Cat's debut...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest PsiLoCyBe

After the first listen I gave this album a big miss ... and you know what ... I

DUNNO WHY ... coa it's fucking AWESOME !! I wrote a review for "Shapes of

Sound" and EVERYTHING I said there applies for this album.

AWESOME production and engineering skills with a great layout on ALL the tracks

!! Wicked !!! Avi is soooooooo talented !! Great ARTist - Musically apealing

tracks and brilliant production gets a 9/10 !!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

SPACE CAT - BEAM ME UP
BNE RECORDS

http://www.psynews.org/media/covers/beammeup.jpg

01. Invasion - A-

02. Robotalk - A- / A

03. Beam Me Up - A-

04. Space Cats - A- / A

05. Cat On Mushroom - A- / A

06. Kreak - A

07. New Horizon - B+

08. Funky - A-

This is such a strong, creative, and engaging debut. I LOVE the sound/melody (synth) work, psychedelic influence, and supporting sounds and influences to the GOA approach. From Robotalk and Space Cats, to Cat On Mushroom and Kreak-- each track is unique, distinct, excellent. The artist creates a rich, intriguing, and engaging world with each song -- brimming with intelligence, movement, delicious ingredients, and gripping terrain. Talk about futuristic, cybernetic, and elaborate, technological beauty! Simon Postford (Hallucinogen), Transwave, Infected Mushroom, Oforia via MFG, and Elysium collaborated on this album and you can hear the influence.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS

Beam Me Up (self titled track) starts great. The second half to last third however (unlike other songs) could have used a bit more refreshing with ideas and innovation. 

- New Horizon could have been more interesting and memorable. IMO this is one of the less strong songs, compared to most others.

Funky is great and gets better as it progresses, however a melody in its second half sounds a bit too inspired from Astral Projection IMO, though it works and I end up really like / loving this song!

CONCLUSION

This is easily the best Space Cat album EVER RELEASED in my opinion. This debut (Beam Me Up) is so entertaining and fun to listen to-- it's exciting, dynamic, complex, imaginative, risk-taking, visionary, smart edgy, emotive, innovative. I could go on and on. The usage of accents is clever albeit simple and effective too. I love several songs on the second album (Shapes of Sound), though several songs feel inconsistently lackluster to me in contrast to the best ones (unlike here where every song is great if not super). The third album (Power Up) has some great melodies IMO, but it's less Goa influenced with structures that sound a bit more conventional at times. The forth album (Mechanical Dream) is closer to Psytrance influenced Full On or Vice Versa-- more a hit than a miss thankfully, but lacking in super songs IMO. When it comes to Beam Me Up, I'm impressed. I'm right up there with you guys, 100% -- This is one of my favourite albums. This is a MUST HAVE CULT CLASSIC Psychedelic Goa-Trance album. I love it. 

Favorite tracks:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8
A-

My other reviews on Space Cat's albums are now up :)

1999 - Beam Me Up  A-

2000 - Shapes of Sound  B

2002 - Power Up  B+

2004 - Mechanical Dream  B-

Indeed a very nice album. What I like the most is that every track sounds completelly different to the other, mostly because that most of them are collaborations with other famous artists. Surpisingly I'm not a fan of Cat On Mushroom track although I love every other collaborations between them (The Fly, Exposed, 2004).

Possibly my favorite Space Cat album followed by Shapes Of Sound and Mechanical Dream. (I find Power Up really boring).