Hallucinogen - Twisted

Children

And this is GOA. THIS IS THE GOA I WAS LOOKING FOR.

THIS IS GOA. GOA .GOA ...

... yackidi yackidi yackidi ...

sorry if I'm screaming but finally I've came home.

... I knew I had come home. It was this really crazy feeling of nostalgia/deja vu or something, as if I were already familar with it in some peculiar way. Same feeling the first time I walked into a trance party (with Solstice playing as I entered the club). I knew I had found home.

Ah, welcome home guys :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

The CD that brought me into Goa... I have almost nothing but good things to say about this album.

1. LSD is so uplifting, complex, mind expanding and other superlatives I don't have in mind right now. One of the best tracks I know. Builds slowly but surely to a final explosion of fireworks and cosmic ascent. I also really like the bassline, smooth (the way I feel it) and that is leaving enough space for the melodies. Hallucinogen strikes right from the beginning with a hit track to set our mind for the rest of the journey - "He's loosing his mind, and feel just going" describes it perfectly. Breathtaking. Funny but it took me like 10 listens to appreciate this track, unlike the others...

2. Orphic Thrench: I like the way things change from cosmic melodies to a bit "darker" and deeper atmosphere. It has some groove that makes you shake your head. A rougher sound with higher melodies in the background. In my opinion it's a good track to dance on.

3. Alpha Centauri, the trip to the stars... This is what pops into my mind when I hear this track. At the beginning he continues with the groove of Orphic Thrench but soon after the melody is introduced and the cosmic feeling is taking the lead. It's one of the best examples of what I would call "spiral melodies" (I can't describe it properly). The melodies keep coming and going, until the end when it's combined with voices that shift to electronic sound and it's pure bliss...

4. Dark Magus takes us again to darker fields. But just the right amount of darkness after the enlightment of Alpha Centauri. At the beginning the melody itself delivers some groove, and I kinda like it. I don't even think it's complete darkness. It's like dark and light are combined. Great atmosphere track, but the melody is not the top... In my opinion it's a good intro track for Shamanix, so I feel like it's a bit a transition track.

5. Shamanix is not like anything I've heard before. A very weird track, with great rythm, and in the beginning great melodies. It seems that the melodies are made from screamings, it's really unusual. I just don't really like the way the track evolves from 7:00 - 7:30, too bad...

6. Snarling Black Mabel slows things a bit at the beginning, but only to build the atmosphere and the melody for the middle of the track. Very entrancing track, another deeper one.

7. Fluoro Neuro Sponge is the adrenaline burst!!! Starts right away with madness rhythm and brainstorming sounds, you can't stand impervious to it, you're accelerated to light-speed in just 30 seconds. It's the perfect atmosphere for dancing. The track builds itself exactly the way you want it to be. I'm in love with the 2:41 transition, and the way it builds just after... OMG!!! I'm breathless, makes my heart beat too fast. Then a melody that I don't like THAT much comes in, but it's ok. But at 5:06 it's great again, too bad it's the beginning of the end...

8. Solstice is the most emotional track after LSD (in my opinion). A felted, smooth atmosphere (especially the bassline), just the perfect thing to end an album. Constantly switching between emotional melody to danceable one. There is also this voice, so emotional, so relaxing... A PERFECT ending!

My highlights are: 1, 2, 3, 7, 8. The tracks that I enjoy listening by themselves are: 1, 7, 8.

This album is a journey to your inner (the darker tracks) cosmic (the cosmic ones) feelings. It has transitions between the tracks (except for Dark Magus - Shamanix) and it adds a lot for the "journey" atmosphere (have you noticed how much have I used this word? I have to find a synonym). Sounds, melodies, rhythm, everything is set for a trip that is one of a kind, you just have to get the CD, find yourself 70 minutes of calm and press the "play" button. You won't regret it (at least I hope).

First review completed!

• 5 weeks later...

HALLUCINOGEN - TWISTED

TWISTED RECORDS

Posted Image

Track list:

01. 06'41" LSD

02. 07'17" Orphic Trench

03. 10'17" Alpha Centauri

04. 07'30" Dark Magus

05. 09'59" Shamanix

06. 07'24" Snarling Black Mabel

07. 06'54" Fluoro Neuro Sponge

08. 08'06" Solstice

Twisted is considered by many to be THE definitive Goa album. I would not go as far as to say that. This is one of the first Goa albums that brought the entire world of Electronica/PSY to new heights. Regardless of what you think or how you compartmentalize things, this album continues to stand invulnerable and untouchable as one of the most groundbreaking and influential albums and achievements in Psychedelic Goatrance music today.

This is how you innovate. By experimenting. By taking risks! I'm convinced drugs played a major role here along with developed skills, talent, passion, imagination, knowledge, and awareness. Twisted is deep on multiple levels. The listener can enjoy the album in muliple ways. All are highly effective and so this is a rare wonder as to how the artist ever gained the insight into its making. Impressive is that much of the cutting on this album seems to have been done in analog. I presume Simon Postford had not initially imagined what a success this would be for generations to come. The true masterpieces seem to be the ones that never had any intent being masterpieces to begin with. This is because the artists were too invested and focused on their work to care.

1. L.S.D. to this day remains one of the most wonderful songs in Goa. The opening sound I find indescribable to date. People throughout the world have been affected by this sound in various ways. There are elements of such beauty, emotion, and innovation throughout this song. It's magical. Furthermore, it's wonderful to listen to. The entire trip is both mind-expanding and beautiful in more ways than one. A

2. Orphic Trench is much more charged and aggressive than the opening. This is a high octane, driving piece loaded with excellent sound alterations, melodies, acidlines, and rhythms. It's storming and badass. Yes badass would be slang, correct word. When the sound changes around 3:40 things get interesting. This is when the world begins to deepen and evolve. Imagine going deeper, further out into intriging zones unexplored, and exploring them. This is a very imaginative and climactic number. I love the skipping effect during the beginning and end. Such sound alterations compliment the intro/outro. A

3. Alpha Centauri is the next song that most impresses me after L.S.D. The previous gem was excellent and this has more feeling and build up. It's elegant! The melody work here is some of the best Simon Postford has ever done. It's outstanding. The song is superb. A

4. Dark Magus is the deep, dark, and groovy follow up. It becomes increasingly more impressive as it progresses with chiming, more industrialized sounds (catchy!) and melodies mixed into the kick. Although the leading melody that arrives somewhere in the middle is less involved and intricate than leads on previous tracks, it's excellent. There are less layers of sounds here, but the delivery of what is used is strikingly groovy. Few people have felt this track is like a bridge to the more elaborate, thought-provoking songs. This is its own complete song however. The sound and style generated is captivating. Similar in the dark/driving concept to a song Chi-A.D. would later make called Path Finder (although different and totally fresh), Dark Magnus is a storming, evolving ride throughout. A

5. Shamanix seems to be the love it-or-hate it track on the album. It's a radical change from every other song on this album, and probably different from anything you'll ever hear. This song is like a a living, crazy, dance arena built from chopped up sound waves taken from screaming souls in Hell. This song is loaded with melodies mixed in and attached together by high pitched screaming sounds. I love the 52 second introduction pieced together by cut off voices. It's very original, artistic, and catchy. This is a very intriguing piece for the first several minutes. While listening to this in my car sterio the sound began grating on my ears and nerves unfortunately. From around 2:57 to 3:02 is an example of the "too sharp for some sound systems" sound I'm referring to. This thing almost sounded as piercing as a whistle during few points, as if the volume was raised too high on the screaming sounds during mastering/production. Then I listened to this song from the beginning, on my headphones, and things seemed less sharp in the negative sense at times. I have a great BOSE system but for some reason that wasn't working well with this song at times. I really like the risk taking work throughout this thing. A beautiful leading melody enters the world at 6:48 and everything snakes around at high altitude, intensity, and speed. I think this is an impressive part. The song becomes so dense and twisted with sounds, it's over-the-top nuts! Another part I really like is at 7:32 when a fast, unique, blazing, and skipping melody carries through the more organic sounding madness. This is one of the rare songs I hated until I switched music systems where that irritating sound had less advantage to irritate me. At times it poked it's head out but just briefly before I could be bothered enough to care. Regardless, this track could have been better tweaked with some attention to certain matters. Love or hate the song as a whole, Shamanix is one of the most original songs out there. A

6. Snarling Black Mabel is another rough and aggressive, melodic song like Orphic Trench and Dark Magus. This one however is not as groovy and engaging as either. Initially I wondered why few people seem to include this in their favorites and now I know why. It's an interesting and good, maybe great song. There are some sweet, waving, distorted melodies and sounds over lapping the percussion and bass lines and I can't say anything sounds like this track, even for Simon's work. However when you compare it to others here it just isn't on that higher, mesmerizing level. A-

7. Fluoro Neuro Sponge is a return to excellent, infectious melody and sound creation. It isn't chaotic and twisted like some other songs here. This involves more of that wonderful, energetic punch and depth, engaging melodies, rhythms, sounds, and energy. This is one of the best songs on the second half of the album. A

8. Solstice is comprised of beauty and aggression in the sounds department. Although I enjoy the opening more if I had to compare, this piece seems very connected to it relative to its power to convey feelings through melodies. The moments where the beat escapes the melody are gripping. Solstice means the time when the planet is furthest away from the sun. It relates to change, different times, and events. People interested should check the meanings behind and within all of the songs here. This artist made more than an album. Take Alex Grays artwork for example. It's more than just artwork because there is so much to identify and explore. It's deep. A

Relative to the final track - Twisted is one of the few Goa-Trance albums I know (actually I can't think of any others) that has a bonus track. While Solstice ends at around 8:00 minutes in, it continues until 17:40 long. A new track begins around 14:01... and it's interesting, an ambient/chill piece but so short. Part of me prefers he'd have put this as a track right after Solstice as opposed to making us sit in silence or jump forward nine minutes. But it's no big deal. Some will enjoy to relax, the state, until this appears. A peaceful closing or something else that also seems to be a peaceful closing...

In conclusion, an artist can have the most state-of the-art equipment in the world, but if he or she is unaware how to use it, it's useless. How well the machine is used, and who both knowledgable and aware the machine helmer is makes the delivery entirely different. Not only did this artist know how to use his equipment. He used it better than virtually any artist at the time, creating infectious, alien sounds, rhythms, melodic structures, and various other soundscapes that create an unforgettable experience. Simon Postford did a plethora of experimentation to a successful delivery and degree not yet accomplished in Electronica at the time. No artist could dublicate his style for some time either for the most part. The programming here is superb. The sequencing, mixing, melodies, and other various innovative sound coordinations are some of the best I've ever listened to. The now dated production confirms its classic sound and authenticity. The imagination behind this album lifted up Electronica, Goa-Trance and the world of PSY to a whole new visionary level. It showed what can be achieved when an artist invests his aware spirit into an album. Nothing has or will replace this album. It can be re-released and re-mastered a thousand times. The spirit remains, unconditional and free. A decade later artists have tried to emulate and copy the raw, organic work of Twisted. Many have achieved results and failed to sound close let alone original in relation to this album. More commonly, various artists have been inspired by this album to create their own styles and albums. In that sense this debut has had quite an impact in the PSY world. It released in 1995 with songs allegedly made between 1992-1994...(!!). Speaking of the score, it's difficult for me to place numbered decimals for the A scores (i.e: 9.3, 9.4) because all of the tracks here are more or less great, excellen, and superb. Several I find more catchy, engaging, and memorable than others. We all seem to have our favorites of course. On a deeper level, certain melodies and other various sounds seem to be alive or rather conscious throughout this album. I have never said that about any album before or after hearing this one to date. Goa lovers should have this wonderful release in their collection. It's superb and includes some of the best songs ever produced in Electronica, PSY, and GOA, period.

Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8.

A

Samples / Order

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ease.asp?id=165

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since this was released back in 1995. I was only 12 years late in purchasing it. :P I picked this one up about four months ago. What can I say, I didnt start listening to psy until 5 years ago, and after that didnt really know about it.. It doesnt matter though, Im glad I bought this. Its never to late for a masterpiece like this. Two words MAGICAL & SPIRITUAL. I can now after listening to this album countless times understand why people who experienced the true goa scene and its music hate todays full on, pop cheese. None of the music being released as psy these days even comes close to what this album does. Amazing!!! 12 years later, and still better than todays stuff. :DB)

• 3 months later...

Since this was released back in 1995. I was only 12 years late in purchasing it. :P

12 years later, and still better than todays stuff. :DB)

I heard this album for the first time in 2007 also. I wrote my first review for this above. I bought this album (two copies just in case it wouldn't be available one day) around 2002 and kept them sealed (another still is) for a special occasion. But that occasion never came. I moved to Florida for several years and upon moving back in 2005 I still refused to open it. Maybe I thought this played on a trip but that trip never came. One day I said fuck it. What if that "special" time never comes and I live my whole life waiting for the right time to hear this album? I don't want to live like that. So I put it in my music player and.... silence. Upon first listen this album sounded so different from The Lone Deranger. The sounds are more organic and emotional at times. And then I wondered how amazing this would be had I heard it back in 1995. But I was 14 when this album came out. I didn't even know what GOA was until I was 17. And furthermore, I was meant to hear it when I did. Why fight the Universe for the way things simply are? ;)

Correction/Update: My review was updated in Janurary, 2008. This is one of the very few (less than 8) albums in Goa I give a solid A to.

• Like 1

My review was updated in Janurary, 2008. This is one of the very few (less then 8) albums in Goa I give a solid A too.

And the other ones? Just out of interest :rolleyes:

Not much to really add to all the reviews on here, amazing album. However, i personally think that Lone Deranger tops it so it gets a 9/10 as such from me.

And the other ones? Just out of interest :rolleyes:

1. Pleiadians - I.F.O. - A

2. Hallucinogen - Twisted - A

3. Astral Projection - Trust in Trance - A

4. Dimension 5 - Transdimensional (Re-Mastered) - A

5. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger - A

6. Transwave - Backfire - A

I'd agree with all of Jon's suggestions.... except the utterly dire Dancing Galaxy, which is where AP suddenly forgot how to write decent goa melodies and turned more "generic". Liquid Sun is awesome, though, and doesn't suffer this problem.

Jon forgot to mention Chi-A.D. - Earthcrossing though. Which deserves to be in that list.

Edit: Ooh, I was irate when I posted that... Dancing Galaxy isn't horrible (don't go near the stuff that followed it), but it's a LOT less inspired than Trust In Trance.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Pleiadians - I.F.O. - A

2. Hallucinogen - Twisted - A

3. Astral Projection - Trust in Trance - A

4. Dimension 5 - Transdimensional (Re-Mastered) - A

5. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger - A

6. Transwave - Backfire - A

ah good good. just checking i had all of them, which i do :)

I would also add doofs lets turn on to that list, and, as chis said, chi a.d´s earthcrossing as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this album about a year ago and man is it mind blowing

favorite tracks are 1,2,3,4 and 8 the others are just good.

even though LSD is just the title track, the whole album is one mind altering experience

when it goes to track 2 its the LSD journey continued

• 9 months later...

9/10 there aren't many albums that equal, and only one that exceeds it.

best tracks 1, 5, 7

3/6 are quite interesting and powerful yet different as well. However not quite as solid as the latter.

Great flow between the tracks as well, a great album with much listening time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Posted Image

Artist: Hallucinogen

Title: Twisted

Label: Dragonfly Records (Re-released on Twisted Records)

Released: 16th October 1995

Style: Psychedelic Trance

Tracklist

1. LSD (6:43)

2. Orphic Thrench (7:22)

3. Alpha Centauri (10:16)

4. Dark Magus (7:31)

5. Shamanix (9:59)

6. Snarling Black Mabel (7:45)

7. Fluoro Neuro Sponge (6:41)

8. Solstice (8:06)

9. Angelic Particles (Remix) (3:40)

“I believe that with the advent of acid we have discovered a new way to think, and it had to do with piecing together new thoughts in your mind. Why is it that people think it’s so evil? What is it about it that scares people so deeply? Even the guy that invented it What is it? Because they’re afraid that there’s more to reality than they have in front of them that there are doors that they’re afraid to go in and they don’t want us to go in either because if we go in we might learn something that they don’t know and that makes us a little out of their control.”

The opening sample to LSD on Hallucinogen’s debut album Twisted is an amazing verbal representation of the music. Replace the drug LSD with this album & it still fits. Twisted is like a psychedelic drug, it opens new doors showing us that there is more to reality than we see right in front of us. Listening to music can have a profound effect on the brain that I believe Simon Posford managed to show way back in 1995 with his seminal release Twisted on Dragonfly Records. Long considered to be a classic in psychedelic trance Twisted is well deserved in the praise it receives. The whole album is full of wonderful melodies never getting into the levels of cheese that regular trance often flirts with. There are a few cheesy moments in the album, for example the end of Shamanix, but they are always on the acceptable side they are fun and not the sort that is going to make you groan. Under these melodies is a plethora of psychedelic sounds, well layered samples and a 4-4 rhythm that while not overly fast gives an energy that could make you dance for hours on end with just the music to support you.

I first discovered this album shortly after it was released in 1995 and I was instantly blown away. From the extremely trippy melodies in LSD to the excellent synth work in Orphic Trench and Alpha Centauri as well as some spacey atmospheres with bright colourful sounds, the tight simplicity of Dark Magus or the fun if slightly cheesy sound of Shamanix. The dirtiness of Snarling Black Mabel, the insane amount of layers built up in Fluoro Neuro Sponge and the beautiful melodic voices screaming from another dimension in Solstice this album is between great and amazing in every second of music, even the ambient version of Angelic Particles at the end is spine tinglingly good. Nearly a decade and a half later I still listen to this album regularly & each time I listen to it I am still blown away by just how amazing the music is. For me this is the most psychedelic upbeat album I have listened to and it is indeed a classic in the genre and Simon Posford’s greatest achievement in trance music. The only thing I’d like to see different is possibly the order of the tracks, I’d probably put Shamanix at the end with Snarling Black Mabel nearer the beginning along with LSD and Dark Magus. All in all though this album is a must have for any fan of Psychedelic trance. The re-release on Twisted Records is still readily available at their website so there really is no excuse not to have this milestone in electronic music.

Track By Track

1. LSD

LSD opens with a sample describing the drug LSD and people’s fear of it, a profound statement probably a little over the top for a drug that basically tricks the brain into thinking it is experiencing something profound. The sample though is very thought provoking when considering the music as the music is a real and natural experience while still having the same effects. The whole track is wonderful from start to finish with a great leading melody, energetic but non dominating beats and a lot of trippy sounds. There are a few too many LSD samples in the middle that I could do without but overall it’s a great track.

2. Orphic Trench

For me Orphic Trench is all about the synth line. It still has wonderful melodies, trippy noises and a great rhythm but the synths in this track just raise the bar. As I listen to it I feel like my head is being lifted higher and higher why staying exactly in the same place. Imagine sitting in your living room as your mind soars high over the world totally detached from your body but you are still one and the same entity. You can see both realities at the same time, the mundane & the divine but they merge together so it is difficult to know which is which. This is wonderful music.

3. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri is a great mix of the elements of the first to tracks. Wonderful melodies and amazing synth work but instead of overlapping they make way for each other as if knowing that each should be experienced fully. The effect is a very psychedelic track that has spacey atmospheres with bright colours and feels like I am rushing through hyperspace with the walls of reality vibrating on every side impossibly close yet infinitely distant. The dimensions twist and turn and if you try and concentrate on one specific point your mind might be torn apart. Step back view everything with an open mind from a distance & let the unreality of everything wash over you.

4. Dark Magus

This track feels tighter, whereas the preceding three felt they were wide open spaces with infinite possibilities in the landscape and beyond the horizon, Dark Magus feels like it is an infinitesimally small point crammed with all the information & emotion of a much larger entity. Like a singularity with extreme mass but no dimensions, as with the preceding track, thinking too much about it is not what is needed. Simple acceptance of what is difficult to comprehend is the only way to understanding the tight complex music. More wonderful synths, simple hypnotising melodies & not so much energy as before but still enough to power the listener into a frenzy.

5. Shamanix

Albeit by far the cheesiest track here with bright, fun melodies, gaudy samples (“The way I feel I don’t expect to go to sleep for a year I’m on Fucking Fire!”) and a four to the floor rhythm Shamanix is a standout track. The cheesiness is never annoying and in 14 years has never gotten old. I still love the twists and turns the track takes especially in the final part of the track when the melody shifts and completely changes direction. There are more sounds crammed in chaotically and at times it feels dirtier than the other tracks but that dirtiness is so acidic that it crawls inside my head and just starts scratching at the inner walls of my consciousness. The atmospheres created are amazing and each turn the music makes always brings a big grin to my face. Shamanix is an excellent track with bags of psychedelic energy so it is literally bursting at the seams.

6. Snarling Black Mabel

Whether Snarling Black Mabel is a play on the disgusting British lager Carling Black Label I don’t know but what I do know is that I would rather listen to this track once than have free Carling for life (really it is a pretty nasty drink). Snarling Black Mabel however is another tight colourful track with trippy hyperspace sounds but instead of the usual rushing feeling I usually get from tracks that remind me of Hyperspace I get a stationary feeling like the air around me is melting and some alternate reality, one of vivid images and twisted sounds, is creeping through. The way the synth melody seems to twist round itself like a helix in the final few minutes is an incredible experience for the mind to go through.

7. Fluoro Neuro Sponge

We have a much more simplistic intro here with a more dominant beat & more obvious melodies however it all has that Hallucinogen touch to it and with Hallucinogen nothing ever remains simple. Once the track gets going the number of layers slowly increases until we have an incredibly dense track with an insane amount of things going on in the foreground, background to the left, right and centre. The way the melody evolves is a joy to behold and by the final run it is as uplifting a track as I have heard in the genre to date. The high pitched runs of spacey sounds seem to come from every direction at once directed on the melody and melting into seamlessly. Nice stuff.

8. Solstice

Solstice has one of the most memorable melodies, it is simple and repetitive but sounds so good and can be hypnotic. Once again the synths and melody don’t overlap but make way for each other as if they are in awe of each other and not wanting to impose on the others magic knowing that to do so might be too much for the listener to be able to cope with. Some of the sounds feel like they are an orchestra of soulful voices screaming out from behind a veil of reality but as their souls are so strong we can still hear them on this side albeit very slightly and they sound incredibly ethereal. The energy in the track builds & builds until the end it all crashes down to end the album.

9. Angelic Particles (Remix)

After 6 minutes of silence there is a hidden track, an ambient version of Angelic Particles and has a wonderful atmosphere. I would have liked this to be longer than 3 and a half minutes because it is a beautiful haunting track with some twisted female wailing and lush background drones creating a dark, spacey atmosphere. A nine minute track would have been great instead of 6 minutes of silence. Still, it is not in keeping with the rest of the album so is just a nice treat on the end of a great album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

4. Dark Magus is awesome!!!

It's filled with edge and daring synth work rhythms. I love it. I love virtually every track on this album. I think it's because of the emotive edge coupled with the super songs back-to-back here. The only track I'm not in love with is Snarling Black Mabel, though it's a strong track ahead of its time. I enjoy listening to it with the rest of the album straight through.

This is the one of the most infectious and driving Goa tracks ever produced. It's an evolving, psychedelic demon dipped in acid with a focused direction and energy whereas previous songs were less-linear in structure and design. I love every track on this album. For our time now, this album is incredible sounding. Whenever I say 1995 to those who hadn't heard it before, their eyes go wide, often followed by a WOW. Furthermore, the emotive elements on this album make it overall better IMO than The Lone Deranger, which is more or less superb.

I really hope the third Hallucinogen album is wonderful for our time now. Twisted is magical, and arguably the greatest electronica album ever produced. Every time I hear this album it is a totally different experience!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This album is just epic! 1995? I can't believe it, these tracks were ahead of their time, especially the melodies. Just unbelievable! I first thought I enjoyed The Lone Deranger more, because I really didn't give twisted a chance because it was older(Like always, goa seems to be getting better when you go backwards in time.), but hoo-boy was I wrong. I can't believe how emotional these melodies can be, how rich the effects and how deep the atmospheres are. Seriously, 1995? How in the world..

• 1 month later...

This album is just epic! 1995? I can't believe it, these tracks were ahead of their time, especially the melodies. Just unbelievable! I first thought I enjoyed The Lone Deranger more, because I really didn't give twisted a chance because it was older(Like always, goa seems to be getting better when you go backwards in time.), but hoo-boy was I wrong. I can't believe how emotional these melodies can be, how rich the effects and how deep the atmospheres are. Seriously, 1995? How in the world..

Same thing, I started with The Lone Deranger and ended up with Twisted being my "old school" all time favorite

• 4 months later...

While most people tend to point toward LSD, Dark Magus and Shamanix as their favorite songs on this album, mine is definitely Orphic Thrench. Those others are great, but something about that kind of gritty, aggressive lead sound just grabs me. Similar sounds in other songs do that for me too, like Daft Punk's "Da Funk". Maybe it's the metalhead in me. :D

Orphic Thrench just seems to have so much energy to me.

• 3 months later...

I really love fluoro neuro sponge, it's the best trance song ever. It got

several different timesignatures and it's got really psychedelic melodies that

evolve throughout the track.

Exellent album, a classic!

You mean it has 4/4 time signature...as do most popular and electronic dance music. Simon is wicked at twisting time but he still follows a rigid 4/4 signature.

Time signatures are very confusing...for most club, dance, popular music uses 4/4 because it's symmetry works great for dancing and trancing. Simon does mess with time signatures a lot on Shpongle. Where he says, "there are far less rules."