DJing Tips and Tricks

Hey people!

As some of you may know i got my gear, and boy am i having fun!

My beatmixing/beatmatching skills are improving by the day and i feel it's time for me to start learning other stuff while still practicing :)

So i made this thread in order for DJs, pros and amateurs, to post some tips, tricks and general advice if you have any :)

I dunno how to get it started but im sure there's just this basic "tip" that one of you pro DJs out there can share with us n00bs :)

Thanks in advance!

Dav

Hey people!

As some of you may know i got my gear, and boy am i having fun!

My beatmixing/beatmatching skills are improving by the day and i feel it's time for me to start learning other stuff while still practicing :)

So i made this thread in order for DJs, pros and amateurs, to post some tips, tricks and general advice if you have any :)

I dunno how to get it started but im sure there's just this basic "tip" that one of you pro DJs out there can share with us n00bs :)

Thanks in advance!

Dav

495598[/snapback]

Get a couple of straight up monotone techno records (or prog. house with long straight beat intros) to practice your beatmatching (even if you dont like techno), and then move on to crazy psytrance. That way you will get the hang of it a lot easier. I taught 3 people to mix, and I always started them out with very straight, easy beats, and once you can mix that, you will have a lot easier time with "difficult" music because you know all the mechanics and your ear will be more finetuned.

ok that's a given i think ;)

doesn't take any music skills, just math skills lol

495685[/snapback]

it is a measure for you to check yourself how correct you are mostly, as i said. it helps you improve your beatmatching..

there will be occasions that you ll get lost in melodies and beats and can't match, and this measure can save you in those times.

if you want something to try and blow your mind, try multichannel mixing and building melodic rollercoasters with lots of layers. but taking those as later steps is a wiser way to go.

well.... i like to use the eq or even better a lp filter to cut the lows from the track im fading to (track a).... when both trax are running nicely i make smooth transitions only in the lows, changing from the lows in track b to the lows in track a. This can also be done in a break. It really clear things up in busy trax.

Remember to align the two trax breaks.

I think its more noticeable if you pitch correct pad sections of a track compared to rhytm. In other words if you need to notch in the mix do it on the track without pad sections if there are any. This actually applies to all long sounds.

Respect the track! If a non rhytmic intro is an essential part of it dont beatmix, this also applies when you cant, for some reason, get a good mix. The listener will notice a bad mix more than a small break.

Looping the first 4 bars if possible is sometimes cool, this way you can mix and then jump out of the loop when you like.

Have good closed headphones with high gain, pa's are really loud compared to home mixing. my favourites are sennheiser hd25.

Well cant think of more right now... Have fun :)

i mix all sorts of muisc - dnb, breakbeat, chillout, hip hop, funky house, rock - and often a mixture of alot of them - the best tips and tricks i have are this -

1. obvious but sometimes well over looked - tune selection, mixing essentially is not hard, but what seperates the good dj's from the great dj's is finding tunes that fit together to perfeciton, its as important as any eq tricks.

2. eq cancelling is good for effect definately, but the more precicely used the better, its not somthing you wanna overkill

3. chopping the tunes in and out of each other always sounds amazing when exceuted well, again, find 2 tunes where chopping em up enhances the actual music - even create a whole new tune/rhytm by doing it

4. lastly id say keeping the crowd on their toes- be quick and mix in intros to tunes that you are gonna play later on in the set, the big tunes you know people are gonna know. mix thier intro or bits of thier intro in before the middle break down of the tune. then mix another tune into it properly..... doing it a few times with the same tune during the set is really effective in keeping the audience involved and anticipating your every mix

:)

id also recommend getting a mixer with and fx unit on it - ive got a pioneer djm600, but am a bit bored of the fx now though they are wicked! alan and heath make a sick sick mixer too but its heafty in cost

hope thats of some help

J