Just for the hell of it pt.2

Shaft, why dont you use Aux sends? :blink:

532884[/snapback]

To be honest, I don't know. :lol:

In some of my Combinator patches I might use a line mixer and use it there - but for me, it's one effect configuration per lead/pad/etc - gives me more control than say having one effect configuration for multiple leads/pads...

Of course, if I only need a certain amount of effect on a devices, I'll use an aux send - but then I usually contain that within a line mixer inside a Combi patch, so you can't see those! ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike - I have that same processor. How is your CPU so strained?

534956[/snapback]

Mike sent me a different screenshot of the same project that shows a little more. Otto - you see all those MIDI tracks (14-36)? Each one is connected to a different VSTi. And let's just say that our Mike A isn't shy of using a VST plugin or two.

Mike sent me a different screenshot of the same project that shows a little more.  Otto - you see all those MIDI tracks (14-36)?  Each one is connected to a different VSTi.  And let's just say that our Mike A isn't shy of using a VST plugin or two.

535002[/snapback]

I see. That would make sense then - because it's a pretty powerful processor.

Here's mine:

As you can see i leave a lot of my stuff in midi as my cpu load isn't so high..I should start to bounce stuff more though!

Posted Image

536462[/snapback]

If I might make a suggestion, using audio parts to group together eg. 8 bars worth of kickdrums, instead of having each one on its own in the arrange window, would make things much easier to handle and edit - ghost parts even more so.

Hmmm that's a good tip! Why didn't i think of that before? :P

Is bouncing an 8 bar loop into a new audio file the only way to do this, or is there another way?

I'm not sure what you mean by ghost parts though!

EDIT:

Ok just tried it out by right clicking & choosing audio --> bounce selection which works but there's another problem! Since my master fader is around - 10 db when it bounces the file it goes down by a few db's..Now if i pull the fader up to 0 db & bounce the file obviously it'll clip..Any clue how to get around this? <_<

Select 8-bar's worth of kick-drums, right-click: Audio -> Events to Part

Your kicks are now inside an 'audio part', which is basically a container that groups a one or a number of audio events together as one. You can edit the clips inside it by double-clicking, which brings up the audio part editor, and remove the part (returning the clips to the arrange window as they were before) by right-clicking Audio -> Dissolve Part.

A 'ghost copy' is a copy of an object that refers to the same data as the original; ie. if you change the copy, the original changes too, and vice versa. Very useful for repeated riffs, eg. long stretches of similar kickdrums. ;) Where the default key modifier for a normal copy is alt-drag, the default SX modifier for a ghost copy is shift-alt-drag. Ghost copies are distinguished by italic names. If you want to make a change to just one ghost copy and leave the rest as they are, you can convert the ghost part to a real part by selecting it and right-clicking Edit -> Convert to Real Copy; any changes you now make to this object are not reflected in the other copies. It's vitally important that you keep track of which parts are ghost copies and which are real, as it's easy to mess up your track badly by making large changes to ghost copies without converting them to real ones first. Used properly however, they are an incredibly powerful tool.

Select 8-bar's worth of kick-drums, right-click: Audio -> Events to Part

Your kicks are now inside an 'audio part', which is basically a container that groups a one or a number of audio events together as one.  You can edit the clips inside it by double-clicking, which brings up the audio part editor, and remove the part (returning the clips to the arrange window as they were before) by right-clicking Audio -> Dissolve Part.

A 'ghost copy' is a copy of an object that refers to the same data as the original; ie. if you change the copy, the original changes too, and vice versa.  Very useful for repeated riffs, eg. long stretches of similar kickdrums. ;)  Where the default key modifier for a normal copy is alt-drag, the default SX modifier for a ghost copy is shift-alt-drag.  Ghost copies are distinguished by italic names.  If you want to make a change to just one ghost copy and leave the rest as they are, you can convert the ghost part to a real part by selecting it and right-clicking Edit -> Convert to Real Copy; any changes you now make to this object are not reflected in the other copies.  It's vitally important that you keep track of which parts are ghost copies and which are real, as it's easy to mess up your track badly by making large changes to ghost copies without converting them to real ones first.  Used properly however, they are an incredibly powerful tool.

537499[/snapback]

:o

Woaaah you've made my day!! Excellents tips man you've just revealed a whole new world in SX that i didn't even know existed! Sweet!!!

You da man! ;)

• 7 months later...

I'll have a nice Renoise shot for ya soon!

Not as pretty as some of these, but it works. For now.

:D

Holy crap, I think this is how I won't use FLS for a while :D

Do you also have some finished songs?

@ Taika-Kim, listening now to Goddess Guerrilla album, amazing how you've achieved that on a open source prog :blink:

Its not the tool you are using, its the fool thats using it that matters ;)

This project is a new one so it doesnt have alot of tracks but its done in sonar 6. Nobody else using sonar? im liking it more and more :D

Posted Image

you posting this made me listen to one of your tracks, sounds great :)