This stuff that isn't quite "dark"psy any more...

Basilisk

What's the deal? I'm hearing a lot of stuff that sounds like demented hard dance music... NU-NRG on ketamine basically. Revenge of teh rave?

Damage is a great example of this... comps like Basstardz, Electric Embryo (to an extent), etc...

When does this stuff get it's own little pet name? PSYRAVE?

damage has never been 'darkpsy', imo. before they broke up, i liked their sound better, but it always had that oldskool techno-rave sound, just not quite as bad as the recent forays.

but artists like Azax, Winter Demon, many SA artists, etc etc. have been making this rave shit for at least 1-2 years.. add Neuromotor to that list also. :(

add fungus funk to the list as well, his album is horrible...

Anyone heard LPS´new compilation called "Denial and Error"? That´s the best example for what you call Psyrave. I always liked the LPS releases but this one is a bit... cheesy imo. Hope they will return to their previous style, I just can´t handle this cheap wannabe dark rave stuff. I never thought I would one day say that about LPS, but this is almost as horrible as the Chemical Crew stuff. :ph34r:

There's indeed lots and lots of this music (way too much), but I don't think many people would actually call it darkpsy anyway, and I doubt the artists would either :P

What I don't like though is when they put tracks like these on otherwise decent dark albums. It totally ruins the atmosphere for me :(

oh FFS, a lot of post-1999 (mainly israeli) "psy" is more like some kind of Neo-Rave, ever since the "trance" or hypnotizing aspect of psytrance was dumped in favour of countless short breaks with wooshy sounds and inane samples we were essentially listening to a form of childish rave music.

Why else would terms like "blasting" and "killer/killargh" be deemed applicable to what once was essentially deep and trippy music?

I'm talking about stuff like Psysex, post BPempire Infected, 1200 mics, gms, you name it. It's all a kind of neo-rave IMHO.

Anyone heard LPS´new compilation called "Denial and Error"? That´s the best example for what you call Psyrave. I always liked the LPS releases but this one is a bit... cheesy imo. Hope they will return to their previous style, I just can´t handle this cheap wannabe dark rave stuff. I never thought I would one day say that about LPS, but this is almost as horrible as the Chemical Crew stuff.  :ph34r:

501057[/snapback]

LPS is the one exception for me... I love their demented take on things. Denial and Error is especially powerful, just loaded with insanely sick songs that are wry, humorous, and still have some depth.