07. 06'53" Paradized

08. 06'40" Brain Cells

09. 06'37" Another Universe

10. 06'45" Tranceformation

Review:

I really think Brainfood is better than Classical Mushroom !!! I hate

Classical... and Brainfood is quite bad :-) Seriously, these songs are

psychedelic, ok, but too repetitive !!! If you listen to first minute of the

track, you've better skip it, since it's the same during the 5 minutes left.

Samples are also very cheesy !

Almost all the songs are bad and uninteresting, nevertheless Another Universe

is average. 2.5'10

• 4 years later...

This is very well produced, and has many ideas concerning mixing and production and stuff. The melodies are nice too, and the modulation is very hypnotic. I can imagine it's good for listening too while travelling by car in the mountains under a blue sky!

NICEY NICE

CYA

Guest antic

This is very well produced, and has many ideas concerning mixing and production and stuff. The melodies are nice too, and the modulation is very hypnotic. I can imagine it's good for listening too while travelling by car in the mountains under a blue sky!

NICEY NICE

CYA

You sure you're talking about Brainfood?! IMO this is one of the most boring CDs ever, I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't released on TIP and wasn't cheap... All tracks sound the same, are very linear - it sounds like he used the sequencer for the first time here. The spoken samples are lame for the most part.

2/5 from me. It is not bad, just below average...

• 2 years later...

I partially agree with Antic, the spoken samples are lame and don't really fit in, the production is also pretty bad, it's very repetitive, and you might say it's amateurish, but.....

I don't think it feels boring at all, I kinda like the crappy production and the repetitiveness in this album, ussually I hate it, but this one sounds so twisted that I really love it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I remember when I was first discovering goa trance. It was such an exciting time because it seemed that every release I found was better than the next. There was something magical and mystical in the music and the hunt was almost as exhilarating as the release.

But I'm older now. Wiser. Wrinklier. I have plenty of CDs and tons of music on an external drive. If the zombie apocalypse happened tomorrow I would be too bogged down to flee. I need to streamline. Some of it has to go.

Brainman? I know it's you because you put your name on the cover 4 times. This is Heinz Valetitsch and unfortunately sir, your album has to go. Why you ask? Well to put it simply your music is rather boring. Normally I would say any goa trance is a good thing. But you know why cars have steering wheels?

So they can turn.

This is straight ahead all the way, without power or layers of detail. I know. I know. It was made 17 years ago. The technology wasn't there. Somehow plenty of others managed to make a classic. A previous reviewer hit the nail on the head when he said once you listen to the first minute, you can move on to the next track. Some have said the samples are cheesy and while that may be true, they appeal to me in a rather retro way.

Nothing personal. Not everyone can make a classic that can stand the test of time. So if the zombies do come tomorrow, good luck to you and yours.

IVyqgK0.gif

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neurogen

I WANT to like this album.

I remember back in 1998 when I have just learned about Goatrance, and exactly like T2MU says, every new find seems to be better than the first and its a wonderful adventure. U never know what gems you might discover next.

The first gems beeing Astral Projection, the standards are set high right away.

But like the rest of you, I also find this album pretty boring. Although I remember beeing in my local cd shop in 1998 picking it out from the Trance section and listening to it on the shops avaliable "listen here" cd players and headphones.

Magical times. Magical indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this an underrated album. What I hear in Brainfood is a unique blend of the organic, cosmic sounds of old school goa with the tropes of Scando/forest psy: breakneck tempos, crazy sample work, and a focus on atonal lines, repetition and drones. It's warmer and more harmonious than fr'ex BOTFB (the closest thing I'd compare it to), with an almost New Age sweetness at times. But at the same time, it's kinda gnarly, with beats and synths that drill into my mind. IMHO, rather than sounding out of date, this is something so unique, weird and fresh that it's timeless.

Best tracks: Paradized, Hear The Air, Tranceformation.

8.5/10

I really like the weirdness, the kitsch and the repetition of it...

It's the same feeling I have as with Ubar Tmar: It breaks with the clean, harmonious, happy interpretation as well with the dark, ominous interpretation of 'psychedelic'.

On certain moments, this music is the kind of music I want to hear because I find it very hypnotic and very psychedelic on a way that it makes you weird, insane and makes you freak out :).

That old, simple, banal, repetitive samples contribute to that weirdness, I think.