Infected Mushroom - The Gathering

Children

Return of the Shadows was one of the first tracks I ever heard from IM on a burned CDr while tripping on mushrooms for the first time. It's to date one of my all time favorite tracks! It really exites me, the intro drops, the mood, the tempo, the variations, the funny sound effects haha, the details coming and going all over, the very kool guitar riffs that rushes the track along, the everything. Love. Mucho Musho powa love! Grr! whra! Whra! Whraoww!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Return of the Shadows was one of the first tracks I ever heard from IM on a burned CDr while tripping on mushrooms for the first time. It's to date one of my all time favorite tracks! It really exites me, the intro drops, the mood, the tempo, the variations, the funny sound effects haha, the details coming and going all over, the very kool guitar riffs that rushes the track along, the everything. Love. Mucho Musho powa love! Grr! whra! Whra! Whraoww!

this album creeped me out the first time i listened to it

theres no way id be able to listen to this on psychedelics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this album creeped me out the first time i listened to it

theres no way id be able to listen to this on psychedelics

recommended is psycho on magic mushrooms in a dark forest!!!! ultimate eeriness!!!

• 3 weeks later...

No offense to IM fans, but this album is average and nothing more. There are not enough good parts to love it and not enough silly parts to hate it. I don't see any reason to listen to this more than one time. Astral Projection produced much better tunes years before the release of 'The Gathering'. Maybe it's just the name 'Infected Mushroom' that led people to the conclusion that these guys are producing quality psychedelic trance, a nice marketing trick of course. ;)

No offense to IM fans, but this album is average and nothing more. There are not enough good parts to love it and not enough silly parts to hate it. I don't see any reason to listen to this more than one time. Astral Projection produced much better tunes years before the release of 'The Gathering'. Maybe it's just the name 'Infected Mushroom' that led people to the conclusion that these guys are producing quality psychedelic trance, a nice marketing trick of course. ;)

:wank: :wank: :wank:

Wow, :lol:

They're later stuff is no where near as good... so its hardly the name.

• 3 months later...

I don't like this either - seems pretty amateurish in comparison to their follow-up "classical mushroom".

However, Return Of The Shadows is an exception in my book. What a track... :)

• 5 years later...

dyq9SDg.jpg

Artist: Infected Mushroom

Title: The Gathering

Label: HOMmega Productions

Date: June, 1999

1. Release Me

2. The Gathering

3. Return of the Shadows

4. Blue Muppet

5. Psycho

6. Montoya Remix

7. Tommy The Bat

8. Virtual Voyage

9. Over Mode

"I know there is much we can learn from each other if we can negotiate a truce. We can find a way to co-exist. Can there be a peace between us?"

Normally when someone peaks very early it's met with faux surprise and hollow protestations that this has never happened before.

UG3yXQ1.jpg

Even superheroes feel the pressure.

There are apologies and awkward glances back and forth. Both parties seemingly in a hurry to leave the situation behind them and file it away as one of life's experiences. They eventually move on, but they will always have that moment.

And that's my opinion of IM. This psy/goa masterpiece is a milestone in psychedelic music and definitely in their discography. Trippy at every turn it's a journey of layers that never fails to satisfy. Listening to them now you wouldn't believe it to be the same guys. Sure they've continued to use some of the same techniques found here, but even their filler on this album is top notch. Psychedelic music with goa trance elements, their style was always more experimental that wouldn't be confined to any singular box. Their only style is not to stick to a style. It's overwhelming at times and if I were the type to do drugs the cover alone would scare the crap outta me. Being discovered by that sneering alien chick with the pointy nipples as she peers over a huge mushroom?

Is she gonna eat a brother?

There is a sinister Tim Burton movie to be made here. Want a bonus? HOMmega, a label not known for doing a lot right released a remastered version a few years ago. I bought my copy post haste. Perfect for those deluded souls who think IM is nothing but horrendous vocals and commercial nonsense.

Beatspace(Digital Download)

Mdk

• 7 years later...

This album truly is a trip down memory lane. It’s remarkable how on point the style and concept was with their debut Infected Mushroom album. The artwork alone is just perfect. It captures the essence of what they set out to do over their very long and illustrous career. And I’m amazed at how refined the visual aspect is in retrospect, the backside of the album artwork in particular is so cool. With a bunch of humanoid shrooms, dancing away at some weird and maybe alien warehouse. Complete with a shroomy alien-looking DJ. 

I still remember vividly how the first tracks I heard by Infected Mushroom were Where is the S, and the Montoya Remix. On some Destination Goa compilation. The style on those tracks stood out a lot at the time, compared to the rest of the tracks on those compilations. It felt very refreshing at the time, the combination of a darker atmosphere with a really mushroom inspired soundscape. Which is also imbued with some electric guitars and melodies which even on the first album at times had hints of the classical influence, which they would go on to explore in-depth on the second album.

In retrospect not all tracks on this album have aged as gracefully as those on the second album. The storytelling aspect is indeed stronger on the second album. But there is still a lot of interesting sounds and moods on offer here, sometimes they hit homerun like in Return of The Shadows. Which is a really scaled back track in terms of layers and use of delays/reverbs. Which makes it sound really good even today, it’s a clean and very clear sound. And I actually think this track might’ve been quite formative for the Dark Psy genre, since a lot of its traits can be found on in that genre. I really like the keychanges as well in the bassline, those are not as common in todays Psytrance as they used to be. (For reasons which I will not delve into here, but which I don't agree with).

Not all tracks on here are perfect, but I will always appreciate this album for what it is,and what it did for the genre. And this album needs to be evaluated, against the backdrop of the era during which it was created. The 90’s was a very different time indeed, on so many levels.

Some bonus trivia that Duvdev told in a recent interview about this album. Is that this album initially was rejected by a lot of labels. Until finally one label understood the vision. I would love to know which labels it was that turned this album down. Surely a bad decision in hindsight, which they must be reminded of everytime IM releases a new album.