OZRIC TENTACLES

Bahamut

Man, I almost forgot how great they are!

Why aren't they just about anyone's favorites? They should be, considering your people's taste in music... ^^ all this chit chat about psytrance and psyambient.. while the Ozrics basicly rule them all!

The sounds, the melodies, the drive and energy in their tracks.. it's amazing! Their electronic/synth sounds are top notch as well.

Much more original/freestyle/improvised music, instead of programmed boom boom boom boom patterns.

Ozric Tentacles RULE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astro Cortex

Hell, I couldn't agree more! :)

They were actually my first step beyond psytrance/"psybient", I think their music hugely influenced my liking of other electronic genres, of course ambient in particular. I wonder how many people here are actually familiar with their work.

ozric tentacles is pure luuuv :D couldn't imagine my life without them. yesterday I listened to Spirals In Hyperspace and Strangeitude. two cool albums. but watch out for Waterfall Cities if you are new to them - it's far from their best album.

My favorite is "Jurassic Shift". Pure perfection.

I have that album on CD and about 7-8 more as mp3, and the only problem i have with their music is that it's a little short on variation... Many melodies sound similar, and if you've heard one album you basically got their "concept". But that concept has room for around 10 different types of tracks so it's good :)

Freaking mad music.

Guest Astro Cortex

ozric tentacles is pure luuuv  :D couldn't imagine my life without them. yesterday I listened to Spirals In Hyperspace and Strangeitude. two cool albums. but watch out for Waterfall Cities if you are new to them - it's far from their best album.

516729[/snapback]

Hmm, Waterfall Cities was actually the first Ozric CD I bought, so it's the one that got me hooked. I think it's one of their best albums, along with Arborescence, There is Nothing, and Sliding Gliding Worlds. Strangeitude is one of their weaker efforts IMHO.

Ozric is the perfect roadtrip music.

I 've seen them life once and they truly rocked, no, spaced.

Only the excessive use of strobolights irritated me pretty intense. The 70's fluid visuals on the otherhand really made me feel like a hippy on Woodstock.

As you know, Eat Static is a sideproject, but there's also one called ZubZub by the bassist Zia (who left Ozric's in 1993). Not as good, but it's ok, and some tracks have ozric feel. More electronic though.

ozric tentacles is pure luuuv  :D couldn't imagine my life without them. yesterday I listened to Spirals In Hyperspace and Strangeitude. two cool albums. but watch out for Waterfall Cities if you are new to them - it's far from their best album.

516729[/snapback]

Wow, I considered Waterfall Cities to be their best. Especially the track Sultana Detrii. Pure dub bliss. The basslines are catchy as hell on that sing.

Ozrics best song ever though, is Tight Spin, off of The Hidden Step. There's about 4-5 different genres of music in that song. Ed Wynne is probably the most UNDERRATED guitarist of all time.

Wow, I considered Waterfall Cities to be their best.  Especially the track Sultana Detrii.  Pure dub bliss.  The basslines are catchy as hell on that sing.

517767[/snapback]

Agree. Waterfall Cities is best from what I've heard, and Sultana Detrii is my favourite track.

Guest Astro Cortex

no watch out the first albums from 80's, also the newest is quite boring but has few nice tracks, wonder what they cook with totally new line up, only ed wynne left.

517768[/snapback]

You mean the early tapes? Those are great as well. A bit more raw and organic sound, but I love it. :)

Also agree on Sultana Detrii, best track on WC and one of my fave Ozric tunes in general.

Ozrics best song ever though, is Tight Spin, off of The Hidden Step.  There's about 4-5 different genres of music in that song.  Ed Wynne is probably the most UNDERRATED guitarist of all time.

517767[/snapback]

yeah 'Tight Spin' is awesome, the whole album is in fact. there's a song off The Hidden Step or a part of a song actually that reminded me alot of Shpongle - was it 'Tight Spin'? I can't remember which one it was but it was my instant thought "hey they must have listened to shpongle while doin this one".

btw. what kind of trance would an ozric-fan like? please pm if that's more appropriate.

yeah 'Tight Spin' is awesome, the whole album is in fact. there's a song off The Hidden Step or a part of a song actually that reminded me alot of Shpongle - was it 'Tight Spin'? I can't remember which one it was but it was my instant thought "hey they must have listened to shpongle while doin this one".

btw. what kind of trance would an ozric-fan like? please pm if that's more appropriate.

518173[/snapback]

Can't think of much trance that sounds like this.... That would be some ambient/chillout trance...

I listen them 4 times in thessaloniki but the last was like shit.The guy who plays the winds was gone :blink:

Wa de Fuck???do you know somebody if hes gone forever? :ph34r:

517005[/snapback]

i 've also see them 4 times in thessaloniki,but i didn't go to their last event,only the guitar guy is still here...john the flute player is gone also seaweed is gone forever and as far as i know their bass player have left 2-3 years before..

the fact is that the ozrics were always under ED's rules,so their journey still continewz

518173[/snapback]

Most of Ozrics albums came out before Shpongle released anything. :) I think Posford did a remix of an Ozric track, so it's kinda the other way around.

Much more original/freestyle/improvised music, instead of programmed boom boom boom boom patterns.

516684[/snapback]

Maybe that is the reason why I don't like them.

Honestly, I once downloaded a few of their tracks because I heard people talking about how great they are and such ... I didn't like the stuff. It appears too irregular for me, you know. Freestyleish and floating and irregular. No "programmed boom boom patterns". And I guess that's what I'm missing. I need the programmed stuff, it's more structured and it's not irregular. I need structure.

I've seen them live a few weeks ago, they were great. They played a lot of old songs from Erpland and Pungent Effulgent, which I liked a lot. Can't remember exactly, because I was stoned and drunk as hell...

Maybe that is the reason why I don't like them.

Honestly, I once downloaded a few of their tracks because I heard people talking about how great they are and such ... I didn't like the stuff. It appears too irregular for me, you know. Freestyleish and floating and irregular. No "programmed boom boom patterns". And I guess that's what I'm missing. I need the programmed stuff, it's more structured and it's not irregular. I need structure.

518940[/snapback]

Well, one of reasons I like the Ozrics is because their tracks are not just wild jam sessions, there is structure and direction.