my ears. still that doesn't stop me from calling producers of that genre artists aswell, 'coz music tends to go beyond productional values. imo.

still i agree though, that as an album, "cryptic crunch" was highly original.

That's the originality I'm talking about. Not originality in terms of what tools you use to make it. I can honestly care less what was used and how as long as it sounds good to my ears.

That's the originality I'm talking about. Not originality in terms of what tools you use to make it. I can honestly care less what was used and how as long as it sounds good to my ears.

what are you going on about then in this thread? did you listen to any of androcell's albums?

I can honestly care less what was used and how as long as it sounds good to my ears.

That kind of goes against everything you said before. If you didn't care then you wouldn't care about 'sounding like someone' if you like how that someone sounds.

what are you going on about then in this thread? did you listen to any of androcell's albums?

It sort of started with him mentioning how he practiced to sound like Shpongle or Ott and grew into another topic that probably should have been another thread.

..and yes I've heard his music.

It sort of started with him mentioning how he practiced to sound like Shpongle or Ott and grew into another topic that probably should have been another thread.

considering your previous, open-hearted post, it grew into something that never shouldve been there in the first place. :drama:

That kind of goes against everything you said before. If you didn't care then you wouldn't care about 'sounding like someone' if you like how that someone sounds.

No, it does not. You're twisting my words.

Case in point, I love old Etnica/Pleiadians sound, but not a huge fan of Filteria.

Sure I'll hear Filteria and I think he's got some potential, but he needs more of his own ideas to be something more than a tribute act to the old work of the Italian masters. Don't get me wrong I don't think less of him as a person for wanting to make music that he does. If that fulfills him I say go for it.

Old Etnica/Pleiadians I highly appreciate...Filteria not as much.

considering your previous, open-hearted post, it grew into something that never shouldve been there in the first place. :drama:

Maybe not in the thread itself but in this forum definitely. We are all here to exchange opinions and that's what I did.

If it bugs you so much ask mods to separate it into different thread.

Maybe not in the thread itself but in this forum definitely. We are all here to exchange opinions and that's what I did.

If it bugs you so much ask mods to separate it into different thread.

afaik the artist in question (or producer as you would call him) merely stated how he made his album(s); you express your opinion, discussion ensues, & when all is said & done, you suddenly declare you actually couldn't care less how the albums are made. ofcourse, when opinions are exchanged, risk follows that opinions will be changed. ah well.

..and yes I've heard his music.

:lol: haha, please show me where I said I "practiced to sound like Shpongle or Ott"??

I believe I stated how I was influenced by some of their production tricks and taught myself how to do some of them myself.

This was in order to learn how to do these tricks so I could do it in my own way, grow from the learning process, and find new ways to take it beyond. The true fans here understand that I have a sound that stands as my own because they've listened to it enough to know I have the talent to express my own emotions while being influenced by production sorcery from many different "artists". I just keep learning by listening and experimenting. I don't claim to be a music "artist". I'm an electronic music producer, and the more I know and learn from, the happier I am. :drama:

:lol: haha, please show me where I said I "practiced to sound like Shpongle or Ott"??

Well I just asked, (I did not say you did so) here:

I'm not sure I quite understand. Are you saying you practiced to sound like Shpongle and Ott and than you released your practice/work on your albums?

I believe I stated how I was influenced by some of their production tricks and taught myself how to do some of them myself.

This was in order to learn how to do these tricks so I could do it in my own way, grow from the learning process, and find new ways to take it beyond. The true fans here understand that I have a sound that stands as my own because they've listened to it enough to know I have the talent to express my own emotions while being influenced by production sorcery from many different "artists". I just keep learning by listening and experimenting. I don't claim to be a music "artist". I'm an electronic music producer, and the more I know and learn from, the happier I am. :drama:

OK cool. Thanks for taking your time to explain.

afaik the artist in question (or producer as you would call him) merely stated how he made his album(s); you express your opinion, discussion ensues, & when all is said & done, you suddenly declare you actually couldn't care less how the albums are made. ofcourse, when opinions are exchanged, risk follows that opinions will be changed. ah well.

Nope, my opinion did not change, although it's possible your understanding of it did.

respect :drama: kids seem to be missing it these days

Whatever.

read this again:

I'm not sure I quite understand. Are you saying you practiced to sound like Shpongle and Ott and than you released your practice/work on your albums?

Please forgive me if I misunderstood or if what I say comes across wrong, but if I was an artist releasing music and wanted to practice how to make certain equipment sound like some other musicians I would not release that as my own work. I'd go for originality within my own skillset, not trying to emulate what someone else did on purpose.

Again, I'm not 100% sure I understood you right so disregrad what I said if you meant something different in your original post.

I don't see any disrespect im my original and only reply to Androcell.

Maybe your kind of respect automatically excludes questioning, but mine does not.

Whatever.

read this again:

I don't see any disrespect im my original and only reply to Androcell.

Maybe your kind of respect automatically excludes questioning, but mine does not.

my kind of respect automaticly excludes drawing premature conclusions when you don't get your answers immediately.

It sort of started with him mentioning how he practiced to sound like Shpongle or Ott

Well I just asked

that's a statement. not a question.

I don't see much value in trying to sound like someone else. Sure, you listen to someone's work and you get influenced by it, but to make your music sound like what you heard, and conscously say "I want to sound like XYZ artist"? That's a bit overboard I think.

that's a bit overboard i think. unless you're trying to tell me this opinion is *totally unrelated* to your original & only reply to androcell.

Then if you have an artist saying he/she is trying to emulate someone else to me it sounds like a work of a producer because hey something is produced, but an artist? Not in my book.

'cleverly' evading the fact an artist is primarily trying to convey emotion, no matter how much affinity the technique utilised shares with other techniques previously utilised. unless ofcourse, you're trying to tell me this opinion aswell is *totally unrelated* to your original & only reply to androcell.

but before you quote yourself saying "this belonged in another thread", lemme just say: you win, whatever. respek.

my kind of respect automaticly excludes drawing premature conclusions when you don't get your answers immediately.

Dude there were no conclusions made on my part prematurely. Maybe if you inderstood that defending your favorite artist when he's not even being attacked is a lame way to show your loyalty you'd take your time to realize there was no harm meant to Androcell.

QUOTE(visine @ Nov 14 2007, 07:34 PM)

It sort of started with him mentioning how he practiced to sound like Shpongle or Ott

QUOTE(visine @ Nov 14 2007, 08:30 PM)

Well I just asked

that's a statement. not a question.

A statement you chose to quote only partially.

Here it is in its full glory:

I asked the question and discussions that went on beyond that were not directly linked to Androcell's work. Not on my part anyways. Perhaps you understood it differently and tried to "defend" him which now to me seems more and more obvious.

I don't see much value in trying to sound like someone else. Sure, you listen to someone's work and you get influenced by it, but to make your music sound like what you heard, and conscously say "I want to sound like XYZ artist"? That's a bit overboard I think.

that's a bit overboard i think. unless you're trying to tell me this opinion is *totally unrelated* to your original & only reply to androcell.

Yes it is unrelated to my original reply to Androcell.

Then if you have an artist saying he/she is trying to emulate someone else to me it sounds like a work of a producer because hey something is produced, but an artist? Not in my book.

'cleverly' evading the fact an artist is primarily trying to convey emotion, no matter how much affinity the technique utilised shares with other techniques previously utilised. unless ofcourse, you're trying to tell me this opinion aswell is *totally unrelated* to your original & only reply to androcell.

Please stop puting words into my mouth.

but before you quote yourself saying "this belonged in another thread", lemme just say: you win, whatever. respek.

Dude this is not about winning or losing and it's not about being attacked or need to defend someone.

A questions was asked, and an answer was given...story's over as far as I'm concerned........

......unless you got another one of those "and that's why you're not a producer" or " kids have no respect nowdays" kinda comments.

to be honest androcell isn't quite my cup of tea. never managed to sit through his work. maybe you shouldve asked that first before jumping to conclusions & misinterpreting my words to your likings/benefit. kids, no respect nowadays. :D

Please forgive me if I misunderstood or if what I say comes across wrong, but if I was an artist releasing music and wanted to practice how to make certain equipment sound like some other musicians I would not release that as my own work. I'd go for originality within my own skillset, not trying to emulate what someone else did on purpose.

Again, I'm not 100% sure I understood you right so disregrad what I said if you meant something different in your original post.

i understand what tyler is saying here. but his albums are by no means copies of sphongle. he has explored some of the same production techniques and used them as part of his sound, and there is nothing wrong with that. if you as a listener are looking for artists who are 100% original in their work, you will not listen to a single new record for as long as you live. harmonic teachings, sound design, melodic structures etc etc, these things have been explored for hundreds of years now, and what sphongle and many other electronic musicians use as a basis to all their compositions is musical ground allready discovered and documented years and years ago (i am NOT saying simon p isn't very very good at what he does, i am just saying that he did not invent nor re-invent the wheel by any means). point is.. without enigma, there would be no simon posford, without tangerine dream and kraftwerk, there would be no enigma, without beatles and stones, there would be no kraftwerk or tangerine dream and without wolfgang amadeus mozart, there would not be a beatles or stones (etc.)

also, you make it sound like simon posford MAKES his own instruments. he does not. he goes out, purchases synths made by others and uses those instruements to create his sound. we all do. the beatles did not build their own guitars? furthermore, just because beatles used guitars as a backbone in their sound, is every band after them copycats for also using guitars? if it is so important to you as a listener to find truely original artists, i suggest you look A LOT deeper than the artists talked about in this community and ones of similar character. there simply are none.

we need to start using our smarts here fellas; focus our attention to the music, and not to all the bullshit arguments that arises when you try to compare one piece of music to another.

i understand what tyler is saying here. but his albums are by no means copies of sphongle. he has explored some of the same production techniques and used them as part of his sound, and there is nothing wrong with that. if you as a listener are looking for artists who are 100% original in their work, you will not listen to a single new record for as long as you live. harmonic teachings, sound design, melodic structures etc etc, these things have been explored for hundreds of years now, and what sphongle and many other electronic musicians use as a basis to all their compositions is musical ground allready discovered and documented years and years ago (i am NOT saying simon p isn't very very good at what he does, i am just saying that he did not invent nor re-invent the wheel by any means). point is.. without enigma, there would be no simon posford, without tangerine dream and kraftwerk, there would be no enigma, without beatles and stones, there would be no kraftwerk or tangerine dream and without wolfgang amadeus mozart, there would not be a beatles or stones (etc.)

also, you make it sound like simon posford MAKES his own instruments. he does not. he goes out, purchases synths made by others and uses those instruements to create his sound. we all do. the beatles did not build their own guitars? furthermore, just because beatles used guitars as a backbone in their sound, is every band after them copycats for also using guitars? if it is so important to you as a listener to find truely original artists, i suggest you look A LOT deeper than the artists talked about in this community and ones of similar character. there simply are none.

Please read my other posts and try to understand them a bit better.

If you do that, you'll come to conclusion that a lot of the things I said basically are the same as what you're saying here.

we need to start using our smarts here fellas; focus our attention to the music, and not to all the bullshit arguments that arises when you try to compare one piece of music to another.

[fluffymushi]Kids nowdays have no respek [/fluffymushi]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please read my other posts and try to understand them a bit better.

If you do that, you'll come to conclusion that a lot of the things I said basically are the same as what you're saying here.

yeah, i should actually not have quoted that.. because it was not really a reply targeted at you, but everyone who gets involved in these kinds of discussions :)

[fluffymushi]Kids nowdays have no respek [/fluffymushi]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

what?