Power Source - Cosmic Waves

Guest Stathis_gti

:ph34r: that's crazy, seeing that it's not very rare? Or maybe it is, just that it doesn't 'feel' rare because I own a copy...

266248[/snapback]

in Israel its rare....

im collecting music for 3 years now.. and i have not seen this album.... you can be sure that if i'll see it i'll sure buy it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Vorlan was awesome, as well as Memory Bubbles! Great moments in this album, and some weak ones, but great album at that time, even if there isn't Goaway track in it :) (Granada original was better too)

276395[/snapback]

Vorlan is realy great!

one of my alltimes top 10. :)

also the track thats comes after it is nice... forogt its name though

One of the best albums ever and imagine that Goaway isnt there.

I am willing to buy it for 50 euros if anyone has an original copy and wills to sale it.

Hope that Avatar releases this masterpiece anyway.

Average album on the whole.

The disappointment is that there are not in this album the 2 best tracks of Power source, namely Goaway and Granada (original mix). It is really a pity.

Except this, there are some good tracks like Vorlan and Memory Bubbles. The first is very melodic and quite soft, it is emotional trance. The second is quite close to Vorlan but far more powerful. There is a big melody, very good, but the bad point: there is a mind-blowing techno sound , which does not fit in a goa track.

As for X-train, it is clearly ludicrous, it sounds very amateur.

Global rating: 6,5/10.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

9N7PKlm.jpg

Artist: Power Source

Title: Cosmic Waves

Label: Melodia Records

Date: January, 1999

01. 08'58" Skywalker
02. 09'41" Volan
03. 09'31" Memory Bubbles
04. 09'16" Orient Express
05. 07'40" The X Train
06. 08'58" Zahadoom
07. 08'36" Hyperspace
08. 08'58" Granada (Rmx 98)

I'm gonna take an unpopular position here.

AUmJThe.gif

Skywalker- "It's the music of the Earth...the music of the sun and the stars. The music of yourself"

Flu-ffy. More epic trance than goa.

Vorlan however is magical and sets things right. Still a bit on the fluffy side, but gets the goa back on track.

Memory Bubbles is more aggressive and wields a shimmery sword, but they continue with the key changes that give the track a less substantial nitzhonot vibe. No offense Agneton, it's still a great track. The break with the bubbles and the shimmering acid is my favorite part of the entire disc. But oh, what coulda been...

Orient Express- Meh.

The X-Train-

U1dGmj1.gif

Yeah, it's that f*cking ridiculous.

Zahadoom- See Orient Express

Hyperspace- This one had some old school growl that didn't venture into cheesy town.

Granada (Rmx 98)- Despite the cringeworthy and goofy as f*ck sample this is one of the best on here. The original was better.

The whole thing sounds dated in terms of complexity and production. At various points it just wanders without direction. There are portions of most tracks that were great, but they just couldn't seem to put it all together. I'll term it goa lite, perfect for those who don't want to fully commit to the genre.

Classic? I don't think so.

Mdk

• 9 months later...

I have to listen to this release, since I've never seen such strictly divided opinions :). To each his own I guess, but from 'crap' through 'average' to 'the best' on only two pages? That's rich!

The only one who said this was "CRAP" was the opening reviewer. I can see how opening reviews can influence a thread to some degree, initially at least maybe. But you're adults. Listen to the album and decide for yourself. This is a great [old school goa] release IMO.

NOT a solid A from me but well done overall with numerous super songs! Who cares on grades in the end?

Just listen to the whole thing FREE here on YouTube. WTF are you people paying 50 euros for? Filteria's remix of Skywalker on V/A - Ten Spins Around the Sun is arguably perfect, fantastic.

X-Train can go lick balls. It's chuuu-chuuu train sound is immature sounding. It's hard to imagine the same artist made the other tracks. Goaway should have replaced X-Train; that would have made this album VERY strong.

Skywalker, Memory Bubbles, Vorlan, and Hyperspace are great, excellent. I think Orient Express is pretty cool, different. Zahadoom is overrated IMO. It's sound I grow tired of after a while. Not sure how anyone found it great but to each their own. As other posters said, the last track's original is better than this remix.

• 3 years later...

Yes, I have to agree with the other reviewers here: "Goaway" is the best track of Power Source. Typical of Matsuri to pick that track to put on a 12". "Gargamel" which is on the other side of the 12" is only ok; the piano sound that comes in a couple of times rather ruins the spell of the track. But "Goaway" is a fantastic track, one of the greats of Goa trance. Really scathing sawtooth leads that scythe and slice and would devastate on the dancefloor accompanied by a hypnotic beat that could go on forever. "Cosmic Waves" isn't quite up to this level. Like the 12", it is a bit of a mixed bag. "Vorlan", "Memory Bubbles" and "Hyperspace" are all good tracks, but some of the others are lemons. Nevertheless, the good tracks on it make it worthwhile. ~*~

• 4 months later...

I'd not listened to this album before, because so many people told me Goaway is by far the best Power Source track, and that most of this album is mediocre.

And they're right, on the whole. Except for the track Orient Express. It is absolutely fantastic. A much darker vibe, great pacing, tense leads, and a killer melody. Why has this not track not been mentioned before or highlighted more in this thread?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...