03 10:26 Dr. Evil

04 08:39 Just Get Out

05 07:44 Multispin

06 06:55 Tb-1

07 09:46 Stay With Us (Fool Mix)

08 08:10 Stacked

09 07:51 Baking Powder

Review:

The new album by Hellenic trance pioneer Chris Tatitzikidis aka Igneous, co-founder of psytrance duo Magus, is one of those releases that you cannot ignore.

"Igneous" Chris has released music on most major record labels and travelled the globe. With this release he celebrates 10 years in music production with his best personal work to date, titled 'Skip Insect'. After the debut 'Encephalophagus' followed by 'Skint' this third album is taking us to further depths of a heavily rhythmic and esoteric trip.

This is also by far the most significant release for Headstick recordings (Thessaloniki, Greece) to date.

The magic of Igneous (previously known as Igneous Sauria) is revealed in the repetitive percussive textures, the deeply atmospheric sounds and a tribal struggle with the forces of psychedelia.

Be prepared to be surprised. The more you listen to this album, the more you realize that there is more to this unique blend of psychedelic music.

The sounds are eclectic and the beats commanding. The production quality evolves from crystal clear into booming with deep dark basslines surrounding your ears, placing Igneous in the avant-garde of psytrance producers.

There is always a fine line between deep and dark and this new album never crosses it. The sound is thoughtful, skeptical and some times even philosophical. An intellectual rhythm pattern that keeps you dancing, letting you trance free in a psy spiral.

01 Skip Insect

The album opens with Skip Insect that has a retro feel and reminds more of the earlier days of Igneous Sauria. Stripped down with a jungle feel marks the turn to a more persistent and powerful beat.

02 Amphibian

The second track Amphibian gets things going with its imposing atmosphere and dramatic build up. This is a new sound for the night time and it kicks butt.

03 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil is another steady slow build up. The percussion is smashing the bass heavy core and the sounds keep adding to infinity.

04 Just Get Out

Just get out is a more outgoing affair and here things get really deep with the fat bassline dominating.

05 Multispin

Multispin is another classic Igneous work of art. The spiral is never ending. Sounds rotate around a solid bass in a twisting and twirling deep meditation mode.

06 Tb1

Tb1 is a deeper journey and here Chris reaches his most esoteric side. There is something so honest about this track. In the deep dark tribal moments we don't feel alone, the sound is our friend.

07 Stay With Us (Fool mix)

The bright and fascinating vibe of Stay With Us (Fool mix) seduces the listener into an addictive and psyberplex structure. There are no limits here, voices from the deepest corners of the brain with no beginnings and no ends.

08 Stacked

Stacked heads towards a morning feel taking the listener away from the night in minimal style.

09 Baking Powder

Baking Powder is perhaps the weakest link here and although a great chill out finish such a track does not fit well with the highly innovative and fresh kicking sound in the rest of this record.

If you think that this is just minimal psytrance then think again, or better listen again.

This is truly psychedelic trance music without the ketchup.

9/10

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/hea/hea1cd005.html

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5273

[Original review taken from PsytranceMusic @ BlogSpot. Formated by me :)]

• 3 weeks later...

Tested against dance floor. I was surprised at how eagerly people ate this up, especially after I'd been warned that they were usually into a neo/full-on/hard/mechanical sound.

8/10 and holding. Could have been more if he'd move it along a little. It does tend to dawdle. But still a high quality release.

• 1 month later...

I like some parts of this release.. track 2 and 5 stand out of the crowd and so is the really hypnotic sound of this guy!

But.. it lacks development imo! it's.. too minimal, it drones on and on and on and there are only little changes made in the sound of the tracks.. but it works for me sometimes hehe.

Check this out if you're into minimal stuff.. this album has a nice sound!

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this release. It is a bit on the minimal side but not desperately so. I found most of the tracks engaging (i.e. good for home listening) and quite danceable as well. Strongest section of the CD are tracks 4 through 7. But I also liked the others with perhaps track 8 as the exception.

Recommended.

Pedro

this is beautiful music, no part dominates (ie no deafeningly loud obnoxious basslines), but all elements complement each other as the chugging journey slowly yet surely moves higher and higher.

i really enjoy this album. is there a difference in style between 'Igneous' and 'Igneous Sauria' projects? i'm keen to check his other stuff....

• 2 months later...

This is a type of release I am reluctant about commenting as its' success with me depends entirely on the mood & time of day. Played at the wrong hour I could find it deadboring. On the right time of day, I could find it amazing! So how to rate it? Well, most of the way this is stripped bare naked progressive trance, and something I like early in the evening. Or with a daring dj in a small dose at the height of the night. Played when you just want it simple, this could provide the ticket to the Milky Ways. In itself it does so little, so the initiative is entirely with you.

That said, a full album of this is over the top for me. I get the same feeling with Skip Insect as I get with Alegria's Phonogen or Sonnenvakuum's Phonotonie. Or sweets. I can only take so much. But if you like minimal style progressive acts you'll want to hear this. If you need it more complex, check out the samples first. This ... is naked :o)

• 7 years later...