Pleiadians - IFO

Guest Mindbender

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The last track is ambient/chillout and not as well excecuted as the others. These guys need to rely on the energy of the pulsating beat to create something exciting.

I find the negativity surrounding the downtempo efforts of Pleiadians/etnica completely baffling as IFO and FOL respectively have probably the best downtempo enders ever. Both are incredibly well textured and timed. Cealeno has the most immense alien outer space atmosphere. Delivering a sound that reflects the grey surface of the moon and throws twists and turns at it in an alien like manner. I wish they would have taken the time to create a full ambient/downtempo album like Total Eclipse did.

P.S. After my eventual owning of this recording I find myself wanting a remaster so badly. The literal quality can sound so flat often and Maia has panning issues, leaning towards the right side. Though it's weird since I find Cealeno quite flawless.

• 2 years later...

Pleiadians' IFO was a very good album in it's day but nowhere near as good UX's Ultimate Experience which was also released on Drafonfly Records around the same time. Listen to both albums today and only two or three tracks on IFO stand the test.

ROFLMFAO!!!! Oh please (laughing), make it stop. I can't take it. My heart! I need to breath.

- That was my reaction 5-10 years ago. UX's Ultimate Experience is an awesome album.

You gotta love opinions. We all have them, different tastes. Many love this album. Some don't and I accept that. Some find this album boring and I accept that; I don't agree but I accept that. I used to argue opinions and now I realize doing so, such behavior is pointless, primarily when it comes to something so personal as music, films, etc. Let light in and evolve. As one grows consciously, they expand consciously; they enjoy and appreciate certain things (and occurrences) more than ever before. Just enjoy life! No need to judge or name call. We can solve many of Earths issues with positive thinking, knowledge, love, intuition, truth, and by sharing ideas for positive change. Just like we raise awareness on these threads for great releases. Focus on the positive!

• 2 years later...

Well this is one of those albums, at least for some it takes multi plays to get it completely. One might ponder what about all these high praises for the album, until the discovery is made.

You may hear many things some very positive & great and some not very positive, about this album. Never Mind, if you are into trance and especially GOA just hold on, you will be thankful you put the effort if you can’t get it in the first go.
IMHO, this is one of those creations, which might prove very difficult to better.
There are 7 tracks in total, with 6 of them on higher bpm's with the last down-tempo track Celaeno rightly placed to help us come down after the amazing high energy cosmic travel which is about to take place.
Maia- The gem which starts it after all, awesome acid line synths to begin with and the keyboard melodies starts rocking in few moments and start pushing us in to the cosmos. That roaring vocal chorus towards the end is just amazing and something special. The restart at 9.15 wow. The sound barrier has just been broken and that feeling that a high velocity travel is awaiting us starts to sink in.
Taygeta- Layers and Layers which are so wild and intense! With all the complex multi layers, melodies and mixing this is a total masterpiece. Not to miss the quality of production put across. That out of earth melody introduced at 4.03, we are practically now at speeds more than Mach 4.
Merope- Very deep and powerful bass lines with powerful melodies and energy tailored to perfection. The layered lower bpm phase in middle of the track leads to magical places before the take off at 6.00. Another crushing melody from 7.10, getting prominence from 8.07. Cruising now at Supersonic speeds greater than Mach 20's. :-)
Aclyone- Well just while we start summarizing up that it couldn't be any better, Aclyone steps in with the screaming acid line and that boiling up beat effects. Not much time is required to understand where this is taking us. The accelerator is pressed at 1.30 and we gain more and more speed. Sonic Layers and its complex orchestration starts at 2.10. By around 5.13, its clear and all of sudden we start to realize that this entire album is on a totally different level . Moving on have now officially passed over the heliopause and that shock center crossing at 3.55, simply amazing. From 7.13 cruising in some space craft, at Mach 40+ speeds, asteroids and planets seems to fly past in micro seconds.
Electra- The Emperor & the Heavy weight champ of the entire genre. Audacious Intense Beautiful Powerful Awesome. No drop in speed here, just pushes and pushes to unimaginable fastness. Layers are intelligently and beautifully woven over and over, setting us up for the fantastic climax. High energy bass kick set in immediately & The gears are shifted at 1.30. We slowly realize we are approaching Light speeds at 2.04. What follows has to be just experienced.
At 5.32 we are traversing the cosmos at light speeds and readying ourselves for that unprecedented climax. But then just when you think you can’t take more of this intense energy, standby for classical climax Mayhem which starts at 7.35. Oh! What an energy. Ears are burning. I have seen people unable to move by now, on dance floor for the sheer intensity.
Asterope- While we all try to figure out where we have reached after that high energy travel, 'Asterope' is just the track to guide us where we are by now, by slowing us down just a little. Post that Alien breaths at the beginning and the picture starts to clear before us, revealing the amazing place we have been taken to. Beautiful melodies build and build over one another, and guide us deeper and deeper and at 9.25 its pure bliss. Long track.
Celaeno - Just one beautiful musical piece of blissful melodies placed into the end carefully, to help us to someway reach back onto ground. Amazing level of intricately composed down-tempo layers. But most of us by now would be pondering what has just happened before this & trying hard to get ourselves grounded somewhere to make a sense of it all.
The complex layers, melodies, synths, energy and more importantly the intelligence and ideas embedded is just on the different level in this epic piece of musical history. It does so in an extremely audacious, provocative, classy and highly intelligent way.
Something must have got into Carlo's mind while he begun writing these songs, while one of his hand was broken in 96.That unusual something combined with effort from entire team is what has ultimately paved the way to this "Undisputed Heavyweight Champion" of Goa Trance to emerge. 20+ years of its release, it just continues to stand and deliver.
Just praying if they could regroup together somehow and create more.
A+
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

For more than 20 years I have psychedelic goa trance relapses now and then. Every time I plunge into the genre this album floats nearby. I can imagine, that next two decades could be the same. Timeless music.

1 hour ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

While IFO is rated as the best Oldschool Goa Album ever, i think it is just Good...i would have given it a solid (B Grade)

but because of its coherence and continus quality its for me a A-

Strongest Track for me is Alcyone for sure 

I respect Your point of view although I differentiate opinions about albums and opinions about milestones ;), I'm also not a worshipper of some ultra-top classics.

• 2 months later...

For me personally the Hallucinogen Twisted album scores a couple of notches higher when rating the overall amount of tracks I enjoy on that album. But that doesn't take away anything really from the greatness of this album, it's a classic for a reason. And well deserved, the mood on this album is special, very organic and indeed as everyone will point out, alienesque. That's also something I think it has in common with the Hallucinogen Twisted album, which to me is the very essence of otherworldly immersive and above all lysergic music.

Everyone once in a while I put on Pleiadians-Maia, just to see if it still has the magic, and yes it does. :) The momentum and build of this track is truly remarkable. It's a very moody track, it has sentimental tonalities as well as very energetic driving parts, which are all perfectly interconnected. For a seamless visuospatial travelling experience at hypersonic velocities, to the Pleiades star cluster and back. 

When I visualize the IFO album, to me it's a kinda dark dimensional trip through space, while the Twisted album is very colorful and glowing. There is something archaic over the IFO album, as if you're witnessing some artifact from a very old civilization, from a far away galaxy. Which still sounds familiar somehow, as if there's a connection through the vast universe and the space-time continuum. A dimensional pathway between two vastly different worlds, beyond the limitations of the current human technology. A music from the future or from the past, depending on your relative position in space and time.

I truly enjoy listening to the IFO album and Twisted album comparing them, each a pillar and commensurate achievement in its own way. 

• 3 months later...

Since Dragonfly Records made a comeback in 2019. Maybe this majestic album could get a reissue? The universe isn’t complete without the Pleiades star cluster. ;) 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:02 AM, AstralSphinx said:

Since Dragonfly Records made a comeback in 2019. Maybe this majestic album could get a reissue? The universe isn’t complete without the Pleiades star cluster. ;) 

You mean like this?

https://www.discogs.com/Pleiadians-IFO-Identified-Flying-Object/release/7000604

On 9/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, thanosp81 said:

Yeah and like this reissue on Dragonfly Records in 2006 as well:

https://www.discogs.com/Pleiadians-IFO-Identified-Flying-Object/release/2095783

Point beeing no version is currently available online on the digital platforms. Kinda sad.

Neither on Dragonfly Records nor on DAT Records (Which doesn’t even exist anymore). Atleast not on Bandcamp. :) And the online store on the DAT Records store is closed. And yes I know they changed name to DAT Universe. Still, it doesn’t adress the availability of this album so far.

And I’m not into old obsolete mediums such as the CD, Vinyl and Cassette formats. And I’m sure many more aren’t either. I think this music deserves to be available for a new generation as well, on all platforms. For a wider reach.

It’s a recurring issue with Classic Goa Trance unfortunately. There always seems to be some essential classics, that are somehow missing from the online distribution. It’s just the way things goes, I’m hopeful however that this pillar of Goa Trance history, hopefully it will someday be available to a wider public once more.

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago if one searched for this album plus Spotify on google. The Spotify placeholder that came up was with the 1997 release date and Dragonfly Records as the copyrights holder. Now instead the placeholder shows DAT Records 2017 in the copyrights. Maybe somethings are moving along in the right direction? Hope so. B)