Darshan - Spectra

Children

This here is one of the more underestimated psytrance albums ever IMO. Why? I think it's because of people's expectations after their debut album Awakening released a year before.

Most of reviewers thought the new one will be similar, with lots of layered acid lines, high tempo and sci-fi samples. Well, they were wrong. And I think it is a good choice for Darshan to change their music, because - to some extent - most of the tracks from Awakening sounded similar, and if they would do another album like it, then it would just be too much. Spectra is more chilled (though not slow at all), more focused on atmosphere, background sounds and effects rather than on leads. While Awakening was full of hits you could play in a DJ-set, this one should be listened and considered as one, 76-minutes long tune.

The album starts with a very strange, heavily distorted yet slow techno-like track, that speeds up in the middle to over 160BPMs. 'Excursion' & 'Phased Transition' are both similar - they're based around steady kick, deep bassline and complicated drum loops, sent through all possible effects one could imagine. There's no melody there, just some chords and atmospheric pads in the background, with occasional short acid-lines here and there.

'Spectra' is a down-tempo, melodic, mysterious tune with incredible sounding break, wicked drum work and some fine tweaks along the way. With 'Nexus Plexus' we come back to faster music - first part is very similar to tracks 2 & 3, with straight rhythm, detailed drums & acid tweaks but the second part is completely different - the track slows down and a beautiful, melancholic melody appears.

The 'Irrelevant Elephant' (what a title!) is a very fast, drumloop-driven tune, that evolves into a dark, acid-laden monster in the second half. The last two tracks '1 Ohm' & '0g' are similar to 2, 3 & 5, but a bit more melodic and crazy, with some cool ideas and transitions.

Overall I'd rate this as a 4/5 - it's not amongst the cream of psy-trance albums, but it's definitely worth having.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

It took some time to sink in because it is not very dramatic or

ever changing and it is very minimalistic but now I think it is great. Very

spacy psytrance that just takes to other places.

+1 exactly my feeling.

This record does work as a whole entity when you have a full hour-and-a-bit to melt into the couch

with a nice martini and some BC hydroponic. It does take quite a few listens

to be able to get into the right mood for this record; it's not quite as

accessible as Awakenings.

Spot on.

I think it is a good choice for Darshan to change their music, because - to some extent - most of the tracks from Awakening sounded similar, and if they would do another album like it, then it would just be too much. Spectra is more chilled (though not slow at all), more focused on atmosphere, background sounds and effects rather than on leads. While Awakening was full of hits you could play in a DJ-set, this one should be listened and considered as one, 76-minutes long tune.

My opinion as well.

I think track 2 is a little masterpiece really, but then I can't help being disappointed by the last three tracks even though "Og" got some brilliant passages but also some boring ones.

The best in this album occurs from track 1 to track 5 IMO.

Track 2 "Excursion" is really beautiful, my fav here, the three following tracks "Phased transition", "Spectra" and "Nexus Plexus" follow the same mood, it's dark, atmospheric and reward patience and attention. Unlike many here I don't dig that much "Irrelevant elephant" sounds too techno for me. Anyway usually I play this from track 1 to track 5 and I love it.

Rating: 7/10.