Artist: Moksha

Title: Mindworx 97-99

Label: BTM

Date: 1999

Track listing:

CD 1

01. 10'39" Thee View (Gnosce Te Ipsum)

02. 11'23" Caban (GND Mix)

03. 09'25" Huxley's Medicine (Neuro Mix)

04. 12'43" Earth Ascending (Temple Cut)

05. 08'54" Kua Gou

06. 11'29" Thee Creation (Rmx)

07. 09'29" Cheemah (Initial Edit)

CD 2

01. 11'43" Koruna

02. 07'32" Angkor (Re-Edit)

03. 09'13" Lost Eternal (New Cut)

04. 07'41" Earth Drumming

05. 09'29" Calaido (King Mix)

06. 08'59" Dope Limited Soul (Original Edit)

07. 19'04" Absoluthum 05

Review:

First ov all I have to say that HYPNOTIC is the word that describes the style ov Moksha most clearly. It is somewhere between oldskool psy and tribal psy and has a slightly minimal arrangement – in a hypnotic way ov course. I'm afraid this review will get awfully long if I describe each track as there are two CDs but I'm gonna do it nevertheless as I think it's worth the time. OK, CD1 #1 is a marvellous opener, it starts with an ambient intro with a deep “Auummmmm”, then a quite slow and relaxed beat kicks in as well as very nice tribal percussion. The track shuffles along like this till the end while some mystic backround scapes appear and disappear. This track has a sort ov spiritual feel to it. #2 is still rather slow but with a faster bassline, some strange psy sounds on top and still some tribal percussion in the first half. I found this rather minimalistic track to be a little hard to get into because ov a certain weird sound that repeats during the last four minutes but now I like it quite a lot. #3 begins with very good sample of Aldous Huxley (I suppose). The kick and bassline remind me of Shive Chandra in some way. The track includes "happier" sounds as well as some mystical harmonix. Not a favourite ov mine but still very nice.

Then follows one ov the best tracks ov the album (#4), with its hypnotic groove, its really psychedelicious sounds and vocal effects here and there and a beautiful background melody, which appears twice in the track...aaahh... this is such a an awesome track IMO, over 12 minutes ov pure psychedelic beauty and subtleness. I love it!! #5 is not spectacular, filler syndrome here, but still good...and funky. With #6 we have one ov the darkest tracks I've ever heard, I don't mean "dark" in the sense ov "evil" but a kind ov mystical darkness that evokes a particularly eerie atmosphere. One ov my definite faves. #7, the most oldskool-ish sounding track on CD1, is one ov the best tracks, too. Delicious acidlines and a killer melody near the end....just excellent!! Over to CD2: #1 opens the CD with meditative harmonics and a bassline that may bring about at first few listens that you don't notice that there's an actual 4/4 kickdrum starting half the into the track. It seems like a very long intro ov the CD. And a weird one. #2 is quite an average one and contains a nice oldskool melody. That's it. #3 you must listen to very loud to hear what a bad-ass stormer it is! That trippy sort of 'growling' bassline and the stomping beat make it my favourite track on CD2. It rocks!! As its name implies, #4 is dominated by drums. It consists ov a German sounding beat with several percussion layers on top ov it. Quite a simple but nice tribal track that sounds very much like Akasha Project. #5 is filled with loads ov trippy noises and is also quite melodic. Besides you can hear snippets of a Martin Luther King speech, which repeats a few times in a manipulated form. Very good track. Next one (#6) is a kick-ass track with some trippy melodies as well. A little

repetitive but still kewl. #7 is a véry long and very special melodic Goa tune: First ov all, the melodies themselves sound very epic, very beautiful and incredibly mesmerizing! Second of all, they are very repetitive, which can sound quite annoying at first, especially in the second half ov the track, where several melodies, which are layered on each other, go on and on and on and won't stop till the end. But the trick to avoid this annoyance is to let go completely and let the music put you in a deep trance. It's one ov the very few pieces ov music that really do 'it' to me (hypnotizing that is)! I'd really like to hear this track at sunrise on an open-air party and feel the magic it radiates. All in all, what I like about Moksha is the way they combine psychedelic and

tribal elements in their subtle and intelligent compositions (voice samples are well chosen too!) and the great spiritual theme that flows with it - Paul and Thorn are the masters ov tribadelic PsychoNavigation!;-) Favourite tracks: CD1: Earth Ascending (Temle Cut)(#4), Thee Creation Rmx(#6), Cheemah(#7); CD2: Lost Eternal (New Cut)(#3) and Absoluthum 05(#7). This album is and will remain a special one in my collection and deserves the full score: 10/10!!

Guest [Anonymous]

I´ve had this album,since it came out..everybody told me how good it was,so i

bought it..first half year,i think it sucked,i couldnt get into it..but after

i gave it some tries,it grew on me,and turned into one of my

favourites,especially track 1 cd 1.

If u like moksha stuff,buy this,cuz its the best cd they made.

if u never heard it before..give it a try,but gotta have a open mind to like

this one i guess.

some tracks i still think very weird,and not very good,but the ones i like,i

like alot

Fav. tracks cd 1,1,3,4,7

cd 2,1,2,3,7

I give this 9/10

Guest col_klink3[at]hotmail[dot]com

Another aside here folks: If anyone wants to know where Moksha got his name,

take a look at track 3: "Huxley's medecine". "Moksha Medecine" is an organic

substance used in his novel, Island, as a vehicle for intense spiritual

journeys. In the book, it is used as the gateway towards adulthood for groups

of young people: they all climb to the top of this mountain and are guided as

a group towards spiritual awakening with the aid of the "moksha medecine".

You all should read that book if you haven't already: Aldous Huxley - Island.

Great great stuff... one of my top 3 books of all time, food for philosophy,

politics and literary exploration.