production, flawless sounds. not your "typical" goa of this era - there are

melodies, but they don't dominate. i also like this cd because it fits my mood

most of the time. 9/10

• 4 months later...

STUNNING album...The best album from X - Dream for sure...It is Psychedelic Goa

Trance of early period...I like all songs but the Best are : SCREW ( ! ), THE

SECOND ROOM ( !!! ), ZEBRA, OUR OWN HAPPINESS ( !!! ), ELEVEN, AURORIX....10/10

• 2 years later...

X-Dream has been one of my favourite psytrance acts since being introduced to them with this album in 1997. Everything reeks talent, psychedelic craziness and innovation here. Two youngsters entering with a shitload of ideas and balls to carry it out. The amount of hairraising moments is almost endless, while their later taking to darker psy/tech-trance also reveals itself just below the surface.

Our Own Happiness makes out the backbone of this record, but every track really has its own to offer, and my favourite be either one on any given day. Recommended to all psytrance listeners, and a sure must for old skool lovers.

And my personal fav: Our own happiness for sure. I will NEVER grow tired of that bass. Well, that'll be the day psy don't do it for me no more ...

• 6 months later...

A more mature Trip To Trancesylvania. One of my favorites by X-Dream but the release date has always confused me. Everywhere I go it always states it came out in 1997.. yet in their Best Of set it states this album was from 1995.. and that would have made sense seeing how Trip was from 1993 and Radio was in 1998.. the years make more sense this way. Maybe it got delayed quite a bit?

• 1 month later...

Awesome release. My first experience with X-dream was Radio and unfortunately it turned me off. Too minimal(boring). But this is a masterpiece. Well constructed tracks that never become dull or repetitive. The melodies are nice and bring thoughts of laying on the beach as the sun rises.

Great stuff.

Mdk

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I - N - C - R - E - D - I - B - L- E - ! - ! - !

I don' think the english vocabulary has any better terms to describe this album. At least my fat Webster lacks them...

While to the vast majority the first association with the pioneering, ever changing trance duo X-Dream would be the more minimalist, technoid sound of "Radio" or "Irritant", to me Rough & Rush will always be all about '97's "We created our own happiness"! :)

I reckon that no more than a dozen albums in my entire collection burst with so much talent, energy and beauty! Every milisecond of this gem oozes unsurpassed quality, not topped even by their later, more talked about work. Doing a track by track analysis would be pointless, instead, I'll take that time to listen through the album once again...

My favorite tracks would however be the evergreen Our Own Happiness, with one of the wildest, grooviest and coolest bass lines evargh decorating a psy trance track, and the following track, Eleven, builds up soooooo nicely, with such an euphoric melody that I cannot but wonder why the sudden change in style after this release?

An honorable mention goes to this album's perfect flow. It really does portray itself as an entity, consisting of eight separate musical masterpieces very smoothly mixed into each other- you'll feel like you're on a 74 minute journey to utopia...

A true testament to the old school, X-Dream's farewell letter to goa trance, an undeniable classic, their magnum opus - whatever - call it what you want to, but do not be without it!

It was re-released a few years back, and is super easy to find. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

X-DREAM - WE CREATED OUR OWN HAPPINESS

TUNNEL RECORDS

Posted Image

Track list:

01. 09'04" Screw [The Truth]

02. 07'45" Do You Believe

03. 08'23" The Second Room

04. 09'09" Zebra

05. 07'16" Relaxed Vortex

06. 08'06" Our Own Happiness

07. 11'07" Eleven

08. 07'39" Aurorix

We Created Our Own Happiness is and may forever be my favorite X-Dream album. Whereas their Trip to transylvania debut established a beautifiul combination between morning Trance and Goa, this wonderful follow-up takes their style and Goa spirt to the next level. I sometimes write about an artist taking his style to the next level. Many times an artist doesn't or fails to evolve his or her sound in a way I feel has greatly improved. This album is a great example of a group that took their style to the next level. It seldom makes me wonder what could have been if X-Dream attempted to take this Goa style to yet another level beyond this one actually. But they didn't and so I seldom think about it. I love these artists' style and sound here, and their musical delivery throughout eight strong tracks. The album has a healthy running of 74:10 too.

01. Screw [The Truth] is a very interesing opening song. It's deeply atmospheric and involves layers of pouring rain coupled with rolling, crashing thunder effects. Several minutes take place where melodies are carefully added like particles, without a beat. I really like how this opening track captures the senses and exercises the mind into wondering where this mysterious direction will go. At nearly the third minute into the mix, the beat begins and all else follows. The skipping female-esque sounds are euphoric and well timed with the crashing thunder. The Goa melodies and other various sounds and elements are upbeat and well placed. Existent in the middle is a transition, without a beat. The music returning is slightly altered and more dynamic. Yes another transition takes place in the final third. The parts involving a skipping, emotive melody in combination to crashing sounder is excellent and I wish they took place more. This is a strong opening track. B+

02. Do You Believe has very warm, chill introductory approach. It's excellent, and now I see one of the aspects new school Goa generally seems to lack now days: Interesting introductions without the beat. The melodies are warm and developing. The song gradually builds into an infectious number. A smart transition or change up in sound and style takes place in the middle. From 7:33 to the end of the track is beautiful. They let the leading melody free to be felt as it soars through the heavens. B+

03. The Second Room takes less time to pick up. It begins fairly dark or at least not upbeat like the previous number. Echoed industrial effects skip and fade into the distance. It's a unique, catchy combination of sounds. The melodies are great, reanging from driving to very pleasent. This number compliments the album variety by providing a healthy dose of attitude and lower level drive from the previous soaring sun. A-

04. Zebra is another driving number with moments of evolution, development, and transition. This is a pretty good song but I find previous numbers more infectious in melodies as oppsoed to the sustained melody notes in this one. The supporting sounds seem stronger than the leading melody actually. I personally do find this track great however old school it is. It does add a piece of uniqueness to the album but nothing spectacular. B

05. Relaxed Vortex is an interesting, intriging Goa/Downtempo track. Goa artists' often save something like this for last. The tribal sounding change up in the middle of the number here is strong. A-

06. Our Own Happiness is excellent. Unlike Zebra, the previous track to maintain a relatively danceable feel, this is comprised of wonderful support as well as super leading melodies, soundscapes, melody structures, and other various, catchy sound textures and designs. This is a superb Goa dance song as well as for home listening. It's very energetic and how far it succeeds in developing itself doesn't cease to impress. This song is great fun and enjoyment from beginning to end. A track title has seldom been so deserving of the sounds in the song related to it. A

07. Eleven continues the rising, previous sound and number like marriage. This track is strong, driving, smooth, crisp. A beautiful leading melody arrives around 4:42 and returns again at 6:58. The supporting sounds only compliment. A powerful return to sound, emphasis on beat and other various enhancements gives this already healthy rocket a second boost of energy in the final third. A-

08. Aurorix is a faster number than the previous songs. I wonder why X-Dream didn't put the downtempo track 5 as the closing track but it's not a big deal. This is a Goa album after all, not made for the clubs thankfully. I can let go whether to dance or home listen without mainstream intent affecting my freedom to explore the music however I desire. In short, this final number is good. It is not however the strongest track on the album. A gradually developing melody structure slides through a transition from 5:16 to around 5:32. A fresh Goa melody arrives 5:54 and makes the song feel more spontaneous, fun, and dynamic. This improves a the solid number and closes the album nicely. It is my least favorite track on the album but I like it. B+

In Conclusion, this is the best X-Dream ever made in my opinion. 5 years later and 10 years later (and now beyond that) it still sounds excellent. No matter how much X-Dream seems to occasionally disappointment me now days with their several not so good tracks per album, my mind often comes back to their best main albums: We Created Our Own Happiness and Radio. The latter is a super well done Psytrance album for the darkside, but it isn't Goa. We Created Our Own Happiness is X-Dream's last Goa album. It is their most developed album and for many people it is THE X-Dream album. It is motivational, inspirational, energetic, mysterious, enchanting (at times), emotive, and one powerful. This is a powerful album. It is memorable thanks to an exceptionally healthy and strong list of tracks. This is also one of the most wonderful sequels in Goa/Psy-Trance and in electronic music. I can think of two other album sequels I found impressive. Astral Projection - Another World and Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger. However this is filled with more light and in that sense, beauty.

Favorite Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7.

A-

Samples / Buy here:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ava/ava1cd159.html

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=2165

Did you know? My first review for this album is on page 1 of this thread way back from 2001?

• 6 months later...

:posford: In my alltime top 3 albums. It doesn't get any better than this. Even after eleven!! years. Awesome.

When you put it like that I feel god damn old. :lol: And yeah, this album is one of my all time favorites as well. Still holds up quality, still feels re-freshing to listen to, makes you want to do da bootie shake, and whatnot else! :D 10/10 for sure!

When you put it like that I feel god damn old. :lol: And yeah, this album is one of my all time favorites as well. Still holds up quality, still feels re-freshing to listen to, makes you want to do da bootie shake, and whatnot else! :D 10/10 for sure!

Maybe thats because you actually are old?! :D

Yesterday listened to Eleven and damn I love this track!

• 1 year later...

one of my all time favourite goa trance albums and thé goa trance album of x-dream!!! nothing like radio (which is also fantasticly wicked but not goa trance)....

a must have if you like goa trance....."oldschool or newschool" .....gorgeous and elaborate.....hypnotic like dr mesmer's eyes....... :-))

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

UrPzp5N.jpg

Artist: X-Dream
Title: We Created Our Own Happiness
Label: Tunnel Records
Date: 1997

01. 09'04" Screw [The Truth]
02. 07'45" Do You Believe
03. 08'23" The Second Room(A-Trip)
04. 09'09" Zebra
05. 07'16" Relaxed Vortex
06. 08'06" Our Own Happiness
07. 11'07" Eleven
08. 07'39" Aurorix

This is an odd project for me. I barely remember what Trip to Trancesylvania sounded like and I hadn't heard Irritant. So that left me with Radio which...how can I put this politely...wasn't for me. People described it as a perfect album and I just didn't see it. Perfect?

A perfect album to nap to. Did the original come with tabs of acid? Not for me as I said, but this album is a whole nother story. Like all groups their sound has evolved (although these days I can't tell you what they sound like today) and they didn't do goa trance forever. They had some good EP releases from like the Brain Forest EP and the last track on the Frog EP and I would like to think that their sound is an acquired taste. Then along comes this beast and it has something that appeals to everyone. Known as the zebra record, it is in my opinion, their highest achievement.

Screw(The Truth)- Thunder cracks as effects leave this in a dark place. Howling synths fly overhead like a model plane and it ain't until 2 minutes that we pick up the momentum. It's a slow builder as new sounds come in and add to the thick atmosphere. The little break has so many textures and synths that trying to focus on the whole thing is a treat. Beautiful layers where no one lead dominates, but they all fit together in a chorus of melody. The moody pads and the robotic voice near the end are the cherry on the cake of this progressive goa treat. Superb.

Do You Believe?- Yes sir. Yes I do. And the soft melody to begin the track definitely helps. Soothing and calm, but at the same time deliciously clear and evil. It just growls with intent while also floating innocently above. The main lead that all goa heads know and love streaks high above your ears, carefree and shiny. Call it another slow builder and what it builds is tension. We get that goa flavor at 4 minutes but it's not overwhelming. Just enough to keep you in tune. It pulsates, rising and falling, when another lead is twisted like a pretzel. Very spinworthy and mystical. Again not a stomper but more of the thinking mans goa.

The Second Room(A-Trip)- Perhaps the most well known X-Dream track. Glitchy effects surround a ringing as the tell tale beginning, but all you need to know is the main melody which curls around the arms and legs as if it were a python. I'm sure it could kill you quickly, but where's the fun in that? It's not heavy, it's light and airy, with a practiced agility, but it has the effect of a bulldozer. Persistent bounce is here as new leads unfurl keeping the feel with the slow twist of the filter cutoff. The break at the end combines "that" melody with some spacey effects to bring it home. Stellar.

Zebra- Geez, another 9 minute track? They love to build don't they? This track comes right out and says, "Hey I'm goa, nice to meet ya." The break has a 80's analog Miami Vice feel to it. I dunno, it's just the way I felt. A hypnotic ringing moves up and down above a 303 which sounds interesting. It's very clear and I really like it, but it doesn't have the same...grabbing quality as the other tracks. So instead of working with melody to entrance it went a more circuitous route. Loved it.

Related Vortex- "This is a very old song. It's about ganja."

Know what a forest in space sounds like? Me neither, but this could be it. It's a downtempo track with a pulsating bass line and a glitch like quality. Very cold and isolating. The sample about ganja comes in with some tribal drums but it didn't really appeal to me. I also felt like this should've predictably been placed at the end. Who knows, maybe that's why they put it here.

Our Own Happiness- See, now this is how your supposed to handle a title track. Own it. Another very famous lead bounces about carefree as the track begins to thicken out. Feel it building? You know something great is coming, kinda like when I would drop my breakdancing moves. Yeah, just get out of the way. This is their stormer, with a chip-on-the shoulder attitude. They allow it to deconstruct and then sure as hell build it right back up again. They.Mean.Business. Pure class.

Eleven- Do you think they named it this because it is over 11 minutes long? A bubbly 303 takes its sweet time...I mean it's got 11 minutes to sort itself out. As another sound rises and pans across your ears, it takes an almost minimal approach. 5 minutes in and it is as smooth as silk if not a little boring for me. I love how well placed all the sounds are and how fluid it is as it is most definitely a progressive goa track. The goa melody at 9 minutes fits in so well, I wish it could've been a bigger part of the effort. Not my favorite, but I can appreciate it.

Aurorix- The foot is definitely back on the gas pedal and with the price of gas these days, this track could never have been made today. The bass sound is super rich and bouncy below the sticky synth sounds. A speedy leads compliments the bass as yet more leads collaborate in a very full meal. The break showcases the leads' pinpoint accuracy as the track changes direction. It's still a bubbly affair though, as it makes its way through the 2nd break. Subliminal, not heavy handed, but of rapid pace. Super stuff, gut I think this should've been where Related Vortex was.

I loved this album. Absolutely loved it. Every sound was so shockingly clear that you could focus on each one and that just added to the enjoyment. It's like it was quiet, but I could hear EVERYTHING sharply. Not to mention all the well known melodies and drifting leads that just continued to build throughout the track. Even the tracks that I thought I would dislike were pretty damn good. No stompers per se (maybe the title track), but a definite classic. This was X-Dream at their peak. You should run, not walk and go get this. If you can find it. I just noticed something on the insert photo. Is that...Balky Bartokomous?

Psyshop with the Avatar Re-Release

Mdk

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember having a good time and absolutely loving this album during X'mas - 2013. Great album, wonderful memories :)

An absolute essential for any Goa Trance fan.

We created our own happiness, that's right. That's what we did :) - I Love It!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...