Posford

abasio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the period of pure fanboyism towards Posford. Thought everything he touches is magnificent. Well, long gone are those days... He has made very much awerage productions too.

But anyways, Hallucinogen albums are and will always be something out of this worldy. He surely captured the pure essence of 'psychedelia' on those albums. :)

Posted Image

who the fuck?

Reasons Simon Posford Rocks

- Good Music - Lots of classics.

- Diversity - Both chillout & trance productions.

- Promotion - His label, Twisted Records, legendary.

- Evolution - Breathing loads of LIFE into psychill w/Shpongle & side projects and great support of psy chill artists through releases on Twisted Rec & Backroom Beats.

- Imaginition - Not just to create new music, but to put in secret tracks in music and also supporting the use of CD Enhanced w/MultiMedia on the 1998 Dementertainment compilation.

- Humility - He never asked to be "the elvis of psy", and as far as Im concerned has tried to downplay his own role, where others try to inflate their role in the scene. He does not have to, the reason for that MUST be creative & positive energies.

- Quality - Promoting quality in music & releases, essentially setting a standard to inspire others.

Reasons Simon Posford Sucks

I really cant think of any at this point, perhaps a bit more evolution on the trance side of things - Leaving his old sound, moving into something new... If you just listen to Hallucinogen tracks there is far too much Copy/Pasting going on... Too little diversity in the use of sounds. Then again, he ist just human, so, its ok :-)

If I knew the fellow, Im sure I would find plenty of things wrong with him - We all have our faults... For now, I just think there is more to be learned than avoided in regards to his person.

Im going for a Simon P tatoo on my left butt cheek now - Gonna be killah :-)

- Krell

I regard him pretty highly as his skillset is extremely broad and he has countless successful projects under his belt - Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Younger Brother, Celtic Cross (to name a few) - I admire that he can produce a wide variety of music. I also love the fact that he can make the actual tracks extremely diverse without losing his unique sound. :)

I don't care if he is overrated - even though it was big names in the psyscene that got me where I am as a listener - I just appreciate the great music he, and his label are producing.

Mind you, I hate the way Twisted are very slow with releasing new material... We should have had a Shpongle box set and a Western Rebel Alliance CD by now... :rolleyes:

I regard him pretty highly as his skillset is extremely broad and he has countless successful projects under his belt - Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Younger Brother, Celtic Cross (to name a few) - I admire that he can produce a wide variety of music. I also love the fact that he can make the actual tracks extremely diverse without losing his unique sound.  :)

I don't care if he is overrated - even though it was big names in the psyscene that got me where I am as a listener - I just appreciate the great music he, and his label are producing.

Mind you, I hate the way Twisted are very slow with releasing new material... We should have had a Shpongle box set and a Western Rebel Alliance CD by now...  :rolleyes:

531750[/snapback]

Love & Love. Simon should make more chill out stuff that's where I

reckon his talent really lies.

Got it over two months ago in Japan. I don't think it's the label who are slow but they must be contracted to a really shit distributer in Europe. Solstice distributed it fine here. :D

Love & Love. Simon should make more chill out stuff that's where I

reckon his talent really lies.

532087[/snapback]

Yes, I'm trying to get hold of some of his other downtempo works - The Mystery of the Yeti, Gargoyles (with Ott), The Infinity Project etc... :)

Got it over two months ago in Japan. I don't think it's the label who are slow but they must be contracted to a really shit distributer in Europe. Solstice distributed it fine here.  :D

532087[/snapback]

Yeah, they must have. :(

as I said before:

I dont like goatrance so I obviously dislike his work as hallucinogen and stuff....

as for chill, which I do like and listen a lot, I think his work as shpongle is very average, and that there are tons of better artists out there..

and not to generalize, but I do think that many times people who like shpongle are those who dont know much in the chill/ambient genre, and only listen to a few ´psy-chill´ (and most already like simon p.. so its sort of biased already and they dont have much to compare with) ... and yeah I know there are exceptions, but still..

I also think that there is a lot of better music out there, outside so-called ´psy´, and which I consider to be much more psychedelic....

(not to say he´s a bad musician, not at all.... but far from what people consider him to be, imo)

as I said before:

I dont like goatrance so I obviously dislike his work as hallucinogen and stuff....

as for chill, which I do like and listen a lot, I think his work as shpongle is very average, and that there are tons of better artists out there.. 

and not to generalize, but I do think that many times people who like shpongle are those who dont know much in the chill/ambient genre, and only listen to a few ´psy-chill´ (and most already like simon p.. so its sort of biased already and they dont have much to compare with) ...  and yeah I know there are exceptions, but still..

I also think that there is a lot of better music out there, outside so-called ´psy´, and which I consider to be much more psychedelic....

(not to say he´s a bad musician, not at all.... but far from what people consider him to be, imo)

532094[/snapback]

I can´t understand why you´re registered here when you don´t listen nd like psytrance at all man, it would be the same as i would register to kvr but never saw a program with which i can make music at all, no problem that you are here but you can´t talk about him at all when you don´t like psy because he makes PSYchill and PSydub as shpongle and there is the posfordtouch in his projects which is psychedelic so you can´t say anything about him IMO

I can´t understand why you´re registered here when you don´t listen nd like psytrance at all man, it would be the same as i would register to kvr but never saw a program with which i can make music at all, no problem that you are here but you can´t talk about him at all when you don´t like psy because he makes PSYchill and PSydub as shpongle and there is the posfordtouch in his projects which is psychedelic so you can´t say anything about him IMO

532098[/snapback]

I dont like psy trance, but I do like psychedelic chill.. Ott, for example, is a million times better than shpongle imo...

as for why I registered.. back when I did, I used to like some psy music, but I dont anymore... Nowadays I like other styles of music (which I consider more psychedelic as I said.. thats just me..)

Plus, I go to a lot of ´psy parties´, since some of the styles I like are played, when there are cross-over progressive djs like d-nox and such, so Im still connected to the ´scene´... :)

and lastly: If you noticed, I am mostly in the offtopic anyways, which is about the people, not about what music they listen...

(and hey did you ever take any psychedelic? Not to say your opinion is less valid if you didnt, because all opinions are just as true... but I honestly think it doesnt make sense for a person who never took a psychedelic to talk about ´psychedelic´ music)

and not to generalize, but I do think that many times people who like shpongle are those who dont know much in the chill/ambient genre, and only listen to a few ´psy-chill´

532094[/snapback]

Shpongle was one of the first 'psy-chill' projects I heard. And it inspired me to go out and buy more - I think I have a lot more understanding now, but I still think Shpongle is one of the best projects here. And I know quite a bit about the genre. :)

Just because someone listens to Shpongle doesn't mean they are not into the genre much...

Shpongle was one of the first 'psy-chill' projects I heard. And it inspired me to go out and buy more - I think I have a lot more understanding now, but I still think Shpongle is one of the best projects here. And I know quite a bit about the genre.  :)

Just because someone listens to Shpongle doesn't mean they are not into the genre much...

532106[/snapback]

yeah I know you do and I know you like chill... you are one of the ones I thought about when I talked about the ´exception ´ group :)

532106[/snapback]

Not sure that's what he meant. Just that there are better psy chill artists out there. And he's right. OTT is better IMO as is Tripswitch and Puff Dragon.

Not sure that's what he meant. Just that there are better psy chill artists out there. And he's right. OTT is better IMO as is Tripswitch and Puff Dragon.

532108[/snapback]

yep :)

vibrasphere chill out is fantastic too

np - vibrasphere - tierra azul .. wow!

yep :)

vibrasphere chill out  is fantastic too

np - vibrasphere - tierra azul .. wow!

532172[/snapback]

You're way too young to like progressive, it's an old man's form of electronic music.

You're way too young to like progressive, it's an old man's form of electronic music.

532177[/snapback]

Haha :lol:

Though I admit, Vibrasphere downtempo is very nice (even though I'm not very into prog) - Manzanilla and Vibrasphere's remix of Entheogenic's Pagan Dream Machine spring to mind. :)

532177[/snapback]

yeah maybe I have an old man subpersonality amongst others :P

btw, that track is chill :)

532108[/snapback]

Tripswitch SRSLY? Some of the most boring chill out there along with Androcell, Cell, Phutureprimitive, Solar fields.. this list could go on forever. Fuck there's a ton of sucky chill out there. Also I see the compilation thingy has taken over chill quite bad :( . Around 2000 it was mostly artist albums that were released :)

Tripswitch SRSLY? Some of the most boring chill out there along with Androcell, Cell, Phutureprimitive, Solar fields.. this list could go on forever. Fuck there's a ton of sucky chill out there. Also I see the compilation thingy has taken over chill quite bad :( . Around 2000 it was mostly artist albums that were released :)

532383[/snapback]

All a matter of taste I suppose. Those artists are not as "in your face" with their music and it is the sort of music that has to be properly listened to, to be appreciated.

When I first heard the shpongle albums I was absolutely blown away at how good they were. But after too many listens the initial greatness faded away and I found myself listening to shpongle less and less. It's too obvious.

I reckon him cool enough in my books..

but I wonder.. was he as worshipped as much as he sometimes is nowadays, back in the years of his hallucinogen album releases (96 - 97)? or do people just worship him these days because years after the initial album releases they realized that music was actually way cooler than the music they get these days? :D