4 Dance Electric (7:23)

5 Flying Tepy (7:59)

6 Switch Off (7:42)

7 Navigation (7:26)

8 Whoops (7:08)

9 Banana Bill (8:20)

10 Let's Dance (6:09)

The definition of cheese ...?

I don't think you NEED to be wasted to enjoy this album. It just helps. I reckon this does land within the psytrance genre, but at the same time this album represents an astonishing blend of nearly all the very characteristicas I hate within a genre I otherwise love.

Track 1 Funky Ass - even the title is hideous - is a splendid example. Samples like "Ladies and Genlemen", "Check this out", or "Okay, party in da house"(!!) haunts this track from beginning to end. Horrible! And that's before I notice the music which, in parts, actually rolls along decently. Still from the beginning I have the sensational feeling that inevitably this will apply one of those small, fatal details that turns okay to disposable. Like from 2:22. Okay beat, but then the bass does this prototypical euro-trance fuck-up at 2:28 and 2:35. It lasts a second each time, but nevertheless I KNOW right there and then that I will never be able to let this music take me anywhere. My distrust by now is too blatant.

And if I wasn't sure already the Scooter euro-trance anthem surfacing from 3:48 pushes me over the edge. At 4:05 the anthem becomes almost laughable, if it wasn't so scarily present. Halfways through (4:18) there's even a sample pronouncing "Once again" before the anthem is repeated. Are you kidding me? Or the bass playing solo from 5:13 to 5:26 with the happy melody return at 5:18. Somebody please shoot me! And let me not start on the guitar sounds and modulation applied on this album.

Honestly, I didn't set out on purpose to bash this album. Quite the contrary I wanted to trace the good parts. The problem is, it isn't bad enough to be fun, and at the same time no way near decent enough to be trustworthy. Which is a shame because parts of the album (not counting track 1 - basically nothing works here) are okay. Track 2 "There is only one" from 4:07 runs real nice. Hell, loose the samples and it's Rinkadink'ish level, but it's impossible for me to give in to the music because I constantly fear something stupid will enter. And it never fails; a dumb break (4:58) or a meaningless sample (5:06) forcing me everytime to rebuild my mood all over.

If you're into Scooter, eurotrance and the like, this might provide an introductory step to psytrance, though. You get some easy digestable melodies, breaks you never doubt are breaks, wall 2 wall full-on bass lines, and an overly impressive line-up of immensely corny party samples. To briefcase the Shakesperian level here and my personal favorite: Every motherfucker, hands up (Deep Hop Forest 0:24).

Nuff said ...

[i agree with your summary of this album whole-heartedly ... and i had such High hopes for this one ~ considering the quality of his tracks on the Doof compilations (.. in particular the final track on the Forest comp)..

oh well... maybe next time !! :)