Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Children

Another magnificent product from Posford, Lone Deranger rocks. I can't say

which is better, this or Twisted; both rock. My favourites: Horrorgram!,

Snarling(Rmx)!!, Gamma Goblins part 2!, Deranger!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Davidtolsn

awesome album, not *quite* as good as twisted. whereas on twisted, every track

could easily be called a favorite, some of these couldn't (1, 4, 5, 8). it

seems simon tried to get slightly more artistic in this one (using

nonelectronic sounds), a small move in the direction of shpongle. this still

remains a masterpiece, and easily one of the best cds ever made. 9.5/10

• 1 month later...

Demention (A1) is good, alright... at first it might be somewhat slow and dull,

but after a while you start grasping it's complex way of behaving. It's a warm

up track filled with lot's of twisted sounds and tweaked melody layers, an

everchanging bassline accompanied by good rythmical percussion makes it an

interesting listen. Shakey Shaker (A2) has almost the same sort of beginning

as that of Demention but it turns out much more energetic, kicks of almost

right away with some twisted noises and then makes a break later on. Good

melody layers here as well, driving melodies, melodies that makes you wanna

get up and dance, or just... listen. Shakey Shaker is probably one of my

favorite tracks on this album. Horrorgram (B1) picks up some very needed

speed, and after listening to some shpongle music (ex. my head feels like a

frisbee) before this one I couldn't help but notice the same kind of build up

right before where the melody layer kicks in. Very uplifting melody sequence

I'd say, even if the name of the track contradicts it. Good party atmosphere

throughout the track. Deranger (B4), this is really one very kick ass track,

probably that's why I bought the singel (which also contained Gamma Goblins

(Part 1), another wickedly trippy track). Another energetic track containing

bubbling/tweaked melody layers and weird noises, a bit full on IMO. Gamma

Goblins (Part 2) (C5) is as Part 1, quite experimental, but more

psychedelically enhanced, and about 2 minutes longer. Quite good track with a

very abstract and abrupt ending... but I'd still prefer Part 1. Snarling

(Remix) (C6), starts promising, twisted stuff added later on... it's not one

of the better tracks on the album, but it still contains some interesting

sounds. Trancespotter (D7) is to me a bit too weird, it's seemingly divided

into two parts (or at least S. Posford makes it sound that way), one slow in

the beginning, and then the faster second part after a break in the middle. I

like the faster part better, very good melody sequence added somewhere at the

middle of the second part. Jiggle Of The Sphinx (D8) is not extremely good,

except for the wicked celtic stuff in the latter half of the track. That's

actually the only thing I listen to when I have this track up and spinning.

The Lone Deranger is a very successful album IMO... packed with some very

interesting and diverse tracks, this makes it possible to listen over and over

again without ever really getting tired of it. 9/10

• 3 years later...

This Album Should Be send in space with radiowaves as greetings from planet

earth

469947[/snapback]

+1

It should also say - PS: "Even though most humans are idiots, we have some really good music!"

• 3 months later...

Never really go into this album. It starts off really well but the rest of the tracks have nothing that holds my attention. It's like twisted but more so! This one peters out much quicker :(

I know everyone else loves it but I never got it :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Never really go into this album. It starts off really well but the rest of the tracks have nothing that holds my attention. It's like twisted but more so! This one peters out much quicker sad.gif

I know everyone else loves it but I never got it huh.gif

It isn't our fault you don't get it. You're probably one of those people who thinks this is real life too. Wait. That made no sense. P

I just saw my so-called "Universal Review" on the earlier page. I keep getting reminded how unaware I was when reading some of my earlier stuff.

SP should make a third Hallucinogen album, groundbreaking like the first two.

He should most definitely make a third Hallucinogen album that is beyond amazing and truly inventive, innovative, and groundbreaking. For the people of the music world-wide and out of this world.

Would you ever settle for anything less from a genius of Simon Posford's calibre?

• 2 months later...

One of the best Simon's Posford albums ever.

Very mature, evolving, mystic, aggressive, chillin, touchy.

Going from psytrance-to house elements and back to psytrance.

A very memorable cd for me.

A must have for a psytrance lover even now!

Hear it after 10 years, and after more 10 and 10........and you will believe your ears.

This dude had made the 'Evolving' psytrance reality. :)

A gem.

HALLUCINOGEN - THE LONE DERANGER
TWISTED RECORDS

deranger.jpg

Track list:

01. 07'17" Demention - A
02. 06'22" Shakey Shaker - A
03. 08'36" Trancespotter - A
04. 07'32" Horrorgram - A-
05. 06'47" Snarling (Rmx) - A-
06. 08'47" Gamma Goblins Part 2 - A-
07. 07'33" Deranger - A
08. 06'40" Jiggle Of The Sphinx - B+ / A-

1. Demention is an excellent opening. It's intriguing, powerful, driving, and gripping throughout. What more could you ask for? A

2. Shakey Shake is one of the most unique songs in electronic music. The synth work is groundbreaking and strikingly catchy. A

3. Trancespotter I find even more impressive than the previous song. Again, the synth work is awesome. More seem to take place here. The song's loaded with cool soundscapes, melody structures, and an infectious synth lead. Superb song! A

4. Horrorgram is full of ideas, speeds, tunes, and more. I'm not in love with it, though it's interesting and catchy! I find the overall sounds and melodies less arresting than the previous songs. Having a less intense one after the previous two is smart though. The track title also doesn't reflect the tone of the song very much in my opinion. That said, this is a great number! A-

5. Snarling (Rmx) is great for those who liked the original. It's grown on me, though its catchiest synth/sound we've heard before on the debut. Over the years I've found this song the least groundbreaking or necessary track on the album. I would have loved another wild demon such as Shakey Shake, Trancespotter, or Deranger, but it's great (with lots of cool modification work) nonetheless. Consider this Snarling Upgraded! A-

6. Gamma Goblins Part 2 is more involved, probably because the original was more developed. With this sequel track, the artist goes as far as to artistically rearrange and alter sounds of running water droplets, dripping into actual sound variations. This is just one of many interesting, creative details on the album. Anyway, the overall song is excellent. A-

7. Deranger is another technical achievement. Again, the synth work is superb and surrounded by wonderful supporting sounds, direction, etc. Another groundbreaking song. Well done. A

8. Jiggle Of The Sphinx is the last track. I never found it excellent. I like the celtic Goa melody in that it's unexpected and cleverly mixed into the psytrance. The song, though was quite catchy sound/beat-wise, had no memorable melody before it arrived. I think this last song is a cool track, but more like a bonus, fun tale added on after an amazing journey. You either like celtic melodies you don't. The song correlates less with the other-worldly mood and feel established with previous songs on the album. So it's a little odd. He did it for a reason. Overall, the song is good, if not great in my opinion. But different from what many people may have expected to end a Hallucinogen album. B+ / A-

Weaknesses
1.) The remixes are great, but I prefer new song additions. The remixes are simply less fresh and inventive regardless of their innovations and modifications (to me). That said, they're strong.

2.) The debut has more emotion. I've never taken L.S.D. to L.S.D. but that track alone on the debut is more feeling than anything on this sequel. There isn't a track here that touches me as deeply and as effectively as the general tracks on Twisted, feeling wise (though I get pretty excited hearing this album).

In conclusion, The Lone Deranger is what I consider a masterpiece along with Twisted and Pleiadian's I.F.O. It reflects a visionary artist. Simon Postford is the most well known artist in Psychedelic Goatrance. The Lone Deranger is like an ultra-powerful and mysterious, constantly changing alien spirit filled with darkness and light. This is Goa-Trance in one of its most rare and potent forms, whether you like it or not. It's dark, twisted, and arresting. Every track is non-linear, imaginative, elaborate, involving, evolving, and more or less infectious. This is one of the most creative, free-spirited albums out there. The work is done by an expert technician who's talent is innovation, catchy, experimental sounds and melody structures, complex mixing, form and flow. He makes melodic sentences out of varying, altered and echoed water droplets for heck sake! Raising the bar on creativity is another reason why it would be wonderful to hear a third Hallucinogen album. The album however incorporates less emotive influence compared to Twisted, and that may be its Achilles heal. That said, The Lone Deranger is a smashing follow-up to an impressive debut. This may be the greatest sequel to any Psychedelic Goa-Trance album out there.

Favorite Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7

A

Samples

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/twi/twi1cd001.html

• 7 months later...

01. 07'17" Demention - A-

02. 06'22" Shakey Shaker - A

03. 08'36" Trancespotter - A

04. 07'32" Horrorgram - A-

05. 06'47" Snarling (Rmx) - B+ / A-

06. 08'47" Gamma Goblins Part 2 - A-

07. 07'33" Deranger - A

08. 06'40" Jiggle Of The Sphinx - A-

I'd say

01. 07'17" Demention - A

02. 06'22" Shakey Shaker - B

03. 08'36" Trancespotter - C

04. 07'32" Horrorgram - C

05. 06'47" Snarling (Rmx) - C

06. 08'47" Gamma Goblins Part 2 - C

07. 07'33" Deranger - C

08. 06'40" Jiggle Of The Sphinx - D

not my cup of tea at all! Nothing about his album grips me. Twisted was good. all the shpongles were good. Celtic cross was good but I just find this album to be disappointing :wank:

I'd say

01. 07'17" Demention - A

07. 07'33" Deranger - C

Did you have fun doing that? It looks like you had fun doing that.

I'd say

01. 07'17" Demention - A

07. 07'33" Deranger - C

Abasio, what exactly are these tracks missing when they have deserved C??? not enough psychedelia, weak structure, cheeseness??

Abasio, what exactly are these tracks missing when they have deserved C??? not enough psychedelia, weak structure, cheeseness??

C in my book is a passing grade okay to listen to but nothing special.

IMO these tracks lack the journey aspect I loved about lots of goa/psy. Also I didn't find them that psychedelic enough. A lot of music when I close my eyes I see visions, hallucinations without taking any drugs. Maybe these tracks sound good when intoxicated but I have never tried substances when listening to this album because at the end of the day I find it too cheesy especially Jiggle of the Sphinx it really sounds like a nursery rhyme. I have always found Simon Posford's music to be cheesy but most of it lands on the fun & enjoyable side of cheese. This album though for me is too cheesy. The melodies are to poppy and the sounds grate on my nerves rather than take me down into a dreamy haze. Oh yeah & the samples I know a lot of people love, I hate especially the 1st one there is an area of the mind..... I know a lot of people loved this & repeated it over and over again but I find it too long & really cheesy & used in LSD mixes so sounded old rehashed I tired when I heard on this album.

There are a lot of much better albums than this out there. Albums with more energy, that are more psychedelic, are more fun without being as cheesy.

Sorry Simon P but you have only made 1 great solo album IMO

When it comes time to decide what I'll listen to I never get tempted to put this on anymore.

abasio,

C for DERANGER ?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

SHAME ON YOU MAN... shame on you. :P

Yeah! I know how much people love this album but I just never got into it. It's not bad ('cept the last track) it's just not very good in my ears. Maybe they need a clean but there is much more music I think is better than this album :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

... these tracks lack the journey aspect I loved about lots of goa/psy. Also I didn't find them that psychedelic enough...

:blink:

Now I can see why you don't like latest Prometheus album. You have no clue ;):P:D

But seriously, if anyone asked me for examples of journeyesque and psychedelic tracks, then "Trancespotter", "Horrorgram" & "Deranger" would definitely be among the ones I'd list. Jeezzz! This 'taste' thing gets really weird sometimes, but then on the other hand that's what makes for a lot of diversity in music (and life in general), so it's all good. :)

:blink:

Now I can see why you don't like latest Prometheus album. You have no clue ;):P:D

But seriously, if anyone asked me for examples of journeyesque and psychedelic tracks, then "Trancespotter", "Horrorgram" & "Deranger" would definitely be among the ones I'd list. Jeezzz! This 'taste' thing gets really weird sometimes, but then on the other hand that's what makes for a lot of diversity in music (and life in general), so it's all good. :)

:)

Yeah, people NEED different tastes ;)

For me a journey must be perfect with nothing to distract me so if there is something out of place then I can't travel. Usually with Simon P's work that thing is his samples. They grate on my nerves & so I find it impossible to get lost in his tracks. Only the sample in LSD do I like but I could do without even that one ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I was listening to this album again last night at 2:30am while speeding on the intersate. Tastes definitely differ but I love the creative work in some of the tracks and moments on this album. I find the overall work darkly magical, musically rich, and filled with imagination, details within details, unpredictable moments, catchy experimentation/innovations, and more. However I feel this album is a technical accomplishment over a loving (emotive) piece, and in that sense it doesn't connect with me on the same level certain tracks on the debut Twisted did. Nonetheless, I always seem to gain more insight or expression that this album has to offer the more I listen to it.

Favorites: Demention, Shakey Shake, Trancespotter, Deranger

I love those four songs. This is one of the most unique, artistic, and ambitious Psy/Goa-Trance album I've ever heard. Like any album it isn't for everyone.

For me a journey must be perfect with nothing to distract me so if there is something out of place then I can't travel. Usually with Simon P's work that thing is his samples. They grate on my nerves & so I find it impossible to get lost in his tracks. Only the sample in LSD do I like but I could do without even that one wink.gif

I understand what Abasio is saying. There are few samples on this album however, one taking place in the beginning before the album even begins to a degree. I have never taken any drugs while listening to this album either. The last track does take me out of the "deeper" trance. If Simon Postford wants and/or intends to make a full self-discovery, connective [subconscious to The "Source"] spiritural album without question, he needs to go back to the drawing board. He must capitialize on the "trance" inducing element without one bit of that "breaking the listeners connection" distraction. However, I am not grading or judging this album based on how well it puts me in a state where I can visit the astral realms, get consistent visual hallucinations, or stay tranced. I am looking at this album musically, technically, and consciously. For that matter I would have to add different grades to virtually every GOA album I've ever heard if I wanted to incomrporate how well and consistently each album tranced me. Simon Postford clearly tried multiple things upon producing this album. In doing so he made wonderful elements that affect the conscious and/or subconscious state and/or mind. When you mix the two it often sounds more interesting to hear consciously, but subconsciously the most little thing taking place can pull a listener out of the trance and thus he or she has less change to get further lost and/or aware in the astral realms.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...