Prophecy or Microwave XT?

I'd like to buy a new synth (now that I've got the money). I've got my mind set on a Prophecy, but the Microwave XT seems pretty sweet too :)

Advice, opinions etc are appreciated ;) Thanks.

Hullo - I have both of the beasts so feel free to ask anything :)

What you will be most happy with depends on your needs (duh!). They are pretty different machines. Sound aside, some issues you should consider:

- How do you compose? Do you have miles and miles of MIDI-tracks, or do you record immedietly? The Prophecy is monophonic, so you'll have to compose-record-compose-record aaaall the time, if you want more than one sound in a track... Besides, you can't play chords on it - which is a damn shame, since it can create some wicked pads and layers. The Microwave is better that way. But at the same time, the Prophecy has some really cool oscilators (especially the comb filtered one), that can do stuff that almost no other synth out there is capable of. The MWXT is special too, with the wavetable synthesis - but somehow it's less "weird"...

Soundwise, they are both capable of crisp scratchy sounds, polated ethereal flowing sounds, and in-your-face sharp arpeggio-suited sounds. The modulation options on the prophecy can be coupled to it's effects, which are good, but needing more - the microwave is seriously wanting in the effects department. It only has some standard delay-effects, a flanger/chorus, and an almost useless amplitude-modulation. Hmm, I'm hungover now, so I can't give an in detail review ;)

If you plan to get both of them some time or another, I think you should go for the Prophecy first. It seems quite rare, compared to the MWXT. I had to browse through several second-hand sections to find one. I got one real cheap though (€ 320 or so).

-A

How do you compose? Do you have miles and miles of MIDI-tracks, or do you record immedietly?

What exactly do you mean by recording immediately?

If you plan to get both of them some time or another, I think you should go for the Prophecy first. It seems quite rare, compared to the MWXT.

490633[/snapback]

They're not so rare I think. On http://fr.audiofanzine.com/ you can find them quite often.

Thanks for the reply ;)

What exactly do you mean by recording immediately?

490660[/snapback]

Do you have a lot of MIDI tracks playing at the same time in your sequences? I have got the habit of programming a line I like, and then record it to audio at once. It makes it harder to edit it later, but effects are better in Logic, than either MWXT or Prophecy (with some exceptions...). That is a must with the Prophecy, since it's monophonic, and can't play more than one sound at a given time.

They're not so rare I think. On http://fr.audiofanzine.com/ you can find them quite often.

490660[/snapback]

It looks that way :) - I'm glad I found one here in Denmark, because my french is very poor ;)

-A

The Prophecy is monophonic, so you'll have to compose-record-compose-record aaaall the time, if you want more than one sound in a track

490633[/snapback]

that sucks

Yes it does... But on the other hand, it's capable of unique souds, that can blow you away, monophonic or not. Don't be fooled be the Z1 or Trident, which supposedly can do the same as the Prophecy and is multitimbral... I heard that the sound quality is noticeably worse.

But if you need something more handy, with easier acces to a lot of sounds here and now, then the MWXT is a better choice. It has knobs for everything, which the Prophecy doesn't - I strongly advice you to control the Prophecy with sounddiver or something similar. I still haven't found the very basic amplitude envelope through the Prophecy's own interface :o

-A

Don't be fooled be the Z1 or Trident, which supposedly can do the same as the Prophecy and is multitimbral... I heard that the sound quality is noticeably worse.

490935[/snapback]

Someone told me that with the Z1 it takes a bit more time and knowledge to create te same (and better) sounds as the Prophecy because it's more complicated. He also says that the Z1 is capable of a lot more.

Do you have any experience with the Emu E-synth? Seems a pretty good sampler/synth too and a lot easier to program than the K2000.

Someone told me that with the Z1 it takes a bit more time and knowledge to create te same (and better) sounds as the Prophecy because it's more complicated. He also says that the Z1 is capable of a lot more.

491098[/snapback]

Maybe it's capable of a lot more, but not the same... Sure, the specs may imply that it is, but experienced ears (not my own, alas) say that the sound quality is not near the Prophecy's - for instance FM is not always FM, filters can be implemented in a million ways, and sound just as different - a lot of corners can be cut in the world of digital synthesizers.

Do you have any experience with the Emu E-synth? Seems a pretty good sampler/synth too and a lot easier to program than the K2000.

491098[/snapback]

Nope, sorry :)

Edit: I checked out it's specs, and it seems like just another sampler to me...? Hence, it's ALOT different from either Prophecy or MWXT.

-A

I checked out it's specs, and it seems like just another sampler to me...? Hence, it's ALOT different from either Prophecy or MWXT.

491104[/snapback]

I know :P

And it's a sampler/synthesizer :)

I haven't tried it either but I've read a few reviews and it seems pretty kewl.

Is there much difference (in sound) between the Micro Q and the MWXT?

491644[/snapback]

big difference , xt is much better synth , better sound , better control , wavetalble sythesis , its stil unique synth on the market ... micro q is a cheap virtual analog , have some character but far from xt ... prophecy is verry good sounding digital monosyth , virtual analog and some other fine things ....

for trance , psy , goa 1 wald xt

2 wald micro q

3 prophecy

sound quality 1 wald xt

2 prophecy

3 micro q

I can get a KS rack for € 270. Should I go for this or should I save my money and buy the MWXT (for example) a bit later?

493594[/snapback]

novation?

... keep saving the money B)

for that money you can buy some good old stufs, but MWXT is a musthave mashien!!!

;)

novation?

... keep saving the money  B)

for that money you can buy some good old stufs, but MWXT is a musthave mashien!!!

;)

493604[/snapback]

It seems a pretty good deal though. The specs aren't that special but I liked the sound of the V-station a lot and this one's some sort of "upgraded" V-station/Basstation.

:lol:

edit: how's editing on the mwxt?

494349[/snapback]

its one of the best user interfaces , its a very complex synthesizer

i own it since 1998 , in meentime i change more than 15 synthesizers , but mwxt stay in the midle of my studio ,even after 8 years that think can suprise me ,

44 knobs , a little but functional little lcd display ,a big red dial , there is all you need to make unique sounds , from induistrielike noises to solid analog emulations , different types of filters , wavetables , FM ,powerful mod matrix ,an it is multitimbral ,have two stereo outputs ...

in last few years i owned allmost all VA synthis , Virus c, yamaha AN 1X, nord lead 1, jp 8080 , prophecy , z1, micro q ... but the best impression i have from wald XT ....

Have you tried the Microwave? (the first one)

494943[/snapback]

:) i have not tryed the original microwave , i know it has analog filters , so i readed some reviews , its a same method of sythesis , sound is smoother than by MW 2 and technicaly wm2 have much faster dsp , better mod matrix and some other goodees :)

BUT !!!!!!

a real moster is the WAVE , i think the production started from 1993 , its one of the best synthis ever made ...

.... total control of wavetable synthesis , i think CEM analog filters , its like a space shuttle , i have just a samping CD with sounds of Wave .. no comment .....

one of the want to have gears ..... after my next releases , i will buy a poster with the picture of WAVE ................... :lol::lol::lol:

after my next releases , i will buy a poster with the picture of WAVE ...................  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

494948[/snapback]

Didn't Waldorf come up with a software emulation? Don't know if its sound comes close to the original...

Didn't Waldorf come up with a software emulation? Don't know if its sound comes close to the original...

494951[/snapback]

im very sceptic about software emulations , i have released track Hypernova for Usta records last year , its allmost 100% plugins .... plugins sounds good or not so good when you play them alone , but in the mix ..... i know plugins are cheaper than hardware , but personaly in last 5-6 trax i use almost 100% hardware .... Astaral Projection cant sound soo good and powerfull .in theys earlyer work ....

pluginproduction is thin .... so i think computer never will have that rich sound of analog circuits ... when i play on plugins i hear the silence behind of sound ...

so i dont belive in perfect softemulations

<_<

Speaking of sound-quality, the only difference between a modern hardware synth and a soft emulation is the A/D-converters. The big difference for me is the interface. The stuff you would do with a perfect emulation of a hardware synth with actual knobs would be very different, owing only to the interface. At least for me :)

-A

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Could someone give me the .pdf manual? I bought the MWXT on ebay but the manual isn't included and I can't download it on the waldorf website either.

Thanks in advance.

edit:

I already found it on vintagesynth.org

And it doesn't look ugly at all! It has a rather rusty orange brown colour. (it even feels a bit rusty... :)) Just lovely!