Der Dritte Raum

seraph

I have been listening a lot lately all of their albums, and I am still amazed by their unique style, artistically combining different styles, constantly morphing but always remaining true to themselves.

They have very good skills and musical arrangements, even minimalistic they still have many layers and surprises all around. Andreas Kruger and Ralf Uhrlandt are for sure very talented musicians and that brought them to sign for Sven Vath brilliant label HARTHOUSE.

They started earlier, back in 1993 but only released few singles before first MENTAL MODULATOR in 1994. This musical perfection immediately made them popular among underground trance scene and this album is so concrete, brilliantly crafted and focused that I am still amazed by the arrangements they did back then. Their second one WELLENBAD, released in 1996 went more tribal and psychedelic and it is also among the best electronic albums ever. After a while, they released their third SPACEGLIDER at the end of 1998 which entirely made them as cult trance act.

This three albums alltogether make some kind of trilogy considering space travelling ideas and trips. I haven't heard their album DISTANZ but I suspect they stayed true to themselves. They needed another 3 years to make next album, KLUBRAUM which is pretty good but far from their style. They minimised their sound even more and did a house approach. While you can still hear their old sounds and effects, the whole idea got rather flat, but they do succeed to nevertheless entertain you in their own manner.

I still haven't heard their new album, from last year DER KLEINE KORG UND DAS ECHO, but I have read somewhere pretty good reviews and of course, I expect them for not entirely blewing up the whole thing.

DISCOGRAPHY :

1994 - Mental Modulator

1996 - Wellenbad

1998 - Spaceglider

2000 - Distanz

2003 - Klubraum

2005 - Der Kleine Korg Und Das Echo

What do you guys think ?

Guest Astro Cortex

Hmm rather "The Third Space", don't you think? ;)

I haven't heard much of their stuff, possibly not more than their two tracks on the Symbiosis "Funk" compilation (Trommelmaschine, Alienoid).

But maybe I'll check out their albums sometime. Thanks for the tip :) .

I have put first THE THIRD SPACE in the title but had to check one more time before I post it, so I saw on one site translated The Third Area, so that it's why I put it...Argh ! :D

Guest Astro Cortex

Raum means Room doesn't it?

A bit funny if you're a Norwegian (which you're probably not) but "dritt" in Norwegian means "shit".

450584[/snapback]

LOL

Raum can mean either "room" or "space", just like these two words can have the same meaning in English. "Area" would be "Fläche" or "Gebiet" in German, in any case it is flat, as opposed to "space".

one of the few who didn't sell out  :)

450619[/snapback]

Quite right over there, that's why I respect them even more...have you heard their last album to actually back that up ? :rolleyes:

only have Raumgleiter but its very good very nice original style.

451421[/snapback]

If you liked it then get for sure first two, as well...;)

A very good act for sure.

Wellenbad und raumgleiter are my favourites.

Don't own any of their albums, but "Hale Bopp" is one HELL of a monster-track!!

The essence of minimal/progressive to me...

Try listening to Lava before and just let the tracks slide into one another.

Peace

I have four of their albums (Mental Modulator, Spaceglider, Wellenbad and Distanz), and I like them all, especially Mental Modulator, which is a real classic. Distanz isn't quite as good as the others though.

They can be quite uneven, but at their best they make excellent minimalistic trance, techno or whatever you choose to call it. The best tune I've heard from them is probably "Stella", from Mental Modulator. Simply awesome!

They've also released some stuff under the alias Dr. DNA which is equally brilliant, check it out if you haven't already.

Some facts need straightening up :)

Der Dritte Raum are not "they" - they're only him (Andreas Krüger). That other guy helps out live, but that's pretty much it.

The first album is not really an album, but the 5-track E.P "Elektro Disko" from '94 - I'm pretty sure Mental Modulator is from '95. If you get the chance, check out "Elektro Disko" - it's terrific. It sounds slightly more modern than MM and Wellenbad, and way newer than '94.

I haven't checked it out myself, but another side project from Andreas Krüger is "Der(/die/das?) stern von Afrika" or something similar - it's supposedly good :)

The albums are good, no question there - but where they are good, the live-performances are even better. If you ever get the chance, take it. Doesn't matter if you have to travel around the world - it's da bomb (das bomb?). In the old days, two seperate setups were used, with no actual syncronization. Andreas and that-other-guy just played by ear - it was sooo cool, the way a random drummachine suddenly decided to play it's own tune, and they had to adjust tempo on the fly. The cross-overs between the setups created some damn cool interludes that were neither here nor there. Awesome.

- Oh well, I could talk DDR all night, but since it IS night... Goodnight :)

-A

edit: I forgot - DDR - the webpage. There are snippets from the new album, and it's very promising!

The albums are good, no question there - but where they are good, the live-performances are even better. If you ever get the chance, take it. Doesn't matter if you have to travel around the world - it's da bomb (das bomb?). In the old days, two seperate setups were used, with no actual syncronization. Andreas and that-other-guy just played by ear - it was sooo cool, the way a random drummachine suddenly decided to play it's own tune, and they had to adjust tempo on the fly. The cross-overs between the setups created some damn cool interludes that were neither here nor there. Awesome.

452331[/snapback]

I still haven't heard them live, when they've suppose to come, they missed their flight so I still haven't heard them live, argh, but I found their old live set from 1996 and it was perfect ! If you ever come across theirs Operation Beatblitz Clubnight Live Act, download it and listen to it, 2 hours of ultimate cosmic journey...:D

I still haven't heard them live, when they've suppose to come, they missed their flight so I still haven't heard them live, argh, but I found their old live set from 1996 and it was perfect ! If you ever come across theirs Operation Beatblitz Clubnight Live Act, download it and listen to it, 2 hours of ultimate cosmic journey...:D

452425[/snapback]

I did a little search, but nothing came up. However, I have (on cassette tape) a recording of a live-performance in 1996-97 - the last half at least. I long planned to digitalize it, and when I do, I'll notify psynews :)

edit: oh yeah, and crap: The new album is already sold out at the major web-shops :(

-A

Guest djnemo

DDR is one of my all time favourites. Never trying to sound like anything but Der Dritte Raum, not following trends, and SETTING quiet some trends for other artists.

Very genuine music, and in MY taste, very frikking good as well.

I have almost everything released by DDR :)

EDIT: YALL KNOW IM DYSLEXIC! :D

der ditte raum's been one of my favourites ever. they have created several classics of techno trance music.

i see "spaceglider" in the discography. on my original copy its written "raumgleiter" (which is spaceglider in german). however, POLARSTERN (stella polaris) is THE tune!

der ditte raum's been one of my favourites ever. they have created several classics of techno trance music.

i see "spaceglider" in the discography. on my original copy its written "raumgleiter" (which is spaceglider in german). however, POLARSTERN (stella polaris) is THE tune!

453287[/snapback]

Ummm, yeah, but their original name of that album was SPACEGLIDER, they re-released it in 2004 under the name RAUMGLEITER...;)