Artist: Droidlock

Insejn

Artist: Droidlock

Date: 07-26-02

By: Mars

Q: We've seen you for a long time in very different places (mainly ZA & FR) with different names and different people. Please explain us.

A: I've spend few years Djing and doing parties/festivals in South Africa . I setup a music studio in cape town and start the Droidlock project sometime in 97.

Few years later , in 99 maybe , i moved the studio in south of france and met Pea ( Yumade ) . We had a really good time making music together and soon after few realesed we did the Snug album.

I m also doing some down kick stuff , what s been realesed on databass and Kamaflage Rec as 'Bebop' ...

Q: After the Snug as a Bug album, you are releasing a "collaboration" album as Droidlock : 'High Phonics for a Replicant'. Will there be significant changes to your style with this album ?

A: Not really ... I see it more as two differents alb concept , out of the same studio...

Snug is the result of the synergy between Péa of Yumade and i . Droidlock album is more like "a familly album" ; friends passing through my studio during last winter...

The idea , beside having a good time , was to cross different type of techno trance music througth the influence of each guest.

Q: There is a special darkish touch in all your tracks. Is there a real intent to make us have chill in the spin ?

A: The reaction on a track depent too much of the personne state of mind , the place , the time , the DJ...

I guess i m just trying to make it sound good , easy to dj and hope people will have a good time listening or dancing to it...

Anyway , somehow i don't have any opinion about my music ...

Q: Has your equipment and/or the way you're working changed with the years ?

A: Obviously yes .... actually that s a good thing about doing music , u can just get better !

Collaboration in studios showed me a lot too ... Joti , for exemple gave me some good tricks for mixing and Simon teached me how to roll my spliff upside down'...

Q: It seems you like to make tracks with some particular artists (Péa, Dino, Joti, Serge...), isn't it ?

A: Dino , Serge , Joti and Max (i mention these ones because they are on the DL album) are my friends for years ... We played in many party around the planet together.

I meet Pea and Paps more recently and, at the begining, i think the interest for each other was more "professionnal" but we became good friends very quick...

Paps is quite amazing in studio , he s really having a twisted approche of making a track , and Péa is probably one of the more talented guy i know to do an arrangement. Anyway , beside the talent of each one , our first relationship is simply friendly ...

Q: Would you like to make tracks with some other artists ?

A: Didn't think about that... i suppose there are many...

Q: Now you're standalone, do you still happen to work with the Databass crew (Péa & Paps) ? Maybe more Snug ?

A: Maybe more 'Snug' but certainly some 'Face'! Pea and i are currently working on a new album for DTB . We are not sure when it will be ready , maybe sometime around next december...

Q: I know you have Yet another project...so ?

A: What do u mean ??? I do also have an other project , ambiant ; or down beat if u prefer ; but it is very 'fresh' so i would prefer not to speak about it...

Q: Now you're going all over the world, When & where was your best party ? And your worst one ?

A: Lots of good parties, everywhere ! Recently i had some ecxellent gigs in Mexico, Japan, Toronto and finally Paris with the GAIA X...

I also had some brillant time in S.Africa a little while ago , probably some of the more intense party experience of my life happened in cape Town.

I don't remember any 'worst one' really ... somehow i alway manadge to have a good time in Party and if the situation is really too bad , then i get few drinks , a fat joint and patiently wait for someone to drive me back to my hotel...

Q: What do you think of the Psy-scene at the moment ?

A: It's massive... particulary in the southern ethmisphere ( S.Africa, Japan, Brazil...etc etc ) So many web sites, chats, previews... It doesn't have much left of an underground scene anymore but i guess this music doesn't want to be 'underground' no longer... Anyway , even if trance party are bigger and bigger every years, there is still the same hope on the dancefloor. it's just the beguining...

Q: And what do you feel when you see people totally freak out to your music?

A: It feels a bit strange... but obviously it is a nice feeling.

Q: As a DJ, what are your current favourite groups and tracks ?

A: When DJing , i m using very different type of trance music ; passing from 'Mosquito' to 'Synthetic', from 'Mos' to 'Hallucinogen', 'Yumade' to 'Etnica'...

'Beat Machine' from Dado is one of my favorite tune at the moment but it's unfair to mention only one track, there are many i like !!! I suppose i like a tune as soon as it sounds fat, original and surpising.

Q: As of today, what is your favourite Droidlock track ?

A: The one i just started , but it is always like this.

Q: What do you think of the MP3 revolution, and what do you think of people trading them without buying the stuff ?

A: MP3 is great; it makes music available to anyone... I'm not sure people should dj with it.

Thanks very much and we wish you good luck for the future !