About sharing mp3s

cangrejo

"Im really curious of what a 24bit 192KHz MP3 might sound like when compared to CD Audio - Perhaps we should be careful not to measure everything by CDs anymore when talking quality."

i'm not sure 24bit 192KHZ mp3 is possible, unless you were compressing from an even higher sample size/rate.

if youve never heard 24/192 [sacd(dsd)/dvd-a(mlp)/hdad/hdvd/blueray] you might find it an interesting excercise to pop in to your nearest hifi shop for a demo. unfortunately there is little or no electronic music in this format yet, let alone psytrance,(there are about 3000 sacd titles in all i believe).

the hifi shope will probably have pink floyds 'dark side of the moon'. this is concidered one of the benchmarks of the hi-rez formats. try the redbook cd layer first, then the 2-channel sacd layer, and you'll see the lie that was 'perfect sound forever'. then try the 5.1 layer if the system is set up as such(the disk has 3 layers/versions of the album), and try to imagine what it would be like listning to shpongle in multichannel sacd. maybe then you'll join me in a petition to mr posford :)

sacd and dvd-a are going the way of the dodo unfortunatly, killed off by the industries inability to settle on a single format (as with beta/vhs, and now again with hdvd/blueray).

but there are other hi rez formats. sony's dual disk(20 bit) is gaining ground, hdcd has more titles out than most people realize(you probably own some without knowing but dont have a player that can decode the extra bits).

i think the future of hi-rez(and multichannel) audio lies in convergence with dvd, namely in blueray/hddvd. and i think its here to stay. concidering that the upcomming sony PS3 is coming blueray equiped it shouldnt be long before most of us are able to play the new disks. and then hopefully it wont be long before psytrance producers join the 21st century.

though it must be said that the potential of normal 16/44 cd has not nearly been realized. if you ever get to hear anything from moblile fidelity sound labs(eg patricia barber) or chesky records, for example, you will realize that 99% of sound engineers dont infact know what they are doing. and when you hear an old ablum like dire straits' brothers in arms you will come to the conclusion that said engineers havent in fact got any better at it during the 20 years either.

cheers

b.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you do for a living? Do you make anything? If so, give me one for free, or tell me where I can find one so I can steal it.

491832[/snapback]

Ah I'll tell my friend to let you download our OS Project. It's cluster mp3 streaming software. It is open source so you can alter the code and stop the stream :o

:P

You can hear some clips here: http://www.voiceofcod.com

If you like what you hear you can buy the tracks here: http://www.organicrecords.net and click on "VISIT THE DIGITAL SHOP".

494572[/snapback]

What I was trying to say was that we all have different taste/needs. Anyway, thanks for the links. I'll probably download the full mp3s though, so I can get into the feeling of the songs better. In fact, I already have the We are Free album and it's not bad, but if I'm going to start buying records soon I have other discs with higher priority. It's definitely a part of what I classify as good music though :)

As for where you can get samples of my papers, I don't have any web hosting for it (What's rapidshare? YouSendIt? etc.?), since I'm so poor because you don't pay me for the effort and time I put into it.

It doesn't make sense, you say? I'm good at that. In fact, it's one of my best argumenting techniques. If I don't make sense, then it's very hard to find an argument against it, when it generally means that I couldn't come up with an argument in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Use LAME to encode.  It's recognised as the best encoder.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

Or I can send you the front-end and codec if you like, it's only small.

491162[/snapback]

I finally got round to converting a bit of music to LAME then ripping it to CD and must confess to being quite surprised. When playing electronic music, even on a 20 grand system, it was reasonably tricky distinguishing between the original WAV and LAME files. The only telltale signs were the bass which was slighly more flabby with less punch and very high frequency treble sometimes sounded harsh and rather blunt (as opposed to ending in a long, smooth, sharp point).

The difference when playing live and acoustic music was much easier to recognise with the LAME files sounding relatively flat and compressed compared to the original recordings. Certain subtleties and nuances such as the twang of a guitar string played slightly off key, slight intakes of breath and the sound of saliva as a vocalist parted their lips were less prominant on the LAME files so in conclusion detail retrieval and resolution fall some way short of the original WAV files.

Overall though I was genuinely surprised, especially with it's scope for dealing with electronic music. It's very impressive.

I finally got round to converting a bit of music to LAME then ripping it to CD and must confess to being quite surprised. When playing electronic music, even on a 20 grand system, it was reasonably tricky distinguishing between the original WAV and LAME files. The only telltale signs were the bass which was slighly more flabby with less punch and very high frequency treble sometimes sounded harsh and rather blunt (as opposed to ending in a long, smooth, sharp point).

The difference when playing live and acoustic music was much easier to recognise with the LAME files sounding relatively flat and compressed compared to the original recordings. Certain subtleties and nuances such as the twang of a guitar string played slightly off key, slight intakes of breath and the sound of saliva as a vocalist parted their lips were less prominant on the LAME files so in conclusion detail retrieval and resolution fall some way short of the original WAV files.

Overall though I was genuinely surprised, especially with it's scope for dealing with electronic music. It's very impressive.

499126[/snapback]

Interesting. What encoder settings did you use?