Morphing sounds from one to another

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to know what's the best method for morphing sounds from one to another? For example if I have two samples, how do I morph the tail end of one of the samples into the beginning of the other sample so they actually sound as if one sample is becoming the other?

I hope this question makes sense. Thankyou in advance for all help!

Maybe you could attach two samplers to a vocoder, and turn up the vocoder at the point of blending so that at least the voices sound similar to each other. Still, it sounds like something too complex for traditional software.

You're thinking of making a morph between, say, an electric guitar and a dog barking, I take it? ;)

As far as I know, Kyma is the only system capable of directly doing this, although you might get somewhere with a resynthesising instrument like the Camel Audio one (can't remember its name off the top of my head).

The way was done in the oldschool electroacoustic days before fuckoff DSP was to set up eg. 16 channels on a mixer with the start sound on the left and the end sound on the right, with the first 8 channels carrying the start sound and the second 8 carrying the end sound; the composer would then work from the ends of the mixer in towards the middle, succesively modifying each channel with whatever EQ or effects were available so that each channel sounded slightly different from the last, with the aim of getting to the point where the two channels in the middle of the desk sounded similar enough (despite their different origins) for a transition between them to be as seamless as possible.

To mix down the morph, the composer would start off with all faders at the bottom except the first one (carrying the un-effected start sound) and, over the lengh of the sound, perform manual fader crossfades between successive channels on the mixer, ending up (hopefully) at the end sound before it finished!

BTW click here for another discussion on this subject... :P

A cheap way of going about it is simultaneous crossfading and filter sweeping so that the frequencies of the first sound dissolve into the frequencies of the second.

Best way, though, would be vocoding if your vocoder unit supports wet/dry. You could keep the knob turned all the way to your source sound, then record its automation and turn it all the way to the modifying sound, of course, you'll need to keep playing the modified sound on a seperate channel and fade it in in sync with the wet/dry automation. You won't get very good results this way always, either, because morphing completely depends on the sounds you intend to morph.

Well, fade the volumes, use some different filters. Maybe high pass filter both sounds so they sound very tiny when they morph, and then lower the filter so you can really hear the new sound.

You could also try cutting the sounds up in pieces of, say, 64ths or 128ths. Then mix them so that in the middle it's one of the first, one of the second sound. And then the first sound decreases so at the end you will only hear the second one.

I doubt anyone will ever decipher my second tip though :(

I would use a phase-vocoder (which is not the same as a plain vocoder). It operates on the partial frequencies of the sounds, and it would be possible to do some sort of interpolation between the spectrums of the two sounds. This method is not perfect, though, and some problems may arise, due to phase-distortion and whatnot.

Oh yeah, another problem is that you will probably have to code it yourself ;)

But do a search, and maybe you'll get lucky! Edit: LINK

-A

You're thinking of making a morph between, say, an electric guitar and a dog barking, I take it? ;)

As far as I know, Kyma is the only system capable of directly doing this, although you might get somewhere with a resynthesising instrument like the Camel Audio one (can't remember its name off the top of my head).

I've listened to the samples of morphing for that program, and yes! That's exactly the same effect I'm looking for! Sadly, the price and extremely advanced nature of Kyma are not :( I still have alot of the basics of synthesis and the likes to learn before delving into the most advanced stuff.

Reading a review of Kyma, it said that alot of the features of Kyma are slowly being being made available with other software. Would you know of any software that can create a similiar effect? Do you use Kyma yourself?

I also advise everyone go to the Kyma website and listen to the audio morphing samples. They're amazing. http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/v...ucts/SoundClips

The way was done in the oldschool electroacoustic days before fuckoff DSP was to set up eg. 16 channels on a mixer with the start sound on the left and the end sound on the right, with the first 8 channels carrying the start sound and the second 8 carrying the end sound; the composer would then work from the ends of the mixer in towards the middle, succesively modifying each channel with whatever EQ or effects were available so that each channel sounded slightly different from the last, with the aim of getting to the point where the two channels in the middle of the desk sounded similar enough (despite their different origins) for a transition between them to be as seamless as possible.

To mix down the morph, the composer would start off with all faders at the bottom except the first one (carrying the un-effected start sound) and, over the lengh of the sound, perform manual fader crossfades between successive channels on the mixer, ending up (hopefully) at the end sound before it finished!

This sounds like an interesting idea. I suppose I could create a similiar effect by automating an EQ and other effects? I will have to try this method out. Thankyou :)

Best way, though, would be vocoding if your vocoder unit supports wet/dry. You could keep the knob turned all the way to your source sound, then record its automation and turn it all the way to the modifying sound, of course, you'll need to keep playing the modified sound on a seperate channel and fade it in in sync with the wet/dry automation. You won't get very good results this way always, either, because morphing completely depends on the sounds you intend to morph.

521972[/snapback]

This sounds interesting. I'll have to try it out. Thanks :)

try IZotope Spectron.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/spectron/

there's a how to under

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/spectron/morph.html

522264[/snapback]

Hmm, this looks intriguing. Listening to the samples, it didn't sound quite as good as the Kyma. I'm definately going to have to check this out though.

I would use a phase-vocoder (which is not the same as a plain vocoder). It operates on the partial frequencies of the sounds, and it would be possible to do some sort of interpolation between the spectrums of the two sounds. This method is not perfect, though, and some problems may arise, due to phase-distortion and whatnot.

Oh yeah, another problem is that you will probably have to code it yourself ;)

Code it myself. You should have mentioned that part first! Lol. There's already too many aspects of music creation I need to learn, I don't need to learn programming too. :P I will have a look around for some phase vocoder's though. You don't know of any phase vocoder VSTs do you?

Thanks alot to everyone who took the time to reply! I've got a few leads now to look into for doing these morphing sounds. If anyone else has any idea, please post them :)

I've listened to the samples of morphing for that program, and yes! That's exactly the same effect I'm looking for! Sadly, the price and extremely advanced nature of Kyma are not :( I still have alot of the basics of synthesis and the likes to learn before delving into the most advanced stuff.

Reading a review of Kyma, it said that alot of the features of Kyma are slowly being being made available with other software. Would you know of any software that can create a similiar effect? Do you use Kyma yourself?

I also advise everyone go to the Kyma website and listen to the audio morphing samples. They're amazing. http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/v...ucts/SoundClips

This sounds like an interesting idea. I suppose I could create a similiar effect by automating an EQ and other effects? I will have to try this method out. Thankyou :)

This sounds interesting. I'll have to try it out. Thanks :)

Hmm, this looks intriguing. Listening to the samples, it didn't sound quite as good as the Kyma. I'm definately going to have to check this out though.

Code it myself. You should have mentioned that part first! Lol. There's already too many aspects of music creation I need to learn, I don't need to learn programming too. :P I will have a look around for some phase vocoder's though. You don't know of any phase vocoder VSTs do you?

Thanks alot to everyone who took the time to reply! I've got a few leads now to look into for doing these morphing sounds. If anyone else has any idea, please post them :)

523622[/snapback]

nice sig man!

oh and dont ask me about any morphs,the only morphing i do is in my mind!!! ;):P

Why thankyou! Do you recognise where it's from?

Oh yes. I enjoy morphing my mind too!

524271[/snapback]

the part with ,it will smash your brain permanently, is familiar,but i cant rmember where i heard it...

help? :P

the part with ,it will smash your brain permanently, is familiar,but i cant rmember where i heard it...

help? :P

524560[/snapback]

It's from the song Trust No Goblin by Talpa. I love that song! The words are hard to make out because it's said in a goblins voice with alot of vocoding. It's towards the end of the track.

Prosoniq Morph:

http://products.prosoniq.com/cgi-bin/regis...detail&refno=41

Haven't tried it myself though.

524647[/snapback]

Thanks alot for the link! Unfortunately I'm at work right now so I can't listen to the samples or test it out. But it definately looks promising! :D

Thanks alot for your help! :D

It sounds good too... I think it could very well be phase vocoder based. But then again, that's my sollution for everything. I think I'll try to do one myself, whenever this damn examn-paper is written. Do any of you have experience with C-programming on windows? Because I only work on mac, and can't be bothered to figure out how to compile for windows...

-A

Thanks alot for the link! Unfortunately I'm at work right now so I can't listen to the samples or test it out. But it definately looks promising! :D

524882[/snapback]

Hey no problem. The samples do indeed sound good. Got to try it sometime myself too (like umpteen other plugins).