3 Indigo (8:39)

4 Roll Your Own (6:39)

5 Tachyon (2:37)

6 Cartwheel (6:04)

7 Silver (Robot Baby Mix) (8:06)

8 Tomahna (5:33)

9 Viscous (7:14)

10 Deer Park (10:21)

This is a Fantastic album. The production for me is sublime and a lot of the ideas are out of this world. It kicks off with Exiled (Mantra Mix), The original is on Butterfy Dawn but this is better. It is a nice spacey dubby track. Some really nice percussion work (by gaudi) and ethnic vocals although I'm not sure where they're from. The track stops and starts creating a slightly disjointed but still floaty (on water, not air) feel.

Next up is Shamanic Tea which for me is one of the best on this album and one of the best chilled tracks made recently. The beat is slow a precise and the background synth work is so ethereally beautiful and there is a nice soft baseline under it. A tech-y melody leads into some of the nicest vocals I've heard ever. The timing of this track is superb, all the elements work well together and are brought in and dropped just when you think they should be.

Indigo follows bringing us a more spacey feel. A sample starts off talking about the stars and what not and it sounds like it's taken from an early 80's TV documentary. Soft distorted vocals float around and then a really nice soft break beat comes in. Faster but still chilled synths drive the track and give a more sci-fi feel than the 1st two tracks. More vocals briefly at around 6 minutes push this forwards again. Great progression in this track. A nice Journey that comes full circle with the opening sample closing too.

The fourth track is Roll Your Own and it starts with accoustic guitar in a very redneck hillbilly style. Behind it though are some ethereal sounds and the contrast sounds really trippy and spacey. A nice baseline comes in with some long drawn out beautiful vocals floating around a nice chimey melody and all the while the guitar sounds prevail in perfect harmony.

Next up is a short track called Tachyon and it is basically just a sample from the movie K-Pax when the doctor is talking to the alien (guy who thinks he's an alien) about space travel at light speed on tachyons. The sample is echoed and there are spacey sounds surroundind it all.

It's nice and it's a good transition into Cartwheel which builds up slow in the first minute or so with slow sounds and just a half quick but very soft high hat then introducing a very electronic sounding baseline and a (harmonica?) sound. Then an absolutely amazing beat comes in and takes the track and the album to a whole new level. It feels so involved and it's hard to concentrate on anything else while you're listening to it. The beats drops away and it leaves you with an empty space filled by the lovely sounds at the beginning. Good Stuff!

Track 7 is Silver (Robot Baby Mix) and it sounds like a baby's voice at the start, but not the annoying scream of a little brat, it's quite a nice laughing sound used well. This is slow with a heavy beat. It all sounds nice with a cool atmosphere but it's slightly out of joint with itself and although it ambles along pleasantly it doesn't really go anywhere.

The next track Tomahna is better, the progression of the track is clearer there are softer beats which sound a lot more involved in the track and fit better. Not particularly a stand out but it's pleasant in a very summery way even sounds like I can hear a seagull in there somewhere but you hear it then it's gone :ph34r:

The penultimate composition here is Viscous. It's a very deep track and has the feeling of falling. It's slow and chilled to start but also feels like you are rushing. The soundscape is very dark too, the beat kicks in and it's really driving this one fast, it's the fastest on the album and would fit quite well into a progressive set. Great atmosphere, dark but melodic and although it's faster it fits in very well with the rest of the album.

Ultimately (and this is ULTIMATE) is Deer Park. This, is one of the best chilled tracks made in my humble opinion. It's starts of with some wierd fantastical conversation then drifts into slow beautiful vocals and slow accoustic sounds which create a warm atmosphere and you can tell it's building to something. Around 5 and a half minutes a slow soft beat comes in and it just sounds so beautiful and well timed, this leads into a more involved beat and more tech-y sounds buzz about along with slow dropping synths. The beat drops away then builds up again until it just drops in around 8 and a half minutes with a heavier beat and a really complex technical melody. This track for me is one of the most brilliantly produced tracks I've ever heard. The progression is sublime, the timing is great, the sounds are crisp and the ideas make you want to listen to it again and again.

So to sum up. Buy this album, it's absolutely brilliant. There are some less inspired moments but the inspired moments are absolutely spectacular. The atmospheres created work well almost anytime. Pre party, post party on a hot summer's day or while chilling out at night. If you are a fan of Liquid Sound Design then I'm sure you'll like this. It's even better than the Abakus album.

Favourites: 1, 2, 4, 6 & 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great album for sure... LSD almost never lets you down :)

I really love the trippy space talk in Tachyon (track 5) pure bliss!

My favs would be 1,2,3!,4,5!!;6!10 yeah thats most of them but there are no bad track here... the only mid-range track is 9 IMO.

• 5 months later...

Amazing album, in my opinion.

How strange that it only got 3 comments then, including this one!

This is a really well composed, very well thought album. I suggest each and every one of you give it a twirl.

My fav is Cartwheel, but this is only from the first 20 or so listens.. I'd give it more before I give my final review. I don't feel as if I know this album that well, yet..

Amazing album, in my opinion.

How strange that it only got 3 comments then, including this one!

621750[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing. I've had this album for a year & a half now & I still listen to it a lot. Really good music for sure. My favourite of 2005.

Why isn't their more replies and reviews for this one??!! :blink::unsure:

Few songs I don't find great or good here but overall...

IT'S GOOD!!! :)

SEVERAL SONGS ARE LIKE BEAUTIFUL, TOUCHING, FLOATING... SO GOOD!!!!

For those into deeper chill music... I liked this one... and I was far more impressed by Phutureprimitive 04 or 05 album called "Sub Conscious." Now that is awesome!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest antic

Agreed. For some reason I didn't find this album until the end of 2006, but it is of superb quality, and it's simplicity is complicating! Very smooth, eloquent music that's really captivating. Dunno why, but it just is. If you don't have this one yet, be sure to grab it.

Where did you find it? I tried to buy it for ages, but I can't see it anywhere :(

BTW, welcome back to psynews.org :)

Where did you find it? I tried to buy it for ages, but I can't see it anywhere :(

BTW, welcome back to psynews.org :)

I lucked out and found it through a local supplier that I just happened to have 4 year old credit with =D

I had searched all the online stores, ebay, and everything else and couldn't find it either. I wonder if they are ever going to reprint it...

Wow! That's the best news I heard in some time!!! Thanks :)

Looks like I'm going to have 2 copies of this album in the future then :lol:

This is probably my most listened too album ever. I put it on regularly years after getting it!

I wish Tripswitch would come out with another album, his compilation tracks recently have been awesome. Probably a new album would not be able to live up to this one but it would probably still be :wub:

shit. double post.

TRIPSWITCH - CIRCUIT BREAKER

Liquid Sound Design Records

Posted Image

1. Exiled (Manta Mix) (9:10) - B+

2. Shamanic Tea (7:06) - B-

3. Indigo (8:39) - B

4. Roll Your Own (6:39) - B-

5. Tachyon (2:37) - B

6. Cartwheel (6:04) - B

7. Silver (Robot Baby Mix) (8:06) - B-

8. Tomahna (5:33) - C+

9. Viscous (7:14) - B-

10. Deer Park (10:21) - B+

This is one of the most beautiful, underrated, albums from 2006. Tracks have a strong emotional core to them. Great rhythms and melodies stand out along with occasionally frequent ethnic singing.

Exiled (Mantra Mix) is a very strong chill opening with the tribal drums, ethereal ambient, melodies, and female voice work really captivating the listener throughout. There is so much emotion and passion put into creating this song. It's very inviting to the rest of the album. This is a great track.

Shamanic - has beautiful melodies in the first half and this is where the track shines brightest. I don't care for the second half, the singing, or the higher pitched drum hits. I preferred the gentle singing in the first song too. The female singing here does nothing for me. It seems more could have been done with the music. Nothing here is bad. It just isn't my cup of tea and I find it a bit lacking, less moving and complex than the opening track.

Indigo - This is a return to strong, waving, beautiful sound, ambient, and voice work. The skipping female voices are more catchy like but unlike the [style] of the first track. This is currently the most energetic song on the album. The melodies are so warm and present. I really like the rhythm, speed, and especially the beat. This is a very good if not great song.

Roll Your Own is slower like the first track but without the trible drums as involved. Again the female voice work is very soothing as it hums across the waving tunes and wind. This is a peaceful track and a nice change one to add next to the previous more energetic one. As it progresses the pretty bell sound and charm begins to wear off but it's definitey well done for what it is. although it may sound too happy for some people if that makes sense. You decide.

Tachyon is the only track that begins with a voice sample from K-Pax. The voice sample and the track combined is very interesting. The arriving melodies are subtle and fantasy like, almost celestial. This ambient track is too short! It could have lifted off into such greatness, complex and powerful. It starts off so well. There's little weight or depth as it moves to a close at the speed of a general song intermission. It sounds really nice in the moment for what it is, a very short ambient track. The beginning really had my attention. I wish they did more with this one. It's like a beautiful trail that leads nowhere in a sense.

Cartwheel has the stronger beats concept of Indigo mixed in the with more gentle but not slow melody concept of Shamanic. It's more up-to-speed with tracks like Indigo and generally motivating sounding. I like the fast beats and skipping background voices but the tunes aren't as engaging to me. They're still pretty good though. This is one of the better songs here.

Silver (Robot Baby Mix) is more of a breather. The altered childs vocals are interesting and catchy. The melodies stand out less than the previous track. I enjoyed this song the I heard it in the background until I was paying close attention. It's gentle and calm. Towards the last third it develops a techno edge to the Ambient and Down-Tempo fusion. This part improves my attention for sure. Maybe some additional strong melodies wouldn't have hurt but they're some nicely crafted ones here. The song does wear thin during the last minute or two however as not much is developed now into the more energetic beat. It's a farly good song.

Tomahna is another song that has a harder beat here as Indigo did, but they're less fast and engaging. They're very repetitive actually. Same for the melodies once they arrive. Sure their nice but we expect that by the 8th track. The whole track is generally redundant and less interesting the more it progresses. I don't like it.

Viscous on the other hand is more to my liking unlike the previous two tracks. The children-like voice work is interesting and I like how things progress. An interesting ambient transition floats across the beginning of the second third and a techno-esque beat moves closer, the volume raising until more hits, hi hats, melodies, and a subtle tune that almost sounds like an opera singer skipping the same note join in. Yes the beat is repetitive but the combination is good and stops at around 6:00 before changing up a third time. It's a pretty good song, if even neither one of the three parts hits greatness.

Deer Park is a beautiful closing to a strong opening. I wish there were one or two more tracks at the level of Exiled and this one. The album reaches a very emotional, sad yet beautiful and touching level with these tracks. It reminds me like the end of Gladiator when Maximus dies and joins his wife and child in Heaven. The first half is soft and gentle with female vocals like something out of a Lisa Gerrard track from the Man On Fire film. The second third begins the buildup. You can hear and feel it. It's so patient and moving. The beat enter and gradually gains strength with supporting beats and layers as it moves forward. The catchy tune plays to the skipping voice and more appealing melody work arrives. Things start to fade and at 8:31 the music and beat returns more strong than ever before with a combination of good melodies, skipping voices, bouncing psy sounds, and more. This is a wonderful song.

Favorite tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 10.

B

SAMPLES BELOW: People into good chill, downtempo, and ambient should have the samples available asap after a review.

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4687

• 1 year later...

the 16th comments about this album?!?!?!?!?!

this album is as perfect as are you shpongle? album was perfect

Every song has this magical something, something real, something with incredibly lots of soul, Every songs are having particularity's.every song distinctively good.wonderful,magical. bit psy, with some downbeat and upbeat rythm, damm thats good!!!!

This album is a masterpiece; original, incredible production, organic,

B??????????????

A ''b'' for this album??????????????whats an ''A'' for you?????????

Something even better? You can't give A's to everything can you. If you do then what do you give when something even better comes along? A+? A++? A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++?

This is a great album for sure I love it all and Deer Park remains in my all time favourites but there are even better chill albums out there for me.

Saying that, I highly anticipate another Tripswitch releases. His compilation tracks have been :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Something even better? You can't give A's to everything can you. If you do then what do you give when something even better comes along? A+? A++? A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++?

This is a great album for sure I love it all and Deer Park remains in my all time favourites but there are even better chill albums out there for me.

Saying that, I highly anticipate another Tripswitch releases. His compilation tracks have been :wub:

well yeah, you give an a+ is its better then an A lol

okay yes there better album out there, but this is defenitly not a B imo, this is near perfection, its almost perfection, and it is in fact pretty perfect, so a B for that? come on!