Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Twin Sharkfins

Guest Stathis_gti

Psy at his best!

Not too poppy or trancy goa-trance, very weird synths & FX.

With an evil playfull touch.

Just got to love it!!!

LOrd of the dance is the best track imo. It has a belgian techno atmosphere. :P ARRGGHH i love it. i love it. i love it.

LOrd of the dance is the best track imo.  It has a belgian techno atmosphere. :P  ARRGGHH i love it. i love it. i love it.

285925[/snapback]

Belgian techno atmosphere ? :huh:

What is that ?

To me, it perfectly captures the essence of Goa Trance, with eastern structured melodies...;)

Belgian techno atmosphere ?  :huh:

What is that ?

To me, it perfectly captures the essence of Goa Trance, with eastern structured melodies...;)

286071[/snapback]

I think he's reffering to the distorted melodies? BTW I sure hope Dave and Mugmez will give us a follow up to that incredible tune :)

Belgian techno atmosphere ?  :huh:

What is that ?

286071[/snapback]

Lots of distortion & reverb. Very much used by artist over here.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

BATTLE OF THE FUTURE BUDDHAS - TWIN SHARKFINS

BOOM! RECORDS

*Updated January, 2008

Posted Image

Track listi:

01. 02'10" Outro (Lost And Never To Be Found Mix)

02. 08'05" Life In The Trenches Of Hyperspace

03. 08'29" Tigerhill

04. 09'00" Neuroglider

05. 08'00" Leave The World Behind

06. 09'16" Transpartamental

07. 08'09" The Other Way Around

08. 10'27" Lord Of The Dance

09. 07'16" Marsmellow (Miditation Mix)

2004/05

With exception to Tigerhill, Neuroglider, Lord Of The Dance and Marsmellow, I initially did not like or understand this album for several years. My impression until the date of this review followed up in 2008, was that all the songs basically sounded too repetitive, filled with distorted, shaky, wobbly sounds I rarely considered melodies throughout. The album grew tired as the songs progressed with their heavy, industrial, and psychedelic repetition. Few tracks stood out to me and I barely considered more than 4 good. This was my first impression back around 2004/05 when finally found a copy available on saikosounds I believe.

2007 and beyond to date

I have come to really appreciate and enjoy this album over time. It may a bit much on the senses listening straight through or not. Their style is so unique, innovative, and different. Twin Sharkfins and the BofFB style in general is unlike anything I've ever heard. This is also one of the darkest goatrance albums ever. If you think albums need horror movie samples to sound evil or dark you're unaware how powerful the human mind is. BotFB are one of the very few artists that seem to capitalize on distortions, distorted melodies. Some tracks may seem like not much more than one distorted melody on top of another and another distorted sound and melody, mixed to a charged beat and bassline. However you could sum up in one sentence that Lord of the Rings is about a long walk to a mountain where a character must destroy a ring by freeing it to the lava. My point is that there's much more to this album, it's deeper, more intelligent than one may assume. Nonetheless there are several songs I have difficulty finding good or darn catchy, to me, but to each their own. I wanted so much to like every song on he album but I can't delude myself. Maybe one day my perspective will change. Regardless, we all have different senses and feelings. We all seem to have songs we favor and find more appealing to our ears and mind over others. I think it's interesting to see why certain people favor certain tracks. For me their style, distorted melodies and rhythms are more catchy on certain songs than others. I'm glad I kept faith in this album because some of the tracks are really something. This includes the awesome, final Ambient Trance song especially.

1. Outro (Lost And Never To Be Found Mix) is mainly an atmospheric track. It involves some twisted, industrial, distorted sounds set to ambient keys. The first twenty-five seconds I find very interesting. Not much takes place however. This piece sets the omnious, strange, dark mood for things to come, coated in a very short running time and even more mystery. It does it job for what's to come. No more. No less. N/A

2. Life In The Trenches Of Hyperspace, the second song is pretty good. There's many various psychedelics throughout this song. I like the change up in rhythm around 5:32 as well as the machine gun drums. This is an interesting number filled with many ideas, however it lacks a powerful, driving tide and/or a thick Goa band/leading melody. It's artistic what success this group seems to have with random noises that go clank in the nigiht. B / B+

3. Tigerhill is the first song where I really start to feel myself getting into the music. The melody at around 1:18 really halps. It's catchy, goatrance driven. That melody really stands out after the first less melodic songs. More melodies arrive and from the get-go everything had arrived all distorted and fucked up. I like the sound. It maintains a good beat and rhythm throughout to great effect due to distorting the sounds until they become this trippy, hypnotic wave. A transition takes place around the middle. Some eerie ambient effects enter towards the last third and the tempo changes. Those melodies are what makes this thing work best for me. This is my third favorite track on the album. A-

4. Neuroglider is one of my favorite songs on the album. It really puts me in a trance. Here is a song I can listen to over and over. I generally do not want it to end. From the opening driving sound to the final second, this is a track that proves: Less equals more. A-

5. Leave The World Behind is one of the tracks I favor least. I just don't find the melodies, sounds, and overall rhythm as gripping and infectious as the previous two tracks to date. Something really interesting takes place 3:26 that pushes this song up into the next, dynamic level. From that point forward this number pushes foward into a very bizarre and trippy ride. Another interesting part is around 5:16 to 5:39. To be honest I never thought this track was anything great and often found it difficult "get into" for some reason. I do however like the final minute or two for some reason. For some reason the chilling melody reminds me or a roller coaster filled with screaming souls in Hell, going crazy like a runaway train off the tracks. It's interesting how certain melodies can have such an effect on our brain but BofFB really know how to affect the psyche. B / B+

6. Transpartamental is one of the best tracks here. Originally I felt the main melody was too repetitive. It isn't. This is one of the most psychedelic songs I've ever heard. I love the thick, distorted, psychedelic melodies, rhythms, and various other sound textures. At strong, leading Goa melody takes place at 4:50. The band of sounds become very altered, distorted, and thick throughout this heavy number. Extra details involve the kickdrum rolled, sped up, and tweaked towards the final third. By this part the song is so juicy and heavy the general listener may not even notice. Try to catch the short, cool Indian Ha-la-lal-a sample towards the end. This is a powerful, driving world. A-

7. The Other Way Around has an interesting introduction. The voice sample is cool. heavier than the previous invitation. The leading melody in the first two minutes is pretty good. There are several melodies throughout, and a very cool one around 3:53 and another at 4:35. The track builds up and ascends in sound as more melodies pile up until around 5:13 where the track releases some streams and gains composure. Look for what appears to be an echoed dog bark in the final third. The industrial wind/ambient adds emphasis to an already rock hard, psychedelic beast. I find this less captivating than the previous song but it's very well done regardless. From 6:00 to around 7:15 I feel like a steam roller is rolling over me. Is that a good thing? I don't know but this part of the song sounds intense and uncomfortable in a disturbingly creative, memorable, and artistic way. B+

8. Lord Of The Dance is one of my favorite songs on the album. The melody around 0:43 is nice. I like how the melodies gradually feed into the distorted rhythm. While this track is not as psychedelic as previous songs, the emphasis on melodies here are rather refreshing. A very strong distorted band takes place from around 2:40 forward. Moreover, an unexpected melody takes place at around 3:58. This melody really enhances the now infectious band. The sounds quickly lose to the beat and silence gradually attracts sounds until 5:44 where a super, stand out, low pitched melody lead ignites. It's such a unique and well blended sound. It plays along perfectly with everything else. It's catchy! The song becomes even catchier when everything stops but a voice sample. At around 7:00, the tempo or rhythm is slightly altered. The entire track changes direction. The overall leading band seems altered and loaded with different engines, wings, and other accesseries of sound. This awesome change up takes place for another two minutes. The track than succeeds to revive or collect more energy and melodies after that. I love how dynamic and filled with juicy melodies and rhythm this song is throughout. It is one of the best songs this group has ever produced! This song is huge and ambitious, filled with animation, infectiosu elements, and various other details. A-

9. Marsmellow (Miditation Mix) is awesome. This is what I consider an Ambient Goatrance classic. It's a cult classic. It's innovative, emotional, arresting, and rich on the darkside, with sin being shed from its body like snake skin as it enters into an abyss of inextricable darkness. I most love the mood that all of this music creates, the melodies! They're so dark and powerful. Visual. Listening to this song always puts me in such a deep, contemplative mood. The sounds are highly effective in conveying sadness, tragedy, dark exploration, and death. The little, echoed, drum clicks work wonders and greatly enhance the powerful score. This is one of the best Ambient Goa songs ever made. I'm impressed! A

In Conclusion, the learning curve for me on this album was so steep that I didn't see myself making it. Such positive words throughout the internet and by some reviewers I consider very aware when it comes to scoring Goa albums gave me the courage to stick with this one over the years until I "got it." BotFB have one hell of a distinct style. As with all fresh styles, certain songs seem to be more catchy than others. The tracks often involve a deep and hypnotic rhythm and effect, constantly tweaked and altered as the song progresses. This album may pull the listener into its heavily wooded, deep, dark, and aggressive world without him or her ever realizing. The last song on this album may be the most powerful, dark ambient Goatrance song I have ever heard in my life. Regardless of the final song's true story epilogue, I visualize a ship of sorts, immune to lava, and traveling on a sea of fire in one direction, into the depth of Hell. It would have been amazing if this group produced a dark Ambient Goatrance main album in my opinion. Twin Sharkfins is a groundbreaking album and one of the darkest, most heavy and psychedelic Goa/Psy trance albums I have ever heard in my life, period.

Favorite Tracks: 3, 4, 6, 8, 9.

A-

I know it is a matter of taste, but in this case you are wrong !!! :D

A+ :P

I absolutely agree with seraph here! This is an outstanding release: so raw, wild, fresh, innovative and maaaaaad psychedelic. D Dave and his crew really did deliver a classic here. I don't give 'em often, but this must be like a 9.5/10

A classic, no questions to be asked :)

But I did what I felt and felt what I did. :D

But I did what I felt and felt what I did. :D

No comment. You got me, Jon! :lol:

Don't really matter whether we agree or not, as your review is spot on, as always!

• 9 months later...

so raw, wild, fresh, innovative and maaaaaad psychedelic.

I fully agree. It's actually much better than I thought. It's extremely dark and heavy. I can feel myself actually going into a negative state (thinking of negative things) while listening to this. I find certain tracks much more infectious and/or impressive (3, 4, 6, 9) in their novel style over others. Tracks 2, 5 I don't find spectacular, but to each his or her own. Their style is groundbreaking. This is a groundbreaking album regardless of people's scores. I agree. :) My overall review has just been updated.

No comment. You got me, Jon! :lol:

Don't really matter whether we agree or not, as your review is spot on, as always!

Oh, yes I could see how that could sound strange if one didn't know. Someone's sig at the time (yours maybe or Seraph, I forget) said something along the lines of: "Do what you feel and feel what you do." So I wrote the score I felt was reasonable at the time. It was a reminder to the critic who proclaimed to "do what you feel" in their signature. It's all trivial of course. Moving on. :)

09. Marsmellow (Miditation Mix) = Masterpiece.

• 2 years later...

Man the power in this release is unbelievable. The melodies are very distorted (someone forgot to tell them to ease up on the Portamento and modulation setting) but once you get into it, the scene is very dark. This is what it would sound like to me if the Delta did Goa Trance. If you are looking for goa in the Suntrip model, keep looking, it ain't that type of party.

So, do I like it? I can take it or leave it. I am impressed with what it does; it's loud, abrasive and unrelenting. I don't consider it a classic, but it is worth a listen.

I don't know what you guys see in Neuroglider; it descends into a swamp of noise.

Mdk

• 5 years later...