07-06'52" Furious-Run Forest!

08-07'09" Candy Power-Micro Cosmos

09-06'37" Innersound-Meditate Tomorrow

psyshop:

Hasta Las Patillas- Discovalley '05

Label site:

DiscoValley

Some kind of Monster!

This is one of my favorite cds in my collection. Very psychedelic, dark-hard-nightime monster throbbers and cerebral cortex-grabbing mayhem all wrapped up into 9 tracks. So here we go!

Track 1 N3XU5-Sacrificial Chamber Starting out with an urgent, "hey! Hey! C'mere! Take a look at this!""What is it?""Its a Datasphere from ps12""Where is she?""Right above sector 14""there isnt anything in Sector 14!""There is now!" immediately followed by a sound like a knife slicing, scraping, hitting stone, then a motion sensor bleep and the bass starts in, not too insistent but captivating. Some squish/squeals and some people in trouble bring the song to speed. Not the darkest of dark songs, although the samples are pretty ominous, not very fast either, compared to some... To me it would be a good opener for a set, get them interested then throw something harder at them. A melodic break with a slowed down bassline, then jump back in to full 16th note bass. Almost could work in the morning, in the right vibe...

Track 2 SofiaX vs Kindzadza WooHOO I love this song!! Starts off with some ambient sweeps and throws the bassline up like bad sushi. Definitely Kindzadza's bassline, throbbing kicking your ass all over the place. Sounds like ghosts, lasers, people chanting, body parts being removed... A dark voice heralds the screamy lead. "This is The Beginning" HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! AAAAAAAAHH! THen we get eaten by the crazy beasts and thrown into a dark subterranean pond. We look around and its so dark we cant see, then a train comes by and shows us the madness all around. We jump on as it passes, riding it like a snake... With all manner of beasts and spirits cavorting... The bass chugs along then changes to Kindzadza's mindwarping style, like Reality itself is being twisted... Head banging like Slayer, we hear a sample some may remember from Kindzaza's album- "operator please I need an exit!!" from the Animatrix. A short break, with a slowed chopped voice sample, another Beginning, and its SMASH TIME!! Stomping in the center of the earth sending our laser signals to distant worlds so they can know how powerful our minds are! A full-power song, as you would expect from Kindzadza, and SofiaX makes the picture whole with a galaxy of noises from the netherworld!!

Track 3 Brain Waves- Spectral Paranoia Starts out with a Japanese man saying something, comes into the stomping bass familiar to fans of this kind of darkpsy. This song seems a bit manic, percussion all over the place, with a cybernetic-analog sound behind, bringing in the crunchy synth. SOme tambourine comes in after a strange noise and takes us farther along. The crunch continues for most of the song, the bassline doesnt change, the synth noises become more holographic as time goes by... Not my favorite of the album, but not bad, reminds me of DIgital Talk meeting up with Paranoize...

Track 4 Kindzadza-On The Nite SIde Leo does his own thing onthis one, starting with clocks, like Pink Floyd, and a twisty bassline with tribalish percussion. "we find fury in energy" A somewhat familiar synth sound, but well done as one would expect! Playing around with the sample and synths he brings us into a cohesive space riddled with arpeggios squinching and grolophing all over us. More bells, more ripping synth, some higher frequencies explored with an analog flavor. Into a 6/8 segment, as do others on this compo. Stomps that around for a bit, a short break, then back to the headbanging. All in all a good song, great example of Leo Greshilov's style.

Track 5 Para Halu-Dead Lights "The itsy bitsy spider..." I never knew a childs rhyme could be so ominous. Then some samples from It, " I swear Ill come back..." And we're in that special Para Halu place. A bassline sounds like its bubbling from a volcano, synths almost clearly crunchy. More It samps, and squishing ensues! Very entrancing song, very dark as we all know Para Halu must be. SOunds to me as if it would be pure magic outdoors in the forests. Ilove the sound of dark synths echoing through the trees! The theme continues and a stretchy synth brings more It, and another 6/8 segment. A short break full of synths and then we go back into the cave, this time to Destroy Pennywise the Clown!! We're not afraid!!!

Track 6 Kindzadza vs. SofiaX-For the Princess Starts out with a creepy dwarf saying something about the princess. The bassline through this song is more repetitive than their previous song, the synths are more cybernetic than squishy this time. Of course theres squishing going on too. Atmospheric and creepy like a good dark song ought to be. Bassline key changes towards the middle are not bad, but nothing special IMO. The bass gets nice towards the end when it does the whole bend-the-universe thing. A good track but in a compo like this good isnt good enough to shine...

Track 7Furious-Run Forest! Fight club samples, a tried and true russian bassline, quacking synths, percussion like drops of water, but for some reason I cant get into this track. It almost seems as if it was made to fit the samples. Which I believe have mostly been used before. Not a bad song but see above...

Track 8 Candy Power-Micro Cosmos "We will know, that we chose to go crazy. Whereas, everyone else is just crazy." Candy Power is credited as Roman-DOminator (which I can only assume is the same Dominator on Deja Vu, I really enjoy the album Paranormal Connection) and Kat-Equilibrium. I love the opener sample, the bassline is very Dominator-esque, again like its bubbling out of something, a swamp or melted permafrost. The synths swirl around similar in a way to Derango, with a shuffling hat line. Would work well alongside forest trance, indeed is almost forest trance itself, if it wasnt so dark. VEry nice tune, on par with Para Halu's track, not as good as track 2.

Track 9 Innersound-Meditate Tomorrow Scrunching squishing and a rumbling bass bring this one on. A twickery thing bouncing across the dimensions comes in, accenting the rhythm nicely. Distorted sawing synth lead making brain cells divide as well as die off, a lot of noises that werent apparent the first few times I gave this a listen. 2/3 through, it sounds like we're having a tooth drilled by a mad surgeon with a pet rhesus monkey screeching on his shoulder. That tooth is so stubborn though it takes a bit more muscle to get it all out... And once that old rotten tooth is out, oh what a relief!! We feel much better now. A great tune to end a comp with, no outro, just full power right to the end!

9.8/10 Some of the tunes didnt really reach out and grab me like others did, although compared to many Ive heard this is a wonderful collection of songs. This is the style for anyone interested in pure, fast hard unrelenting, though not too scary dark psytrance. Very cerebral at times, very atmospheric, creating a mental image not unlike the cover art. My favorite song by far and away is track 2, sometimes I put it on repeat and throb my way to the caves... A welcome addition to my collection, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hard/Russian style psy.

Favorites 2(!!!), 4, 5, 8, 9

dig it, cats

this is one of the few CD's i lost of off my radar and i regret it a bit, seems there was a couple of gems :)

Hasta Las Patillas (for those non-spanish speakers), Patillas means sideburns... so, when someone says <estoy hasta las patillas> he usually touches them with the expression "i'm up to here with you" in an annoyed look... - hope that was useful for somebody -

• 6 months later...

Track 8 Candy Power-Micro Cosmos  "We will know, that we chose to go crazy.  Whereas, everyone else  is just crazy."

511563[/snapback]

love that quote

And one day the Baal Shem Tov came into the kings house and he says:

King? All the wheat has been blighted, all the grain they were going to be

bringing in this year has been infected with a fungus that turns people crazy

when they eat it!

And the king says: Thats terrible, thats terrible. If im going to be the king and

know how these people in my provence are feeling - shouldn't I go crazy with

them? But you and I will make a mark on eachothers foreheads, so when we see

eachother later, we will know, that we chose to go crazy. Whereas, everybody else

is just crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IeP2yEmjTg...related&search=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal_Shem_Tov

• 2 months later...

thanks for the info on that sample!

Hasidic mysticism, strange noises, Candy Power have found a nice niche in my heart!

Discovalley has a new release with another Candy Power track, dont know about an album though. Id love to hear it! Dominator's album is a good one as well, listening to it, then Candy Power, you really hear the Dominator influence. crazy stuff.