Vocals/Lyrics BAD

faze

I can't really say why, but when listening to Psy, ProgPsy, or Ambient stuff I get really annoyed when there are actual lyrics. Samples and short vocal clips, I dig.

I start getting into the tune, then all of a sudden some bimbo starts singing. It just doesn't seem right for this genre. I do enjoy my share of lyrics in other genres.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any good examples right now, but I see/hear it more as a negative than a good thing. Am I weird? (asking in this regard only, I know I am weird in other cases too) :blink:

f

There were some horrible cheesy lyrics in Bamboo Forest - Revival.

In the new western rebel alliance album there are lots of lyrics and while they are okay, I'd rather not have them. This is not a singing genre, I agree but occassionally some decent lyrics surprise you.

lyrics (or well, human voice) can be very good if properly used!

singing can create great melodic structures that would be impossible to recreate with machines.

just check out "zu fuss" by extrawelt. they've hazed the human voice so much that you can only hear the melody the voice creates.

another good example of successful use of vocals is james holden's "nothing".

:)

I used to very much dislike singing too...

but now I think it depends a lot..

examples of good singing imo..

in chill:

J.viewz - your country

J.viewz - room for me, room for sweets

Ott - Smoked Glass and Chrome (can that be considered?)

in upbeat:

Antix - hiding place

Beckers - Switch

examples of bad singing:

too many to list :D

More often than not, vocals are a deterrant... sometimes they work but it's quite rare. In any case, they tend to reduce the 'lifetime' of a track, for lyrics are a much more overt method of instilling distinction in a piece, and consequently, the allure wears off that much quicker.

Before I say this, I have never heard decent vocals on a Psy track, not having heard many with vocals to begin with. I don't mind some chanting, but I feel lyrics tend to morph the track to follow it, just cheesfying the tune.

Lyrics can be good in a Psy track though if it were sparse, not really focused, but more tied into the song as just a layer. It would be pretty neat if there were processed vocals, similar to alot of Industrial music, but less aggro-abrasive and more psychedelic-organic. If this were tied in just not as a main element vocal, but more thought as a long flowing lyrical sample, I am sure something innovative could pop-out.

It really depends. Vocals in psy? No. Vocals in electronica? Only if it's sliced and vocoded - one of my favorite things ever. Vocals in rock? Sure.

I think, unlike most people it seems, we like to depend on the music itself for its character, rather than on someone singing to supply it.

Vocal samples can be allright but as someone said above, like singing the can quickly get tiresome. I like vocals in tracks that I can't understand. ie singing in languages I don't speak (many!) and vocals that don't say anything are great. The human voice can be used well as in instrument but when I understand the words it can become annoying very quickly.

Guest Cosmogenesis

Personnality, I hate the vocal or chant lyrics of "Seratonine sunrise" & "The first day (Horizon)" from Man With no Name's "Earth Moving the Sun". I would have prefered the music only without the vocals.

But, I have heard recently on a site "Something Somewhere" from Astralasia, and the vocals are perfectly arranged with the trance sounds. Without the vocals, I think this album would have been poor & without originalities.

So, I can't have a definitive opinion for the lyrics. B)

I can't really say why, but when listening to Psy, ProgPsy, or Ambient stuff I get really annoyed when there are actual lyrics. Samples and short vocal clips, I dig.

I start getting into the tune, then all of a sudden some bimbo starts singing. It just doesn't seem right for this genre. I do enjoy my share of lyrics in other genres.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any good examples right now, but I see/hear it more as a negative than a good thing. Am I weird? (asking in this regard only, I know I am weird in other cases too)  :blink:

f

508360[/snapback]

you are weird dude, but thats ok, i dont like vocals/lyrics either :)!

switch - good lyrics?

:blink:

508424[/snapback]

nope, I dont mean they are good lyrics ´per se´.. but they work quite good in that track, giving that kinda dirty electro underworld feeling... it´s ´catchy´.. :)

as for trying to offend me for listening to house.. thats very silly... as if trance was a better genre than any other... of course there is ridiculously bad house music, just as there is ridiculously bad trance music... not to mention that the borders are not at all fixed.. what I like of house is not the ´stereotypical´ one.. its more like prog house, that blends in with trance a lot, or electro-house, which is very cool stuff too (and both are very often played in outdoor trance parties, exactly because of that.. the prog crowd enjoys it a lot, and its not so far away.. its just a different attitude towards music)...

plus, traveller... yuo think that haldolium cd you so often talk about.. you think thats pure trance? yeah right... it got a lot of house there too ;)

Hey I'm not denying.. I enjoy some prog/tech house a lot :)

509112[/snapback]

I know you little rhino :D

i'm def not much of a fan of lyrics. i don't really care what a song's message is language wise. i don't mind vocals used as an instrument though. Smoked Glass and Chrome, as you mentioned sherlock, is a beautiful example of this.

i quite like yahels ode to jizz!

and IM's becoming insane!! its ciller!

508429[/snapback]

Please tell me your joking. Infected has gone off the deep end. Their all about mainstream.

Lyrics generally add cheese to electronic music.