Old Psy or Modern Psy...

Charlie

old school all the way

but some recent releases are very good,like filteria. :)

530417[/snapback]

I thought you would say only OLDSCHOOL KILLARGH DANCE PSYCHEDELIC GOA MELODIC UPLIFTING MORNIG PSYTRANCE GOATECHNO MUSIC :lol::lol::lol:

Ofcourse i voted oldschool because i just like oldschool and hate any fullon out there, there sometimes appear some modreatly good new releases like the new mf album but they are never as the classic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the old stuff, too. Of course there have been some improvements, albeit rare, since then. I'd say maybe one or two of my top-ten fave tunes are new-ish, one of which is #1 (Ka-Sol: Pricken).

I thought you would say only OLDSCHOOL KILLARGH DANCE PSYCHEDELIC GOA MELODIC UPLIFTING MORNIG PSYTRANCE GOATECHNO MUSIC  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

530440[/snapback]

i thought you would say that too.

neither of us did.....we are growing up ;)

I don't care if the music is old or modern...

The only thing that i care is if the music is good!!!That is the point!!!yes i know the old good days was the best, but i believe still new days circulates very good and interest music!!! :)

CHeeRs

The old will always be better then the new imo,but i think that a big part off the older tunes bring such nice memories from then,not just from the music,but from the whole experience,with partys acid etc....

And that makes a big difference imo. :)

The old will always be better then the new imo,but i think that a big part off the older tunes bring such nice memories from then,not just from the music,but from the whole experience,with partys acid etc....

And that makes a big difference imo. :)

530476[/snapback]

remember that not everyone experienced "old" goatrance back in those days when it was new :).

remember that not everyone experienced "old" goatrance back in those days when it was new :).

530478[/snapback]

and there are some of us (like me) who didn' expeience the old days, but still, they find the old stuff better.

I haven't listened much to old psy, so I'm not really into it. I guess as time goes by I will start appreciating it more though. We'll see :) Of course it matters how old you mean? I love the gamma goblins and most old hallucinogen, but after listening to Nystagmus / Talpa and the likes. Wow. :)

By any means, old psy as you suggested, but I do like modern sound as well, just, there is less musicality in it, but the productions are far better...

I haven't heard much great new chillout. It all seems to be repeating the same thing over and over. I prefer the stuff from, oh, about 2001-2004 or so. Old Interchill and Ultimae. Then again, since I practically gave up on it a couple years ago, I haven't heard much of the really new stuff - but the stuff I have heard just isn't that great, especially when there is so much more innovation in other chilled electronic genres. I ordered the recent Solar Fields hoping that might renew my interest.

No offense. Just my experience over the last 6 years or so.

This is what I usually say about the difference between old and new psy: before you'd just go to the "goatrance" section of your CD shop (if you were lucky enough to find such a thing lol), randomly pick up a comp and you were sure to like it, or at least 2/3s of the tracks on it... now it's like you have to dig through a pile of 2 tons of shit to find something worthile... and when you finally do it doesn't necesarily stay with you, you get bored with it in a few days/ weeks and need something else. Whereas I know my classics for YEARS now yet still take pleasure in listening to them.

Thus old is better than new ;)

But of course like most of you said, that doesn't mean I don't like ANYTHING new, luckily there are still some interesting releases out there (mostly in dark psy for me)

This is what I usually say about the difference between old and new psy: before you'd just go to the "goatrance" section of your CD shop (if you were lucky enough to find such a thing lol), randomly pick up a comp and you were sure to like it, or at least 2/3s of the tracks on it... now it's like you have to dig through a pile of 2 tons of shit to find something worthile... and when you finally do it doesn't necesarily stay with you, you get bored with it in a few days/ weeks and need something else. Whereas I know my classics for YEARS now yet still take pleasure in listening to them.

Thus old is better than new ;)

But of course like most of you said, that doesn't mean I don't like ANYTHING new, luckily there are still some interesting releases out there (mostly in dark psy for me)

530819[/snapback]

I totally agree. Well, almost totally. I did pick up some losers in the store way back when (Twisted, for one) :P. But I also have to wonder if it's the case that we've heard SO MUCH of the music that it takes so much more to impress us. I remember when my psy/goa collection was 10 disks or so, and I couldn't stop listening to all of them. But like a typical junkie (and remember that music is exactly like a drug) I kept seeking more and more, and always needing more and more to feel those initial highs. So in that sense it may not be the case that the new music is any worse or better, but that we've been spending all our time since the old days impossibly trying to relive our first experiences, thereby building up a very, very high tolerance of sorts.

A drug stays the same drug, but after a while it's hard to get high on it the same way. Maybe a good long detox is what some of us need. :)

I totally agree. Well, almost totally. I did pick up some losers in the store way back when (Twisted, for one)  :P. But I also have to wonder if it's the case that we've heard SO MUCH of the music that it takes so much more to impress us. I remember when my psy/goa collection was 10 disks or so, and I couldn't stop listening to all of them. But like a typical junkie (and remember that music is exactly like a drug) I kept seeking more and more, and always needing more and more to feel those initial highs. So in that sense it may not be the case that the new music is any worse or better, but that we've been spending all our time since the old days impossibly trying to relive our first experiences, thereby building up a very, very high tolerance of sorts.

A drug stays the same drug, but after a while it's hard to get high on it the same way. Maybe a good long detox is what some of us need. :)

530824[/snapback]

hehe yeah I get what you're saying with the druggy thing... also the fact that I was a teen when discovering psytrance probably has something to do with it as well since when you're a teen your selection criterias aren't that developed and you don't have an extensive background to be able to compare with older stuff. BUT there is one huge difference between older stuff and new which IMO explains a lot: older stuff had a lot of layers. So even if you've listened to a track 100 times the 101th time you'd still hear some fogotten layer to which you didn't pay much attention before and be like "wow! I didn't even know that was there!". Today (a part for some VERY rare exceptions) that's totally not the case... Once you're done with the "main layer" there's nothing much left to discover so you discard and move to something else.

hehe yeah I get what you're saying with the druggy thing... also the fact that I was a teen when discovering psytrance probably has something to do with it as well since when you're a teen your selection criterias aren't that developed and you don't have an extensive background to be able to compare with older stuff. BUT there is one huge difference between older stuff and new which IMO explains a lot: older stuff had a lot of layers. So even if you've listened to a track 100 times the 101th time you'd still hear some fogotten layer to which you didn't pay much attention before and be like "wow! I didn't even know that was there!". Today (a part for some VERY rare exceptions) that's totally not the case... Once you're done with the "main layer" there's nothing much left to discover so you discard and move to something else.

530834[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree with you on the layer thing. Atmosphere, maybe. Less "clean" production, maybe. Layering? I can't see it. Are you sure you're just not so accustomed to the music that you're not hearing everything like you used to? Your liking the Psyfactor album, for instance, is dubious to me. That's some pretty unlayered stuff.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the layer thing. Atmosphere, maybe. Less "clean" production, maybe. Layering? I can't see it. Are you sure you're just not so accustomed to the music that you're not hearing everything like you used to? Your liking the Psyfactor album, for instance, is dubious to me. That's some pretty unlayered stuff.

530869[/snapback]

well Psyfactor is new so it doesn't fall into the "multi-layering" category ;) I don't know how to explain, surely you've noticed that modern psy just has one "clean lead" whereas in oldschool you have a lot of things going on in the background, giving it kindof a "confused" progression? Take for example Space Tribe - The Great Spirit (Hallucinogen Mix): you have like this main "theme" going on all throughout the track but when you pay close attention there are like a million other things happening at the same time in the background, and then at moments, the "main theme" kindof wanders off in details and then comes back again. This reflects the "spiral way of thought" one has when on acid IMO, don't really have words to explain... You know, kindof like watching a mandala or fractal when on acid: you see the whole picture then "wander off" into a part of a part of a drawing, seeing that that little detail is just as complex as the whole image, then at once you're "pulled off" and see the whole drawing as a whole again and you're like "woah man"...

God how I miss tracks that give you that feeling :(

well Psyfactor is new so it doesn't fall into the "multi-layering" category ;) I don't know how to explain, surely you've noticed that modern psy just has one "clean lead" whereas in oldschool you have a lot of things going on in the background, giving it kindof a "confused" progression? Take for example Space Tribe - The Great Spirit (Hallucinogen Mix): you have like this main "theme" going on all throughout the track but when you pay close attention there are like a million other things happening at the same time in the background, and then at moments, the "main theme" kindof wanders off in details and then comes back again. This  reflects the "spiral way of thought" one has when on acid IMO, don't really have words to explain... You know, kindof like watching a mandala or fractal when on acid: you see the whole picture then "wander off" into a part of a part of a drawing, seeing that that little detail is just as complex as the whole image, then at once you're "pulled off" and see the whole drawing as a whole again and you're like "woah man"...

530874[/snapback]

I hear ya. I guess there are exceptions to both rules. There's some pretty unlayered old stuff, as well as some hyperlayered new stuff. It hasn't gone away.

well Psyfactor is new so it doesn't fall into the "multi-layering" category ;) I don't know how to explain, surely you've noticed that modern psy just has one "clean lead" whereas in oldschool you have a lot of things going on in the background, giving it kindof a "confused" progression? Take for example Space Tribe - The Great Spirit (Hallucinogen Mix): you have like this main "theme" going on all throughout the track but when you pay close attention there are like a million other things happening at the same time in the background, and then at moments, the "main theme" kindof wanders off in details and then comes back again. This  reflects the "spiral way of thought" one has when on acid IMO, don't really have words to explain... You know, kindof like watching a mandala or fractal when on acid: you see the whole picture then "wander off" into a part of a part of a drawing, seeing that that little detail is just as complex as the whole image, then at once you're "pulled off" and see the whole drawing as a whole again and you're like "woah man"...

530874[/snapback]

I definately agree.

Most modern psy sounds so simple compared to the complex, multi-layered psy of old that you'd be forgiven for thinking simpletons were writing and producing it. Okay, slight exageration :D but you get my point.

I haven't heard much great new chillout. It all seems to be repeating the same thing over and over. I prefer the stuff from, oh, about 2001-2004 or so. Old Interchill and Ultimae. Then again, since I practically gave up on it a couple years ago, I haven't heard much of the really new stuff - but the stuff I have heard just isn't that great, especially when there is so much more innovation in other chilled electronic genres. I ordered the recent Solar Fields hoping that might renew my interest.

No offense. Just my experience over the last 6 years or so.

530817[/snapback]

Yeah, when i said "new" chillout i didn't really mean the last couple years. The last couple years have been shit overall for both psy-trance and "psy-chill". I find it hard to differentiate between "psychill" and other types of chill anyway. It's all pretty psychadelic to me :)

I'm getting more and more into ambient stuff too lately. The new Biosphere is just incredible.