Label: Transient

Date: 1997

Track listing:

01. 10'56" Howling At The Moon

02. 07'58" Psychofunk

03. 07'43" Atomic Funfare

Review:

Really good EP by one of my favorite artists. While full-on psytrance

is outa fashion nowadays, this one is good reminder for good old days.

Cosmosis is still releasing great music also under Mumbo Jumbo and

Laughing Buddha, and I truly hope that the current minimal age won't

"overcome" Bilbo's musical line.

And for the EP itself... T1 (also in Pulse 3) is an excellent baggin

hard tune, a real classic, one of Cosmosis' finest. T2 is in the same

style, a bit more funky (wonder why ;) and with a catchier melody. T3 is

the weakest one here. kinda pointless acid melody in a very old-skoolish

tune compares to the first two. It's pretty ok though, but way not in

Howling at the Moon league. I'd give the whole thing an 8.5/10 !

Guest stelium[at]infonie[dot]fr

I just know the first track [howling at the moon], listen to this excellent

song! Magnificent!

Guest Rumz

Howling at the moon is cosmosis best ever track...really full on and intense

with tight little swirly noises and mad effects... takes a while to really

kick in though.

Guest weird, sick, twisted

Mumbo Jumbo isn't just Cosmosis - it's also DJ Kuma, the crustiest crusty in

crustyland.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Cosmogenesis

"Howling at the moon" is certainly one of the most well-know Cosmosis track, with "San Yacid" or "Key to the Innerverse" also. But in this 12', I still prefer "Psychofunk" which delivers an impressive and spectacular finish with a sensation of infinity. However, my two Cosmosis favourite tunes remain "Telekinetic" and "Gift of the Gods". :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i hope that Bill rerelase this track one day , as he did with Akashic album

for me , this is the best track he eva created

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

R-90120-1201518128.jpg

Artist: Cosmosis
Title: Howling at the Moon EP
Label: Transient Records
Date: January, 1997

1. Howling at the Moon
2. Atomic Funfare
3. Psychofunk

Here is another one of the icons in our genre. The first two albums Cosmology and Synergy are pure goa trance classics. It has been Bilbo Bagginz porject since 1997 and he is still going having released Fumbling for the Funky Frequency just last year. What is it about the U.K. that fosters such musical brilliance?

pcs7027_a.jpg

YQcYFXf.png

XfIoNXy.jpg

Tell me you didn't rub one out to Ginger and I will call you a liar to your face.,...I mean c'mon it almost isn't fair that this little island with horrible climate tasteless food should be so prodigious. What else are you gonna do I suppose. Purely our gain, because the music of Cosmosis is timeless. The Transient Records label is another stalwart responsible for countless EP's and seminal releases. Hell the Transient series of compilations is pure gold...well, right up to about 5.

Howling at the Moon- Widely regarded as THE Cosmosis track, I am in no position to argue. 11 minutes of pure goa psychedelia. It churns, it gurgles and it's alien sounding intro just gets me salivating. Sharp stabbing effects fire upon a shimmering synth line and if you're looking for a gentle entry into sound this ain't for you. The lead is prickly, being filtered to within an inch of its life. At the break when things attempt to calm down it is just the calm before the storm as a new melody springs forth. It twirls above the pounding bass, becoming thicker and more bold. The climax at 5 and a half minutes makes me weak, alas Bill is just getting warmed up. The track refocuses as more and more leads join the fray. Enter 303 and it is all about surrender. The key changes at the end just keep getting pitched up as he pushes the envelope. Purely hypnotic goa trance. Perfect.

Atomic Funfare- The bass dances lithely as outer space effects curl and drag. A sticky bass sound chimes out a goa melody as another lead is chopped up giving the track some structure. And that's what he does, produces melody after melody without missing a step. Some are different, some the same to make the track fatter. Whereas Howling was an assault, this is more subtle, but no less melodic. He teases, giving you a little and then pulls back just to make sure he has you on the hook. Great track.

Psychofunk- With an Astral Projection type sounding melody to start more sharp leads arrive. They are twisted and check out the flutter of that hi-hat! The synths combine and the 303 is of course the most prominent as it climbs and climbs. And yes, it is slightly funky. Nonstop arpeggio after arpeggio that still maintains the flow. A dreamlike break (kinda) allows for the synths to growl and grow in intensity. Then it's POW! In your face 303 insanity. The climax is melodic and very rhythmic as previous melodies spiral about the cortex. Superb!

An awesome trip is what this was. As I said before, Cosmosis tracks are timeless and superbly well crafted. Rhythmic and melodic through and through. These three tracks are wonderful, and even though Howling at the Moon is available on a few compilations, Atomic Funfare and Psychofunk are much harder to find. So if you come across this buried in the back of your favorite record shop (are they even around anymore?) pick it up. Fast.

Mdk

Edited by Trance2MoveU

• 10 years later...

Year 2021, post covid19 apocalypse. As a survivor of planet earth, I still enjoy this great track after all this time.

Safe to say one of the best goa track of all time. For me it's up there with Etnica - Vimana, Gaia - Mai Mai, Pleiadians - Maya, Astral Projection - Searching for UFO's, Laughing Buddha - Astral Traveller, RA - R.O.M., Cosmsosis - Spores From Space, Hallucinogen - Shakey Shaker, Prana - Alien Pets and other gems