penny!!!

• 2 months later...

Yep, this must be one of the most underrated goa artists out there... I mean,

if you don't buy goa CDs or vinyls and listen to them for a living, there's a

pretty good chance you never (or very rarely) heard of a certain "Doof"... So

I guess most people just walk away from this album thinking it's not worth the

cash... How wrong they are cause this is one of THE goa albums EVERYONE must

have!! I'll just tell you that my top 3 tracks ever are Double Dragons by

Doof, Kaballah by AP and Maya by Pleiadians... Need I say more? 10/10!!!

Guest what???

i don't generally review things, but since this, out of all the "older" stuff

that i have, gets the most play, i thought i'd give it my thumbs up.

sunshrine is just so, so amazing. that song, in the morning, when the sun is

shining, and the birds are singing, just makes me smile, smile, smile like

nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest [Anonymous]

i cant believe that!!!!!!!!

it so great!

listen to double dragons which is a real masterpiece!

you have to listen to it!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest mithril[at]gmx[dot]ch

this is one of the best psy-trance albums ever. just kicks your ass! absolutely

phenomenal! 10/10 this ones worth the 10 rating!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Davidtolsn

good cd, can't call it a favorite though. a little too much cheese on some of

the tracks. some of these songs are phenomenal though (youth of the galaxy,

star above parvati) and most of them are good. this is nice full on old school

stuff, but not quite as "serious" as most. nice break. 7/10

• 1 month later...

A classic Goa album that deserves a recommended rating. In fact, I can't

imagine why this album isn't highlighted on this website as it is an

acknowledged classic and its influence will surely continue. This album is

unique in that it is all full-on with a pounding kick, but it has a

particularly shimmering, sunny, fun, happy quality that you won't find in many

Goa albums. This album really captures the spirit of ecstasy in early Goa

music and parties. A major plus point is that all the tracks are of even, and

excellent, quality, so pulling one out seems unimportant. The album really

works as a whole, with a blissed-out but energetic feeling pervading all the

tracks. This is not to say that it's a wussy record; all of the tracks are

kicking and "youth of the galaxy" has a kinda punky "up yours" rebellious

energy. Nor is this an album without emotional variety; the key changes at the

beginning of "Let's turn on" are wickedly moody and disorientating, for

example. By the way, the Doof track "the tower and the star" on Tip's

excellent "Infinite Excursions 2" is one of the best tracks on that chillout

compilation. So don't hesitate to buy this album. 10/10

~*~

• 6 months later...
Guest Goastomp9

great album... i think a bit over-rated though.

i especially like tracks 1, 2 and 3... after that i'm ususlly ready to put in

something else. 6/10

peace.

• 3 years later...

ONE OF THE BEST GOA TRANCE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

I second that. But why did he stop producing Goa? This is wonderful! Everyone I have ever played it for says it's great, happy, wonderful, etc. :)

• 2 years later...

DOOF - LET'S TURN ON

TIP RECORDS

Posted Image

Track listing:

01. 07'10" Let's Turn On

02. 06'13" Mars Needs Women (96 Mix)

03. 07'59" Youth Of The Galaxy (Final Demand Mix)

04. 07'36" Double Dragons

05. 07'45" Sunshrine

06. 07'29" Secret Sun (Sunbeam Mix)

07. 08'00" "Key To The Innerverse" or "ANGELINA"

08. 08'21" Destination Bom

09. 11'45" Star Above Parvati (Bijli Mahadev Mix)

01. Let's Turn On invites the listener into a world of fantasy. The song begins beautifully, with waves of ambient and atmosphere. The track's actual introductory sound is magical. The first half of the song is great. The middle interlude is floating, and the second half produces some of the tastiest sound/melody textures that I have ever heard. The song flows and evolves extremely well from beginning to end. It makes me wonder why Nick Doof quit making Goa trance, as this is just the opening song and already I'm desiring more. Superb track. A

02. Mars Needs Women (96 Mix) is a great number. The Goa melody lead arriving at 3:16 is just :wub: jumping out like a healthy starfish to dance beside me. Talk about liquid-dynamic sound waves. The development around this element into the atmospheric interlude is wonderful. The beat-free interlude keeps it dancing as well. This is a super song! A-

03. Youth Of The Galaxy (Final Demand Mix) will make you smile. The evolution in this artist's work is super. However this offers more of an attitude and character to its colorful body. This is a strong and positive sounding, race-across-the-galaxy track with an infectious melody driven interlude and more. I think it could have soured higher in the end but overall the song is bliss. A-

04. Double Dragons is yet another strong number. I'm starting to sound repetitive here but the album is just that good. Nonetheless, I find this track fairly less infectious than the previous three, though I found the previous track slightly less addictive than the two before that. This is a driving number regardless. It just sounds similar in some sounds and a bit less refreshing than the previous tracks. Though some people love it more or less. You decide! I think it's good/great, just nothing superb. B+

05. Sunshrine is a beautiful, uplifting and soaring across the sky number. Comprised with a big heart and enough feel good melody/sound work to turn sadness into light. It's a great, euphoric sunrise track. A-

06. Secret Sun (Sunbeam Mix) is more aggressive and layered than the previous, more dreamy dance number. As the song progresses it forms a sweet, hypnotic Goa band causing one of those subtle shift/vibrations. Cool. Although it's pretty much a point A to B type drive, it gets where its going in a refreshing style and speed. Great track! A-

07. Key To The Innerverse A.K.A. Angelina(?) appears strange on the track list because my track says ANGELINA. It's my favorite track on the album anyway next to the first one. The vocal work is marvelous in how a female saying one name compliments an also super, and infectious nighttime beauty flying across the blues and purples cosmic energy as if on heaven's wings with a touch of mischief. You know, I'm not going to lie or let symbolism and/or poetry sum up the track review alone. What's most impressive is the melody work beginning around 2:53. It's creates a driving, euphoric high; here this is the melody lead/star. Surprisingly it doesn't appear again until 7:04. Most alternative songs are 3-4 long and repeat the chorus at least three times in that length. I suppose this hook could have been integrated once more but this isn't a flaw. The track is wonderful. Superb work! A

08. Destination Bom is my least favorite track on the album; it's the only one that seems a bit redundant, less polished and imaginative relative to the others. It has various strong elements however, a growing ambient that compliments the driving psychedelic Goa racing headlights and the end becomes quite infectious/layered waffle style. But the path to that seldom changes pace, dynamics, or rhythm. Occasional sounds come and go around a brief interlude. The least strong song here is one of the stronger songs compared to 9/10 Psytrance albums to put it nicely. Cool track! B+

09. Star Above Parvati (Bijli Mahadev Mix) is one of the most unexpected Goa closing tracks. It's more Psy/downbeat dub Chill track rather than a Goa/Psy downtempo number. Overall it's very well done with numerous elements of beauty and contemmplation. B+

In conclusion, this is one of the BEST Goa-Trance albums. Own it. Love it. Play it over and over. It's timeless. Over 10 years later this both deserves and has received by general Psy/Goa fan consensus classic status. IMO not every track is outstanding. But the least strong work here is good and/or great. Furthermore, some of the greatest tracks ever produced in Goa, in Electronica in general are on it. Let's Turn On is a super positive sounding album too which some how manages to prevail the odds without without sounding cheesy. Oh, and the cover's delectably cheerful and fun, just like the music.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7,

A-

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

One of my favourite albums of all time.

Call me deranged for feeling proud to own an original piece of standard-issue 1996 TIP Records plastic with thisssssss cosmic blissssss etched into it.

Gave it a light-wielding spin last night during a mild dance with Lucy as the sun was going down. Yummy!

• 2 years later...

DI1gCS0.jpg

Artist: Doof

Title: Let's Turn On

Label: TIP Records

Date: 1996

1. Let's Turn On

2. Mars Needs Women (96 Remix)

3. Youth of the Galaxy (Final Demand Remix)

4. Double Dragons

5. Sunshrine

6. Secret Sun (Sunbeam Remix)

7. Angelina

8. Destination Bom

9. Star Above Parvati (Bijli Mahadev Mix)

"We've checked and double checked. It keeps coming up the same thing. The message is...Mars.Needs.Women."

Doof. What a stupid name. World is full of stupid names. See this chick?

QI7fIIf.jpg

Hot right? Know what her name is? Krystal Ball. Seriously.

No she isn't a stripper, but with a name like that she could've been nay...should've been. What were her parents thinking? The job as a dad of a daughter is to keep her off the pole, so why the hell would he give her a leg up (pun intended)? She actually ran for Congress (don't know why I capitalized that, they aren't worth 2 f*cks) but didn't win. Know why? Pics came out of her fellating Rudolph the Red nose reindeer's nose. Not the real one, some guy in a costume.

She's actually very smart so don't judge this book by its cover.

Back to Doof, it's Nick Barber and he gets credit for one of the best goa trance albums around. At least that's what all the glowing reviews would have you believe. Beginning with a track that was written by Nick and Simon Posford, Let's Turn On would've fit perfectly on Simon's Twisted album. Mars Needs Women is another great track with great leads and that iconic sample. I used to like YOTG, but nowadays I just don't think it goes anywhere.

Double Dragons however has a lot of heft to it, getting more growly as it goes on. The only way I can explain Sunshine is that he wrote it after he got laid. Only an act that wonderful can fill you full of smiley emoticons and rainbow hemorrhoids. Very pretty, but I wonder what it's doing here. Because he comes right back with Secret Sun and once it gets going it sounds nice and crunchy. Kinda mellow and kinda rough at the same time.

Angelina is a ripper of a track with an aggressive lead that picks up some friends becoming quite massive. Destination Bom is a weak track that makes a lot of noise and not much else. He ends with a dubby remix of Star Above Parvati. which I felt was overly long and boring. Kinda makes sense considering the direction his music took.

So I believe this is a great album, but because of a few tracks falls short of an absolute classic. Still, highly recommended.

Digital Download from Twisted Records

Mdk

Edited by Trance2MoveU

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i owned a copy of the Twisted repress & a few of the track had this weird sound like vinyl slipping as it played. kinda hard to describe but thank ohm that DAT are reissuing with bonus goodies, why would you bbother buying an older version!?!?!?

• Like 1