Space Tribe - Shapeshifter

psyhead

Guest Defbydelta...

Pretty good album with some killers and some tracks are so rutten! but what

about the cover? if a want toys i go out by toys, little bit childish there..

7/10 for that cd!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

Well this is a pure psytrance album from Space tribe that will never be an essential.

Track 1 Out Of Control: pretty boring opener, nothing really happening in this track except some cool snares... 4.5/10

Track 2 Echoes In Eternity: this is a decent track and more varied than track 1... 6.5/10

Track 3 Kickin Up Some Dust remix: Ok but some parts of the track are a bit cheesy. 6/10

Track 4 Taking A Risk: what risk? this sounds pretty generic for Space tribe's standards... 4.5/10

Track 5 Live And Let Live: Good track - i like the title name - it's really psychedelic and I like the dark atmosphere... 7.5/10

Track 6 The Elixir Of Life: some cool snares and 303...the end of the track gets a bit more interesting... 6.5/10

Track 7 Think-k-k: perhaps the most creative track of the album, still sounds typical Space Tribe. Samples get a bit repetitive but solid track... 7/10

Track 8 Secrets Of The Universe: something doesn't work in the 1st half, not sure what, why, but...then it gets a tiny bit more interesting. 5.5/10

Track 9 What Is Conciousness: the traditional useless downtempo track :D not that it is bad, but who will remember... 5/10

On the whole this is inferior to Space tribe's previous albums (Sonic Mandala, 2000 O.D. to name just two), less inspiration here. Sure the mastering is better than his earliest works, and it has its moments but still I wouldn't recommend a buy, or a cheap buy only.

Final rating: 5.75 /10

• 1 month later...

QIzipmx.jpg

Artist: Space Tribe

Title: Shapeshifter

Label: Spirit Zone Recordings

Date: November, 2001

1. Out of Control

2. Echoes In Eternity

3. Kikkin Up Some Dust (Remix)

4. Taking a Risk

5. Live and Let Live

6. The Elixir of Life

7. Think-k-k

8. Secrets of the Universe

9. What is Consciousness

"Progress, new ideas, inventiveness, creativity all of this I believe is related to taking a risk."

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with Manuser on this one. Look...besides Sonic Mandala Space Tribes early work was never that brilliant for me. It always sounded thin and could've been so much more. Left me wanting. I think in a dream world I'd love for him to remix most of his older stuff. And let's face it Olli never met a sample he didn't like.

The sound quality on this is so great. Absolutely crystal clear. The tracks themselves weave between goa trance and psy and are frequently evolving. Even back in 2001 he was throwing some acid around. And Taking a Risk didn't take a risk? Remember it was 2001 otherwise known as musical darkness in the psy scene so he took a risk by actually putting some melodies in there. But what I like most about the album (besides the sound quality) is the twists and turns.

Now I'm not gonna piss on your leg and tell you it's raining. This is not the peak of psytrance or goa trance. Not even the peak of the Space Tribe discography. But there are some good tracks here and with the quality sound production I think it helps push it above whatever some of his older albums were.

Mdk