If you had to define genre's by one CD

RAH

I have my own judgement, but i would like to get wide consensus of what people like in respective genres.

Here's the deal, imagine you are showing our world of music to someone who understands electronic music but might have not heard what is it all about.

So choose ONE cd from each genre (the one you consider the bestest of them all), usually indicating one track of: full on, progresive, techy, dark, and goa if you so wish. Relatively 'modern' stuff only please, from the last 2-3 years of artists that you can find still kicking butt, with active labels. If it sounds too much simply pick your favorite genre and throw me a cd name... for my purposes i will admit goa is not essential for me at this point, but i don't want to discriminate so go ahead, thought it could be a fun thread anyway :)

this is not to elect 'kings' of a genre i just want to see what people in general; perceive as a great example to define it.

rubric:

Full on:

Progresive:

housier:

techy:

Dark:

Goa:

once again, feel free to fill as many as you want from those

thank you B)

I've not heard everything from every genre but I'd say in the last few years : -

Full on: Save The Robot - Battle of the Mind (Track - Robot on Drugs)

Progresive: S>Range - Another Theory (Remixes) (Track - Another Theory (Big Deal Remix))

Housier: Mo-Shic - Salamat (Track - The Good Old Days)

Techy: Kino Ono - Lost entertainment (Track - Atomic Corner)

Dark: Deviant Species - In the Hands of the Randomiser (Track - Portal To Balojax)

Goa: Technossomy - Synthetic Flesh (Track - Kozmotron 1&2)

Now I know this is not recent or easy to buy but it is going to be rereleased soon on alpha-beat so I hear

Dub: Tripswitch - Circuit Breaker (Track - Shamanic Tea & Deer Park)

Ambient: Mixmaster Morris & Pete Namlook - Dreamfish (Track - Hymn)

Rereleased on Avatar

Ethnic: Puff Dragon - Sazanami (Track Qi Gong)

Full on: Space Cat - Mechanical Dream

Progressive: Well, my favourite album is Lish - Free Fall, but most psy-progressive doesn't sound like that (unfortunately for me)

housier: Jaia - Fiction

techy: ??

Dark: Electrypnose ?

Goa: Hallucinogen - Twisted

Full on: V/A - Psytisfaction 4

Progresive: Shiva Chandra - Change of Air

housier: Jaia - Fiction

techy: Spirallianz - Stereopark (PS do artists still make techtrance these days??)

Dark: Ghreg on Earth - Sigilweaver

Goa: Khetzal - Corolle (would've said Hallucinogen or AP but you asked for something recent ;) )

full on:orion-artificial frequencies

progressive:freq-strange attractors

housier:atmos-2nd brigade

techy:midimilliz-passages

dark:xenomorph-qlippoth

goa:ka-sol-fairytale

full on: electric universe - cosmic experience

progressive: gaudium - nordic nature

housier: torakka - far out express (or jaia - fiction)

techy: x-dream - radio

dark: planet b.e.n. - trippy future garden

goa: transwave - helium

chill: shpongle - are you shpongled

Please note that i picked older albums on those genres where it was pointless to pick a more recent one. For example, none of the new goa albums are as good as the classics. Shpongle's first album is still the best psychedelic chillout I've heard, and I've not found any other dark psytrance than the album i picked for it.

Cheers.

edit: changed the techy one

Goa: Hallucinogen - Twisted

Ambient Trance: Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

Dark: UX - Ultimate Experience

That's it I'm afraid, they're the only styles of psy I really listen to.

Here we go :

Full On : Scatterbrain - Infernal Angel

Progressive : Son Kite - Colours

Housier : Jaia - Fiction

Tech : The Delta - Scizoeffective

Dark : Xenomorph - Cassandra's Nightmare

Goa : Dimension 5 - Transdimensional

Ambient/Chill : Solar Quest - Orgship

What strikes me, reading this thread, is not what albums folk are choosing but what category they're putting them in. It's interesting.

Darkpsy: Sandman: Witchcraft

530178[/snapback]

I never really considered that to be dark psy, but thinking about it, it could quite easily come under that category.

Full On : Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience

Progg : Freq - Strange Attractors

Dark : Xenomorph......

Chill : Shpongle - Are you shpongled

Ambient : Solar Fields

Goa : VA - Destination Goa Vol. 3

What strikes me, reading this thread, is not what albums folk are choosing but what category they're putting them in. It's interesting.

I never really considered that to be dark psy, but thinking about it, it could quite easily come under that category.

530191[/snapback]

About the Sandman stuff, at the time of its release (Witchcraft) its spooky / sinister sound was what stood out in comparison to the mainstream - There can be no doubt about the fact that this album set in motion events which would lead towards darker and darker tracks....

"....it looks like a cross between a spider and you worst nightmare"

Now if that voice sample isnt dark, I dont know what is :-)

Best wishes

Krell

About the Sandman stuff, at the time of its release (Witchcraft) its spooky / sinister sound was what stood out in comparison to the mainstream - There can be no doubt about the fact that this album set in motion events which would lead towards darker and darker tracks....

"....it looks like a cross between a spider and you worst nightmare"

Now if that voice sample isnt dark, I dont know what is :-)

Best wishes

Krell

530334[/snapback]

You're right. It's an interesting piece, the Witchcraft album, as it sometimes sounds dark, sometimes sounds like goa, and sometimes sounds quite minimalist.

GOA : PLEIADIANS - IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS

PSY : HALLUCINOGEN - THE LONE DERANGER

DARK PSY : COP - URBAN ALIEN

MINIMAL : DELTA - SCIZOEFFECTIVE

PROG : ATMOS - HEADCLEANER

HOUSEY : JAIA - FICTION

FULL ON : TALAMASCA - MUSICA DIVINORUM

CHILL : SHPONGLE - ARE YOU SHPONGLED ?

are compilations allowed? :)

Full on: Voice Of Cod - We Are Free (pure psytrance), VA - Midnight Storm (dark, aggresive), VA - Invasion From Hyperspace (morning, melodic)

Progresive: Ticon - Zero Six After

Housier: maybe Fuzzion - Black Magic? no idea.

Tech-trance: MidiMiliz - Non Standards, and somehow Procs, but combined with dark.

Dark: Cosmo - Gravity, Ocelot - VectorSelector, VA - Crazy Goblins And Wicked Pixies

Goa: VA - Apsara, Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Chill-out: Kaya Project - Elixir, VA - Albedo, Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible

and yes ...

Psytrance: Artifakt - Artifakts II

530191[/snapback]

oh well that probably comes from the fact that the man initially asked for RECENT albums... of course if you go through 15 years of trance you'll find that the "definition" of certain genres changed quite drastically over the time. For instance here is an example of what was the definition of "dark" during the years:

1997: Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

1998: X-Dream - Radio

2000: The Delta - Send In... Send Back

2001: Parasense - Apple

2005: Ghreg on Earth - Sigilweaver

as you can see, when put in context of other releases during the same year they can be defined as "dark" but compare one with the other and these are VERY different styles...