CDJ advice

So Ive been looking at these cd players, from a company called Ion. They only sell them as a package with a crappy mixer without channel EQ's, but thats ok, what I really want to know is, would I be better off saving for some better cd players? I have no experience as a DJ, except for messing around making mixes to listen to in the car or at work with a program called Atomix. I just want a beginner setup to learn to beatmatch with. Has anyone heard any horror stories about Ion?

Ion's cdj setup

Thanks a lot!

So Ive been looking at these cd players, from a company called Ion.  They only sell them as a package with a crappy mixer without channel EQ's, but thats ok, what I really want to know is, would I be better off saving for some better cd players?  I have no experience as a DJ, except for messing around making mixes to listen to in the car or at work with a program called Atomix.  I just want a beginner setup to learn to beatmatch with.  Has anyone heard any horror stories about Ion?

Ion's cdj setup

Thanks a lot!

506733[/snapback]

I bought some DJ equipment a few years back and have used them seldomly, but I live in constant fear that my CD would skip during a gig. It's intuitive, I guess. I mean, youv'e probably played CDs on all sorts of CD players; some you trust, some you don't. You generally get what you pay for.

So Ive been looking at these cd players, from a company called Ion.  They only sell them as a package with a crappy mixer without channel EQ's, but thats ok, what I really want to know is, would I be better off saving for some better cd players?  I have no experience as a DJ, except for messing around making mixes to listen to in the car or at work with a program called Atomix.  I just want a beginner setup to learn to beatmatch with.  Has anyone heard any horror stories about Ion?

Ion's cdj setup

Thanks a lot!

506733[/snapback]

I just bought a numark fusion 111 package for 299.99 with case and headphones. It has the same stuff that ION package has there but numark is known as a better brand than ION. I have also seen a couple of Gemini packages for that price with headphones and case as well, you should check those out. But remember, the best investment would be getting Pioneer, they cost much more but will last way longer and dont skip, these cdj package skip a lot and gets pretty annoying even if your mixing at home.

But remember, the best investment would be getting Pioneer, they cost much more but will last way longer and dont skip, these cdj package skip a lot and gets pretty annoying even if your mixing at home.

508278[/snapback]

From my personal experience and that of friend dj's I would say you skip cheaper ones and go for the Pionneer CDJ-100's. I was in your position some years ago and although I originally thought buying some cheaper ones, I have never regreted buying the latter. Played with mine in clubs, open air seaside parties and they still work pefect. Also they're very good for beatmatching practice. And last but not least when you're called to play somewhere they're the ones you usually play with, at least in small venues or private parties. So if you are seriously into it I would definetely suggest you go for them. After all they're not that expensive for what they offer.

From my personal experience and that of friend dj's I would say you skip cheaper ones and go for the Pionneer CDJ-100's. I was in your position some years ago and although I originally thought buying some cheaper ones, I have never regreted buying the latter. Played with mine in clubs, open air seaside parties and they still work pefect. Also they're very good for beatmatching practice. And last but not least when you're called to play somewhere they're the ones you usually play with, at least in small venues or private parties. So if you are seriously into it I would definetely suggest you go for them. After all they're not that expensive for what they offer.

508370[/snapback]

I just got a Pioneer 200, its just awesome, a little bit better than the 100. It costs the same as a ION or Numark package, but 12000000000 times better and worth it than any numark or ion package.

hey alleycat,

in my opinion its better to save up for a pair of pioneer cdj 100's or better (200's or 1000's) and a reasonably good mixer than to spend your money on cheap stuff..

cdj 100's most likely will not annoy you. While other cheaper players probably will after a short time (jogwheel too small; pitch not stable; little display; etc).

on a party you ll most likely play on cdj 100's or better so its best to practice on those..

good luck on your quest B)

and dont hesitate to ask questions

for sure, Im definitely going to wait for Pioneer's. I want something that will last a while, and something I can mess around with, not just a plain cd player. The going price on cdj100's is btwn 300 & 500 US$, not that much more expensive than a cheap setup. Ive found mixers for less than 100 US, which brings up another question, What should I look for in a mixer?

for sure, Im definitely going to wait for Pioneer's.  I want something that will last a while, and something I can mess around with, not just a plain cd player.  The going price on cdj100's is btwn 300 & 500 US$, not that much more expensive than a cheap setup.  Ive found mixers for less than 100 US, which brings up another question, What should I look for in a mixer?

512589[/snapback]

See if they're still doing the Pioneer DJ Box 1 deal where you get two CDJ-100s and a DJM-300 for a good price. That's what I did. If I remember it was around $800 for the whole shebang, whereas separately they'd be more expensive. Of course it's all pretty basic stuff, but at least it's solid. Some stores will let you finance it, too, which might be helpful if you don't have it all in cash.

See if they're still doing the Pioneer DJ Box 1 deal where you get two CDJ-100s and a DJM-300 for a good price. That's what I did. If I remember it was around $800 for the whole shebang, whereas separately they'd be more expensive. Of course it's all pretty basic stuff, but at least it's solid. Some stores will let you finance it, too, which might be helpful if you don't have it all in cash.

512678[/snapback]

Check EBAY asap, they have all kinds of deals at the lowest prices ever.