music... THIS IS IT!!!! really...Moonshine is the gate for another dimension

:~)

{(~*~)}

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason - Los Angeles, CA

This CD is always with me. Every once in a while I have to listen to Down at

the Crossroads. I love that song. The rest of the songs are great too. This

whole CD is an awesome trip with great beats and that awesom Cosmosis

psychadelic sound. Makes me wish I had some Spores from Space for myself. :-)

• 1 month later...

Cool cool stuff. Even the packaging is innovative. Cosmosis has some of the

best cover artwork in my opinion. Also like how he talks a bit about each

track in the liner. I wish more artists would do this. The music? What can I

add to what's already been said? Not much I guess. It's got a sharper funkier

sound than cosmology, and it's very energetic, melodic, and psychedelic. It's

good. Let's leave it at that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nordy666[at]hotmail

This is a splendidly original piece of art in the world of trance. Pretty

awsome stuff from England. Get hold of it whenever you can to give your ears

an unforgetable experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Amorphia*GR

CLASSIC GOA TRANCE RULES!!!!!Cosmosis is one of the best groups out there,they

ROCK!!!!If only those new trance releases were like the old Goa

style...SMASHING ALBUM, JUST GRAB IT IF U FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!Simply

mindblowing..................

• 1 month later...
Guest ISysoev[at]i.com[dot]ua

Although all the tracks are similar to each other there is a real masterpiece

Moonshine. 9/10 only for this one

• 5 months later...
Guest Seismix

Very Good CD. I think , it can be the best album of cosmosis. The psy-trance is

evolutioning with funky to very good and oryginal style, which is cosmosis. My

opinion: 8/10

• 4 years later...

I absolutely love this album! Was so addicted to it when I first came across the tracks almost 3 years ago. Then finally getting a copy. yAy! Spore From Space is w/o a doubt my favorite on this album. It, to me is just much more sophisticated in its sounds and attached layers along with how it builds up. Still surprises me how Moonshine and Intergalactic fluoro funkster were the more popular ones on there(being released more and on Akashic or in dj sets). Great they were, just like the entire album but Spores did more for me. Higher Access was brilliant with a climax that would bring any goa hippie to their knees weeping ;p

I gave Cosmosis my praises in the info spot for PsyDb.net

"When you're sick of the ordinary, Cosmosis gets extraordinary! He's been to Mars and back and proves it with extraterrestrial juice in each track. He keeps true to his form always delivering fresh mind bending leads & that certain element of funk to the equation. A true veteran who is firmly planted in his roots not far from the path he created."

Spore From Space is w/o a doubt my favorite on this album. It, to me is just much more sophisticated in its sounds and attached layers along with how it builds up. Still surprises me how Moonshine and Intergalactic fluoro funkster were the more popular ones on there(being released more and on Akashic or in dj sets).

I agree. :)

Spores from Space? is probably the best track I've heard from Bagginz. I can't imagine you could improve that track in any way. One of those rare cases where you feel "this is perfect from a to z".

I don't own this album though weep. :-----(

• 2 months later...

I was fortunate enough to find this second hand for a reasonable price some years ago. Great album, possibly on my top10 list of albums ever. One can hardly stylishly recognize Cosmosis on Synergy as Cosmosis on the awsome Cosmology, but why bother when it's this good.

All tracks are good, great or excellent. But if I'm asked to pick three favourites, the it's Spores from space, Higher Access (the best one) and Moonshine.

Is the 'Down at the crossroads' track a remix from an old blues song or is it a creation from Bilbo himself?

if it is a remix: GREAT REMIX!

and if he created all the melodies by himself, AMAZING SONG!!!!

The track was created and arranged by Bilbo. (He is a guitarist).

Jim

• 5 months later...

Double post. Will just start the more recent, page 3.

COSMOSIS- SYNERGY

TRANSIENT RECORDS

Posted Image

01. 08'51" The Ultimate Sin

02. 07'43" Intergalactic Fluoro Funkster

03. 09'34" Spores From Space? (A Microscopic Trace)

04. 09'31" Moonshine

05. 10'06" Higher Access

06. 09'25" Turn On, Tune In...

07. 09'06" Down At The Crossroad

08. 09'23" The Big Bang Boogie

Synergy is the sequel to Cosmology. It's very psychedelic, melodic, and packs a good amount of spontaneous moments, twists, and turns. It's more Psytrance than Goa oriented, and I'll start out by saying that I preferred the debut. Full disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of Blues, Funk, and Jazz (elements) so my review may come off as a little biased. The style and overall direction has vastly changed since the debut.

By music definition, Funky means: "Combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line."

01. The Ultimate Sin really kicks off the album with a wonderful taste of things to come. It starts slow, downtempo-esque and very mysterious. It's like going up a seemingly endless track on a rollar coaster, not really sure where the top is. This track which gains speed as it progresses sets the album up for anticipation. As it moves forward, both the speed, and other various sounds and melodies are developed as they make their way into the sentences of connected intricate voice bits, a la Hallucinogen - Twisted. Cosmosis has his own style and it's great. The progression, change up, and melody work of this song is excellent. The overall song is playful and animated, becoming more dynamic as it skips along the yellow brick road. A-

02. Intergalactic Fluoro Funkster is very different than the previous song in that it's the first track to negate Goa influence by the artist. The song  begins interesting and soon grows to be more driving and energetic than the previous one, albeit less dynamic and expressive as a whole. The first act is pretty catchy. Insect psy-scapes litter the atmosphere around some good synth work. Lacking are warmer (more euphoric) melody combinations that grabbed our senses on Cosmology. Act 2 continues the SAME general sound from Act 1 with new psy-scapes, and this is where the song begins to sound a bit repetitive to me, idea wise. The artist doesn't seem to be pushing himself here. Despite incorporating some psychedelic effects, it isn't until the transition at 4:21 (to the last act) that the song goes someplace different, offering us a nice melody around 5:15, but only briefly. My interest was fading prior to that, something I did not say or feel ONCE on Cosmology. After this brief melody, Act 3 settles for a variation quite similar to the first act. While far from bad, I was less interested in the fairly repetitive music as it progressed.  B

03. Spores From Space? (A Microscopic Trace) is a smashing return to GOA influenced Psy-Trance and the difference is instantly noticeable. This artist is incredible when it comes to combining and creating melodies and influences from Goa-Trance and crossing it over into Psy. Fast, dynamic, stylish, adrenaline-pumping, intricate, flavorful, and detailed are good descriptions of this track. It's one of the best songs both in Psytrance and by Cosmosis to date. A

04. Moonshine is atmospheric, unique. The melodies stream throughout as the speed/tempo changes up multiple times. The female voice samples help give the track an elegant, emotive edge. They make the song seem almost fantasy-like at times, ethereal, floating. Other various sounds such as echoed liquid drops are very cool and effective. A-

05. Higher Access is one of the best songs on the album. But getting to its Heaven is about as exciting as getting to the long-winded build on MFG's famous track WHY. In other words, the various sounds, melody-work very good, great, but not particularly stunning until the final third. The song flows and builds expertly well to what many may describe being a devine moment in Goa/Psy-Trance. It's really powerful, magical, heavenly. The part from 6:50 to 7:19 is only an intro to this. If one doesn't think to much but shuts their eyes and is present with the wonderful sound permeating from the track, filling up the room, overflowing the senses and and caressing the soul. Though I found the first two thirds on the previous song more addictive, this number reaches a new high on its final third where a combination of beautiful, streaming and infectious melodies capture the senses and push this number to the stars. More imaginative tracks like this one please. Expand consciousness! A-

06. Turn On, Tune In... is a return to more Goa-LESS Psy. It's very fast, energetic, and psychedelic as one would expect by now. As with track 2, there are many alterations in the sound and melody department, less on the melodies than the cleverly twisted Psy-work. My problem is that the wonderful, deep driving melody factor and emotive feature that the last three wonderful songs had is gone. These elements are what I think Cosmosis does best with. They at least affect and capture me the most. Notice how few people seem to favor this song relative to general reviews throughout the internet, hence the world. Some may like this. I don't. Sure the production and mixing values are great. However I feel nothing while listening to this song but an urge to skip to the next track. B

07. Down At The Crossroad is the most funkadelic track on the album. Here's a Western influenced Psytrance song to hear while driving through the desert, bayou, or whatever you envision. The speed and tempo changes make the song feel more dynamic and interesting. This is a pretty good song. It's just not my preferred style or cup of tea.  B+

08. The Big Bang Boogie is more melodic and changes up more in sounds, direction, and structure than the previous song. It feels like a sequel to The Ultimate Sin in some ways. This Psytrance style I prefer compared to tracks 2 and 6. Track 7 was the artist doing something different, not included in this example. The bonus moment after the brief silence sounded interesting at first, but unfortunately didn't go very far before ending.  B+

Synergy is a solid but unexpected (in some ways) follow up to one of the best Goa albums ever released. While only a few tracks seem to be more Goa-influenced Psytrance (Psytrance with Goa elements), the artist basically re-approached electronic music for Psytrance (just as he was coming off Goa) and the result is sometimes impressive, and sometimes not what everyone may have been expecting or wanting. If you like Synergy over Cosmology, great. It has some terrific tracks and moments. If you prefer his purer Goa approach on Cosmology OR enjoy both albums, that's great too. I like both albums but I enjoyed Cosmology (as a whole) more due to finding more that hooked my senses with Cosmology. Some of the tracks here are very catchy though, and I tend to gravitate towards the more melodic songs (3, 4, 5 > the latter for the finale) because they bring me closer to what I love... those infectious sound/melody (ingredients of Goa) influence within the Psytrance influence. For Psytrance, the album showcases some great work. I simply found more that satisfied and resonated with me with Cosmology. That's not to say I don't enjoy the songs on this album, although tracks 2 and 6 do very little to interest me. Track 7 is catchy but could have developed/impressed a little more in the second half. It's still catchy! That said, I don't want to take anything away from the Psytrance achievements that Bilbo unlocked with Synergy. It's one of the stronger, more psychedelic albums out there. That said, I feel that the artist peeked highest when he was most present with Goa on Cosmology, rather than the many crossover (non Goa) influences throughout Synergy. It's an interesting album no doubt, with a variety in tracks and a lot of good work! Simply put due to all of the stylistic inspiration and influences, some people may find less consistently (to what they love) to enjoy here while others may be ecstatic at the expanded Psytrance approach by one of the most talented artists in electronic music.

Favorite tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 8.

A-

You gave "Intergalactic Fluoro Funksters", "Turn On, Tune In" & "Down at the Crossroads" only "B"?! :huh:

For me, all tracks are A-/A material, but then I'm a "Cosmosis whore" as Seraph has put it gently few days back... ;):D

IMO, this is THE psychedelic trance album of all times, if there ever was one!

antic said:

You gave "Intergalactic Fluoro Funksters", "Turn On, Tune In" & "Down at the Crossroads" only "B"?! :huh:

Those three tracks simply impressed me the least in comparison to the others. I still like them. However I enjoy Turn On, Tune In the least on the album. The album simply shares more conscious marbles (what resonates) with you than myself or instance. It's nothing personal.

I like your passion towards the album. It's a great release! I personally favor Cosmology over Synergy if I had to pick one. One of the reasons is because the work on the debut is more consistent to what I prefer. I also find tracks 3, 4, 5 noticeably catchier due to the more melodic approach than say... tracks 2 and 6.

It's not the melodies alone but what this artist does with them. Bilbo expressed his passion for melodies in an interview or article some time back. I feel that one of his greatest gifts is his ability to develop (and evolve) infectious sound/melody designs. I really enjoyed the last third of Higher Access, but the song didn't do much to hook me before the last act. What this artist did with Cosmology I simply found more consistently fun (not that every song was perfect on that album IMO). But that's based on my senses. If we were all cloned, we'd have no perspectives to share, no differences to appreciate, to be inspired and/or learn and grow from. So I appreciate your high standards and taste in electronic music. Because we each share similar and different conscious marbles regarding what we feel more or less connected to. This higher (formless) conscious connection to humanity (the collective mind that expands beyond the body in 3D terms) doesn't make either of us right or wrong to each other, just right to what we believe, to what feels natural and resonates with us. As energy becomes more conscious, e.g., empathic, loving, compassionate, wholesome..... titles, labels, and comparisons ultimately fall away to reveal the essence of who we are, e.g., love, unity, an enlightened evolution. One love, one light. No more insensitivity because we (as a collective consciousness) have overcome the separation from oneness, from spirit, identified with form, and manifested this vibration akin to the Universal Laws of our current (within this vibrational range) experience. A new, far more expansive paradigm is emerging from within the hearts and minds (collective consciousness) of the masses. All forms of expansive music play a role in stimulating our imagination and inspiring us to manifest that expansion (to some degree) into our reality since every"thing" emanates from the mind. Consciousness creates reality. But I digress so I'll stop here. I feel more alive listening to music like this. I feel a connection to some lost (or perpetual separation) of that greater expansion of truth and being. 

...I personally favor Cosmology over Synergy if I had to pick one. One of the reasons is because the work on the debut is more consistent to what I prefer...

That pretty much explains why you were not impressed with "Intergalactic Fluoro Funkster", "Turn On, Tune In" and "Down at The Crossroads" - you just like more his melodic/goa side than his psychedelic & experimental excursions. :)

Personally, I love a good melody now and then, but I prefer good texturing, clever sounds & tweaks. The album at hand is IMO the only one that combines the two worlds in a perfect balance, especially in tracks like "Spores From Space?", "Moonshine" and "Higher access", hence my opinion about it being THE psychedelic album of all time. Other tracks have the balance skewed slightly towards the experimentation, peaking with totally out-there sonic soundscapes of "Turn On, Tune In", funky acid-laden triplets of "Down at The Crossroads" and percussive "Intergalactic Fluoro Funkster".

At any rate, seeing from the reviews this ranks pretty high in anyone's book, so forgive my intrusion :)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Cosmosis-Synergy_zps9ca94bc4.jpg

Artist: Cosmosis

Title: Synergy

Label: Transient Records

Date: 1998

01. 08'51" The Ultimate Sin
02. 07'43" Intergalactic Fluoro Funkster
03. 09'34" Spores From Space? (A Microscopic Trace)
04. 09'31" Moonshine
05. 10'06" Higher Access
06. 09'25" Turn On, Tune In...
07. 09'06" Down At The Crossroad
08. 09'23" The Big Bang Boogie

Their first album Cosmology is unarguably one of the greatest goa trance albums of all time. So is I.F.O. So is Trans Dimensional. This is their 2nd effort and like a lot of other artists it suffers from a slight sophomore slump. Family of Light, Second Phaze, and Synergy while super albums in their own right don't shine as brightly as their predecessors. Part of that is due to changing times, the first album being so mind blowingly superb, as well as the artists wanting to explore.

Please don't think I'm saying this isn't a great album. It most surely is, but it's different and those expecting Cosmology 2 will be disappointed. Rather than say what it isn't, I'll say what it is. Acidic as hell with layers stacked higher than my wedding cake. Soaked in psychedelia with a wonderful crunchy appeal. It's taken a turn from pure melodic goa to a form that is deeper and more psychedelic in feel. Man is it deep.

Moonshine is my favorite, but Spores From Space, Higher Access, and Turn On make for a delightful trip and I think they knew that because they are all in a row. The only thing keeping me from giving it that classic status are the last two tracks. You will either love their experimental side or drive your fingernails into your temples and rip the skin from your skull.

That's how Down At The Crossroad affects me. If I wanted to hear a bad hillbilly southern accent I would walk down the street. I don't associate psychedelic music with the toothless ramble of a redneck. Big Bang Boogie has a throaty growl coupled with some metallic leads that is good, but maybe just a wee bit too long.

So, for me a great album that I wouldn't hesitate to buy. But when I compare it with their first...

Mdk

• 8 years later...

Moonshine and Spores from Space is enough reason to come back to this album every now and again. 

Truly masterpieces. Completely unique sound and such musical perfection - i rank those tracks as highly as i would ap, simon, x-dream or pretty much any other of the very greats. And what a wonderful chap mr Billy is, aswell. 

album 8.9/10, those two songs 10/10+

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, astralprojection said:

Moonshine and Spores from Space is enough reason to come back to this album every now and again. 

Truly masterpieces. Completely unique sound and such musical perfection - i rank those tracks as highly as i would ap, simon, x-dream or pretty much any other of the very greats. And what a wonderful chap mr Billy is, aswell. 

album 8.9/10, those two songs 10/10+

thanks for bumping

spores from space and higher access are both amazing

moonshine is nice but I think the kick is a bit too soft

tracks 2 and 6 are also solid 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1