Reintegrating the old reviews

mars

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I strongly disagree... The old system SUCKED beyond words compared to what we can offer today... Threads could not be bumped, edited or even moderated.. It was filled with crap - not to mention the formatting which made it very difficult to read. Furthermore, the old system didn't have any login protection at all, which made several threads filled with pointless spam, flamewars and other crap by anonymous users...

It's 2006 now, so reinstating a system that was conceived in 2000 would be absolutely pointless... Also, we've spent a good while parsing + cleaning the old reviews to make any use of them now. So, if you miss the old design that much, I suggest you make use of the cache function @ WebArchive...

/DP

450866[/snapback]

i'll remember things:

-Mars claimed (at the time of the old system), all reviews will be cleaned up, due to a flooding of bullshit posts, by Children & himself. What happened ?

Children tried to do his best like always, asking to be helped by reporting him thread incriminated. Children left Psynews some more or less time after. What did Mars? Nothing .

-Mars Claimed , the current system is temporary, kinda transition before Psynews v2 (it was about flag nations like on Isratrance & other things). What happened? the temporary system had became definitive, we never heard since about the V.2 that.

Result:the reviews had been clean up by Deathposture & Insejn, but not by Mars, the v2 won't never happen ( Mars too lazy chose the quicker way with this pre-built system of board).

Morality:Mars never does things, he always let the others involved in Psynews doing the bad shit. He pretends doing the code of the site, ok, so at least he could take back the old blue left part, if he did by the past he can do it again. I'm sure that's not so difficult to protect it better & integrate it with this not designed at all board.

ps:About moderators, i'm sorry, but since there's a semi dozen of modteam, i find out the ambiance has spoil, it never arrange the site, my view.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll remember things:

-Mars claimed (at the time of the old system), all reviews will be cleaned up, due to a flooding of bullshit posts, by Children & himself. What happened ?

Children tried to do his best like always, asking to be helped by reporting him thread incriminated. Children left Psynews some more or less time after. What did Mars? Nothing .

-Mars Claimed , the current system is temporary, kinda transition before Psynews v2 (it was about flag nations like on Isratrance & other things). What happened? the temporary system had became definitive, we never heard since about the V.2 that.

Result:the reviews had been clean up by Deathposture & Insejn, but not by Mars, the v2 won't never happen ( Mars too lazy chose the quicker way with this pre-built system of board).

Morality:Mars never does things, he always let the others involved in Psynews doing the bad shit. He pretends doing the code of the site, ok, so at least he could take back the old blue left part, if he did by the past he can do it again. I'm sure that's not so difficult to protect it better & integrate it with this not designed at all board.

450873[/snapback]

True, i find this boear alzo shit designed, this is just a template from Invision powerborads how i know, isn´t it?

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

For your information Mars has done more work than me and DP combined, multiplied by two.

450875[/snapback]

The problem of mars is that he doesn't have the time to take care of Psynews, he hardly know what happen on his own site whereas he was able to create a label + doing his real job :rolleyes: . He's acting like a PDG, he's everywhere & nowhere at the same time, he can't do everything perfect.

(i edited the post)

I don´t like that everything is on the forum, look at other forums or Isratrance, for example Isratrance has a review section in the forum and an extra review section on the main site, i would like here something else, and if you searched for compilations etc you found them much faster like now with the crap forum searchengine.

450871[/snapback]

And how many hits do you think those Isratrance reviews get compared to the bumpable review threads in the forums? I'm not saying that Psynews will remain a forum forever, but for now, that's just what we're gonna have to make due with...

And the search engine works perfectly - if you know how to use it! ;)

i'll remember things:

ps:About moderators, i'm sorry, but since there's a semi dozen of modteam, i find out the ambiance has spoil, it never arrange the site, my view.

450873[/snapback]

How about looking forward in stead of backwards old chum? No-one gets paid around here, and yet we still put in A LOT of work... And Mars puts in more work than anyone... He's just operating behind the scenes... You have NO idea how complicated the review-parsing process was... It was 2020 pages that had to be MANUALLY parsed, cleaned, etc... That took A LONG time - and that's without mentioning all the coding that Mars had to do before the parsing system was set up...

So please refrain from calling Mars lazy... Nothing could be further from the truth...

But hey, If you dislike how this site is being run, why are you still here?

For your information Mars has done more work than me and DP combined, multiplied by two.

450875[/snapback]

True... Mars pulled the biggest load here... As usual!

True, i find this boear alzo shit designed, this is just a template from Invision powerborads how i know, isn´t it?

450878[/snapback]

Look, it was NEVER about the design was it? Is Isratrance about the design? Of course not - it's about the content - the added features of Invision is a big phat bonus on top of that... :)

/DP

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

And how many hits do you think those Isratrance reviews get compared to the bumpable review threads in the forums? I'm not saying that Psynews will remain a forum forever, but for now, that's just what we're gonna have to make due with...

How about looking forward in stead of backwards old chum? No-one gets paid around here, and yet we still put in A LOT of work... And Mars puts in more work than anyone... He's just operating behind the scenes... You have NO idea how complicated the review-parsing process was... It was 2020 pages that had to be MANUALLY parsed, cleaned, etc... That took A LONG time - and that's without mentioning all the coding that Mars had to do before the parsing system was set up...

So please refrain from calling Mars lazy... Nothing could be further from the truth...

But hey, If you dislike how this site is being run, why are you still here?

True... Mars pulled the biggest load here... As usual!

Look, it was NEVER about the design was it? Is Isratrance about the design? Of course not - it's about the content - the added features of Invision is a big phat bonus on top of that...  :)

/DP

450890[/snapback]

The aim of this topic is to give everybody opinion, ok?

If you are not pleased with different views from yours, please don't open such a thread.

I don't like the current global system but i can tell it & see what happens then (if i'm a minority or not), maybe something will change or not. Btw i already come here less & less.

About the design, it never been a key thing here ok, nevertheless formerly was decent & bit connected with psytrance (check the logo & compared with the current insipide & sad colours.

If you are not pleased with different views from yours, please don't open such a thread.

I don't like the current global system but i can tell it & see what happens then (if i'm a minority or not), maybe something will change or not. Btw i already come here less & less.

450903[/snapback]

Now you're talking... Yeah, how about we actually try it out, and see how it works... What a great idea! :)

About the design, it never been a key thing here ok, nevertheless formerly was decent & bit connected with psytrance (check the logo & compared with the current insipide & sad colours.

450903[/snapback]

So basically you want the star-background + green/orange buttons back, and you'd feel this site was more connected with psytrance - compared to these sad colors? :P

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I'd advice you to use the cache function @ WebArchive if you want to reminisc about old times... In the meantime, allow me to be happy that the old reviews will be online once again... :)

/DP

450903[/snapback]

The design should aktually have a bit more to do with psytrance, for me it´s no a reason to leave this forum but i would like it to see with a better design.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

The design should aktually have a bit more to do with psytrance, for me it´s no a reason to leave this forum but i would like it to see with a better design.

450913[/snapback]

The main reason is like i said before, the ambiance. It changed, the semi dozen of mod never improved it, & has just contribuated to degrade it.

For example, Deathposture when you told him something opposite to his view always insult you with more or less fineness.

Otherwise for the design is fully agree with Radi.

hey Lotus, why don't you just pull that umbrella outta yer ass en stop being so damn negative all the time.

finally i can find a thread that isn't about fighting, insulting banning or just plain spamming, and then you come in ruining everything....

but hey cheer up everyone, finally psynews will what is was what i first came her for: reviews! :lol: YAY

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

hey Lotus, why don't you just pull that umbrella outta yer ass en stop being so damn negative all the time.

finally i can find a thread that isn't about fighting, insulting banning or just plain spamming, and then you come in ruining everything....

but hey cheer up everyone, finally psynews will what is was what i first came her for: reviews!  :lol: YAY

450928[/snapback]

coz you're thinking your intervention is constructive , postive, not about fighting :lol:

Btw what will happened to the old system with the red highlighted releases?Will it be conserved, adapted or will disappear?

fighting fire with fire

seriously man, what's the point? i mean, it's not like YOU'RE about to reintegrate the reviews, you're just nagging before anything has even happened...how about waiting untill it's done and THEN have your opinion on it..

and in the end it's quite simlple: U don like, U get lost & make your own review website.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

fighting fire with fire

seriously man, what's the point? i mean, it's not like YOU'RE about to reintegrate the reviews, you're just nagging before anything has even happened...how about waiting untill it's done and THEN have your opinion on it..

and in the end it's quite simlple: U don like, U get lost & make your own review website.

450947[/snapback]

Don't need to do this, i don't make review anymore :)

oh jea that's right i really liked the old system with the highlighted releases, and the easy and fast way of reviewing it.

i it's possible, please have a search with lots and lots of different options, and one that isn't as precise as the old one. if you would type one letter wrong, you didn't get any results..

Look, it was NEVER about the design was it? Is Isratrance about the design? Of course not - it's about the content - the added features of Invision is a big phat bonus on top of that...  :)

450890[/snapback]

Imo, it IS about the design. I mean, the design e.g of Isratrance forums is appaling, I could hardly write there anything with this uneasy feeling. So keep that in mind.

oh jea that's right i really liked the old system with the highlighted releases, and the easy and fast way of reviewing it.

i it's possible, please have a search with lots and lots of different options, and one that isn't as precise as the old one. if you would type one letter wrong, you didn't get any results..

450949[/snapback]

The old system was a very long time part of psynews and now noone will at it because everyone is to lacy, isn´t it? Anyway if noone will add the old review will at least someone add descriptions and interviews of the atists etc or will just the reviews be added back?

I'll cast my vote on 91-94, then one a year.

However I must say that I liked the old system better, easier to find what you need and all that. Dont care much for the search as it is today.

But I do understand the time/effort needed to implement such a system again, and I think that you boys and girls are doing a fine job.

Better that the reviews are back in the current form than not at all.

Peace

I'll cast my vote on 91-94, then one a year.

However I must say that I liked the old system better, easier to find what you need and all that. Dont care much for the search as it is today.

But I do understand the time/effort needed to implement such a system again, and I think that you boys and girls are doing a fine job.

Better that the reviews are back in the current form than not at all.

Peace

451206[/snapback]

The old system was great, at least it was designed well and havn´t looked like a standart Invision template like this forum, the template don´t look bad but it looks like a not edited template at all. i saw boards which look exatcly like this one so hat means the forum isn´t edited at all except the psynews.org logo above on the left, but nothing more, but i must be happy with the reviews, old design or not.

I am for one sub forum for 1994 and back (limiting it to 1991 is not a great idea) and then one each year.

BTW, i think it's a must that the review threads can be sorted in alphabetical order! And a must to be able to have it all on one page (i don't know if you can choose how many threads to view on each page, put it would be nice to see all albums).

And stuff.

Keep up the great work!

i'll remember things:

450873[/snapback]

Ahahah I feel the need to answer.

Do YOU know how much time it takes to clean up 2020 static pages and 20000 embedded html reviews ? Do you seriously know ? Now we have some xml/html parsers and tools (which are not sufficient to do it without adaptation anyway), back then it would have been all by hand ! Yes Children wanted to do it, yes he disappeared, no i didn't do anything about that because I knew it would have been hell to do, and, as usually there would have been like max 2 ppl interested in working with me, thus dividing the amount of work by 3 (667 pages, 6667 reviews each...). It's easy to complain when you do nothing whereas I inherited of something I hadn't asked for !

I believe the old pages were the source of the november hack. I removed them and put them in one corner of my hard disk. Yet they had to be reintegrated. When ? When Psynews v2 is out at some uncertain date ? Thus deprive people from these reviews for an undetermined amount of time ? Well I had it in my todolist but DP recalled me that some weeks ago. So I coded a full app of thousands of lines of code, to be able to recover all those old reviews more or less automatically, and we spent a fucking huge amount of time parsing and sorting and editing all these old reviews. Personally, I read and sorted out the reviews of 1089 of the 2020 pages, that is 10000+ reviews, and i will also script like mad to reintegrate them all in this board AND make it well so that it won't be needed to re-parse all if it's needed to put them...elsewhere.

This drives us to Psynews v2 : yes, I said and repeated 10 times I really wanted to do it, but didn't have the time to build and code this new system all alone. I tried to hire people, but the only ones who applied didn't know the right technos or ended up not having the time or the will either. This psynews new-look is a huge thing. LeLotusBleu, you, can you help me ? Are you a decent j2ee conceiver/programmer with lots of time ? Once again I cannot be a full orchestra myself. I have the motivation and abilities to conceive it, not the time to realize it. Once again everyone wants it, noone wants to work on it. And i won't sacrifice all my nights with that. Honnestly I happen to work on it, the database is done, some code too but that's a huge thing. If I ask now for helpers, wanna count the answers ?

I have indeed other things in life besides : my girlfriend, the label, my career, demomaking, some company project, reading, going to the movies, etc... Some guys I know call me "Monsieur le Ministre", ok I admit I'm overbooked and I'm afraid I'm no longer a student full of time since 2002.

But...are you entitled to call me *lazy* ?

Well Psynews has quite a low priority in all that but i'm always available when needed : behind the scenes, I took care of the server maintenance, the domain names, the bandwidth, the administration of the webserver, mailserver, ftpserver, database, installation of a new board when we were flooded by Bruce, clean up of the spam and the spammers, took 2 full weeks rebuilding the system and securing all when it was hacked, was available every night to the mods to settle some things, etc... not posting doesn't mean not being active.

Now, know this is not really a temporary system we have here. The old site itself was unsecure and removed, forever, i wont take the risk to bring it back. Sorry for those nostalgic of the old layout. So what we have here is a forum, only and NO site at all. That's what all we have when typing http://www.psynews.org. The forum should be only a part of the site, but the logic has switch in front of the needs and the forum is now partially used as a content management system to keep all the site data alive. When we have a new site, i'll put back the menu, ok ?

Oh and about the ambiance, I think the problem is about really negative people here, not the mods who are endlessly comprehensive, and let many many things happen without saying anything. Do you guys really think you are refrained from posting with the stated rules that tell the least we can expect from responsible people ?

If you, personnally, have problems with the mods team of one if its members, please don't take it as a general point.

Bien le bonjour.