Unknown, less famous Psy-trance artists.

Ormion

This topic is about artists, groups and projects that are less famous even unknown to most psy ppl, but somehow you like them. I guess it's a good idea to make a list of all them, cause after all Psy trance is not only Simon and Etnica, right?

I'll start with my fav less famous artists:

THE SHINING PATH

Real name Greg Oulds. I have two tracks by him, Exit The Vipers Pit ans Abraxis, both excellent!!! Trippy, hypnotic Goa, with a strange eastern feeling but not cheesy at all and very acid! Find them and listen to them!

OPTICA & OPTIC EYE

Both projects of Jake Stephenson (RIP) a guy also known as the most ''several projects'' producer check it out :blink:

Anyway his project Optic Eye (with Brian Trower) starts back in 1992(!) with great, great trance and ambient tracks. His other project Optica (again with Trower) is a dance project combination of weird acid Goa with some breakbeat. Nice!

MULTIPLEX

Group that released some tracks under the Psychic Deli label. Hard Goa, with interesting melodies and really powerful. Not outstanding but very good. Their track Audio Engine is stunning!

BLACK HOLE

Dance project of Swordfish (the man behind Astralasia). Great Goa with spacey atmospheres and a darker touch. I've heard once his album ''Time Stops Here'' in a friend's house and I was amazed. His track ''A Touch Of The Carpenters'' is an instant classic!

SOLAR PLEXUS

Nice Old-School Psy with a trance touch. All the tracks I have from this guy are very nice. Another artist that Hypnotic label ''destroy'' with its bad policy. (Psygone,Bypass Unit, Out Of Phase etc. amongst others)

THE SECRET

Maybe the first electronic music project of Dave Young (correct me if I'm wrong).

Optimistic trance with Goa elements. Their track ''Pagan Dance'' is classic IMO.

LUNAR ASYLUM

Awesome psychedelic trance. Crazy Goa with awesome melodies. I'm surprise that such a few ppl have mentioned this group.

ECT & Mass

Another two artists less famous. Psychotic, completelly crazy Psy trance (at least the two tracks I own). Damn weird! :blink:

DIABLO

Aka Avihen Livne (RIP). Famous as Cosma, less famous with his project. Very good Psy, different from most acts I've heard. His track ''Hop She Goes'' is amazing and damn scary!

PRODIGAL SUN

Another great group. Most known than the rest but still less famous. Acidic full on, different from any Full On act I've heard. Great!

LOS

Greek group of Greg Staikos No.1 Psy Greek DJ. Dark Psy with old school and full on elements. They released the album ''Predator'' back in 2000 in Eros and believe me if it had been released in a more known Psy label, we will all talk about it! Their ambient track ''Slime Into The Sound'' is still in my all time top 5.

IN TRANCE

Project of Guy Sebbag & Gal Carmy. I guess it's well known here but believe me almost unknown to most ppl. Nice old school Israeli trance.

And some other artists (LOA, Psycho Meditation, Domi Pastor, P.Cok,Todra, Clockwork, Vaporum, NAT and more).

Ok they're many more and I'll return with another post when I remember more.

Remember these artists/groups may be known to some of you (after all this is Psynews not Isratrance), but they are almost unknown to the masses, (and I don't mean the new kilargh masses).

Right down yours!

• Like 1

have heard only couple of stephensons tracks, they were pretty ok.

as for lunar asylum - they sound ok but lack something IMO, sound is too, euhm how to say - like too "homemade"? i mean it has something to do with mastering, eh? too flat imo.

• Like 1

have heard only couple of stephensons tracks, they were pretty ok.

as for lunar asylum - they sound ok but lack something IMO, sound is too, euhm how to say - like too "homemade"? i mean it has something to do with mastering, eh? too flat imo.

496489[/snapback]

Have you listened their track ''Reefer Madness''? It doesn't sound that homemade IMO.

C'mon write one yourself! :)

Have you listened their track ''Reefer Madness''? It doesn't sound that homemade IMO.

C'mon write one yourself!  :)

496495[/snapback]

im not talking that musically they are homemade, im talking about sound - its kinda flat, like not enough depth/mastering?

THE SHINING PATH 

Real name Greg Oulds. I have two tracks by him, Exit The Vipers Pit ans Abraxis, both excellent!!! Trippy, hypnotic Goa, with a strange eastern feeling but not cheesy at all and very acid! Find them and listen to them!

OPTICA & OPTIC EYE

Both projects of Jake Stephenson (RIP) a guy also known as the most ''several projects'' producer check it out  :blink:

Anyway his project Optic Eye (with Brian Trower) starts back in 1992(!) with great, great trance and ambient tracks. His other project Optica  (again with Trower) is a dance project combination of weird acid Goa with some breakbeat. Nice!

MULTIPLEX

Group that released some tracks under the Psychic Deli label. Hard Goa, with interesting melodies and really powerful. Not outstanding but very good. Their track Audio Engine is stunning!

SOLAR PLEXUS

Nice Old-School Psy with a trance touch. All the tracks I have from this guy are very nice. Another artist that Hypnotic label ''destroy'' with its bad policy. (Psygone,Bypass Unit, Out Of Phase etc. amongst others)

THE SECRET

Maybe the first electronic music project of Dave Young (correct me if I'm wrong).

Optimistic trance with Goa elements. Their track ''Pagan Dance'' is classic IMO.

LUNAR ASYLUM

Awesome psychedelic trance. Crazy Goa with awesome melodies. I'm surprise that such a few ppl have mentioned this group.

ECT & Mass

Another two artists less famous. Psychotic, completelly crazy Psy trance (at least the two tracks I own). Damn weird!  :blink:

IN TRANCE

Project of Guy Sebbag & Gal Carmy. I guess it's well known here but believe me almost unknown to most ppl. Nice old school Israeli trance.

And some other artists (LOA, Psycho Meditation, Domi Pastor, P.Cok,Todra, Clockwork, Vaporum, NAT and more).

496486[/snapback]

Ummm, yeah, I agree with many of them making very little music and then dissapearing or changed the style. I especially agree about MULTIPLEX that made pretty stunning goa trance songs : Audio Engine, Flotation, Twisted Tale...IN TRANCE that made one mellow goa trance album and then dissapeared. I agree about THE SECRET, it is really primal stuff...

I would also add TALKING SOULS, side project of Tim Schuldt that made only 3 tracks which is such shame, I find it as perfect music. There is also DODGY CONNECTION, amazing collaboration between Joti Sidhu and Tim Schuldt that I lack an album from !

THE SECRET

496486[/snapback]

I think you're getting Andy Young and Dave Bagg mixed up there! They used to live literally round the corner from me when OOOD was based in Oxford; after The Secret stopped doing quite so much Dave and I and our mate Si had a project called The Class A Team doing hard house for a little bit - never got anything released though. The Secret were always more on a hard dance tip than goa, although they did have quite a big crossover appeal - Gorgeous I think is my favourite track from them. I saw Andy at Glade last year, but I have no idea what he and Dave are doing these days.

Encens - Spiritual Transgression

Good track indeed, Maxx.

Zubzub makes some psytrance. It's the side project of Zia (don't remember his surname) who played bass in Ozric Tentacles.

I remember this guy called "captain unplugged" released a really cool 12" on koyote records before dissapearing completely...

same goes for a guy called "O*men" who released a 12"called "lion mosquito" on nephilim, which was very trippy IMHO.

and a final mention to "psychonaut" - although I never really dug his albums his track voodoo child on MASH records is very cool, with what sounds like disembodied alien howling voices and such...

that's just what comes to mind while reading this topic, and yeah, encens is pretty cool too - I still enjoy the space funk/vakealien 12"

Apart from the old 4-man era of Etnica / Pleiadians, my all-time favourite goa trance act is Underhead. They just released 7 tracks (well, 8 with the one released as EA 1729 in 1995) but they're all AWESOME!

Other obscure favourites:

Space Dimension (Also "Space Demon" and "Invaders")

Totally fucking awesome acid darkness

Section X

More hardtrance really, but still way trippier than most goa acts

Universal Island

Dark and hypnotic project on the POF label... "Dark Moon" is an all-time favourite

Deflo

Cool production and with a unique "riot" feel to it... punky!

Factor

Ololiuqui side project that released two very nice Tunnel 12"s

...and regarding Encens, the best track by far is Infinite Image =)

same goes for a guy called "O*men" who released a 12"called "lion mosquito" on nephilim, which was very trippy IMHO.

496565[/snapback]

O*men was Pepe of Squaremeat who has a solo project Lightaman.Jr + some other guy

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=20607%2F

^some olde O*men songs

Solar Systems

...is not very well known, but is actually an early trance/breaks/ambient project by Ciaran Walsh, most known as Deviant Electronics... Solar Systems released an album too...

By the way, Ciaran Walsh is in my opinion one of the most talented producers this scene ever had... He is busy with making music for computer games now, and is becoming a father this month! :)

Haven't you heard Crossing Mind? I think they/him deserve more attention. Don't know anything about the project, but I have their mp3s. They have that awesome Etnica sound.

Really recommended!

*Octogroover. Australian producer. Back in 1997, he released an incredibly trippy but unknown album called 'Voyaging To The Light'

*Bell Size Park. Rather early Goa Trance, but they produced some very nice tracks on their album 'The Truth Is There'.

*A.B.Didgeridoo Oblivion. Another Australian act that used a lot of didgeridoo & tribal influences. Not bad at all.

It's Curious. When it comes to new artists from the more traditional branches of music (rock, blues, folk etc.) I have all the time in the world and will happily sit through hours of radio and TV broadcasts airing new acts. When it comes to new electronic acts however, I just can't be bothered to listen to them as I feel there's a 95% chance they'll be rubbish.

Maybe it's just me but trance has lost it's way. I don't know if it's because everyone is using the same technology to create the music but it all sounds the same. There's no character to it anymore.

Anyway, sorry. Rant over.

It's Curious. When it comes to new artists from the more traditional branches of music (rock, blues, folk etc.) I have all the time in the world and will happily sit through hours of radio and TV broadcasts airing new acts. When it comes to new electronic acts however, I just can't be bothered to listen to them as I feel there's a 95% chance they'll be rubbish.

Maybe it's just me but trance has lost it's way. I don't know if it's because everyone is using the same technology to create the music but it all sounds the same. There's no character to it anymore.

Anyway, sorry. Rant over.

496981[/snapback]

I thought this thread was mainly about 10 year old projects :D

I'm adding:

Snake Thing

Twisted-weird-everything-can-happen-music

Epic-Tone

One 12" released on Spiral Trax, goa 4-ever :lol:

Neum

Great progressive psy-trance

Tycho

Some cool non-generic tunes on the early TIP World releases

Now, is there a way I can hear some of these older obscure artists without scouring Discogs and eBay for a few weeks until a hard copy comes up for sale? ;)

As for me, I don't know any less-represented psy artists that everyone else here is not already familiar with.

ECT - Helpless :ph34r:

I'm adding:

Snake Thing

Twisted-weird-everything-can-happen-music

Good choice, Nick Taylor´s one of my fave producers, he made some great tunes as Rhythmystec also.

And to continue in this aussie vein :

Masaray.