Infected Mushroom - BP Empire

Guest ripple[at]bespin[dot]org

Guest Anti Gravity

well bp empire is indeed the most emotional release of infected

classical is very good too but more concentrated to dancefloor killers and uplifting

so it's a bit considering the taste of what you are looking for within psychedelic trance I guess

allthough have to admit never listen to those two cd's anymore

listened to them so many times when they were released and at parties they actually threw infected to your head every week

so a bit infected overdose

at the other hand can't blame it, infected was the most melodic and most creative in his time age comparing to all other pschychedelic trance who turned into darker vibes or the upcomming progressive wave.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, DOES being a popular psytrance act mean you cannot satisfy the hardcore psytrancers at the same time? In the case of IM today, undoubtedly! And perhaps the first signs of trouble surfaces here.

Not that there are no decent tracks ON BPE. There are just no exceptional tracks, and most of the time I'm unsure where IM wants to take me. It's psytrance, alright, but for silent reflecting, I find, rather than dancing. Title track B.P. Empire and Noise Maker seems more focused though and would most likely dispatch the bones off to the dancefloors. The remainder is forgettable or even annoying with its use of guitars (hence the reference to the current disasterous status of IM).

And, no, Dancing With Kadafi is not praised by everyone. But IF you like DWK, you will probably like the entire album.

This is my favorite Infected Mushroom album. By far. I agree with SkeletonMan on it being more for silent reflecting than going mad... But what's wrong with that? Listen to this album in it's entirety, or just a few tracks, and get sucked up by it's great imaginative force :)

8/10 (lacks just a little bit of "edge")

So, DOES being a popular psytrance act mean you cannot satisfy the hardcore psytrancers at the same time? In the case of IM today, undoubtedly! And perhaps the first signs of trouble surfaces here.

Not that there are no decent tracks ON BPE. There are just no exceptional tracks, and most of the time I'm unsure where IM wants to take me. It's psytrance, alright, but for silent reflecting, I find, rather than dancing. Title track B.P. Empire and Noise Maker seems more focused though and would most likely dispatch the bones off to the dancefloors. The remainder is forgettable or even annoying with its use of guitars (hence the reference to the current disasterous status of IM).

And, no, Dancing With Kadafi is not praised by everyone. But IF you like DWK, you will probably like the entire album.

541126[/snapback]

I have to agree with u here, not the last part though...

I find DWK the only really interesting track on this album, the rest has'nt had the endurance compared with tracks on "the garthering" and "Classical Mushroom" IMHO!

I was quite dissapointed when I first got this album, especially after getteing the ep with Roll Us A Giant on it (great track!), but I really tried to appreciate the album but the pure magic just wasnt there for me! Still not a bad album...

I fucking LOVE this album. Always have. IMO it is the BEST IM release evarg. Not as cheesy as Classical (i didnt really like classical too much). Very dark and brooding. Unlike anything else ive heard. 10/10 for me.

551591[/snapback]

The Gatering is more dark and psychedelic than B.P. IMO but I guess its all just a matter of taste, as it always is ;)

But can't help feeling this is where the IM lost their touch of psychedelic sound... maybe its just me... I dunno but just feel the imagination doesnt runs as loose as did on the previous releases!

I know u will not agree with me on this one Ov3rdos3 :P

The Gatering is more dark and psychedelic than B.P. IMO but I guess its all just a matter of taste, as it always is ;)

But can't help feeling this is where the IM lost their touch of psychedelic sound... maybe its just me... I dunno but just feel the imagination doesnt runs as loose as did on the previous releases!

I know u will not agree with me on this one Ov3rdos3 :P

551603[/snapback]

Your right. In fact ive actually lost respect for you. Have you forgotten Dancing with Kadafi? eh? have you? have you really?

It's psytrance, alright, but for silent reflecting, I find, rather than dancing.

541126[/snapback]

You make it sound like a bad thing. This album is one of my favourites - as it's just so different and experimental. THIS is what I want from psytrance - innovation, atmosphere, and B.P. Empire delivers on so many levels. The best album from them, by far.

Your right. In fact ive actually lost respect for you. Have you forgotten Dancing with Kadafi? eh? have you? have you really?

551605[/snapback]

:lol: No I haven't! I accually stated that earlier! Sure a beautiful masterpiece, very innovative!!!! Unbalanced, Spaniard, Funchameleon and Tasty Mushroom are great tracks too!!! But tracks like B.P.Empire, Noisemaker and P.G.M doenst don't do it for me, they are their moments... they are not bad tracks! I just get bored after a few listens, what u hear is what u get, and that is not how I felt with the earlier releases. I could find new things everytime I listened to them (of course not every time, but I hope u get my point). This is where this album fails for me, and yes I have been a bit harsh but this was my favorite psychedelic act before and I just felt like they were loosing their edge here!

All in all not a bad album just not as good as the previous releases IMHO! If I had to rate it it would be 8/10.

ED: I might have rated it higher if it was'nt a IM release, expectations sort of sucks some times ;)

• 6 months later...

I find DWK the only really interesting track on this album, the rest has'nt had the endurance compared with tracks on "the garthering" and "Classical Mushroom" IMHO!

I was quite dissapointed when I first got this album, especially after getteing the ep with Roll Us A Giant on it (great track!), but I really tried to appreciate the album but the pure magic just wasnt there for me! Still not a bad album...

Actually, this would be my biggest beef with the album. The fact that I already had "B.P. Empire" in its unmixed version, alongside the seriously spectacular "Roll us a Giant" from the B.P. Empire EP, the album left me only one truly awesome track, the above mentioned "Dancing With Kadafi". Which on its own, however, seems just average compared to some of their prior work. But it remains a more than impressive or decent way to end an album! It certainly did make me smile for at least 10 minutes, which is saying a lot, considering nothing on this album could keep a forced smirk on my face for over forty seconds. I just felt like I had the best tracks before even getting the album, and the biggest irony of them all is that the track "Roll us a Giant" wasn't included on the album, and I always thought of it as being the highlight of the EP, and even outshining each and every album track. Not that the album doesn't have its moments: "Spaniard" is nice, so is "Tasty mushroom" (even though the sample borders stupidity), and I also very much like the piano sample in "Funchameleon" and "Noise maker" could have been beautiful, if I.M. did not decide to riun yet another track with a cheesy sample... But during the course listening of the album, certain parts may seem cool and innovative, upon coming to the album's last track, Dancing With Kadafi, everything else just paled when compared to its greatness... But then, whenever I turn to other and older Infected Mushroom's older classics, I come to realize that Dancing With Kadafi only seems great when confronted with the mediocrity of tracks from this album. And then once the album's time is up, I am left dissatisfied. Even I have to admit that the tracks, only in my humble opinion lack consistency, and that sometimes I prefer to listen to certain tracks on their own, rather than playing the whole album. Moreso, there are sections from some of these tunes that show potential, but they never develop into anything more than a cool "full on" interlude... A lot of build ups are resulting in short explosions of psychedelia. They should have focused on one of these: or make the tracks utterly dance friendly or make a quieter album.

• 3 months later...

This album is pretty special to me because not only was it my first Infected Mushroom album, but it was also my first trance CD ever. I live in the US so trance is rather hard to find here. usually you have to order it. However, BP Empire was released here on a label called Street Beat Records (they didn't release any other IM CDs though) and i was able to buy it in an actual store. Tracks like Never Ever Land and Dancing With Kadafi blew me away. The voice samples were very cool and strategically placed. I'll openly admit IM went downhill from here, but this album will always be magic to my ears.

• 1 year later...

INFECTED MUSHROOM - BP EMPIRE

BNE RECORDS

Posted Image

Track listing:

01. Never Ever Land

02. Unbalanced (Baby Killer Rmx)

03. Spaniard

04. BP Empire

05. Funchameleon

06. Tasty Mushroom

07. Noise Maker

08. PGM

09. Dancing with Kadafi

BP Empire is the last excellent release by Infected Mushroom IMHO. I've been listening to it alot lately. This is their most emotive and arguably their darkest, although it isn't that dark as a whole, Psytrance album to date. Involved is less musical layers relative to Classical Mushroom. But to the general listener, BP Empire is extremely melodic and complex. I also prefer the final track on this album over any final track on any Infected Mushroom album to date. I don't think this album is generic or general sounding in anyway. And while certain people will more or less enjoy certain parts on BP Empire due some unique directions in experimentation that most people seem to love, BP Empire is an intelligent, artistic, and a mature, thoughtful and tremendiously entertaining work of art. I also feel like it has more of a heart over every other Psytrance album by IM todate, although that may be because of the cool, emotive edge present througout the album.

01. Never Ever Land is dynamic, clear and crisp. It's an ethereal beauty with a seriously catchy temper. This is a wonderful fantasy opening. I love listening to it as it develops through its attitudes, tones, and moods. I love how it progresses. These artists make it sound so easy to manipulate such lavishly constructed and catchy waves of distortion and sounds. The drums are fun too, and I've lost track of how many sounds these artists present here, let alone tweak, alter, and blend with other tools of echoes and effects. Never Ever Land is a super opening track that evolves into a brilliant work of experimental Psytrance the more it progresses. A-

02. Unbalanced (Baby Killer Rmx) begins contemplative and emotional and soon develops into a sonic and driving voyage into the cold, yet tempting heart of darkness. Listen to this song while driving fast at nighttime. Built around a strong and driving melody lead, the number stands tall from beginning to end, though rarely travels far from its lead star. A-

03. Spaniard is another high octane, psychedelic and driving dance number. Complimentary to the previous nighttime speed racer, this has gothic, female influenced echoes as the vehicle, this number moves through an alienated city in the future of lost souls and distorted soundscapes. Why can't Infected Mushroom compose imaginative Psytrance work like this and the previous two anymore? What are they afraid of? Is someone afraid of having less of an ego? This groups most powerful work is in their music, not their singing, vocals, and dialogue. A moment involving male vocals in the background is cool. Why can't this group limit their voice work to small, complimentary details like the one here in the final third? It's the little things that make the track magical sometimes, not the big, ego-driven paragraphs of singing. A-

04. BP Empire is an exceptionally climactic surprise thanks to the infection of two amazing leading melodies. I always seem to forget how imaginative, complex, and arresting the second half of this track is. It sneaks up on my ears, regardless of the gradual layering and build up. This song is excellent with a fierce climax that rarely lets off, if only to regroup its energy before taking off again. For sensation over substance, this is one of the strongest tracks this group has ever released. A

05. Funchameleon is another musically delicious number with a delightful buildup coupled with a touch of mischief and evil. The first third of the track is solid but nothing spectacular. But where this track takes us is stunning. There is an interesting, musical score, interlude that just oozes with passion and emotion. Beginning around 4:52 starts off something very intriguing. Here is the push to the darker style I love on this album. These artists just don't make songs like this anymore. And unfortunately the more intense layers ends rather abruptly around 6:00, but musically strong nonetheless. A-

06. Tasty Mushroom is a loud, squeezing, twisting, cranking toy that wants to pop out of its box, but it doesn't grab my consciousness the same way previous tracks did. But the last third does around the wonderful "Tasty Mushroom..." voice sample. This has a very experimental first third, what appears to be something a Mexican tune. Less predictable instrumentals are coupled with ambient, atmosphere. For some reason I love the "tasty mushroom" samples on this song. They're fun, and I don't even do the vegetables! The last third is more powerful and driving and getting to that arena is entertaining. The ride is less addictive than those of previous numbers. This is one of the less stomping, emotive, and dark tracks on the album. It appears more western and/or ethnic influenced due to a certain musical instrument and direction that I cannot specify. B+

07. Noise Maker is a return to the smart and sometimes troubling landscapes of a sound searching for land as it soars the coast. The song is more mid-tempo then previous numbers. It's emotive and in some way relaxing around the hard beat. Suddenly, an extremely emotive score in the middle third sends my soul souring. It's ascending and the song wouldn't feel nearly as infectious or beautiful without it. There is also a high octane, intricate, and delicious combination of sounds that somehow blends into the mix right as the clouds part to reveal an endless ocean of peace, love, and light. How this group was daring enough to put chaos directly next to peace and make it somehow blend is beyond me. It's directions like these that make me wonder why the group doesn't return to what they do best: Innovation in Psytrance without lyrics to distract from their wonderful melody/sound composing and mixing productions. A-

08. PGM is a continuation to the more emotive sounds. This is a solid and emotive Psytrance number to listen to, by a group that once seemed intent on never stopping to impress us. There sound is crisp, heavily mixed, and very well orchestrated. The piano tune is really pretty as the song moves towards the end. A-

09. Dancing with Kadafi is one of the most creatively composed and overall gripping Psy tracks I have ever heard in my life. Few songs have impressed me as much as this closing track. The emotions it goes through, from happy to sad to angry to peaceful is ambitious and very memorable. I wonder if this group will ever produce an album filled with downtempo songs on the level of this colorful world. It's beautifully orchestrated, a benchmark in experimental downtempo psy music, and a number that has been received with love and praise from all over the world. In short, it's a masterpiece. I feel like the artists heart and soul are most revealed in this passion project. And it would be amazing to hear more of the soul that composed this track, not the ego that is producing some of IM's newer, post 2003 work. A

In conclusion, Classical Mushroom has often been my favorite album by this group. But BP Empire occasionally jumps in front of Classical Mushroom depending on the mood I'm in. I always found the debut Gathering excellent, but I never found it as musically rich or as emotive and fun in the same way I find the first two sequels. But my gripe with Classical Mushroom is that the tracks generally becomes less strong and infectious as the album progresses with few exceptions. I love how this album has takes a different approach towards the final third with more chill, yet Psy tracks. It's refreshing actually; many people were judging this album when it first came out for sounding less crazy than Classical Mushroom simply because these artists chose to experiment more on the end. But past the initial expectation of sensation over substance, many people would later find some of their most favorite work by these artists to date on the end of this album. Nonetheless, BP Empire has a wonderful beginning, middle, and end. Sure, some tracks range from quiet, emotive, and contemplative to higher octane and danceable. Some combine both, and I feel that these are some of the most unique and effective here as well. Each song is so well thought out, developed, and creative. If people stopped comparing so much as I tend to do and simply looked at this as a musical piece of art, maybe more could be appreciated rather. A song like Dancing With Kadafi doesn't get old to me. It sounds wonderful, beautiful, intense, and enchanting every time I listen to it. There are no less than solid tracks on this album, and for the most part the album is loaded with back-to-back Psytrance treats. Overall BP Empire is a dynamic release in the Psytrance genre that transcends the genre, although it does not necessarily reinvent it. This is one of the best Psytrance albums I have ever heard. And it is souls like Dancing with Kadafi that stand out the most because there is absolutely nothing out there quite like it, and DWK is a beautiful, developing marvel from beginning to end. It's one of the most technically accomplished, heartfelt, and memorable tracks out there. The closing number is a classic example of innovation and evolution, and the same can be said about this entire album, thanks to a more intellectual, emotive edge over the musically rich and more chaotic, layered, and energized Classical Mushroom.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

A-

• 1 month later...

tasty mushroom is soooo nice

Tasty mushroom is very nice. :D

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

best psy album ever imo. the subtle details.. layer upon layer..the climax's(!).. the flow.. brilliant stuff. this album is a trip in itself i declare. this aint music anymore. its something else.. :ph34r: <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>

or maybe thats just coz i tripped so much to it.. héhéh.</span>

they shouldve invented the 90min cd just for this purpose i say!

but i cant complain really. roll us a giant pulls the level of the single <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(almost)</span> to that of the fullblown album. :]

I think i will agree, its a bit better then twisted, without being better, but stil its better, no okay, i love more Twisted then B.p BUT enjoyable at any time, ill go with this one! in the top 3 of the best albums ever made in the psy scene

this album is dark and light, psy and calming. its absolutely gorgeous, every song is a delight, theres moments in this album that will never be reached anymore this album is the defenition of psytrance, and every producer should takes some hint out of this marvellous, imaginative realease.

10/10 it fuckin equals twisted! and the last min and a half is the best moments ive heard in my entire life(without exageration)

I think i will agree, its a bit better then twisted, without being better, but stil its better, no okay, i love more Twisted then B.p BUT enjoyable at any time, ill go with this one!

i think i will agree. where twisted taps into that source of raw energy & writes a psychedelic bible of some sort, infected takes & sculpts it into a contemporary Venus of Milo.

• 3 years later...
Guest neurogen

not as awesome as Classical but truly truly great.

Question - WHY didnt Symphonatic and Wider (Astrix rmx) made it on this album?!?!

Spaniard their greatest track together with a few others

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite albums of all time.

Question - WHY didnt Symphonatic and Wider (Astrix rmx) made it on this album?!?! I'm asking the same for Facing :-)

Oh wait i know why, they made that track after this album :) And it's probably their last track in this magical B.P.Empire style.. Roll us a Giant from B.P.Empire EP is very good aswell..

If you like this album check out Facing, the last 3 minutes are just amazing..

• 2 months later...

I think this is IM's second best album after Classical Mushroom but contains their greatest work ever with Dancing With Kadafi :wub:

Such an emotional track, I could listen to it every day.