Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

Anoebis

How and where do I even begin with this? There is no way I could ever write a constructive, non biased and at least partially objective review. I simply love this album. I was, still am, and probably will forever be a major sucker for acidic lines, acid synths and so on... And just for the record, for the 0.01% of you out there who by know didn't get it, this release is overrun with them. Which is a good thing. No. Cross that, it as a fantastically phenomenal thing.

This has to be the most entertaining, acid stained, crazy melodic album I have. This is not just a bunch of TB-303 effects thrown over dull beats; they are very nicely arranged, and the best part is that they are soooooo well incorporated with all the goaesque melodies to reach wonderful levels of psychedelia. This is truly something for the body as well as for the mind. I mean, the acidic synths remind me of some of my favorite old school acid artists like Solar Quest, The Pump Panel and The Dentist, while the melodies are not on the Etnica level, they certainly weren't supposed to be, but they kind of remind me of some wierder Cosmosis stuff from "Synergy", only that this album predated Bilbo's masterpiece. But it came after "Cosmology", which also being very acid influenced could kind of be in the same vein as this... Well, I love 'em both, and the acidic sounds are mainly to blame for that!

But rather than thinking of what separate parts of it remind me of, I prefer focusing on the whole thing, and every time I get blown away by this album's uniqueness and originality. This is for me one of those albums which stands in a league of its own, a true masterpiece which can hold its own against virtually any modern release. I have never listened to this with pressing the pause, skip or stop button during the coarse of the tracks. Hell, I don't even answer to my cellular phone when listening to this. And picking a fav' tune here is almost impossible... Maybe Ring Of Fire, with the jaw dropping and eyeball popping part after 04:15; aaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddd!!!!!!!! Once again I will repeat myself: it is pointless that I write a full track by track review of this album because 8 out of 10 words would be praising adjectives like glorious, spectacular, invincible, unimaginably phenomenal etc.!

The bottom line is: if you really are a fan of the old school acid sound, and I for damn sure know I am, if you like crazy, twisted and seriously funny samples (I forgot to mention it above, but his CD is loaded with those as well) that the likes of Psyko Disko, the older Ubar Tmar releases, Quirk and the newer suomi acts like Texas Faggott and Squaremeat adore to use, and last but not least, if you are simply a fan of old school goa trance, and did not listen to this, go fetch. I am not implying that you have to love it as much as I do, but I'd be stunned if you carefully listened to this album, and came back at me like: "There's nothing on here for me... These guys suck!". Never happened to me. Not yet. Top notch work here!

JESUS DIDN'T DANCE! BUT HIS BEAT GOES ON! A WELL DESERVED 9/10 FROM ME! DEFINTELY STILL ON MY ALL TIME TOP 5 LIST!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never listened to this [except for couple of tracks that didnt quite impress me neither made some idea about what green nuns are like] untill i downloaded it recently and gave it few listens during couple of days [two of them were today].

what can i say - I LOVE IT! as simple as that :) imo best UK oldschool goa/psy out there :P

a must!

Worn my copy out!! :( anyone have a spare?)

These guys and Hallucinogen got me into trance in the first place!!

The best thing since sliced bread imo!! Dick Trevor still rocks!!

GREEN NUNS OF THE REVOLUTION - ROCK BITCH MAFIA
FLYING RHINO RECORDS

rockbitc.jpg

Track listing:

01. 07'46" Cor (Unreleased Edit)
02. 09'35" Thunder Thigs
03. 08'36" Conflict
04. 07'27" Octofunk
05. 07'55" Ring Of Fire
06. 09'06" Klunk
07. 07'29" Rock Bitch
08. 14'02" Atomic Armadillo (The Fluffening)

This album is fantastic!

I love their style! The melodies are delicious! The energy is awesome! They distort and minipulate the heck out of layers upon layers of super tasty sounds, goatrance melodies. And details... I notice so many clever, little details.

I first heard this back in 2004. It's grown on me since. I love an album that has a strong beginning, middle, and end. Rock Bitch Mafia is one of those albums. The samples are great. There are a handful of unexpected, spontaneous parts and moments. The songs are fun!

Octofunk is the only less strong track here relative to the other songs IMO.

The last song is epic and solid, like 2-3 songs in one. The final third morphs into a Goa-influenced, downtempo version of the same song, a nice chill out closing.

All in all, Rock Bitch Mafia is a classic from the golden era of Goa Trance. 

Favourite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8.

A-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In top-5 UK goa albums in my onion. :)

All the tracks, and I mean ALL are at least very good. "at least very good"? yeah some are even better, stunning ever-greeners hauling from as far as 94 (conflict was made then at least).

who could stand still when the climax after "prepare to hurtle thru the cosmos" sample explodes? that's BOOM! for ya.

they have no word for fluffy!

• 3 months later...

Absolutely fantastic album. I don't think i own a CD in my psy collection that makes me want to get up and dance as much as this one does. So energetic, so crazy, so funky. There's not a dud in here but if i was gonna have to go for favourites then I'd go for: thunder thighs, ring of fire, klunk (especially the crazy bit with the voices in the middle :blink: ) and octofunk.

The green nuns of the revolution are the led zeppelins of the psy scene, and they rock my socks off.

10/10

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Consider most of the finest (of the finest) artists in Goatrance at their peek below:

- Astral Projection

- Chi-A.D.

- Cosmosis

- Green Nuns of the Revolution

- Jaia

- Hallucinogen

- Man With No Name

- Pleiadians

- Tandu

- Total Eclipse

- Transwave

This IS on that list and that list isn't THAT much longer. smile.gif

I'm sure not including Koxbox was just a little oversight caused by this fine album ;).

Rock Bitch Mafia has great energy and, even if sometimes a bit dated, it still overpasses many artists now and then.

303 lovers need to have/listen to it ;)

• 3 months later...

This is one of the best albums I've ever heard. In all the years I have never grown tired of a single track.

My favourites are Octofunk and Rock Bitch but to be honest they're all fantastic.

While every track is amazing as a stand alone track they do still work better as a full album.

If you like full on (not fullon) acidic goa then this is a must have.