Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Children

I always found TLD to be a lot less interesting than Twisted, at least to my ears.

The lack of melodies in almost every track makes it a very emotionless and flat trip to my senses.

And talking about melodies.. Jiggle Of The Sphinx just sounds particularly awful to me, i can't stand listening to those celtic synths.. makes me feel irritated.

:)

Yeah, people NEED different tastes ;)

For me a journey must be perfect with nothing to distract me so if there is something out of place then I can't travel. Usually with Simon P's work that thing is his samples. They grate on my nerves & so I find it impossible to get lost in his tracks. Only the sample in LSD do I like but I could do without even that one ;)

WHAT!?!?!?

WHAT!?!?!?

Yeah, people NEED different tastes

For me a journey must be perfect with nothing to distract me so if there is something out of place then I can't travel. Usually with Simon P's work that thing is his samples. They grate on my nerves & so I find it impossible to get lost in his tracks. Only the sample in LSD do I like but I could do without even that one

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT!?!?!?

As with Psy albums, you need to close yourself in a dark room, turn it up loud, and pay full attention to the music. I had this problem too with Dragon Tales and Deranger, but after a session in a dark room the magic of them really hit me, and I love being sucked into Posford's Twisted world... this one's even more Twisted than Twisted. Trancespotter is my personal favourite, for some reason you can feel yourself descending into the underworld when the shamanic mumblings begin...

Only the sample in LSD do I like but I could do without even that one

the lsd sample is the only thing I don't like at Hallucinogens work : just a typical goa sample (And I don't agree at what he(ken kesey is it?) is saying!(but thats off topic) I like the samples of gamma gobbelins pt 2 , shamanix or demention much more!

WHAT!?!?!?

As with Psy albums, you need to close yourself in a dark room, turn it up loud, and pay full attention to the music. I had this problem too with Dragon Tales and Deranger, but after a session in a dark room the magic of them really hit me, and I love being sucked into Posford's Twisted world... this one's even more Twisted than Twisted. Trancespotter is my personal favourite, for some reason you can feel yourself descending into the underworld when the shamanic mumblings begin...

Done that and it still sounded cheesy! This is just one album that it'll be too hard to get over the cheese factor :blink:

the lsd sample is the only thing I don't like at Hallucinogens work : just a typical goa sample (And I don't agree at what he(ken kesey is it?) is saying!(but thats off topic) I like the samples of gamma gobbelins pt 2 , shamanix or demention much more!

Probably nostalgia :rolleyes:

Ken Kesey, really? If it was Ken Kesey I'd love it even more :D Honestly though there are lots of samples out there that I totally disagree with and still love, but it doesn't matter for me personally so long as it fits the track well. And that sample really, really fits the track well...

As for Lone Deranger I've tried and tried to appreciate it and again and again I just switch off and start thinking about something else, lights on or off. I don't really know what it is about the album since there's nothing there that should really disinterest me so much, but it still manages it :unsure:

• 3 years later...

Posted Image

Artist: Hallucinogen

Title: The Lone Deranger

Label: Twisted

Date: September, 1997

1. Demention

2. Snakey Shaker

3. Trancespotter

4. Horrorgram

5. Snarling (Remix)

6. Gamma Goblins Pt. 2

7. Deranger

8. Jiggle of the Sphinx

"There is a...an area of the mind which could be called unsane, beyond sanity. Yet not insane. Think of a circle with a fine split in it. One end is insanity, you go around the circle to sanity. And on the other end of the circle close to insanity, but not insanity, is unsanity."

This is only the 2nd time I've heard this album.

Posted Image

Yeah I know, how can I call myself a true goa fan? Life happens and life's events get in the way. I listened to it once long ago and knew I didn't like it as much as Twisted (his first album). And that seems to be the prevailing feeling among the masses. I don't blame him, I mean how do you follow a legendary debut? I'm sure everyone was waiting for Twisted Part II. Think of this as a step in a more psychedelic and less melodic direction. While Twisted was chock full of goa stormers that strung out melodies like kids with taffy, there are less twirling opportunities here. At least for me. But by no means is this a dip in quality. It's just...different. It's more thumping with an aggressive edge. And you know what? The more I listen to it the more I believe It's still a classic in its own right.

Demention kicks the door in with it's loud and forceful way and immediately you know that this isn't Twisted. Gone are the twirling, long spirals of melody, but the goa vibe is still there. I wasn't as moved by Snakey Shaker as the majority, but taste is taste as they say. Trancespotter seems to find the correct balance between garbled psychedelia and melodic intensity. The laugh and rising electronic wave before the gibberish is evil as this track regroups and keeps firing on all cylinders. How did you like the fluid tempo change in Horrorgram? Goes nicely with the effects that's for sure. Snarling displays pumping nastiness as if someone threw you a lifeline composed of barbed wire. Gamma Golblins Pt. 2 has a wicked clowns thing going on and is pure psytrance. I love the liquid sounds along with the goblins a la Talpa on Trust No Goblin. Very psychedelic.

Deranger is so twisted (see what I did there) with heavy cyber overtones and some of those long melodies that were on his first album. A bridge if you will. And Jiggle?

Posted Image

Everytime I hear that Celtic crap I wanna smash his hardware. Which is a shame because I enjoyed the track up to that point.

I've come to realize that comparing this to Twisted is like comparing chocolate to ice cream. Both are awesome, but they are different. All the tracks have a depth that cannot be appreciated after a few listens. Simon is an electronic head case that bends sounds to his will getting maximum points for creativity. I understand when people say that while they loved Twisted they just can't get into this one. Unlike the debut, this one isn't as user friendly or accesible. Once you can get past the fact that he didn't make another debut album, you set yourself up for quite a psychedelic experience.

Mdk

• 1 month later...

Guys (relative to pages 5 & 6), everyone has their opinions. I like bacon. My girlfriend hates it. To each their own. Respect.

Now about this album..

I just raised my score from a 10 to a 20, haha. Kidding.

Demention is a solid A from me though.

One last thiing.. grades/ scores... even though I still do it, you either enjoy it or you don't. I mean, when I try to put labels on shit, I feel like I limit it. Maybe today I'm in less a mood to enjoy this song as much as tomorrow or the next day. It's all relative, subjective. Enjoy the music!

My full review (not that long actually) is on page 5. :)

• 4 years later...

20 years later, still the best goa/psy album ever made.

Nope, that's Cosmosis' "Synergy" but this one's pretty damn close :P

The thing that always surprises me the most listening to it nowadays, is how good the production is still - sure, there's much less emphasis on kick + bass, but (because of that) there's much more variety and freedom in the rhythm section - and by extension: in the album as a whole - to do interesting stuff, rather than that droning, mind-numbing KBBB (or K_BB alternatively) pattern underneath the squishy acids and stabby "melodies" that seem almost obligatory now. Timeless album indeed! :)

Nope, that's Cosmosis' "Synergy" but this one's pretty damn close :P

Nope, that's actually The Lone Deranger :P

But yeah, I've always been wondering where the basslines are on this album. I mean, I know they're there (of course) but they're like woven into the material so well that they just disappear, but still they're there doing their job :D

Of course this doesn't apply to all the tracks (Jiggle and Gamma Goblins mainly, and Deranger to some extent have quite distinct basslines). Edit: and Snarling too, so that's the 2nd half of the album.

And also, there's something going on basically all the time, constantly shifting and slipping in and out, especially all those little background layers that you might notice only after a few dozen listens :)

Edited by Paul Eye
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

It's aged some of the best of all music from that era.

I think it's the atmospheres created within the music as much as the production, but you can play this stuff on dancefloors and have it surrounded by post-2015 producers for hours either side. I saw Hallucinogen three times in the last 18 months, never once alongside other 90s acts, and he smashed it every single time.

As much as I love Cosmosis, for example, I am not sure the set he played at Connection Festival would have gone down the same.
He killed it at Connection amongst other old school acts and the occasional new school (he played after Goasia...) but that same set wouldn't have dominated in the slots I saw Simon tear apart. (Which for the record were Ozora 2016, Rainbow Serpent 2017 and Oregon Eclipse 2017.)

• 3 years later...

Wow this album is really something! I’ve been listening to this and the Twisted album a lot lately comparing them, to see how Hallucinogen’s style developed. Gamma Goblins pt 2 is some trippy cinematic stuff! Overall this album feels darker and rawer, but at the same time, more polished and refined production-wise.

The Korg MS-20 sounds that permeate this album are wicked! Just listen to those beautifully warped leads on Deranger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, astralprojection said:

@AstralSphinx

Not to mention the OSCar

What a beast! The filter resonance sings beautifully. :D  It would be really cool with a breakdown of some of Simon’s best tracks, of what synths were used for every part. The closest we’ve got is the studio interview were he speaks about his gear. Btw regarding the Oscar in that interview/studio tour it was broken I think, a common problem it seemed. I wonder if he used it om both his Hallucinogen albums?

In a more recent clip I watched he played some oriental synth lead solo on it, but in a downtempo tune. It sounded similar to the lead sound in his Anubis-Rites of Ra track. Maybe he used the Oscar in that old goa track as well? :) 

The only track I don’t really like on this album is Jiggle of The Sphinx, I always found the ending melody to sound way too celtic for an Egyptian themed song. :D Not that celtic melodies are bad per se, but this one I always found rather cheesy and out of place.

Omg my man is looking hella old didn't recognise him at first! Man, what an absolute legend. 

Jiggle of the sphinx is a hard track to love, but I still do love it. It was on tantrance 6 I think, together with lotus omega, crop Circles, and quirk. In that context, it's a beast track. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

Omg my man is looking hella old didn't recognise him at first! Man, what an absolute legend. 

An old Slinky Wizard, the Dark Magus.;) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

Jiggle of the sphinx is a hard track to love, but I still do love it. It was on tantrance 6 I think, together with lotus omega, crop Circles, and quirk. In that context, it's a beast track. 

Yes the track besides the celtic melody is very nice and imaginative. I always envisioned somekind of mechanical Sphinx statue starting to move/getting animated, in the intro part. :D But yeah not all songs are perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstralSphinx said:

Yes the track besides the celtic melody is very nice and imaginative. I always envisioned somekind of mechanical Sphinx statue starting to move/getting animated, in the intro part. :D But yeah not all songs are perfect. 

indeed and whats cool too is the "odd" time signature, it was not common in fact this track was the first i heard that switched up the signature like that.

• Like 1