2 - The Quickening [136]

3 - Practice In Blackness [138]

4 - Operation-mind Harvest [142]

5 - The 49th Vibration [137]

6 - Easy Way Out [137]

7 - Digital Acoustix [135]

8 - Jungle Weapon [138]

What's This About?

Pete Hayes is a heart-staked Aussie with a background in Jazz fusions. He participated in the odd band while taking classes at the conservatory before psygressive got the better side of him. It wasn’t long before his old Atmos and Cosmosis tunes reached his brother James, who started producing as ShadowFX shortly after. It took a couple of years for Pete to loose the hairy Jimmy’s worshiping old Fender amps with drumsticks clutched out of their jean-pockets, to delve fully in Tetrameth. But once the jump had been taken there was no looking back. The unique blend of styles he nurtured in-family has been boiling timidly in the rosters of Cosmic Conspiracy and Zenon records since. Tetrameth’s elaborate level of detail is deeply seethed in musical structures and concise beats, aimed at the ‘technical’ progressive circles. Think of it as a chunky thunk, overloaded with cozy Psychedelic Pyrotechnics, dazed in a Sunday afternoon slack, while bobbing your head like a languid zombie, to reminisce about Terrence McKenna and feel alright.

Per-Track

( 1 ) The self-titled track opens with a sample that reminded me a lot of Max – Eternal (SunDance), regarding squeegees, a third eye and laying in a field of grass for hours with heroic dozes of psychotropic substances. The voices are aplenty but they are strategically placed, dangling in well with the effects to complement a purpose…most of the times. Not forgetting this shebang, is over thirteen minutes, it is a great way of displaying what psychedelic progressive could be: A careful chiseling of minuscule elements in every single turn, racing through changing beats, unexpected breaks, musicality, Psychological Fireworks and the nicest bits of acoustic guitar I have heard in a while. I’m impressed. *

( 2 ) Originally released last year, The Quickening is a ride through steep beats and the nastiest, crungiest growls on this side of the jungle. A bit more minimal than the previous pyro-technique, it jumbles with synthetics, voices and good rhythms; ultimately building into another slice of finely tuned guitar for the theme. It should be no wonder then, Pete played the string instrument at previous point in his life. *

( 3 ) Despite an earlier announcement this album was meant to be mostly a morning-melodic type of affair for the minimal heads, A Practice in Blackness stands as a juicy number straddling with night-time beats, shimmering Tetrameth’s abilities to maintain a resolute immersion in the typical Zenon sound. A methodic approach to quality dance-floor material that still induces shivers, with complementing effects and straightforward themes. No big defining moments here, simply a stomper groveling its way to the mid-nigh-ter sessions. *

( 4 ) Operation Mind Harvest which could have a video game named after it, is a convoluted jumble of beats and drifting atmospheres, to an ever changing landslide of themes and exactly one break at the end.... how great is that? A Funky slap across the face for the psygresive circles, resembling everything else in the album, but hey it’s one of the good ones.*

( 5 ) The 49th vibration is a tricky business, It is used in combination with aura-attuned chromatherapy and harmonious sounds to create cost effective… color medicine alternatives. Why exactly? “So far, earth scientists have not been able to create such high Quadrillion frequencies, nor comprehended why they have needed to do so, in order to tap into an invisible ever-present FREE Cosmic Energy source.” If you didn’t get a word of what I quoted and still understand nothing about the vibration, you are not alone. So let’s stop scratching our heads and get on with the music: There’s a fair bit of sung chant bits and voices that attempt explaining something about the so called forty-niner, with appallingly confusing texts. Suffice to know we are “Witches in nature colours”. Thankfully there’s a decent beat, good breaks and grating synth’s that unfortunately don’t get too far, thus the need to use a lot of distracting voices… This is spiritual stuff baba! There is also a technical display of rotors fluttering like the so-called vibration and a very friendly break to start steering things in other directions. Is not displeasing, but is not really good either… for me anyway.

( 6 ) As implied by the name Easy Way Out, we are talking about a tune that was designed to give you the best possible mileage for long transitions. Split in half with evolving bits into a decrescendo of energy levels. The bouncy bass that comes to shine in the second half is delightful and I really don’t know why it wasn’t used at the beginning instead. We’re not here’s to question methods though, but to tell you sample bits “I used to take drugs and I quit, but will tell you something: I have nothing against drugs whatsoever. That’s kind of weird, huh? Used to take drugs, but quit and have nothing against them. Wow, never heard that, let’s hear more…” Despite having a different progression leaning almost awkwardly on long breaks, it is enjoyable. *

( 7 ) Produced in company of family, ShadowFX dipped his hand in Digital Acoustics to present introspective, rumbling-grumbling and slightly slumping beats, with dense juicy content and smile-inducing bass work. Not forgetting this is minimal territory, most of the action is composed of a million and one elements peaking their head thorough the window for an instant. Some of them come back to see how you are doing and the shifting nature of their order, with new elements being added constantly is what is all about here. The thing with these two, you need to stop what you are doing and actually focus on listening for a bit. It will not catch your attention if you are focused elsewhere. Very dense stuff, prepare to peel layers of content with knife like a ripe mango.

( 8 ) Set aside for the end, Jungle Weapon explains “They never existed, the only existed in his head and so he had to invent them.” What exactly? Probably more roars, leading me to believe Pete might have fetishist tendencies with panthers. There’s a great beat some thunders and girl talking about order, to emphasize how organized and logical the production is (or something). The little retro tune that comes with is as bizzare and effective as a good mouthwash. I’m not sure if the other sample is talking about touching people, or couch people… but they definitely work so, hooray for couch people & touching people. The actual track seems so sag a little too much for my taste, so unless you are one of the couch peoples this might fit.

All in All

Some tracks are outstanding, while some other ones cross over without noticing the LCD screen changed track numbers. This is not meant to say the album sounds superficially arranged. It just feels a little humdrum on a few instances and the repetitive reliance on voice samples tires me at times. There is a thick layer underneath it all, waiting to be explored by those who have the time. It’s something of a conceptual work from start to finish, a whole a ride so to speak. I can envision the material working nicely on a live situation with added extras (like is turning prevalent). Can’t really blame artists for doing so either, in the gig scenario is where you make enough to get by in this business. If your business is mixing and juggling other people’s tunes with Tetrameth’s line of music, (and why else read if you are not) it does offer some goodies. If on the other hand, you are an active listener with a connoisseur demeanor, it’s an enjoyable way to kill an hour.

Where to Buy

Psyshop >

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/zen/zen1cd006.html

Saiko Sounds >

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5689

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...