is there any Shuffle psytrance?

Verb

Hi, this is like the second attempt, i was trying to start this thread a week ago, but for some reason, something got screwed up :)

Im kindah snowed in on shufflethings nowdays.

listening alot to Trentemöller and various shuffle-techno minimalist stuff. B)

and i've personaly made a couple of shuffly psytrance track lately.

but im wondering if there's any of this released?

XV Kilist - Xv Kilist album is kindah shuffly a track or two.

but other than that i can't think of any that utilizes this wonderful instant-groove maker thing :)

especially not any new stuff i've come across... ;)

Do you know of any shuffle psytrance?

Are you talking about what psytrance people (erroneously, right) call "3/4 time" or "staggerred beat"? Dark Soho's Aggressive, Growling Mad Synchro's Bandicoot on the Run, and parts of that great new tune La Cosa Nostra - is this what you mean?

i don't really know what staggered beat means either

i'll try to illustrate like this instead

not shuffle:

D= bassdrum

B=bass

|= uh, well, nothing really. just to mark out hehe ;)

1---2---3---4---1....

D---|---B---B---D---|---B---B---D---|---B---B---D....

while Shuffle is sorta like...

1----2--3----4--1....

D----|--B----B--D----|--B----B--D----|--B----B--D....

You may not notice at first, but Procs has quite a bit of shuffle trickery going on. I'm pretty sure it comes and goes in some tracks, just to fuck with the listener =)

I personally prefer my trance straight though.

Do you know of any shuffle psytrance?

504775[/snapback]

Well i do beleive another word for what you are looking for is SWING,

and indeed it is quite rare in psytrance.

It's very easy to sound ridiculous while using swing in high Bpm's,thus most shuffle and swing tracks would be found in Progressive trance which is slower.

Check out all of REEFER DECREE/ORYX's works.

LOOPUS IN FABULA also swings alot.

Latest example i could think of, would be the XVKILLIST remix to the ANTIX & BITMONX track,TANE (released not long ago on AMARASYA 2 from Blue tunes).

Are you talking about what psytrance people (erroneously, right) call "3/4 time" or "staggerred beat"?

504789[/snapback]

There is nothing erroneous about 3/4 time, it is the second most common time signature after 4/4 in Western music. You can use tricky math and call it different things (6/8 for example) but its the same thing. Anyways, technically shuffle and/or swing are different. They are fairly common in jazz and such, but pretty damn uncommon in trance.

Shuffle and triplets are not the same, but there are a lot of songs using triplets. For example "Jiggle of the Sphinx" by Hallucinogen, "On the Road" by Total Eclipse and the list goes on. Shuffle is more uncommon, but as Ukiro said, i think procs uses it much.

There is nothing erroneous about 3/4 time, it is the second most common time signature after 4/4 in Western music.

505084[/snapback]

I think what Basilisk ment is that people say (erroneously) 3/4 when they actually mean Triplets in 4/4.

In addition to the others mentioned already, Tandu have a few shuffle tunes on Alien Pump (3 pieces i think), and On The Road from Total Eclipse's Update Files swings also. And Etnoscope - Sneaky Drums which is my personal favourite shuffle tune.

Wonderful! thanks! :)

Procs uses it yeah. just never occured to me to look in my own backyard :D

i've come to use shuffle in basicaly every track i've made in a while now, and it gets difficult if you go to fast. but at 130-137, a bit of shuffle is Grrreat i think.

im problely going to fuck around some more with it though, having a track swtich between shuffle and straight.

Wonderful! thanks! :)

Procs uses it yeah. just never occured to me to look in my own backyard :D

i've come to use shuffle in basicaly every track i've made in a while now, and it gets difficult if you go to fast. but at 130-137, a bit of shuffle is Grrreat i think.

im problely going to fuck around some more with it though, having a track swtich between shuffle and straight.

505689[/snapback]

Do you mean shuffle as in:

DOOF - tick - tick- DOOF - tick - tick

i.e. slow 3/4

Or do you mean as in:

Tshik - aTshik - aTshik

i.e. REAL shuffle?

I think i make it quite clear above :)

just scroll up ;)

EDIT: or look here:

i don't really know what staggered beat means either

i'll try to illustrate like this instead

not shuffle:

D= bassdrum

B=bass

|= uh, well, nothing really. just to mark out hehe wink.gif

1---2---3---4---1....

D---|---B---B---D---|---B---B---D---|---B---B---D....

while Shuffle is sorta like...

1----2--3----4--1....

D----|--B----B--D----|--B----B--D----|--B----B--D....

i won't use any "words" like 3/5 or "Triplets" or stutter or anythign coz it just confuses everything up since apparently there are tons of definitions.

and arguing which one is right is just blaargh ;)

although, does anyone know the correct one? and can back it up Logicaly?

Shuffle is generally what you call it when you shift the second and fourth 16th note of each quarter bar forward somewhat. Forward as in to the right in the sequencer, i.e. delaying them somewhat. This usually creates a sense of "groove" or "swing", but IMHO detracts from the potential hypnotic effect of the music. As stated previously, I normally like my trance "straight".

Here are some audio examples I just made that might make it easier to see (or hear) the differences

Straight normal 4/4

http://www.par-2.com/choons/timesig/straight%20fourfour.mp3

Swing 4/4

http://www.par-2.com/choons/timesig/Swing%20fourfour.mp3

Triplet 4/4

http://www.par-2.com/choons/timesig/tripletfourfour.mp3

Straight 3/4

http://www.par-2.com/choons/timesig/straightthreefour.mp3

This track is tripulets, not shuffle/swing.

505885[/snapback]

I know, but i wasn't sure which one of them he was looking for.

But now it's pretty clear he's looking for shuffle and not triplets so... :(

but IMHO detracts from the potential hypnotic effect of the music.

Yeah i guess i could second that in a sense. it totaly depends on what type of effect you want from music.

I've made so much hypnotic effect-music stuff lately, where i just get lost making it and listening to it, that i've come to upriciate the value of groove more. :) Contrasts and opposits rock.

A couple of tracks on We Are Free have a very light shuffle - never more than 10%. Right now I can't remember exactly which ones though - "Bubbles of Nothing" and "The Unknowns", I think, but there might well be others.