Vibrasphere - Archipelago

pr0fane

Posted Image

Artist: Vibrasphere

Title: Archipelago

Label: MPDQX/Digital Structures

Format: CD (Jewelcase with 6-page inlay)

Released: April, 2006

Review:

After 3 years of waiting since their last album "Lime Structure", the Swedish duo Vibraspheres 3rd full-length album "Archipelago" is finally on the market. For me, the timing couldn't be better - after experiencing their, despite some technical difficulties, amazing liveset in the morning at my last day at the Soulclipse in Turkey, the album was available on Psyshop when I got home, and I ordered the album immediately. Vibrasphere is, to me, one of the best acts around, and alongside acts like Son Kite, Ticon and Atmos they are the forerunners of the Scandinavian progressive sound, so my expectations for the album where - to say the least - huge.

01. Tierra Azul

The album starts out slow with Tierra Azul - a dubby chillout tune in the classic Vibrasphere vein with a beautiful piano, acoustic guitars and generally a smooth, organic feel. A wonderful album-opener - not too hasty unlike too many albums these days, and fans of "Manzanilla" will most likely love this lovely, optimistic opening tune.

02. Sweet September [135 BPM]

After a stunningly beautiful intro with sweet female choir-pads, "Sweet September" slowly but steadily gets the party started. The first trance tune on the album, is laidback and beautiful, and the atmosphere is uplifting but still with incredible depth. The melodies are gentle and soothing, and the groove is really attractive. A very enjoyable track that sets the standard for the following tracks.

03. Reservoir [136 BPM]

Next up is "Reservoir", which was recently remixed by Antix on the great "Landmark" single. The track starts with the sound of rain pouring down, and generally the atmosphere is quite suitable for rainy days - melodic and shifting back and forth between the melancholic and the positively uplifting. Another track with exceptional high sound quality, although one of the more anonymous on the album.

04. Landmark [138 BPM]

"Landmark", the title-track for the album-teaser cd-single, kicks the tempo up a notch and takes the album to the next level. It is perhaps one of the strongest and most dance floor oriented tracks Vibrasphere have ever created, and it's simply an extraordinary listen - melodic, epic and downright outstanding. Definitely an anthem-tune for the upcoming summer festivals.

05. Seven Days To Daylight [140 BPM]

As if "Landmark" wasn't melodic enough, the Vibrasphere guys take the album one step further with "Seven Days To Daylight". The melodies are deep and emotional, but still amazingly simple, naïve and sounds like they are clearly inspired by Jean Michel Jarre. Psytrance purists may find this too cheesy, but to me this is excellent optimistic trance, and in my opinion one of the best tunes released so far this year. Superb.

06. Morning Breeze [138 BPM]

The groove in "Morning Breeze" maintains the intensity from the previous 2 tracks, although with a slightly more techy edge. Generally the track is also a bit more subtle - the melodies aren't as in-your-face and instantly likeable as in the previous 2 tracks, but overall this is yet another great track. Morning goodies.

07. Sudden Comfort [135 BPM]

The last dancefloor track, "Sudden Comfort", move the album into a lower, more laidback gear. The "It's gonna be alright" male vocal-sample is gentle and soothing, and the track generally sounds like it's the oldest of the dancefloor tracks on the album - it's definitely the closest to the sound on "Lime Structure". This is still a very fine track though, and a wonderful ending for the dancefloor section on the album.

08. Baltic Resonance [126 BPM]

"Baltic Resonance" is, to my knowledge, Vibraspheres first charter into breaks-territory, and the result is pretty good. This is downbeat breaks for the chillout with Vibrasphere-trademark pads and huge atmospheric effects - an interesting track, although I don't consider it among their very best downbeat productions.

09. Late Winter Storms

Last but not least is another chillout track, "Late Winter Storms". Like the title suggest, the mood is rather cold, and this is the most relaxed track on the album, but in my opinion also the weakest. It is by no means bad, but by no means does it leave a big impression as the rest of the album either - a fairly good chillout tune that doesn't really stand out, but a quite pleasant ending for the album.

Bottom line:

Like expected, this is another wonderful album from Digital Structures and Vibrasphere. Psychedelic trance purists should probably stay clear of the album, as this is some of the cleanest, smoothest and well-produced morning trance on the market today, but I personally love the sound. It's deep, engaging and very atmospheric, embellished by some splendid, highly uplifting larger-than-life melodies, and all dancefloor tracks are highlights in their own right. A must-have for morning DJ's and listeners alike, and it is definitely up there with "Lime Structure" - although faster and more straight-to-the-point.

I consider this the cream of the crop of Scandinavian trance 2006, and it's definitely one of the essential releases this year.

Favourites:

1, 2 (!), 3, 4(!!), 5 (!!!), 6 (!), 7

Verdict:

9,5/10

Links:

MPDQX/Digital Structures: http://www.mpdqx.com/ds

Vibrasphere: http://www.vibrasphere.com

• 1 month later...

A competent album rather than an amazing one. A reliably decent release from the Vibrasphere boys, but not terribly enticing.

I desperately wanted to love Archipelago but I feel it simply lacks inspiration.

The middle section of the CD has the strongest tracks (4-6). The opening track is also nice. The rest is really so-so.

I shall give this CD a miss and would strongly advise a close listen before purchase (even though it is....Vibrasphere).

Pedro

• 2 weeks later...

Artist: Vibrasphere

Album: Archipelago

Label: Digital Structures

WEB: http://mpdqx.com/ds & http://www.vibrasphere.com

CAT: DIGCD018

SE.net: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/252/2/

01 - Tierra Azul [144]

02 - Sweet September [135]

03 - Reservoir [136]

04 - Landmark [138]

05 - Seven Days to Daylight [140]

06 - Morning Breeze [138]

07 - Sudden Comfort [135]

08 - Baltic Resonance [126]

09 - Late Winter Storms [140]

It was one random weekend of sporadic peregrination to the infamous Camden Town in London that I decided to stop by Mecca –yes, I’m talking about Psychedelic Dream Temple- to refuel my ever growing stack of psy. From my visit, I somehow ended talking home Lime Structure from some Vibrasphere guy. The CD gathered dust for a few days as I devoured new full on tunes that over the last couple of years had phased out my beloved Platipus. The following Monday armed with new batteries for the Discman, I decided to bring it along. Now, some people will argue it was the foggy head (I blaming my headphones) but music had never sounded more appropriate for a sunny day, which I believe was summer but only the wind knows for sure now. As time passed endless week-ender sessions turned into a trend and Vibrasphere got played until the scratches removed all Structure from the plastic, sparing only the Lime bit.

Next year rolls around and Vibrasphere returned to my collection with an upgrade in speed, pulling their tracks to the average 140’s with the effects-prone material increased a few notches in Echo which was released in 2000. It went down well enough, taking a more strident approach to beat manufacturing. From then on, I couldn’t help wandering how the especially thunky tracks fought to keep their undeniable melodic strand on a leash. It was still forward thinking material with impressive chilled tracks, but I still secretly yearned for a Lime Structure II on a personal basis. That’s where Archipelago the long awaited third album from Rickard and Robert comes in, filling the gap for the summer soundtrack of 2006.

( 1 ) As it is tradition now, Tierra Azul starts warming up things with down-tempo in the order of bare piano lines, electric dub bass by Carlos Rada and the most compelling acoustic guitar ensemble in this side of our musical world. I think their aptitude as chill producers with a dub spice easily stands the test of time, setting the benchmark and this the proof. *

( 2 ) Sweet September tenderly gashes silence with a triumphant return to cuddly lines and warm, spacious beats that invite motion to action but remain equally pleasant if your affair extends to sofa surfing. The rhythmic interaction and articulate musical inclinations work loverly, even if the theme feels like revision of old-school epic trance for the progressive circles. I can slide through the content with a faint smile in reminder of past times.

( 3 ) Reservoir scintillates sparkles of the Lime Structure days at its best and the mastering by Son Kite allows the paced groove to permeate warmly through the undertones with that too-cool-for-school attitude, and they know it. *

( 4 ) Landmark allows two minutes of beat-less transition to start things smoothly in a crescendo of rhythmic artifacts, with the sole purpose of building an intricate master groove. The main lead comes in later traversing thorough the breaks only to keep the tune flowing. *

( 5 ) Seven Days to Daylight is presumably the ‘night’ time flicker with the right amount of meditative sustenance good hypnotic trance carries inherently, supplementing the strong melodic backbone of piano progressions & the heart-aching catchy lines you could swear have been stashed in your head all along. Try it with your copy of Lost Entertainment, it might render something fruitful. *

( 6 ) Morning Breeze assumes you been havin’ it ALL night long in a non-stop debauchery of saucy, gritty beats and as consequence a strong tribal-esque rhythm is vital… if you intend on keeping your toes moving, pretending that uncoordinated jumble of arms and legs is what people normally refer to as ‘dancing’. The track infects even the weariest of energizer bunnies, sliding as minimal material before the syrupy arpeggio closes with a golden lock. *

( 7 ) Sudden Comfort brings things back to that reserved coolness, chemically implanting serotonin in the form of fractured pulsations coming from every angle, reinforcing the situation with a soothing voice: “It’s gonna be alright.” So let it be then. I thoroughly enjoy the beginning, but I’m not mystified by the content all the way through.

( 8 ) Baltic Resonance is the crossover track, hinting the upbeat business is coming to an end and the idea is to connect both ends before the chill out takes over. For that purpose the track is ideal, offering new concepts previously unheard by this duo, but I jdon’t know if it's meant to be main room material, or something for the chill out corner. It doesn’t seem to fit in either one innately, but is probably more appropriate for waning down with convoluted breaks. Good for originality, a little challenging for the live entertainers.

( 9 ) Late Winter Storms tricks the senses by walking right into the crunchiest snow slide begging for the headphone treatment. This time the dub slices have been disguised better in the electronic influences and I don’t need to tell you how well it works. It took a couple of listens to realize not all chill-out from these two needs to sound like “All Green Seasons” which remained in my player for longer than I care to remember, the surprise? This one might just be better in the end. *

By now, chances are you probably heard Archipelago and encountered a small digression in their soothing beats and classy rhythms. The die-hard fans of Echo will digress, since all attempts at taking the music into harsher realms have been abandoned for a revival of their classic 130’s sound with amazing panache, bound to gain further converts in this trance sphere. It is truly a pleasure having Vibrasphere on our side of the musical spectrum whichever it may be.

Where to Buy

> Saiko Sounds

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5726

> Digital Structures Shop

http://www.musicdock.net/shop/show.do?id=148

> Psyshop

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dig/dig1cd018.html

Once more Vibrasphere proved to us how big artists they are!!!Amazing album, great quality, beautiful vibe & profesional work!These guys are also very good producers in ambient - chill music, some great tunes in that disc!Definitely one of the best albums in 2006!!! Highly Recommended (if u dont have it yet)!

A competent album rather than an amazing one. A reliably decent release from the Vibrasphere boys, but not terribly enticing.

I desperately wanted to love Archipelago but I feel it simply lacks inspiration.

The middle section of the CD has the strongest tracks (4-6). The opening track is also nice. The rest is really so-so.

I shall give this CD a miss and would strongly advise a close listen before purchase (even though it is....Vibrasphere).

Pedro

538757[/snapback]

I'm definitely with pedro on this one. It's definitely Vibrasphere, but there's little progress here, if any.

• 1 month later...

This is a very good album indeed but like many other people also said this isnt different than the rest of the Vibrasphere material.

YES the recipe is very good BUT you cant eat spaghetti with meat balls every day can you?

My favorite tunes are Sweet September,Sudden Comfort,Late Winter Storms and Tierra Azul in this order of preference i guess.

I also enjoyed Morning Breeze and Seven Days To Daylight and depending the mood i might like Landmark.

The weakest tunes for me where Reservoir and Baltic Resonance.

I will rate this 8/10 because Vibrasphere are still one of my favorite projects out there and their production quality is of high standards but they got to advance a little bit in the near future if they want to remain on top.

P.S The cover picture is great.

This is a very good album indeed but like many other people also said this isnt different than the rest of the Vibrasphere material.

YES the recipe is very good BUT you cant eat spaghetti with meat balls every day can you?

I dunno....I really do listen to this cd every day.... :huh: It's *that* good. :)

I love this album. its one of my favourites of the year. yes the same kind of style but a bit more upbeat than the last one and thats suits me down to the ground. i havent been listening to it everyday but only cos i dont wanna spoil it for myself by over listening

:D

For some reason I've never been able to commit myself fully to the Vibrasphere sound. I mean, obviously, these guys know what they're doing and everything is put together effortlessly. I just like a little more craziness in my music.

Likers of Lime Structure will not be disappointed, though. As with LS, Vibrasphere is still churning together some deep progressive trance tracks with ventures into housey territories. Also Vibrasphere sticks to making long tracks. Except for two tracks all are clocking in at 8:30 mins+, which is a plus in my book. Vibrasphere wants to put you on a voyage with every track. All very nice. If only the destination was a little more crazy and unpredictable, I could fall head over heels.

Even so, fans of Vibrasphere ought to have their expectations safely met here. Archipelago oozes the Vibrasphere touch, and even if I'm not their biggest fan, most of the way I am still pleasently entertained. Besides, with opening track Tierra Azul almost matching Manzanilla in terms of romancing, that alone should make this album a safe purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is your first Vibrasphere album you've probably fallen in love by now. If you on the other hand have followed their development from the first singles and through their previous two albums you probably will not discover any surprises in Archipelago. The sound quality has improved and the percussion is a little bit snappier. As far as the tunes are conserned, you get the great downtempo tunes and the solid uptempos.

This is indeed an above average album, but as with most artists that focus on improving their sound while sticking to an obviously great and tried formula there's always the chance that the listener might feel satisfied with previous excursions, at least that's where I'm at.

Looking beyond my own preferences I think this album might get some well deserved attention beyond the borders of progressive psytrance. Such an development might push the Vibrasphere sound towards new areas. They've undoubtly mastered their sound technique, and now it's about time new territories be explored.