Is Androcell worth the money?

Shaft

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well... let's see some links then.

537313[/snapback]

Exactly! Give us the names, show us the links!

Was listening yesterday to Efflorescence and my god it's magical. The most enjoyed chill album this year.

• 1 year later...

Most of my work as Androcell was to see if I could re-produce many of the techniques that have excited or piqued my curiousity from other producers of the past. It's really all been a learning experience to gain the insight in how these things are done. Ever set a flanger FX knobs to extreme settings? If so, then you've created a "shpongle" like sound effect. Ever put an panning delay on a time-streched sound source? If so, you've created a "shpongle" sound. Ever used an ultra fat bassline and a over-delayed dub-skank in electronic music? If so, you've created that "Ott" sound. It's all easy to do and impresses your friends :wank:

The thing is, for me, the biggest compliment comes from those who criticize me with phrases like "it sounds like shpongle". Because it reaffirms that my learning process was not in vain and that I am somewhat reaching my goal in understanding how to do these techniques and processes before I can move forward as a better producer. I can't think of better influences than those producers who are revered as "the best". People who think "Androcell is worth the money" are helping support my learning process. You're basically paying to listen to my musical "hacks". I have no professional studio experience, training, or engineering degree. I'm 100% self taught through experimentation. The best part about people comparing me with Shpongle and Ott, is that these guys have had hours beyond hours of professional experience in studios, learning from professional engineers in the industry, and have been doing it a lot longer than I have. But to compare me even slightly with these guys, is a compliment to the extreme. So thanks for your negative feedback, people. It helps me grow more than you will ever know or care. :)

Many missed to point with the "definitions" of Efflorescence. Many thought I was defining it as my "highest potential" when really it's just another stepping stone to reaching maximum control and ability as a music producer. The definitions were really to describe my view of how an album should flow, just a like a good trip, it should build and build and peak then bring you back.

I learned many things from that work. I learned a lot of things that I would have done differently from that work. All in all, I put my work on the line for people to judge. It only makes me better for the next time around. :)

Most of my work as Androcell was to see if I could re-produce many of the techniques that have excited or piqued my curiousity from other producers of the past. It's really all been a learning experience to gain the insight in how these things are done. Ever set a flanger FX knobs to extreme settings? If so, then you've created a "shpongle" like sound effect. Ever put an panning delay on a time-streched sound source? If so, you've created a "shpongle" sound. Ever used an ultra fat bassline and a over-delayed dub-skank in electronic music? If so, you've created that "Ott" sound. It's all easy to do and impresses your friends :wank:

The thing is, for me, the biggest compliment comes from those who criticize me with phrases like "it sounds like shpongle". Because it reaffirms that my learning process was not in vain and that I am somewhat reaching my goal in understanding how to do these techniques and processes before I can move forward as a better producer. I can't think of better influences than those producers who are revered as "the best". People who think "Androcell is worth the money" are helping support my learning process. You're basically paying to listen to my musical "hacks". I have no professional studio experience, training, or engineering degree. I'm 100% self taught through experimentation. The best part about people comparing me with Shpongle and Ott, is that these guys have had hours beyond hours of professional experience in studios, learning from professional engineers in the industry, and have been doing it a lot longer than I have. But to compare me even slightly with these guys, is a compliment to the extreme. So thanks for your negative feedback, people. It helps me grow more than you will ever know or care. :)

Many missed to point with the "definitions" of Efflorescence. Many thought I was defining it as my "highest potential" when really it's just another stepping stone to reaching maximum control and ability as a music producer. The definitions were really to describe my view of how an album should flow, just a like a good trip, it should build and build and peak then bring you back.

I learned many things from that work. I learned a lot of things that I would have done differently from that work. All in all, I put my work on the line for people to judge. It only makes me better for the next time around. :)

I'm not sure I quite understand. Are you saying you practiced to sound like Shpongle and Ott and than you released your practice/work on your albums?

Please forgive me if I misunderstood or if what I say comes across wrong, but if I was an artist releasing music and wanted to practice how to make certain equipment sound like some other musicians I would not release that as my own work. I'd go for originality within my own skillset, not trying to emulate what someone else did on purpose.

Again, I'm not 100% sure I understood you right so disregrad what I said if you meant something different in your original post.

You learn it your self?? :blink: I m sure that you got your self some ear problems, no ? :P

Efflorescene is amazing, realy good job you did there.

So....... new release soon? :rolleyes:

if I was an artist releasing music and wanted to practice how to make certain equipment sound like some other musicians I would not release that as my own work. I'd go for originality within my own skillset, not trying to emulate what someone else did on purpose.

and that's why you're not releasing music, simple as that ;)

You're not making sense. Care to explain?

well, you seem to be forgetting androcell is releasing electronical music on a "label", into a "scene", it goes without saying he'll try & emulate the godfathers of the genre he's assimilating. your post might've made sense on a totally scene-unrelated general-music-production forum, but not here on psynews. afaik there is not a single psy-artist who doesn't draw his inspiration from the other artists in the "scene", 99,98% of the albums are composed of sounds they thought were cool & tried to emulate. basicly it goes beyond the personal input of the artist, they're all interactive links in one perpetually evolving chain.

well, you seem to be forgetting androcell is releasing electronical music on a "label", into a "scene", it goes without saying he'll try & emulate the godfathers of the genre he's assimilating. your post might've made sense on a totally scene-unrelated general-music-production forum, but not here on psynews. afaik there is not a single psy-artist who doesn't draw his inspiration from the other artists in the "scene", 99,98% of the albums are composed of sounds they thought were cool & tried to emulate. basicly it goes beyond the personal input of the artist, they're all interactive links in one perpetually evolving chain.

Dubious! :lol:

there might be some truth in your saying. But it doesnt necesarry mean ALL artist work that way. it would be a little boring if everybody only tried to emulate the sounds that are already in the 'pool' of psysounds. Luckily and sometimes unluckily some people are looking over the borders...

there might be some truth in your saying. But it doesnt necesarry mean ALL artist work that way. it would be a little boring if everybody only tried to emulate the sounds that are already in the 'pool' of psysounds. Luckily and sometimes unluckily some people are looking over the borders...

sure, the 99,98% figure mightve been a bit dramatic but you got the point allright.

Recently reading one of Metatron's posts saying this act is just boring chill - Anyone agree/disagree? I'm listening to the samples of his new album right now, trying to judge for myself, but I'd like some of your input too. :)

Boring chill?

I don't get it, I find it magical, full of mystery and deep wonderfull atmospheres, both his debut as his second one are definatly worth the money.

Androcell produces without any doubt beautifull music with high quality. :) (imo)

Love this artist very much!

Are we takling about the way the things are or the way ideally things should be?

I'll agree with the fact there is a lot of generic, copycat music outthere. Fullon is a great example.

I don't see much value in trying to sound like someone else. Sure, you listen to someone's work and you get influenced by it, but to make your music sound like what you heard, and conscously say "I want to sound like XYZ artist"? That's a bit overboard I think.

Just because you release music in the "scene" does not mean you need to sound like it. In fact, many memorable classics in Psy Trance sounded quite different than pretty much anything in the "scene" at the time it was released.

I don't think "the scene" needs artists to copy one another to survive, but it sure needs originality and fresh ideas and sounds.

I don't see much value in trying to sound like someone else. Sure, you listen to someone's work and you get influenced by it, but to make your music sound like what you heard, and conscously say "I want to sound like XYZ artist"? That's a bit overboard I think.

Why? If I buy an album and I love it I don't want only one artist to be able to write that kind of music, that would actually really suck. We have genres for a reason. If I like a genre I don't want some strange experimental stuff that might not even fit within the genre of music, yes it's original but why does that matter? As long as it's not a complete ripoff of melodies and music I have no problem with people using all the same tools to create similar sound. In fact if the musician is good we can get stuff even better than original this way. It's like the first band giving you special clay and you get to shape it, your creation might be vastly different in the end but the clay is still the same.

People have originality craze but you have got to understand that if all music was original your head would explode and you would have about 5 albums that you actually enjoyed. I understand that there are many people who use the same exact everything (including music, not just tools) and that gets tiring. I am not talking about them. When I first picked up a guitar I pretty much had an idea what sound I wanted and it wasn't some original sound, it was obviously the sound of the bands that I liked. That doesn't mean I am unoriginal it just means that I picked up the guitar in the first place because of those bands. Originality is not all it's cracked up to be.

It's like the first band giving you special clay and you get to shape it, your creation might be vastly different in the end but the clay is still the same.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying use a different clay. Sure use it, but I don't agree with wanting to have the same result in the end as someone else did before you and then release it.

Oh and my head would definitely not explode if artists were sounding more distinctly different.

I think I could handle that easily and this "scene" needs it badly.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying use a different clay. Sure use it, but I don't agree with wanting to have the same result in the end as someone else did before you and then release it.

You will pretty much never have the same exact result in the end. That would actually be an incredible feat to copy a good electronic album completely. Unlike for example rock music which you can pretty much copy 99% if you have a good ear in electronic music it's not as easy.

Oh and my head would definitely not explode if artists were sounding more distinctly different.

I think I could handle that easily and this "scene" needs it badly.

Well then go listen to jazz, metal, polka, techno, dance, etc

They are VERY different from each other and if you say you can handle it then there is a ton of different things out there. If you want psytrance then you kind of just limited yourself and want something that's not really possible. Once again, originality within a mature genre is called a new genre.

You will pretty much never have the same exact result in the end.

Maybe not 100% the same but too similar for my liking. Then if you have an artist saying he/she is trying to emulate someone else to me it sounds like a work of a producer because hey something is produced, but an artist? Not in my book.

I tend to gravitate towards originality within a genre and otherwise, and really generally have stopped caring if something is labeled "Psy Trance" or not.

You don't seem to do this and that's fine.

Well then go listen to jazz, metal, polka, techno, dance, etc

They are VERY different from each other and if you say you can handle it then there is a ton of different things out there.

I don't think it's up to you to tell me to go listen to anything. I've found what I like within and outside of psytrance thank you very much.

If you want psytrance then you kind of just limited yourself and want something that's not really possible. Once again, originality within a mature genre is called a new genre.

I don't agree. Originality is very much possible regardless of the genre one's work is released in. Hux Flux "Cryptic Crynch" was very original for it's time of release and never became a "genre" on it's own. People still call it Psytrance. Likewise Orbital had a very different sound from say Richie Hawtin but people still call them both Techno.

One can also argue that genres are just an illusion and I think there is some truth to that too.