Darshan - Awakening

Children

It would be so sweet if the artist made a real follow-up album to the style of this album, and better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

woah man don't ask me why but I've missed the boat on this one entirely!! Dark oldschool, or dark from before X-Dream came along and said that for a track to be dark it should sound monotonous... I'm so happy that I found a new oldschool album I can add to my collection :) 9/10

faves: 1, 3, 7

Yes. It would be so sweet if they made a real follow-up album to the style of this album, and better! Take it further than ever before. Dark. Dark melodies. Atmosphere. Intriging and interesting intro like this one, without what I consider several great tracks but a real prococative masterpiece. Wow, the potential, if Darshan still exists as a currently producing artist/group that is.

372791[/snapback]

Grant has recently started making music again, having spent the last few years getting a house together and building himself a studio from the ground up. Literally, from the ground up. Darshan tracks will be along at some point (as will various collaborations B) ), but he's always been into other styles of music too ;)... Proggy psychedelic breakbeat, anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cosmogenesis

Agreed with Manuser, Tranceformations is stunning.

British psy is teh best.

Maybe I'll write a full review some day.

404241[/snapback]

I agree: "Tranceformations" is the absolute masterpiece of this album. I very like his "science fiction" atmosphere, his powerful keyboard play and his "psychaos" dark crazy line. Also the voice sample add a very mystic touch to the track. I give 10/10 for it.

:):)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, after I discovered this album 8 years later, after many many listens I can say this is one of my very favourite trance albums... All tracks are very good, some are simply amazing. 9/10 or something... Right up there with The Lone Deranger, Ultimate Experience and Anno Domini for me.

fucking sci-fi album... can't wait until I can this in 12"

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

DARSHAN - AWAKENING

FLYING RHINO RECORDS

Posted Image

01. 08'14" Awaken

02. 08'47" Sun Probe

03. 09'32" Anja

04. 08'07" Transformations

05. 10'48" Neuroscanner

06. 08'07" ECG

07. 07'37" Kyma

08. 09'47" Electroplasm

I love the atmosphere on this album. If you are looking for roller coaster climaxes, look elsewhere. You won't find any here. This is an exploration album into the darker traces of the Universe. Darshan's style has fewer layers and sounds than the general Goa album. Do you like interesting introductions that pull you into the world? This has them in spades. Do you like thick/crunchy sound textures? Check. What about infectious Goa melodies, ambient notes, subtle eftects, sound effects, industrial rhythms, and other various sounds that compliment a sci-fi feel thoughout? All of these elements would simply be ingredients to an uncooked stew without Darshan's novel delivery and approach. Such an approach delivers a unique approach to goatrance.

This album is about the process, the mysterious "build up" via the music, not the explosion, climax, event per say. The approach is unorthodox. I call it that, all dark Goa albums unorthodox, because the intent and tone is dark whereas the essence of Goa is love and light, spiritual, unconditional, free. This album tells a tale through the opposite end of the mirror spectrum, the darkness. Several songs are more interesting, dynamic, distinct, and involving, psychedelic than others, and to each their own.

01. Awaken is the opening into whatever dark world awaits. This number makes gives no doubt that the experience will be dark and interesting throughout. Sometimes there are voice samples that make a strong lasting impression on the listener. For me, one of them is the "Gardian Angel" sample in Juno Reactor's Beyond the Infinite album. On Awakening it is no doubt Sleep now my Snow White and "in my dreams.. so beautiful." Why is this so effective? What makes it so catchy and interesting? Why did the artist choose such a sample? Regardless of the answers, it adds character and interest to a darkly, rich opening number. From 4:55 to 5:42 is an excellent musical score. This moment sounds like a dark symphony. The track changes up in direction and introduces a smooth, liquid Goa melody soon after to stressed sounds of altered, sustained ambient. Overall this is a chilled taste of things to come. It's a very strong opening track that only gets better with age. B+

02. Sun Probe's story/concept is difficult to grasp based on the strange sound effects followed by the beating heart in the introduction. Is this a robot crying out before going in to surgery? I doubt it. But such details provoke thoughts, regardless of whether they serve a purpose to the story or are simply existent for artistic reasons. It isn't until a hard *thump* clamps down upon the buzzing sounds around 1:10. An interesting voice sample mentions events regarding the solar system. The first really psychedelic melody takes place around 2:30. It's very tasty and the echoed voice samples compliment it. Currently there is no sign of life and this is the second chapter into the dark and mysterious void of Awakening. Thick bands of psychedelic melodies swim together. They sound very good around the 4:15 mark. Key changes seem to take place around 4:45 to 5:55. I forgot or wasn't aware that artists' added key [shift effect] changes in their work back in 1998. Often times I find such key changes provide more character in a song. The track becomes more emotive around the 5:55 mark. Acid lines squash the streams and put their prints all over the rhythm. Around 6:50 takes place the most effective Goa lead on the song. Coupled with strong atmosphere sound, ambient, a second Goa lead, and more, the deep, groovy combination wave seems not to evaporate for quite sometime. It's great. This is a great track. B+

03. Anja has a beautiful new agey, ethereal introduction thanks to a gentle male female voice and some of the most emotive melodies/sounds I've ever heard in dark Goa/Psy since maybe a moment or two on Penta - Pentafiles. Can the rest of the song live up to the elegant opening? For starters, the pretty sound is soon lost. What takes place is an interesting, developing Goa number. Around 3:33 takes place a combination of catchy elements. From around 4:35 - 5:57 develops a beautiful, stirring and emotive rhythm that compliments the opening to near perfection. Also existent is the ethereal voices. This is like a tragic romance song without any Emo drama. At 6:14 is a huge, powerful return to thick and psychedelic, driving form. There are no clouds in the sky, only thick, crunchy, and infectious momentum. Yummy! The change up around 7:24 refreshes the table with new appetizers and each one is delicious. A gripping Goa melody takes place around 8:00, very engaging. The sad, echoed voices return in the end like spirits or angels singing from across the once beautiful and vivacious landscapes. Sirens anyone? There's an addictive draw to the whole mix. I love how this artist combines such unique elements and reprises the best elements throughout change up in music. In other words the songs are not repetitive and yet the best parts are never overdone. They're carefully separated and return only to enhance the experience. This is a pretty, dark Goa track if I ever heard one. It's more sad than angry. B+

04. Transformations has one of the shortest introductions on the album. Several seconds go by and we're thrown into the psychedelic environment like a man being dumped in the middle of a war. Is he capable of surviving and becoming a warrior or will he meet his defeat? The track only becomes more psychedelic and thick with sound textures as it progresses. Goa after Goa leading melody are dispatched in thick streams, into the atmospheric storm of warriors, beasts, and bosses. Not until 3:30 does an event take place strong enough to stop the beat, the chaos. Whatever this is it seems like a boss introduction. The drum rolls into a new, powerful beast of energy and complex, groovy rhythms. I have difficulty describing everything that takes place throughout this stunning Goa/Psy-Trance number. A moment from 5:35 to around 5:55 takes place without the beat. It's darkly enchanting, mysterious, and filled with suspense. The beat returns along with a strong tune. This entire song is awesome. It involves elements that are so captivating and interesting along witht the powerful dance friendly drive. Great song. A-

05. Neuroscanner begins with a strong note of ambient sound. It's as if one of the several suns just came into view on a beautiful planet far away from Planet Earth. Really, these tracks feel out of a memorable Sci-Fi movie. Radio voices enhance the in space (somewhere) feel. A strong beat is littered in Star Wars-esque sound fx. Certain alterations make the track feel more hypnotic and trance-inducing around 3:10. I'm curious how artists achieve this subtle, vibrating and trippy effect to the music. The song conjures up a strong feel with attractive sounds. There is a gentle moment of ambient towards the middle. The music returns more aggressive than before. This is an interesting, solid track. B+

06 ECG begins with an interesting opening regarding female voice sample and something about the most beautiful light she saw. What follows is a crunchy, melodic, Goa/Psy-Trance number. The middle has an interesting transition as the beat volume lowers and takes a back seat to the clear, crisp layers. The opening voice sample continues from the opening. It's interesting and enhances the track. New alterated melodies appear along with bubbly Psy sounds, and other elements of surprise to a danceable beat. A change up in song direction takes place around 6:00. It's very cool how much work this artist seems to invest in the overall tracks. Around 6:50 takes place a catchy Goa melody soon playing tango with another. Overall this is a good track. B+

07. Kyma sounds as if lost on a ghost battle ship or abandoned on a quiet world with sense of threat in the air. The first 1:14 involves some of the catchiest Goa melodies and sounds I've ever heard used to create build up in a beat-free introduction. Again, the winning factor here is in the visual tone, the atmosphere, and the overall environment. The Goa melodies are arresting and snake around the kick with and other sounds. There is a floating, dreamy beat-free transition in the middle. It's excellent. The beat returns along with an interesting, echoed voice sample. The song continues to improve and the overall sound changes up remaining dark and mysterious as it progresses. This artist should contribute in cutting several pieces for the next Pitch Black or Blade Runner-esque film. From around 6:05 to 6:57 involves one of the coolest Goa leads I have heard yet by Darshan. Keep in mind this isn't a big and loud tour de-whatever beam of sound. It's an infectious, motivating melody and it's awesome. A-

08. Electroplasm is a thick, psychedelic, bubbly dance number. But it begins with such an interesting soundscape. The voice sample seems like something out of a Sci-Fi film. The beginning, middle, and ending musical notes, ambient, and incorporation of other various sounds create an emotive, Chill/Psy soundscape both before, during, and after the kick drum. A thick, industural wave of support arrives around the 5:00 mark but cleverly stays in the background, not compromising the gentle notes in the forefront. This is not the greatest, most interesting track on the album but it's solid from A to Z. B / B+

In Conclusion, someone needs tell this artist that he created some of the "most interesting and capturing song introductions" in electronic music. They're rich and absorbing, as are the tracks that follow. The introductions on this album are superb. No song is less than good. It isn't as dark as Sandman's Witchcraft. It isn't as psychedelic, heavy, and intense as BotFB's Twin Sharkfins. Nor is it as detailed and abstract as Double Dragon's Continuum. Darshan's Awakening is atmospheric, sci-fi dark fantasy-esque, and even emotive at times. It is more about contemplation, exploration, and movement. The tone is more psychological and mental than pumped up, angry. Some of the struggles throughout this album seem enternal and/or symbolic. Space and other world "landscapes" through soundscapes provide the atmosphere and environment to such things; the voice samples add nice touches too. This is a catchy album too, and creative! There really isn't anything like Awakening out there. It's full of mystery and atmospheric soundscapes. The combination of Goa and Psy creates an intoxicating beverage at times. The result is an abstract, provocative, moody, and surreal entity. I love the non-linear style and direction too, well his style. No song sounds similar to the one before or after. Although there are areas less infectious than others, certain parts seem to come out of nowhere and capture my attention. This is an underrated album. People who like dark Goatrance should check this out.

Favorite Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8.

B+

This album is one of those who ALWAYS travel with me where ever I go. I can always find a space for any of the tracks in any of my psy sets. For me it is one of the most perfected albums when it comes to mixing diffrent styles. (As said in that other thread hehe). Back when it came out, I gave it 11/10, and my feelings have only grown so it will have to stay at 11/10 :)

• 1 year later...

meh this one seems to miss me, anja is the only one i like and the others all sound and feel too similar, endless waiting for something to happen...

i haven't listened it thoroughly yet...

• 9 months later...

Wow, super dark goa trance. It's got some great attributes; poignant sci fi samples, atmosphere, and a driving beat. I usually love my music to be melody laden, and this has them, but they are mostly subtle. The main ingredient here is mood and how they unfurl the tale. The tracks are well placed as well. Tranceformations comes after a few scaled back somewhat minimal sounding tracks and jars you awake, giving that second wind. I can listen to this all the way through as I feel that is the only way to immerse yourself in what Darshan is trying to create. Sure, sometimes it can sound a little samey and monotonous, but if you catch it when you are in the right mood, watch out.

Mdk

• 8 months later...

This is I think the only goa album that can really comford me if I am down! So deep, it drags you in too the music and out of this world, beautifull! Allmost all the goa I know that trully touches me not just freaks me out is light and melodic goa, but when I am down I really ain't in the mood for melodic stuff so this album is a bless! Generall whenever I feel like listenings to some SERIOUS music this one is soo gooood!

I standes alone in its suble trance style combined with the dark atmosphere and the deep emotion coming out of it! Certainly a favorite no overload at pretty good melodies and sounds but only well thought sounds and melodies with great songs structure ! Quality over quantity in many aspects !

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

"Suddenly I saw myself...like from above looking down. And I started to float into this tunnel, towards this light. And it was the most beautiful light I ever saw."

My opinion on this hasn't changed much. At times it growls, but mostly it's a slow churn of futuristic sounds. The samples depict a dark time for the human condition. No more grass or trees or picnics in the suburbs. Only twisted metal husks remain on a barren landscape. Mad Max meets the Matrix. When I listen to this album I dream of what might've been. How great the tracks could've been with more evolution. But then it wouldn't be Darshan. It's not comparable with the absolute titans of the genre, but it is very solid in it's own right.

Mdk

• 3 years later...

i know this thread is old, and this album is old, but i just recently started to listen to it :)

i saw darshan at lost theory in 2014, and was totally blown away... lots of chemicals involved, but still, i got the feeling that i never heard that kind of music before... like he was playing his sound backwards...

after the festival i listened to spectre, but that album failed to deliver, and i forgot about darshan for a long time..

after once again becoming obsessed with chasing the sound ive heard years ago, i finally listened to awakening... while its not exactly how i remember him playing live, its the closest thing ive found yet...

a dark, vibrating, very dense tapestry of sound... and i normally dont even like dark goa, since i dont like the monotony or the evil vibes...

darshan manages to be dark without any trace of evil, more like melancholy... and the sound is soft instead of harsh... pure YIN!

so my verdict, based on a not-too thourough knowledge of the psytrance genre: 10/10, my favourite trance album of all time :)

so the real question, that i subscribed to this forum just to ask:

can someone please point me to similar sound? id be very grateful... i tried a couple of recommendations ive found (green nuns of the revolution, headscan, talamasca), and while its good sound, nothing really matches this one album

• 2 years later...

Such a sweet album. Reading over the reviews again here I'm surprised that Neuroscanner doesn't get more love, the last 3 minutes of the that track are a highlight of the album.

Agreed that Darshan creates a unique atmosphere. So deep that it just sucks you in.

Also, my favourite track here is Sun Probe. All the sounds layer on top of the bassline perfectly and it's the grooviest one.