Juno Reactor - Luciana

Goblim

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds very very interesting... If I could get my hands on this..

349552[/snapback]

wop is selling it i think..

how much you guys offering for this cd? - MIGHT sell mine if the price is correct - its in an awesome state considering its age - dosnt even have light scratches to be humble...  B)

321142[/snapback]

• 7 months later...

It is very minimal dark ambient, considering it was made in 1993 it is ok, the sounds are well chosen, but it got like tenth of the complexity of some dark ambient Cds i have heard, for example Yen Pox & Troum (this one).

It is dark, i recommend you the Cd above if you want something darker and more ethereal.

I find Luciana simple on the whole, intriguing of course, but i am sure they could make an awesome remix of it today, if they got the courage ! : )

for example Yen Pox & Troum (this one).

526599[/snapback]

that one is completely wicked... when it stopped the silence was so loud.... at the end I was in an almost-asleep-state and the silence actually woke me up, I was like: holy crap wtf was all that... I had been temporarily transported to a place where everything is dark, mysterious, gothic, vague and blurry... and beautiful too.

that one is completely wicked... when it stopped the silence was so loud.... at the end I was in an almost-asleep-state and the silence actually woke me up, I was like: holy crap wtf was all that... I had been temporarily transported to a place where everything is dark, mysterious, gothic, vague and blurry... and beautiful too.

526745[/snapback]

Indeed that is a totally wicked album, especially tracks 2 and 3 if i remember well. Like you said, as it's the case for the best ambient albums, the silence which follows the end of the album let you think that you just listened something astonishing. Recommended to anyone who like these mysterious and terribly dark atmospheres.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened Luciana for first time today. This is TOTALLY dark!

Several first minutes it started to seems very boring but as Lemminwinks said you have to have a time and right mood to listen it. I listened it driving my car staying in traffic jam so I really had a time for it.

Step by step the music is caught my imagination. It quite suitable for Terminator I when the machines invaded the Earth and there is no life just fields of emptyness and darkness. Depression is grip you. But then comes vocals that really sounds like a HOPE like a dawn of life in this realm of machines. Vocals is genuine indeed, very very beautiful !!!

I don't know how soon I will listen it again becouse it is not easy listening.

A very strange piece of art. Remain me an altarnative rock group "This Mortal Coil" by the mood of music. :mellow:

8/10

• 4 weeks later...

Just won it yesterday from eBay - thirty two pounds sterling delivered! :blink:

As of lately I becam a JR fan and this seems to be a very rare album.

Now I'm very anxious to listen it after all the bad points I read above :P

Guest Astro Cortex

if you ppl already dig this so much, you should try from the same year:

Lustmord - The Place Where The Black Stars Hang

listen in bed for a really mind altering experience

555434[/snapback]

I second that. :)

Metastatic Resonance, now that's one surreal composition. Stunning, baby!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cosmogenesis

Boring, poor, crap, there is anything interesting inside. Only dark atmospheric pads which almost never changed during one hour! It's for me the worse release of Juno Reactor. Ok, it comes from 1994, but at that time, other artists have made much better stuff than this one. It's really only for a very bad trip! B)

Boring, poor, crap, there is anything interesting inside. Only dark atmospheric pads which almost never changed during one hour! It's for me the worse release of Juno Reactor. Ok, it comes from 1994, but at that time, other artists have made much better stuff than this one. It's really only for a very bad trip!  B)

560248[/snapback]

:blink::huh::blink::unsure::o:blink:

I understand your opinion though if you are not very familiar with ambient.. ;)

Guest Cosmogenesis

:blink:  :huh:  :blink:  :unsure:  :o  :blink:

I understand your opinion though if you are not very familiar with ambient.. ;)

560329[/snapback]

Humm... Ambient, you say? I think it sounds more like new age or a cinematic soundtrack. And Vangelis has made much better stuff than this one. B)

If you want a "real" ambient release from 1994, check "Whatever happened to Utopia?" from Astralasia. ;):P

Ambient = merely beatless for me.

I know the Astralasia release, personally I would classify this as chill/ambient/downtempo or something..

Luciana is ambient, dark ambient precisely.

Lots of cinematic soundtracks are ambient-like too.

;):P

Guest Cosmogenesis

Ambient = merely beatless for me.

I know the Astralasia release, personally I would classify this as chill/ambient/downtempo or something..

Luciana is ambient, dark ambient precisely.

Lots of cinematic soundtracks are ambient-like too.

;):P

560354[/snapback]

:P

Guest Cosmogenesis

Alas, this is the only Juno Reactor record I've not heard. Seen it on eBay and Amazon a few times but always at silly prices. I hope to have it one day.

560897[/snapback]

Trust me, you don't loose something! Or, if you want it, it's only for your juno's collection! ;)

If you like mechanical hypnotic ambient soundscapes you might like it :)

anyways give it a chance. I don't play if very often, maybe once in two months or something...

I think this track was supposed to be music for a painting exhibition.

Guest Cosmogenesis

If you like mechanical hypnotic ambient soundscapes you might like it :)

anyways give it a chance. I don't play if very often, maybe once in two months or something...

I think this track was supposed to be music for a painting exhibition.

562194[/snapback]

You're a real fan & protector of Juno Reactor as I can see! :lol:

• 4 months later...

ive heard this... finally... anyway.... i absolutely love it, easily a fav jr release. you kind of have to psyche yourself up to listen to it, knowing that theres not going to be very much variation, mostly minimal stuff...

i actually had heard a clip of it, in their film (they were movie makers) called "the missile project" before hand and i recognised that generator sound (which you start to become addicted to after awhile, you kind of need it to go on).

anyway, on the subject of repetitivity, i've heard 12 minute pieces (same idea) more boring than this... :P

anyone trying to remix this should try listening to it first, and really think about whether or not its a good idea (remixing this would be a very very very bad idea IMO, no matter how good you are)

it creeps up on you, and actually kind of builds up a whole bunch of times, and breaking with the same old synth... this is no longer music, more like an elaborate art piece....

whew, long post according to nimai ;)

• 2 months later...

This is not music, it is an ambient soundtrack of... an old factory. I don't know.

I actually love it, playing in the background... sort of a anti-matter version of Carbon Based Lifeforms' or Solar Fields' albums. Dark ambient? I don't know.

I don't even notice it disappears until a few minutes later. One day, I woke up with it... such a weird way to wake up. It sort of mixed with my dreams... I can't even explain it. Not bad, just - dark.

Great release, but not a Juno Reactor release. Something else...

anyway, on the subject of repetitivity, i've heard 12 minute pieces (same idea) more boring than this... :P

anyone trying to remix this should try listening to it first, and really think about whether or not its a good idea (remixing this would be a very very very bad idea IMO, no matter how good you are)

it creeps up on you, and actually kind of builds up a whole bunch of times, and breaking with the same old synth... this is no longer music, more like an elaborate art piece....

whew, long post according to nimai ;)

Hmmm admit that it could be much better, it was made in 1995. In 2007, this music (track) could be more complex, and above all, more progressive. I don't think remaking it would be a bad idea, because it sounds pretty basic IMO.

• 7 months later...

Luciana is the most tedious "long" track I've ever heard in my life. Honestly. And I love Juno Reactor. I own all of their albums but this one.

If they built some awesome melodies, rhythms, and beats around the brooding dark ambient world they've managed to create here, I may have found this thing amazing. Nonetheless that idea would compromise the concept of the ambient track entirely.

Personally I don't enjoy it and I won't rate it.

Luciana is definitely artistic and unique, and nothing on planet earth is quite like it to my knowledge. You either like it or you don't.

• 8 months later...

Being as I just listened to the whole thing. I would have to say this is far from being boring or bad. Very much the opposite. Here are my thoughts:

It is unique; yes, it has been said earlier. But you don't find too many doing songs like this.

It is on a different level. A whole different ball-game.

It is an enigma. I want to believe that the only way to unlock this enigma is to be unconscious but still able to listen to it feed into your subconscious and decipher it from there. You pretty much have to have absolutely no distractions to accomplish this feat. When I was listening to it earlier, I turned off the lights and only had the glare from my computer screen as a light source (being as I started playing it about 1:40am-ish). At first I thought it wasn't playing at all, so I turned up the volumne to max and I could here the first makings of the song unfold. Slowly it got louder and louder and I adjusted the volume from there. I think the volume is absolutely important for this song since if you don't have it turned up enough, you're going to miss parts of it that definitely add an aspect to it; while at the same time you can't have it too loud for it might blow out your ears by the time you get to about a third of the way into the song.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if you could classify it as a song. I like the idea of what was said earlier that it's really an experience, I think that hit's it on point.

The atmosphere of it was definitely eerie. I wouldn't exactly say that you wouldn't find yourself in hell per say. But it definitely has a dark feel to it. It's a feeling of being deep deep deep underground with the humming and the repitition of that machine-like noise. That noise in particular does kind of remind me of a train somewhat. Or maybe some sinister machine working endlessly, relentlessly to put it's plan into fruition. It did feel like you didn't want it to stop.

There were definitely some parts that put me into a almost very scared state. But those moments didn't last long enough to really scare the crap out of me. I account it to being minimalist as this "song" truly is. Whether I wanted those moments to keep going or not, is another matter.

And the vocal parts!! Oh my!! They were almost euphoric in a sense. Just as suddenly as they came, they vanish and your back into the gloom and the darkness. Leaving you thirsting, wanting for more. I don't know what language the lyrics were sung in, but I would be very interested in what they are translated to be. A key the enigma, perhaps.

What this "song" really reminded me of was that of Silent Hill. Although, I never did play the video game series, I did see the movie, however. And that movie creeped me out a good bit. I would imagine this song would find it's place here deep undergound in the places you really don't want to be for fear of what might get you. *shudder shudder*

But overall, yes, if you don't like to actually sit down and listen to this... experience, then this one is probably not for you. But if you have the time and the mindset to really concentrate on comprehending it's genius, then you might find that you like it. It is very hit or miss, I would think.

Edit: Oh I forgot to rate it! How silly of me... I would believe this would be rated as: 7.5/10 for the fact that it is very minimalist, but in a good way. Although, not quite powerfully awe-inspiring that it could have been.