V/A - Kwarup

DeathPosture

V/A - Kwarup

Posted Image

Hi-res cover: front

Artist: Various

Title: Kwarup (compiled by Lennox & Nadi)

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Tupan Records (Brazil)/Ear Peaks

Cat. #: TUPAN CD001/EPEAKS CD001

Distribution: Psyshop.net

Date: 27 April 2006

Track listing:

01. 09’15” Leo – New York Vibes

02. 07’28” Space Safari – I Should Have Known

03. 08’01” Shuma – Illektro Music (Sonic Lizard Remix)

04. 08’33” Chris Cargo – You R

05. 08’38” Absolut & Blade - Crash

06. 08’16” Mirowsky & Thomas Penton – Deep (Mirowsky Remix)

07. 08’55” Audio Factory – I Am

08. 07’56” Jokke Ilsøe - Static

09. 07’52” Sonic Lizard – Flower Of Pain

Review:

Samba-tech!

From Brazil comes the newest addition to the Ear Peaks music group. Following Domo Records from Israel, Tupan Records will be Ear Peaks’ outlet for tribal progressive trance. The first release is Kwarup which features an interesting blend of well-known artists + rising talents… DJ Nadi from Domo Records compiled it in collaboration with DJ Lennox… Looks interesting indeed…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Leo – New York Vibes

Brazilian-born, New York-based producer Leonardo Leal Leite had a very nice track featured on the 2005 Tribal Vision compilation Lime Light… As the title suggests, we’re getting some deep, pounding inner-city grooves here… But his Brazilian heritage does not go unnoticed as track also has a distinct tribal touch to it… So yeah, this is urban tribal with a big splash of teKkhouse… Pretty good, though it seems maybe a little too long and unfocussed at times… But as a DJ tool, this is ripe… Nice opening!

#02: Space Safari – I Should Have Known

Space Safari is an alias for Frank Beckers who made the smash hit Switch last year. This track was already released on wax by Vertikal Records, but this is my first encounter with it… Style wise this is much more distinct than the previous track – it’s über-sharp, pointy electro-house with razor sharp progression and tight synths… Pretty fucking awesome except for one little thing - - those horrible vocals! I dunno why the hell people with bad voices insist on singing anyway? It’s such a shame, as the music here rocks – but the vocals are downright terrible… Come again Frank!

#03: Shuma – Illektro Music (Sonic Lizard Remix)

Shuma (Emir Cehaic & Davor Tosovic) from Croatia also had their original version of Illektro featured on the above mentioned Lime Light compilation. I really liked the edgy blend of elektro and progressive trance. Here it’s being remixed by Sonic Lizard (Joao Hortale) from Brazil – and I believe this is his debut. Anyway, the distinct electro-drenched synth experimentation from the original is still very much present here, but Joao added some depth + even more groove… And that makes a great track even greater – this is a huuuuuge crossover bomb. Funkier than the front row at a Parliament gig – groovalicious! I totally dig it!

#04: Chris Cargo – You R

Scottish producer Chris Cargo is a household name in progressive house/trance circles with an impressive number of releases under his belt… This is my first encounter with his music though. Already released on wax by Kumquat Tunes in 2005, this track is a hard-hitting, pounding excursion into progressive trance… Minimal at first, but soon it progresses into a funky beast… Linear in structure – but it’s very effective nonetheless… I dig the Tristan-like vox and the huge, reverb-soaked groove… Lovely!

#05: Absolut & Blade – Crash

Andre Abt (from Switzerland) & Erich Blattler (Germany) are both well-know and respected progressive/tech house producers – and especially André Absolut has impressed me with his never-ending quest to bring mysterious, deep tech-house to the masses… This track is also previously released on wax by Kumquat Tunes, but again this is my first encounter with it… In keeping with tradition, this is super-tight, nitty-gritty tech-trance with a distinct progressive edge to it… A fine balance if you ask me… Sure it has commercial elements, but generally this is a deep, pounding belter… Hands-in-the air material for sure… Brilliant!

#06: Mirowsky & Thomas Penton – Deep (Mirowsky Remix)

Mirowsky is Eric Schoen from Switzerland – and on this track he’s in cahoots with the well-known American producer Thomas Penton. I haven’t heard the original – and I have no idea why Mirowsky is remixing himself, but nepotism aside, this is another damn fine tech-trance track… It’s a tad more uplifting and clubby than some of the previous tracks, but luckily it doesn’t cross fully over into club-cheese… The first half of the track is the most interesting, as it seems too loose its punch towards the end…Good, but not amazing…

#07: Audio Factory – I Am

Audio Factory is a Brazilian collective consisting of Marco Crespo, Otavio Crespo, Bruno Pita and Tobias De Mello. And sure enough, it’s time for a tribal samba-tech injection – straight outta Copacabana! This rhythm-based, percussion-heavy piece of tribal trance is as rich as it is groovy… The voice samples are cool and the melodic pads in the background serve as a majestic backdrop… A truly wonderful track!

#08: Jokke Ilsøe – Static

Jokke (Ilsøe) from Denmark has been in the game for a while, mostly featured on Iboga releases. His True To Nature project (with Tom Von Rosen) was responsible for the best two tracks off the recent Sofa Beats compilation Floating Point 3. This track is trademark Jokke: A clash of electro-ridden deep, housy beats mixed with subtle percussion and floating wall-paper melodies… It sounds like a winning combination in writing, but sadly this track doesn’t really do much else than bore me… It’s decent at best… Auch!

#09: Sonic Lizard – Flower Of Pain

I have no idea what a ‘flower of pain’ is, but who cares? Joao Hortale from Brazil returns for the closing statement… And as legend prescribes, it’s time for an oddball track… Well, kind of… This is definitely different from the rest of the stuff here – it’s a weird hybrid of house, electro and horny progressive trance… Flowing, danceable, groovy, sweaty and totally sexy… And a little weird too… But in a good way! Hehe…

With only a couple of minor gripes, this is indeed an impressive debut release from Tupan Records. I like most of the tracks here, and especially the middle part (the licensed tracks) is kicking some serious progressive ass… The stand-out tracks queue up, and with the exception of only the Jokke track, I like everything here… The artwork is pretty damn cool too – and I like the whole Brazilian ‘theme’. The flow could use some work though, but that doesn’t stop me from being impressed by this compilation. It’s the first real summer blaster of the season – and I bet we’ll be hearing a lot of these tracks at this year’s festivals.

Vinyl-purists will probably complain that three of these tracks were already released, but as a CD-only guy, I’m just happy to be able to own them on CD… A recommend purchase to fans of progressive crossover music with a distinct samba-tech flavour… Enjoy!

Favourites: 3(!), 4(!), 5(!), 7(!), 9

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Tupan Records: http://www.tupan-records.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/676219

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/qe7bg

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/s6j3z

Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/qjmta

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/nv587

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/p8uzp

Artist: Various

Title: Kwarup - compiled by Lennox & Nadi

Label: Tupan Records (Ear Peaks Music Group)

Format: CD

Released: April, 2006

Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/epe1cd001_b.jpg

Review:

Ear Peaks Music Group is the new overhead project by the people behind the highly respected Israeli progressive label Domo Records. Ear Peaks Music Group contains 3 labels: Domo Records, the original label, releasing progressive psytrance. Gat Music, a new downbeat label, and finally Tupan Records, concentrated on the tribal and clubby trance/house sounds. The debut from Tupan Records, compiled by the two label-DJ's Lennox and Nadi has just been released, and the title is "Kwarup". On the tracklist we find a bunch of tracks by both new and old artists - mostly unreleased, but also with a few 12"-rereleases.

01. Leo - New York Vibes [126 BPM]

First track is by Leo, who some might remember from his track "Music Design Revolution", which was on Tribal Visions "Lime Light" compilation. "New York Vibes" doesn't impress me as much as my first encounter with his sound - it's less trancy, more tribal and housey, and has a slightly gloomy atmosphere. An ok opening-tune.

02. Space Safari - I Should Have Known [130 BPM]

Next up is man of the moment Frank Beckers with the track "I Should Have Known", released under his Space Safari project, and a re-release of a 12" from Vertikal Records. Although Beckers/Space Safari does have a lot of hits lately, I feel his productions are either hit or miss - and this one is a big miss. It does have some positive, smilebringing grooves and naïve melodies, but the male vocals are simply atrocious in my ears.

03. Shuma - Illektro Music (Sonic Lizard Remix) [130 BPM]

"Illektro Music" by the Croatian act Shuma was originally released on Tribal Visions "Lime Light" compilation, and here we have a remix by Sonic Lizard, which is the musical project of DJ Lennox, the A&R of Tupan Records, who also compiled this compilation. Sonic Lizards remix has toned down the energetic electro-drive from the original, and made it a much funkier tune with strong progressive beats and very positive grooves. Good remix.

04. Chris Cargo - You R [128 BPM]

UK's Chris Cargo, known for releases on big progressive labels like Renaissance and Choo Choo is up next with "You R". This is a re-release of a 12" from Kumquat Records, and it's a strong tune, that certainly has Cargos quality tribal progressive beats, but doesn't excel as one of his absolute best creations. A good track overall though.

05. Absolut & Blade - Crash [130 BPM]

The swiss producer-duo Absolut & Blade have really made their mark on the progressive trance/house scene in the last couple of years, and I personally consider André Absolut one of my absolute favourite producers at the moment - everything he touches seem to turn into gold. "Crash" is another re-release from a 12" from Kumquat Records, and it's a dirtier, more electro-driven tune than the standard melodic trance/house from Absolut. It's simply packed with techy energy, and it's been a big dancefloor hit since it's initial release. Great, great stuff.

06. Mirowsky & Thomas Penton - Deep (Mirowsky Remix) [130 BPM]

Thomas Penton is one of the most well-established names in the tribal/progressive house circles, and "Deep" is a collaboration with the relatively new Swiss project Mirowsky - in a remix by Mirowky. Knowing that Penton was involved in this, I must say it was a disappointment - bland, uninteresting, without any real development through the track, and lacking Pentons trademark power.

07. Audio Factory - I Am [130 BPM]

Up next is the debut-release for the new Brazilian project Audio Factory consisting of no more than 4 members. "I Am" is a deep and slightly gloomy tune with very heavy tribal elements, a haunting male voice-sample and some slightly dark pads here and there. Nothing really groundbreaking here, but this new duo certainly know what they're doing - a strong debut.

08. Jokke Ilsoe - Static [130 BPM]

Jokke Ilsoe from Denmark, also known for his involvement in the duo True To Nature, is up next with "Static". I love most of his productions, and this one has an understated electro-feel, tight percussion that stands out from the more tribal theme on the rest of the compilation, and subtle melodies and effects, but sadly maybe also too subtle - it didn't really grab me as much as I had hoped for.

09. Sonic Lizard - Flower Of Pain [133 BPM]

The last track on the compilation is "Power Of Pain" by DJ Lennox' progressive project Sonic Lizard. It's an upbeat progressive house track, which combines the dominant tribal elements from the rest of the compilation, with electro-powered leads, which gives it a great drive. Not extremely exciting, and as good as his first appearance on the compilation, but certainly worth the bucks.

Bottom line:

With "Kwarup", Tupan Records have really marketed themselves as a label with a strong focus for tribal and progressive house. "Kwarup" doesn't bring much new into the scene, but even though it's not among the very best compilations in its style, and although there are a few misses on the tracklist, it's probably a compilation that'll be a small hit among progressive fans looking for tribal beats with a hint of electro.

Favourites:

3, 4, 5 (!!), 7

Verdict:

7/10

Link:

Tupan Records: http://www.tupan-records.com