Astral Projection - Trust In Trance 3

Children

I´am wondering about the coverthing, too. I have the another world album and i have a very different cover from the other another world cover, i have that with the two guys (avi and Lior i guess) that are on a beach.

428316[/snapback]

That's the original cover :)http://www.discogs.com/release/15581 And a great cover it is. And a great album. Have reviewed it on discogs. Luv it

:rolleyes:

My review on discogs

http://www.discogs.com/release/41508

I reckon it might be possible to limit the amount of classic albums in the All Time Trance Hall Of Fame to some 20 albums. Any serious trance lover will tell you that this album belongs there.

This is not just an amazing Trance album. This is an amazing Music album.

Why? Because of the endless list of hits here? Because of the never ending number of artists that have found their main source of inspiration here? Well, I could try to put in words what this music does to the faithful trance follower more than 10 years after its release ;o) This album has not only stood the test of time. It still defines the sound of GOA even more impressive, entrancing, and ground breaking today.

Words won't suffice.

With this album Astral Projection presented what would become the original mid nineties melodic Goa Trance and easily the epiphany of this period and style. Far and away a must in any trance collection. Correction. In any music collection.

• 1 month later...

9 and 10 out of 10 for this album?! Come on... This album is way too mainstram (like much of the israel goa stuff) to stay interesting. Even though I prefer melodic Goatrance from this era of time over effectbased psy-trance, I think Trust in trance is too much "pop-goa". In the beginning it sounds oh so good but after a while it becomes tiresome, also because the tracks are so similar in sound. I could do with just Kabalah og maybe People can fly... 4-5/10

• 3 months later...

Amazing album. One of the most powerful releases ever IMO. Only great tracks, and big track-track variaty which makes the entire album even greater than their sum.

Though some diamonds are brighter than others...

I own all their albums and know them well. I have found that Trust in Trance 3 is by far their better album and Utopia and Black & White is their two all-time best tracks. Black & White is the best, Utopia second. These two tracks reside in an exclusive class of brain-twisting, full-on melodic, psychedelic non-cheese music

Non-cheese, not a trace of it, and that whats make them far, far better than for example Kabalah or People Can Fly. They are among my all-time favourite tracks together with some old ones by Cosmosis and Pleiadians.

10/10, for overall greatness, inspiration and beauty.

• 6 months later...

Kabalah is one of my fav tracks ever. It's a party song but it's also

damn good if you like some kind of chaos magick

or OOBE styles of meditations and

like to meditate with appropriate background music.

Try to read Invisibles by Alan Morrison with Kabbalah in your ears

and you will lose every contact with reality.

The rest of the cd is good, with a couple of great tracks, but

sometimes it gets repetitive.

Rate : 7/10

• 3 weeks later...

His Story: Aw yes, how and where to begin with Astral Projection's debut album? So much paraise has been given to "Trust in trance" that it seems as though this album single handedly goa trance. And then perfected, polished and ended it! Which might be overstating things a bit, but Astral Projection played a fundemental role in molding this style. It is hardly imaginabile what would the whole psy/goa trance scene have developed into if it wasn't for them. By the time of this album's release, Astral Projection have already established themselves as a force to be reckoned with via some previously released singles, under their SFX moniker, but it was mainly Mahadeva and Let There Be Light. The first one became an instant classic, tore apart dance floors worldwide for over two years and put Israel on the map as the Mecca of goa trance. A little later, Let There Be Light appeared on the "Orange compilation" from the super influential, London based The Infinity Project Records, and Astral Projection blew the hell up. All they needed was an album to avoid the "one hit pony" sticker glued to their name! Even though it was already then hard to label them as one time hit makers, considering they had released an album, together with Yan-iv Haviv and Guy Sebbag, as SFX, and an EP as Aban Don, both in 1995. But it was first and foremost the name Astral Projection that caught the attention of listeners everywhere, while those releases made them superstars in their own country, where Avi Nissim and Ya-niv Haviv were already famous and respectable DJs with regular gigs in clubs nation wide. So by 1996, they introduced themselves quite nicely to their soon to be international fan base. Keep in mind that back in 1994, when singles like Mahadeva came out, there was no Internet promotion and stuff, and Astral Projection made more eyebrows rise with it than most of today's artists can with three albums, plus label, radio and Internet advertising put together! Well, enough of the history part, as everybody probably knows it already by heart, and let's focus on the album, as there is a lot to focus on here...

The Album:

The album opens up with Kabalah, a timeless collaboration between DJ Jorg and Astral Projection. A beautiful track with what is, IMO, one of the best melodies in the history of goa trance, kicking in at 01:35! As mesmerizing as it ever got. I know that from today's production viewpoint, this doesn't seem fairly complex or difficult to come up with, but part of its beauty lays in the fact Astral Projection came up with it first. They did it their own way before anybody else did, and just because something produced ten years ago may sound overly simple in some demanding listener's ears, that does not mean that it lost its efficency or classic status during time. For example, the track's mid part is soooo uplifting it entrances me today as much as the first time I heard it. And I know the track by heart front to back. Speaking of the last two minutes here... An expose on how to make a classic climax. What a track! What a track here.

And then we move into another classic, Enlightened Evolution, which is Avi Nissim's and Lior Perlmutter's solo effort here, and what a tune it is as well. Now, when I say their solo effort, I say it because generally Astral Projection is considered their solo project without Guy's and Yan-iv's interfearance, although it is known that the latter had his fingers in the majority of tracks on this particular release. Back to the track, which opens with a wonderful female robotic sample going: "We have determined that the human form is best suited to our purposes", and from there up to 02:45 the track has an introduction part, fairly long, but so perfectly constructed it drives me crazy. It seriously has to be one of my all time favorite track introductions, followed by a killer sample, by the same female space-age vocal saying: "Converging on a higher from deepest space... Enlightened Evolution!", and then the lead melody kicks in! A marvellous transition from the intro to the climax. In fact, I still think this track is one of the best Astral Projection tracks construction wise- so powerful, futuristic, and intensely psychedelic. Needles to say, it is another classic!

The Feelings is up next, and while I don't think it's on the same level as the previous two tracks, the one minute interlude from 04:23 to 05:23 is beyond words. Just listen to it, the track slowly builds up for around four minutes, and the melodies Avi and Nissim rip during that minute are some of the nicest they ever did. And that is saying a lot about the track. For the last two minutes it tends to ease up on the psychedelia level, but that only emphasizes the inexpressible intensity of the climax during the mid section. Overall, the melodies throughout the whole track are nice, and suite the its mood perfectly.

The fourth track, Utopia is one of their greatest floor arsonists they have ever done. The bass heavy kick on this one is mad hard, making it perfect to just... spread your hands out far and wide and get buckwild! It' only after arond three minutes that you really get the taste of the main melody here, and what else to expect but a killer one. Again. From here on it only gets better, resulting in an ultimately highly melodic climax. Once again, the melodies used here are far from mind puzzling, when compared to today's production vaults. But let me ask you: What is the point in comparing a mid ninetees goa trance album with today's psy trance? It doesn't do justice to neither one. And who on earth questioned these melodies and their level of musicality back in the day? They sounded awesome back in the day. They sound awesome today. They will sound awesome another ten years from now. Period. It's another one track of Astral Projection's sure shots. And who can keep count of those?

Black & White is the track I still play the living hell out of it whenever I get the chance to. Very fast paced, very psychedelic, but not as melodic as the previous tunes. Not that there are no melodies, it's just that I never dug them as much as some other ones on the album. OK, the acicdic melodies from 02:45 are spectacular. I take back what I said two sentences ago. And the break is very nicely done here with that short twirling melody repeating itself. Oh, and some more acidic synths thrown in afterwards for good measure. Naturally, this is still an excellent track.

Now, the next one is... well... People Can Fly . Need I add anything else? All I am going to say that if you don't have this track you don't like trance, be it psychedelic, euro, club, whatever. Or even worse, you don't like electronic music. Hell, I'd go as far as to say you don't have any respect for music if you do not own this track. My mother listens to it when driving my dog to the veterinarian. But I have to reflect some... I remember how it was the world's greatest mystery and eternal quest to find out where the sample comes from. Nobody knew it. And then, a few years later, I rejoiced when I saw the movie "Kalifornia" and discovered it was David Duchovny's voice (it's the scene when they're driving on the highway, he's driving and thinking to himself, Michelle Forbes is taking pictures with her camera, while Juliette Lewis and Brad Pitt are cooling on the back seats). If you stepped to me taking s**t about this one back in the day, I'd regularly score a three pointer with the basketball- in your face! A track beyond this universe. For nine minutes and fifty five seconds, Astral Projection make you believe flying is possible, even without airplanes or Leonardo's crazy plans and drawings. The impact of this track on the entire scene is still hardly intelligible, matched only by a handful of other tracks.

MFG appear as guest stars on Radial Blur, the album's seventh track, and although I was never crazy about them, this collaboration is amazing. Especially those descending sound effects falling onto the track at around 02:25 while a melody is killing it. I always adored those. This track is an israeli all-star tune, or at least that is how I always saw it. Four of the most known israeli goa trance producers mash on the same track! How can it even cross anybody's mind that this even comes close to being anything but staggering. Oh yeah, and if you are still not convinced, the melodies from 05:08 clear all doubts about the track. Climaxxxx! Golden goa from the golden era gaining golden duckats!

The penultimate track, Aurora Borealis is the lightest one here. Some really dreamy melodies here, and to me, this one always sounded more as a "Dancing galaxy" type of track, but it fits in just perfectly even here. Actually, it does its purpose as a guide towards the album's grand finale. It is not ambient or downtempo for that matter, it is just much "softer" than the other tracks, a much more morning tune, obviously intended for the party's closing hour or so! The melodies are still very fresh and constantly changing throughout the track, with new ones continuosly arriving from the background to the forefront! And the short break with the sweet melody being the only thing heard at six minutes, before the final closing and clash of these beautiful sounds comes back on track is, yes you guessed it once again, beautiful (I shoud really update my vocab some time soon now, as I often think I repeat myself too much...).

And the album's closing number, Still Dreaming (Anything Can Happen) is a downbeat version of the album's pinnacle track, People Can Fly. But this one has some newly added, and lighter melodies accompanying the "usual" stuff. And I am especially into the slow motion climax of this one; think of the break-sample-killer climax of People Can Fly, and then slow it all down, and you get a climax on a downtempo track! I know I enjoy it a whole lot. Well, it's hard for me not to enjoy this one, as I seem to really have a special thing for the original! One of my all time favorite closing tracks- up there with Trip Tonite and Celaeno!

01. Kabalah FEAT. DJ Jorg 10

02. Enlightened Evolution 10

03. The Feelings 8

04. Utopia 9

05. Black & White 9

06. People Can Fly 10

07. Radial Blur FEAT. MFG 9

08. Aurora Borealis 9

09. Still Dreaming (Anything Can Happen) 8.5

The Verdict: This is a classic debut album where Astral Projection defined an entire genre. They set whole new standards for the cca. '96 sound, and although I'm in no way saying that they are the only ones who had amazing, truly original and rule setting music during that period, I can comfortably say that nobody did it with so much attitude and self confidence as they did. They threw it in your face so fast and hard you could not dogde their sound if you wanted to. I guess I could describe "Trust in trance" as a stone cold concrete wall which suddenly appeared in front of you, and it was so wide, you sensed it was useless trying to go around it. And it was as high up as your eye-sight could reach. But you chose to hike up that wall in order to see how high will it take you. And the more you went up in altitude, the better you felt. Get the point? After this album's arrival, it was impossible not to be aware of Astral Projection's presence on the scene. It was the epiphany of goa trance, the establishment of the fact on how goa trance was supposed to sound like in its essence. The world was watching and listening- and they very much liked what they saw and heard- thus catapulting these two producers to superstardom! Where they more or less undisturbed resided until the year 2000, but that's another story. With "Trust in trance", Astral Projection's iron fist took a firm grip of the psy/goa trance scene, and did not loosen that same grip for years to come. And eventhough some of their own original fans eventually got tired of their sound, there is simply nothing bad to say about this album. Even people who with time got skeptical of A.P.'s work tend to look at this release as a true masterpiece and an example of an artist in top form. Speaking of sound, this album has more than impressive mastering, taking in consideration the year it was made in. Astral Projection's sound is incredibly crisp, sharp, clear and polished, making it almost pointless to compare with most other releases of that era. Mr. Ben Bernfeld is the same of the mastering ingeneer here, and there is no way I can end this release without mentioning his name, as the work he did here is immaculate. With no conception. Furthermore, recently I've been hearing some negative comments about this album, calling it overly commercial and pop-goa trance. I mean, back when this came out, terms like "pop goa" or "commercial goa trance" were not even in the process of making. What you need to distinguish is being popular and making pop music. While Astral Projection were very popular and their music was always in demand, and who can blame them for getting all that fame when you make music as beautiful as this, they were not pop artists. Yes, there's a very fine line between being undeservably popular and filthy rich, and getting your fair share by producing outstanding music which thankfully found its core public. And that same public gave a positive response to A.P.'s magical albums by making them the hottest name in the history of goa trance. So, pay your respects where they are do, if you somehow managed not to do it yet!

FINAL SCORE: 9.5/10

You got it, this is a c-c-c-c-class kick!!! ;)

• 11 months later...

ASTRAL PROJECTION - TRUST IN TRANCE 3

TRUST IN TRANCE

Posted Image

Track list:

01. 09'28" Kabalah - A

02. 08'03" Enlightened Evolution - A-

03. 07'23" The Feelings - B+

04. 09'38" Utopia - A-

05. 07'29" Black And White - B-

06. 09'55" People Can Fly - A

07. 07'40" Radial Blur - B-

08. 08'03" Aurora Borealis - B+

09. 07'47" Still Dreaming (Anything Can Happen) - A

Trust In Trance is in my heart, Astral Projection's best album, though Dancing Galaxy has been my most favourite (and returned to) album by them over the years. Astral Projection was one of the first groups to establish Full On Goa. They invented a highly energetic, fun, and danceable style. When this album arrived, no one sounded anything like this group before, to my knowledge. Astral Projection's fast, heavily layered, intricate and melodic, roller coaster style would later be the inspiration for many artists. By the time I obtained a copy, I had already heard half of the songs various compilations. So I wasn't as impressed as I was when I first heard Dancing Galaxy because I knew what to expect. Years went by. I didn't hear this album for some years, until one day... I had forgotten how wonderful this album is.

The Not So Good - Naturally some tracks are stronger than others. Kabalah is one of the best electronica songs I've ever heard. Both Enlightened Evolution and Utopia are some of the strongest Goa dance numbers here. Still Dreaming is one of the most compelling, Goa/downbeat numbers I've heard. I was never a fan of Black And White, The Feelings, or Radial Blur, and feel that the melody/sound, imagination, and direction in those aren't as good as they could be. But those songs have stand out moments (the melodies for instance in Black And White stands out). But these are the least positive things I can say about the album.

In conclusion, from the Tree of Life to the unconditional, spiritual awareness that anything is possible, reinforced in both the middle (People Can Fly) and end (Still Dreaming) of the album, this group seems deeply connected to the source of all existence; they've built a legacy around fun music affiliated with elements of spiritual awareness. This debut is a treasure in finding the lost self that can always be attained again, in spirit. Sometimes an album comes along that triggers a certain state in a person. Such a state can potentially help him/her to regain a clear perspective on life, their purpose, special abilities, that which is holding them back (i.e: energy blocks) and more. This is a rare album thathas the potential to remind us who we were, before we were born, while we are still alive. I believed that anything was possible when I came across AP in 1998. These guys have put out so much positive energy, motivation, inspiration, and love. The Universe simply provided them with the tools to express their art and passion, through music. In a nutshell, this is about as classic as Goa albums get. The imperfect score is mainly due to just enough tracks being noticeably catchier than others for me to compare; my scores are obviously how I feel; they are not official of course. Trust In Trance is a reflection of the true art of Goa set: Spirituality and movement, life, i.e: dancing.

Favorites - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9.

A-

Sample/Order

http://www.saikosoun...ease.asp?id=934

• 1 year later...

Ah, I just have to post in this legendary piece of a review thread. Astral Projection, what can I say, this the best album ever released by them imo. Containing the best of the best, I can't dislike any of the tracks. Also, listening to this album, you can definitely notice many other artists have been influenced by this group - It's just amazing how many.

It was also a big plus for AP to have a style that works for the hardcore of the scene, but is also very accessible. I know back when I wasn't much into goa-trance and remember hearing AP and liking it very much, as opposed to hearing Pleiadians - IFO for the first time and almost hating it(Odd.).

Trust In Trance 3. Wonderful gem in the goa-scene, no-one should miss out on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I have to say that I agree with most of what Jon Cocco said, except that I never forgot how awesome this album is. To me it's the pinnacle of goa trance and second to none. ""Kabalah" is the best goa trance track ever, period (imo). There's too much awesomeness on this album to be appreciated by the ordinary human being. Of course I am exaggerating, but that's because it was one of the first albums I enjoyed. Maybe it was the first one after I listened to the Pulse sampler. Still, it has yet to be surpassed by any other album in terms of brilliance.

If anyone should ever ask me about what goa trance is all about, I shall reply "Trust in Trance".

• 2 months later...

This is one of those albums that is instantly recognizable, very distinct in style, catchy yet not annoying after even 100's of listens melodies.

Favourites are Kabalah, Enlightened Evolution, People Can Fly and Still Dreaming (Anything can happen)

Classic.

the production quality is very good especially for this year, if you give a child or a guy this cd and don´t say in which year it is released he would say that this is pretty new.

I´am deep in the trancescene since 2002 and when i listened the tracks first i thought that they´re new.

I think these are my two favourite lines from the review section. :lol:

I think this sound is distinctly old school and very different from what was coming out in 2006

• 1 month later...

Going through some of the reviews, this has to be one of the funniest ones. The first page isn't even a review, just folks debating about a name of ANOTHER album. Haha.