Full-on is the New Minimal

Otto Matta

I don't know about you but I'm getting a little tired of the complaining about full-on music. It's giving me nasty flashbacks to the minimal days when every other post had a complaint about minimal this, minimal that.

And is it just me or didn't "full-on" used to mean a good thing? Remember when UX and Pleiadians were called full-on?

History is repeating itself, and it's silly. It's like we have to have something to complain about at all times.

Beh.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you but I'm getting a little tired of the complaining about full-on music. It's giving me nasty flashbacks to the minimal days when every other post had a complaint about minimal this, minimal that.

And is it just me or didn't "full-on" used to mean a good thing? Remember when UX and Pleiadians were called full-on?

History is repeating itself, and it's silly. It's like we have to have something to complain about at all times.

Beh.

527908[/snapback]

well... after a few years complaining, minimal was dead so I wouldn't say that complaining is that useless ;)

well... after a few years complaining, minimal was dead so I wouldn't say that complaining is that useless ;)

527968[/snapback]

I wouldn't say it's dead, there is still a minimal scene here, and it's not that small. Maybe not psy-minimal but I don't hear the difference between minimal and psy-minimal anyway... ;)

Beh.

527908[/snapback]

I complain about fullon because i really can´t stand that music and even can´t understand how any guy can listen to that music, and i´am not the onliest guy who thinks so, i know very much people here at the forum and many otheer peophe that don´t like fulon because of the same reasons as i have to not like fullon. The rolling bassline is really bad quality, the production always sounds horrible bad and homemade, if i would ask people how old a fullon track is they would say very old because of the really bad quality and i´am sure it damages eas as speakers way more than any other music. I would give a shit at fullon if the wellknown masters of the oldschool days back wouldn´t produce this fucking shit also, any fullon sounds apsolutly same because of that fucking awful bassline and the awful sounding synths and fx, i can´t understand how people can like bad quality music, fullon sounds like msuc from people who touched a musicprogram the first time.

i think the problem is that there isnt enough diversity.

ok albums of various styles are released(dark,prog,full -on) BUT the mainstream listens mostly to full-on.

night clubs play full-on(if the play psy that is)

skazi is god

infected is killargh

;)

I complain about fullon because i really can´t stand that music and even can´t understand how any guy can listen to that music, and i´am not the onliest guy who thinks so, i know very much people here at the forum and many otheer peophe that don´t like fulon because of the same reasons as i have to not like fullon. The rolling bassline is really bad quality, the production always sounds horrible bad and homemade, if i would ask people how old a fullon track is they would say very old because of the really bad quality and i´am sure it damages eas as speakers way more than any other music. I would give a shit at fullon if the wellknown masters of the oldschool days back wouldn´t produce this fucking shit also, any fullon sounds apsolutly same because of that fucking awful bassline and the awful sounding synths and fx, i can´t understand how people can like bad quality music, fullon sounds like msuc from people who touched a musicprogram the first time.

527997[/snapback]

This is one of the most brain-dead posts about bashing full-on I've ever read here. Some bashing posts are at least halfway funny or true, but this is just bullshit.

First of all, how many full-on tracks have you heard? Not too many I'd say... I agree there is a lot of bad full-on outhere. But I do not agree about all full-on tracks sounding the same. Do the tracks from the latest Space Cat album (Mechanical Dream) sound like tracks from Eskimo? By far not. Do the tracks by 1200 Mics sound like the Silicon Sound album, or like Skazi? I don't think so. Not even the basslines are equal.

Another point, all full-on sounds old, cheap and like somebody who doesn't have a clue about the synths has done it? I don't think so, there are of course a lot of badly produced standart tracks, but there are also albums that are produced very well (Hypersonic for example). Sure, if you don't like the style then the good production doesn't help you. But saying the production sucks because you don't like a certain style is just plain stupid. But yeah, I guess it's asked too much to get a halfaway balanced statement from you.

527997[/snapback]

radi can you please dont write in so large blocks?

put some space between your phrases,its easier to read that way! ;):)

btw,you really hate those basslines dont you? :P

527997[/snapback]

Yawn, it's really getting tiring to read your completely prejudiced opinions about full on. There is excellently produced full on out there - and also full on with a high level of musical content. Look beyond your killar oldschool spirtual bom shankar goa psychadelik, and see that there is much more to full on than Astrix and Skazi.

This is one of the most brain-dead posts about bashing full-on I've ever read here. Some bashing posts are at least halfway funny or true, but this is just bullshit.

First of all, how many full-on tracks have you heard? Not too many I'd say... I agree there is a lot of bad full-on outhere. But I do not agree about all full-on tracks sounding the same. Do the tracks from the latest Space Cat album (Mechanical Dream) sound like tracks from Eskimo? By far not. Do the tracks by 1200 Mics sound like the Silicon Sound album, or like Skazi? I don't think so. Not even the basslines are equal.

Another point, all full-on sounds old, cheap and like somebody who doesn't have a clue about the synths has done it? I don't think so, there are of course a lot of badly produced standart tracks, but there are also albums that are produced very well (Hypersonic for example). Sure, if you don't like the style then the good production doesn't help you. But saying the production sucks because you don't like a certain style is just plain stupid. But yeah, I guess it's asked too much to get a halfaway balanced statement from you.

528028[/snapback]

Why you go crazy again, look, albums like mfg - message from god aren´t that bad and not that fullonish, they don´t have the typical fucking rolling bassline but another one which isn´t that bad and they havn´t the awful typical fx sounds like most other fullon, typical fullonsound is electric universe - cosmic experience for example or all the tracks on the Ten album except the mahadeva rmx, the artists which remixed the Ten album by astral are the artists which produce the sort of fullon that i don´t like at all and can´t see any difference at all between all tracks except that the melodies and notes are different, there isn´t any other difference there, not to speak about the quality, the stereoeffects which are always used in fullon can easyly be done with the very old buzzeffekt effects from fruityloops 1 which are freeware and noone who makes decent msuic (not fullon) use that childish free stereoeffects, fullon can easyly be done with a ts404 or any other cheap fruityloops synth, the typical fullon fx effects appear in my synths when there´s something wrong and the synths don´t work properly and the programs are broken! Ofcourse i meant he fullon produced by the described artists, the new mfg album of mfg for example isn´t that bad IMO.

I always liked minimal. Everyone bashed it for quite a while & I always thought it was because noone could be bothered to listen to it properly. It was really intelligent music that all sounded the same if you had it on in the background but if you allow yourself to properly listen to it it creates amazing atmospheres and soundscapes that can take a non drug fueled mind to different levels. :D

I'm not sure about fullon because I haven't listened to much of it. It is very popular though and so of course there is going to be a lot of shit, that's always the way with the most popular genres. I have heard some decent fullon music though. If it's done well it can be good. People shouldn't bash things without actually listening to them.

I always thought that minimal psytrance evolved into the progressive psytrance. Progressive has a little more substance but is just as intelligent and well layered. also people who don't listen to it properly find it boring.

528028[/snapback]

i think he is allergic to the bassline.

makes sense to me after reading all his posts!

am i right radi? :)

Why you go crazy again, look, albums like mfg - message from god aren´t that bad and not that fullonish, they don´t have the typical fucking rolling bassline but another one which isn´t that bad and they havn´t the awful typical fx sounds like most other fullon, typical fullonsound is electric universe - cosmic experience for example or all the tracks on the Ten album except the mahadeva rmx, the artists which remixed the Ten album by astral are the artists which produce the sort of fullon that i don´t like at all and can´t see any difference at all between all tracks except that the melodies and notes are different, there isn´t any other difference there, not to speak about the quality, the stereoeffects which are always used in fullon can easyly be done with the very old buzzeffekt effects from fruityloops 1 which are freeware and noone who makes decent msuic (not fullon) use that childish free stereoeffects, fullon can easyly be done with a ts404 or any other cheap fruityloops synth, the typical fullon fx effects appear in my synths when there´s something wrong and the synths don´t work properly and the programs are broken! Ofcourse i meant he fullon produced by the described artists, the new mfg album of mfg for example isn´t that bad IMO.

528041[/snapback]

I'm not sure if you really understand your statement. Could you at least try to use some punctuation marks? From what I understand you said in your first post that all full-on sounds the same. Now you are saying that not all full-on is the same and that there is some better stuff like new MFG for example? So you contradict yourself in your own posts (or you are trying to talk yourself out, I don't know).

Yawn, it's really getting tiring to read your completely prejudiced opinions about full on. There is excellently produced full on out there - and also full on with a high level of musical content. Look beyond your killar oldschool spirtual bom shankar goa psychadelik, and see that there is much more to full on than Astrix and Skazi.

528031[/snapback]

Totally agree...

i think he is allergic to the bassline.

makes sense to me after reading all his posts!

am i right radi? :)

528047[/snapback]

The basslines hurt my ears and my whole body, i´am sure that eardoctors wouldn´t recommend listening fullon at all because of the compresse dhard basslinecrap and i´am sure if we would do a test with the same speakers the fullon speakers would break first, IMO it´s not healthy to listen to that rolling killargh bassline crap.

I'm not sure if you really understand your statement. Could you at least try to use some punctuation marks? From what I understand you said in your first post that all full-on sounds the same. Now you are saying that not all full-on is the same and that there is some better stuff like new MFG for example? So you contradict yourself in your own posts (or you are trying to talk yourself out, I don't know).

Totally agree...

528050[/snapback]

Okay not all but most fullon is the same, some exceptions are for example mfg - message from god but i´am sure 90 percent of fullon are crap and sound like what i descpribed in the posts above, the worst is when in some awful fullon tracks with killargh awful rolling basslines and fx appear guitars and/or singing.

waiting for answer tatsu

The basslines hurt my ears and my whole body, i´am sure that eardoctors wouldn´t recommend listening fullon at all because of the compresse dhard basslinecrap and i´am sure if we would do a test with the same speakers the fullon speakers would break first, IMO it´s not healthy to listen to that rolling killargh bassline crap.

528052[/snapback]

I'll doubt you'll find any scientific facts for that. If you listen to full-on on a normal volume it's equaly dangerous/safe like any other music.

Okay not all but most fullon is the same, some exceptions are for example mfg - message from god but i´am sure 90 percent of fullon are crap and sound like what i descpribed in the posts above, the worst is when in some awful fullon tracks with killargh awful rolling basslines and fx appear guitars and/or singing.

waiting for answer tatsu

528054[/snapback]

Ok, now we're getting somwhere! :) I don't agree about the 90%, it's less imho. But that's only a detail. I've said in my first post that there is bad full-on, there is no doubt about it. But if you don't like singing or guitars this has nothing to do with bad production (or the basssline), only with personal taste. Not all guitar tracks are cheap wanna-be heavy metal riffs. That does not mean you have to like them, it's still your taste. But even when you don't like it it would hurt to have a somewhat balanced view instead of that small-minded statements from your first post.

Maybe you should take some more time when you write your posts? I mean your english in the last to posts sounds way better and more undestandable than in the first one. Even I get what you wanted to say... ;)

Guest Astro Cortex

528052[/snapback]

Hahahahahaha, now that's some hilarious bullshit! :lol::lol::lol:

I'll doubt you'll find any scientific facts for that. If you listen to full-on on a normal volume it's equaly dangerous/safe like any other music.

Hmmm, maybe you should check this article

most full on stuff is waaaay too compressed and that makes it tiring to listen to, compared to older, less compressed stuff.

some quotes:

"Hence, perhaps, the perpetual merry-go-round of seeking the newest flavour-of-the-month; over-compressed music sounds great for a couple of listens, but there is little desire to replay the music because your brain recognises that there is something fundamentally unmusical about the sound."

"Music is about tension and release. With very "hot," un-dynamic music there is no release because the sensory assault simply doesn’t let-up. By the time you've listened closely (or tried to) to a whole album that's heavily compressed, you end up feeling like Alex at the end of A Clockwork Orange—battered, fatigued by, and disgusted with the music you love."

Yet another thread complaining about those who complain.

Saying folk shouldn't complain about full-on (or any topic for that matter) is akin to saying they shouldn't express themselves. I do admit it gets tiresome seeing the same person repeatedly moaning about the same thing, but hey, that's their perogative to do so.

Hmmm, maybe you should check this article

most full on stuff is waaaay too compressed and that makes it tiring to listen to, compared to older, less compressed stuff.

some quotes:

"Hence, perhaps, the perpetual merry-go-round of seeking the newest flavour-of-the-month; over-compressed music sounds great for a couple of listens, but there is little desire to replay the music because your brain recognises that there is something fundamentally unmusical about the sound."

"Music is about tension and release. With very "hot," un-dynamic music there is no release because the sensory assault simply doesn’t let-up. By the time you've listened closely (or tried to) to a whole album that's heavily compressed, you end up feeling like Alex at the end of A Clockwork Orange—battered, fatigued by, and disgusted with the music you love."

528081[/snapback]

I just crossread the first few paragraphs from that article but from what I can tell (feel free to correct me of course! :) ), also after reading your quotes, it's more that the music sounds less appealing when it's mastered in the wrong way or compressed too much. I haven't found a sentence where they say that it damages your ears if you listen to a certain kind of music on a regular/normal volume level. It might be more damaging if you listen to the stuff too loud, especially with earphones, but that's not exactly a surprise.

Anyway... the thing to remember about full-on is that it is music designed for a dance floor. Plenty of us who listen to psytrance outside of the party context tend to prefer deeper and richer productions... stop me if I'm making a poor assumption, but I think this affects what we like to hear on the dance floor as well. Cookie cutter full-on doesn't do it for me. As a DJ my approach is geared towards playing stuff that is enjoyable at home out at the party as well... now, I do listen to some full-on at home, but it has got to be the stuff that is really interesting, with more than just a killer bass line. I don't think it is such a bad standard for sorting out what cross-section of full-on to feature in the party context.

That's just my approach (and perhaps this resonantes with some forum members, who knows). I just think it is important to know that a lot of full-on only comes to life when it is live and loud in the context for which it was designed. I'd peg the quantity of disposable full-on released at about 75%... most of this stuff is made to get thrown around and later forgotten. Forum people forget that the driving factor are the biggest psytrance dance floors on the world - located in Goa, Thailand, London, etc. These dance floors, as gestalt organisms, demand new sounds constantly. This fuels the production of mass quantities of music... more than what the home listener would demand. The thing to remember is that you are not the sole representative of the global audience... psytrance is a music that is consumed in many different ways. To meet these demands, a lot of psytrance is released that would not meet with the approval of the discerning listener, or the home listener, or the intrepid reviewer - but it might meet with an ethusiastic response from people who simply attend the parties and don't actually own a single CD (or many others, besides that)... and, you know, I believe there are many more casual psytrance fans than there are notorious collectors and otherwise outspoken listeners.

As with any music, if you dig deep, you will find quality stuff... if you want a great full-on album, I suggest checking out Xerox & Illumination's latest... now that is power!