Starcade - Generationz Out

Otto Matta

Starcade - Generationz Out (128kbps MP3, 5.86mb, via YouSendIt)

New track. Once again, it's laid back, not trance. Give it a listen if you have the time, and if you have even more time, please leave a comment, good or bad.

Primary influences:

Isan

Plaid

Solvent

Low

Abba (yeah, I said it)

Enjoy. :D

Very nice track. Lazy melodies all over :)

That vibrato effect is excellent. Fantastic idea ;)

I like Electric Dayz more but it's because of my taste. Only thing i missed here is a more distinctive bass (stronger or louder) for a massive feeling.

You must be very otpimistic person :D Keep making music. I like your style.

I think this sounds quite a lot better than the first track (production, sounds, beats, fx etc). And again... really good work with melodies. There's one synth sound I don't like too much (the one that starts at 1:14)... otherwise great track!! Keep em coming! :)

The track sounds a bit like Boards Of Canada imo. B)

Very nice track. Lazy melodies all over :)

That vibrato effect is excellent. Fantastic idea ;)

I like Electric Dayz more but it's because of my taste. Only thing i missed here is a more distinctive bass (stronger or louder) for a massive feeling.

You must be very otpimistic person :D Keep making music. I like your style.

502625[/snapback]

Thanks, man. I thought the bass was large enough already, but I'll keep that in mind. Also, I'm finding it really difficult to get a strong bass and a punchy bass drum at the same time. I've tried to incorporate some standard EQ tricks, but that only goes so far. Any tips?

And I'm not entirely optimistic, but music is a way for me to not only be optimistic and joyful but to let the more hidden parts of my psyche out, which I guess is the point of creativity, isn't it?

Hey, you've got some nice melodies going here. I think the track could do with some pads to fill it up a bit though. Now it sounds a bit too dry for my taste. Have to agree with mind breeder about the vibrato. Really nice touch.

502663[/snapback]

I've always tried very hard to keep my music as simplified and stylized as possible. This is rather difficult because there's a fine line between simple and boring. I try to put "god into the details" like Mies van der Rohe, but I'm not quite there yet, and that's something I hope I'll get better at when I get more accustomed to Reason.

I think this sounds quite a lot better than the first track (production, sounds, beats, fx etc). And again... really good work with melodies. There's one synth sound I don't like too much (the one that starts at 1:14)... otherwise great track!! Keep em coming!  :) 

The track sounds a bit like Boards Of Canada imo.  B)

502687[/snapback]

Thanks, man. Yeah, I worked a lot more on the production aspects with this one. Amazing how a track can open up if you know some of the tricks. Sorry about that one sound you don't like. That's from the synth-poppers like Solvent, which I enjoy.

All roads, for better or worse, seem to lead back to Boards of Canada. :)

Anyway, thanks again, guys, for your encouraging comments. I'm enjoying myself a lot, and will continue to musicate!

I'm a goa-head (as you probably know) but still feel this track makes for enjoyable listening. It's very, very reminiscent of Commodore 64 music which I'm a huge fan of, particularly the work of Tim Follin and Chris Hulsbeck. It's amazing what those guys created using 8-bit computer technology.

Not sure if I like it as much or if it's as good as your last track but then they're quite different in the vibe they create so comparing them is difficult. I especially like the bell-like-sounding melody that start in at 3:39, really nice, dreamy, floaty sound.

Not bad, Otto. Not bad at all.

Thanks, Charlie. Yeah, I like the 8-bit sound, too, when done well. For instance, I really like the music by Mark Mothersbaugh, who if I'm not mistaken was a member of Devo or a similar synth pop band, on Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

By the way, I thought I might share the concept of this latest one, which may or may not mean anything to you. It's about a colonist crew onboard a ship on it's way to another star system. They're half-way there, and several generations of the crew have come and gone. The current generation's identity is somewhere between two worlds, two stars. All they know - their reality - is the blackness of space outside their windows, the simulated environment inside their ship, and what they've read in the history books.

Pretty geeky, eh? :D

its really good.. gotta listen to it again.. cant really make any criticisms..

Nicely mixed Otto. This was a lot of fun to listen to. Like i mentioned in your other tune i love building melodies and you accomplished that nicely. I only wish there were more pads, but that's my taste.

My favorite is the dreamy arpeggio sequence at the second part of the song when it builds back into the theme. It makes me happy :D

Good job man. I really can't wait to get some more of your tunes for my ipod.

heh, nice work, somehow it reminds of like listening to something from ocremix.org! which isn't a bad thing :) ... From start to 2"27' takes a bit of getting used to, but i Love the melody that kicks in at 2"27' and the tracks grows from there. Still needs something more but i'm not sure what. :blink: ... One more thing, it could do with a little bit more closure, as it finishes kind-of abruptly.

Nice work tho.