Hallucinogen not for me?

Bvan

After reading yet another thread on Hallucinogen and starting to wonder if there might be something wrong with the way my brain is wired i thought i'd post to see if i'm the only one that doesnt really enjoy hallucinogen.

I'm not trying to start a flame was or anything, i'm not saying its not great music, just that i cant access it.

the strange thing is that i find shpongle devinely inspired. of my about 60 psytrance, 50 classical, 80 jazz and 400 rock albums i think any of the three shpongle albums would make my top 3 albums off all time. i dont understand how another project from the mind of the same man can leave me so underwhelmed.

I admit i've never heard twisted or lone deranger while being, well, twisted, and maybe this is the problem. most of my music is more progressive psy as opposed to full-on, being the type of music i find better suited to quiter evening home listens on a good stereo.

listning to lone deranger as i type and trying to give it another chance, i can say that there are many technically interesting bits to be found, but the music doesnt move me. it doesnt rock or make me want to dance. the bass doent have too much drive to it i find, and the melodies seem very dischordand and off-key, sometimes unpleasent. i know this is a desired effect sometimes and can be interesting in the right frame of mind.

i'm wondering isf anyone else feels the same, or if peole who really enjoy the album could put it in words what they like about it. i'm genuinely wanting to get to enjoy it as much as most of you do.

long live mr posford,

b.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

took me many years before I started liking the Hallucinogen albums :)

492223[/snapback]

freakshow!

haha kidding :)

Hallucinogen's brilliance doesn't open for everyone, it's not a big deal.

Tracks from the Twisted album i lked instandtly when i listened first to´em but the Lone Deranger took me about two months when i started to like it, hey try to get the track Jana, the hallucinogen rmx of the Killink joke track and the track four stations of the sun, then listen to LSD, if you listen the two more slower tracks jana and four stations of the sun maybe you will like the other hallucinogen stuff more, i id and still do.

No, you probably just don't like it that much :)

Personally, it's the combination of extremely intricate patterns and moving, groovy melodies and percussion and bass and everything.... that does it all.

Basically, it's good from any point of view IMO.

After reading yet another thread on Hallucinogen and starting to wonder if there might be something wrong with the way my brain is wired i thought i'd post to see if i'm the only one that doesnt really enjoy hallucinogen.

I'm not trying to start a flame was or anything, i'm not saying its not great music, just that i cant access it.

the strange thing is that i find shpongle devinely inspired. of my about 60 psytrance, 50 classical, 80 jazz and 400 rock albums i think any of the three shpongle albums would make my top 3 albums off all time. i dont understand how another project from the mind of the same man can leave me so underwhelmed.

I admit i've never heard twisted or lone deranger while being, well, twisted, and maybe this is the problem. most of my music is more progressive psy as opposed to full-on, being the type of music i find better suited to quiter evening home listens on a good stereo.

listning to lone deranger as i type and trying to give it another chance, i can say that there are many technically interesting bits to be found, but the music doesnt move me. it doesnt rock or make me want to dance. the bass doent have too much drive to it i find, and the melodies seem very dischordand and off-key, sometimes unpleasent. i know this is a desired effect sometimes and can be interesting in the right frame of mind.

i'm wondering isf anyone else feels the same, or if peole who really enjoy the album could put it in words what they like about it. i'm genuinely wanting to get to enjoy it as much as most of you do.

long live mr posford,

b.

492221[/snapback]

Not bearing witness to the splendour of Hallucinogen isn't a big deal really in the same way not appreciating the genius of Beethoven is no big deal.

Personally I still remember walking into my local record shop in 1995 and hearing Twisted playing through the shop speakers. I was already into Total Eclipse, Juno Reactor, etc. but what I heard completely blew me away. I asked the guy at the counter for a copy only to be told it was a promo copy and it wouldn't be released for another 2 weeks. I ended up hanging around the shop for another 45 minutes pretending to browse through CD's but really listening to this new and amazing music. Two weeks later my copy in hand, a friend and I took magic mushrooms and we played Wipeout on the Playsation while Hallucinogen thumped through the stereo. I've been in love ever since.

Guest Cosmogenesis

Tracks from the Twisted album i lked instandtly when i listened first to´em but the Lone Deranger took me about two months when i started to like it, hey try to get the track Jana, the hallucinogen rmx of the Killink joke track and the track four stations of the sun, then listen to LSD, if you listen the two more slower tracks jana and four stations of the sun maybe you will like the other hallucinogen stuff more, i id and still do.

492226[/snapback]

The same thing happens to me: I have listen so many times "Twisted" than the first time I have listened "Deranger" I was a little surprised and a bit disappointed, because of the unclassic and strange form of the rhythm of the tracks, the more complex vibes. My ears were not accustomed of this new type of music. But only after two or three listenings, I have realized that Lone Deranger is a unique masterpiece. Now, "Demention" and "Deranger" are two of my favorites hallucinogenic tunes. :D

Not bearing witness to the splendour of Hallucinogen isn't a big deal really in the same way not appreciating the genius of Beethoven is no big deal.

Personally I still remember walking into my local record shop in 1995 and hearing Twisted playing through the shop speakers. I was already into Total Eclipse, Juno Reactor, etc. but what I heard completely blew me away. I asked the guy at the counter for a copy only to be told it was a promo copy and it wouldn't be released for another 2 weeks. I ended up hanging around the shop for another 45 minutes pretending to browse through CD's but really listening to this new and amazing music. Two weeks later my copy in hand, a friend and I took magic mushrooms and we played Wipeout on the Playsation while Hallucinogen thumped through the stereo. I've been in love ever since.

492232[/snapback]

Nice story man, have you stuttered while asking the guy for a copy of twisted, if i come somewhere in adn listen new awesome psychedelic trance in a shop i always ask with stutering for a copy because i don´t know what to do when i listen so great music, i want get it instandly.

492232[/snapback]

That's a perfect lovestory!

I dontz like Hallucinogen that much either, dont worry. Posford in general is totally overrrated, but I also dont wanna start any wars now.

492250[/snapback]

I expected more from you.

thanks for the replies.

its given me a bit more insentive to perservere with both albums. i always find it helpfull and interesting to read what other people see in any particular album or song or even movie. reading reviews seems to let me see the work from a perspective that might otherwise have escaped my attention. i also find that expecting great things from a track or album that youve read lots of good things about helps, not so much because it sways opinion, but because you tend to then enter into the listning experience with more attention, and because of this this music will always move you more. if you know what i mean.

and it does bother me if i feel i'm missing something, like i think it should if one couldnt access beethoven or pink floyd. not that every popular or critically aclaimed band needs neccessarily to be concidered 'good'. popular approval and artistic greatness are often mutually exclusive as we all know. and everyone being different, everyone should have different favourites. never the less, if one cant appreciate a particular artist, or particulary a genre of music, its seldom the case that its because there is no artistic merit in that genre, but more often and almost always the case that it is because of some childish stigma that we have against it. i mean childish in the sence that it is often resultant from a particular experience in early life that we no longer have a conscious awareness of. for example, i didnt eat brockolli till i was 18 years old, not because it was inherently unpleasent or that my constitution fundamantally changed on reaching majority, but rather that not enjoying it was a reaction against being forced to eat it when i was young. luckilly i grew out of that.

my point in all this is just that i dont think any of us should stop at the relitively few artists or genres we think we like. not being able to expand our fields of interests is selling ourselves short of a lot in this life. while i will always dismiss some 'artists' out of hand, i'll persevere with hallucinogen and encourage others to persevere with beethoven.

cheers

b.

I buy to much music sometimes and some releases (like the loan deranger) I listen too once or twice, aren't impressed and they go on the pile. Months later I'll pick them out and give them another listen, quite often it's BAM!! Absoluely amazing this time. I think some stuff just needs time or more listens. Perserverence is good. I should probably pick out some of my CDs that have gone years in this state. Still haven't gotten into posfords younger brother - flock of beeps album but I'll probably put it on some day, love it and cane it for years.

overrated music for kids B)

those sounds and style sounds so 90s, and i mean it, i think thats the answer why he became so popular with twisted and why non-psy people know him and bought his albums - listen to pop or maybe call it commercial music of that time, you might hear some similarities, not that im saying that hes the only one, music is music afterall but his music sounds very dated to me, it might have been da bomb among clubbers back then, but now it sounds old and dare i say - cheezy. its not timeless imo.

492232[/snapback]

Oh I wish I would've in the scene in 1995. :)

This is what makes Hallucinogen so out-of-this-worldy.

You can listen to it 10 years and still like it! :)

wipeout mushies and hallu?

that must've been somewhat a holy seremony :o

overrated music for kids B)

those sounds and style sounds so 90s, and i mean it, i think thats the answer why he became so popular with twisted and why non-psy people know him and bought his albums - listen to pop or maybe call it commercial music of that time, you might hear some similarities, not that im saying that hes the only one, music is music afterall but his music sounds very dated to me, it might have been da bomb among clubbers back then,  but now it sounds old and dare i say - cheezy. its not timeless imo.

492371[/snapback]

Bob Dylan's Blowing In The Wind sounds so 60's and Led Zeppelin's Kashmir sounds so 70's but they're still great tunes. Timelessness isn't just about how a tune sounds, it's about relevance and weight of emotion, something Twisted and The Lone Dernager have in spades.

Do you you not listen to music pre 2000?

thats the whole point - i listen to oldschool, but hallucinogen sounds dated and silly.

492676[/snapback]

Fair enough. I was just wondering if you had a policy against music of a certain age.

Fair enough. I was just wondering if you had a policy against music of a certain age.

492678[/snapback]

no, good music is good music ;)!

not that im saying that hallucinogen is bad, its all about taste :).

[btw everybody knows that mine is better than yours :P ]

for example - some eat static stuff sounds dated too, but then again, what did you expect from 1992/3/4 :)?! but then again - there are tracks that sound no way near dated from that time IMO :).

Edited by reger

long live mr posford,

b.

492221[/snapback]

I gave the L.S.D recently a third or fourth aimed listening, once again I do not find it almost at all deserving some greater attention. I know that it was so with AP at first, I refound them after not liking them .. but I think its not gonna be with L.S.D so.

Gamma Goblins is a hundred times more divine. It makes one/me feel that the riffs do not finish their progress .. which leads inevitably to wanting more of it. Purely genius.

492232[/snapback]

I don't appreciate Beethoven.

Respect to his composition skills, but ... I just don't get classical music. Most oldschool is also too intense for me. All too much. I guess I might be a little bit of a musical autist in some way...

hats the whole point - i listen to oldschool, but hallucinogen sounds dated and silly

another lame Posford thread. look - people who don't understand, at least

on an intellectual level why his material is consistently the best Trance

(goa or whatever you are supposed to call it) are 'special'

His material is from my arrogant viewpoint, THE finest electronica work

available. It is a pity that you all can't appreciate it.